g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It's weird that someone the size of Haaland is easily pocketed by defenders who are technically midgets. First Martinez, now Shaw, who's not even a CB...
It’s funny aswell because their tactic was to drop haaland a little deeper to make Shaw or Varane follow him which will put them out of position but that didn’t work.

crossy1686

career ending
It’s funny aswell because their tactic was to drop haaland a little deeper to make Shaw or Varane follow him which will put them out of position but that didn’t work.
Imagine dropping into Casemiro territory and thinking you'll get more time and space?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That Grealish goal seemed like it was planned because Haaland didn't get a sniff at all, so during the cross he purposely went back instead of trying to head the ball. Which would have been a good tactic had he baited our CBs to follow him. But they all remained in place and Grealish only scored because KDB put it on a plater for him. Haaland contributed feck all yesterday. Hopefully this will be the start and more teams will deal with him the same way.

Water Melon

Citeh fans losing their collective shit all over social media about “that” goal.

Cry me a blue river - I’ll grab my kayak and paddle down the stream of your tears singing Glory Glory Man United whilst wiping my butt with a Citeh shirt.
This poster should be promoted just for this gem alone.

DJ_21

Imagine dropping into Casemiro territory and thinking you'll get more time and space?
Another reason he probably dropped deep aswell was to get an actual touch on the ball :lol: They had a lot of passes along the back but could rarely pass it upfront.

Pavl3n

And he kept kicking the ball at City players in our own half
Exactly. He had 2 or 3 misplaced passes, just after the restart, when we needed to keep control of the ball while City were gaining momentum. I don't recall David coming out of his line to collect a cross or anything. Those ratings really baffle me.

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly. He had 2 or 3 misplaced passes, just after the restart, when we needed to keep control of the ball while City were gaining momentum. I don't recall David coming out of his line to collect a cross or anything. Those ratings really baffle me.
When we win, everyone gets a blanket 6 score minimum, unless they make a massive mistake. For me though, it's games like this where Dave really shows his deficiencies

Robertd0803

Anyone know how BT got to show the game ahead of Sky? Seems like a really obvious first choice pick for Sky.

IRN-BRUno

Brilliant result, atmosphere sounded amazing as well. Almost 24 hours after the game kicked-off and I still haven't fully calmed down!

cyberman

Anyone know how BT got to show the game ahead of Sky? Seems like a really obvious first choice pick for Sky.
I read it’s because both clubs were earmarked for FA cup replays on Tuesday if it were needed so it couldn’t be played on Sunday then ask either side to play on Tuesday again.
Could be wrong but I thought Brighton v Liverpool would be a tv tie but Liverpool are actually playing Tuesday so maybe that’s the same principle

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
:lol: He's shit mate, stop trying to make Martial happen.
I am not a Martial fan by any means however, losing him made a huge difference in that second half. We had no out, no one to control the ball higher up the pitch and no one to feed the ball into others. I'll be honest, I was calling him shit too until the second half where it became obvious how important he was.

Either way, Ten Hag likes and knows more than you and I.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Garnacho running himself onside for the second goal was pure football IQ

Quality

crossy1686

career ending
I am not a Martial fan by any means however, losing him made a huge difference in that second half. We had no out, no one to control the ball higher up the pitch and no one to feed the ball into others. I'll be honest, I was calling him shit too until the second half where it became obvious how important he was.

Either way, Ten Hag likes and knows more than you and I.
Him dropping deep to offer a passing option opened more space in behind him for Rashford to run into, I'll admit that much, but his overall game is poor and he needs to improve massively. Towards the end of the first half they were letting him drop deep and have the ball, the CB's didn't bother pressing him anymore because they were more worried about Rashford than him. What he was doing in the first half, I'm confident Weghorst can do effectively also, and with more gusto.

Last edited:

captaincantona

Him dropping deep to offer a passing option opened more space in behind him for Rashford to run into, I'll admit that much, but his overall game is poor and he needs to improve massively. Towards the end of the second half they were letting him drop deep and have the ball, the CB's didn't bother pressing him anymore because they were more worried about Rashford than him. What he was doing in the first half, I'm confident Weghorst can do effectively also, and with more gusto.
He clearly wasn’t right yesterday…fitness in question…but still added to how we played. We missed him second half. Hope he is fully fit soon.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
The passion showed by both Casemiro and Varane is infectious. Just out and out winners. Won so much yet still so driven to do it again with Utd.

im buying myself a “tell them I’ll fix this…” t-shirt.
I was just thinking about this. Our two real madrid signings have just the best attitude, just the way they stand on the pitch make our rivals shit their pants. We can dislike RM but i think the reason they're the most successful team in history is because they usually go after innate winners.

Glad they're with us now :D they and bruno are the kind of players we have to bring also. People who only care about crushing the rivals and scoring as fast as possible

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I was pleased with the performance, on the whole, but the result was brilliant.
I get the city faithful and players moaning about the Bruno goal, but for me they have to look at why, with 71% possession, they only had 5 shots, with one on target, and similar against Southampton in midweek, that is what they should be concerned with.
First half looked a bit cagey, while we looked solid at the back and midfield, and really should have exploited at least one of the three good opportunities that came our way. Bruno's shot was fair enough, and it would have to have been a great effort from there to score, but Rashford's two chances should have been converted, primarily he could, and should have slipped the ball to Martial on both occasions, Martial had created a little bit of space for both chances, and I feel that this is still an area of Rashford's game that could improve.
First 20 minutes of the second half United stood off city, and subsequently they created their best opportunities, but with Varane and Shaw being immense in there, the chances, until the goal, were zero. I felt Rashford could have tracked DeBruyne into the box, but let him go, and we got caught with three against two at the back stick, AWB has been criticized for not picking up Grealish, but as a defender you mark the player closest to the goal, so no blame for that from me.
It sounds like I'm having a go at Rashy, but far from it, I think with a little bit of composure with those chances in and around the box he could become a world class performer.
All in all, a very pleasing day for United, both performance and result, looking forward to Palace, which will be tough, and Arsenal, who I think we can hit on the break as they, like city, will have possibly up to 70% possession.

Last edited:

Cantonalegod

It's weird that someone the size of Haaland is easily pocketed by defenders who are technically midgets. First Martinez, now Shaw, who's not even a CB...
Not sure Shaw qualifies as a bona fide midget.

Depending who you believe he's between 5'11"" and 6'1".

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I wouldn't have been surprised if Bruno's goal had been disallowed. However, given the rule, it was the right decision, whatever people say about Edison's positioning to cope with Rashford (Bruno was about two feet away from him). Have to say, though, that the rule - as we so many at the moment - is a bit crazy

bosskeano

even the gaffer said he would have been angered about the goal counting but given the rule, it was the right decision.

clearly that rule needs to change but thankfully it benefited us in this occasion

NLunited

What a game, I had to watch the game later because of work, but it was worth saving it.

While City is technically still better than us, I’d say we played a better game. Defended well in first half and exploited them, but without rewarding ourselves.

City put more pressure on us in second half and got their goal, but always were vulnerable in back. We showed spirit and turned it around.

Tactically we did better. Our game plan created more opportunities for us and we won deservedly. That’s all that matters. We are a b*tch to play against and City was naive thinking they could play the way they did.

Good going for a team that is still a couple players short of competing for the title.

DJ_21

Isn’t anything under 6ft a midget these days?

Looking forward to seeing Chelsea’s new Ukraine winger by the way, he’s 5’9! He’ll need stilts to play
Foden is about 5’7 and plays out wide for city and saka is 5’10. Wingers need to be quick and nippy so that height isn’t bad for a winger.

crossy1686

career ending
Foden is about 5’7 and plays out wide for city and saka is 5’10. Wingers need to be quick and nippy so that height isn’t bad for a winger.
Yeah but Foden is a school boy masquerading as a fully grown man. If you put a school uniform on him he wouldn’t look out of place in a year 11 classroom.

Maticmaker

Great morale booster for players and supporters, nothing like beating your local rivals at your place.
We didn't have it all our own way (no one expected that either), but when we good we were very good, especially at defending against the City 'tippy-tappy' approach play. Kept our shape brilliantly in the first half and consequently locked up the City arsenal, equally we had a few good chances but didn't make them pay off.
I'd have been pi**ed off about our equaliser like City were, but Marcus showed he was concentrating and Bruno (who for me was man of the match) who covered ever blade of grass at OT... twice over, was right there to finish off the move. We didn't do anything wrong and the ref made a decision that Var couldn't find fault with.
Not seen OT 'rock' like that last 15 minutes for sometime, lets hope it continues.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah I had a problem with Ten Hag's performance and decisions in the first few months but he has been great recently. I think the improvement in the team play style and mentality started to appear before the World Cup and now I can say he really managed to transform the team. We are definitely on the right track at the moment. Hopefully we keep building on this.
Yeah absolutely, I think with each passing performance he’s proving himself better and better. Squad rotation, changing tactics a little, getting almost the entire squad to perform. Long may it continue :drool:

Member 101269

Loving there are 235 pages on Bluemoon, nearly all crying it's unfair.

Red71

No one will point it out but City made about 6 dives in the box trying to draw penalties in the second half. It's hard to feel sorry they got done by a dodgy call the other way, unless they were planning to deliberately miss any of the pens should they have been awarded.
Yeah, we noticed this too…plus their usual shithousery. They really know all of the tricks but this team of ours is a bit more canny and street wise now and isn’t so naive. It pleased us no end to see these blue nose cnuts resort to pumping the ball into the box in desperation at the end, Big Sam style!

The so called controversial goal and the media narrative winds me up though. Yeah, Rashford did run through offside but let the ref and lino do their job and you as the team supposedly defending do your job. Regardless of Rashford, nobody was stopping the rest of their defence or midfield matching Bruno’s run or blocking his shot. What happened to play to the whistle? Haven’t seen this mentioned at all in the media in their desperation to stick up for poor little city.

I’ve also not seen too many in the media pick up on saint pep’s comments about our team…grudging praise mixed in with snide stuff about how we always play on the break and that we won because we always get decisions in our favour, because it’s Old Trafford…sort of implied that the ref and team were overawed by being at OT. Nobody in the media ever picks up on this stuff but this’ll come back to haunt us when decisions we should be getting start to go against us again…he’s a cnut!

Probably made the result all the sweeter!!! :D

Cantonalegod

Amazingly Shearer on twitter said it was a goal, as per the current laws.

Shocked, he normally tries to hammer us at every opportunity!

manclad1256

Amazingly Shearer on twitter said it was a goal, as per the current laws.

Shocked, he normally tries to hammer us at every opportunity!
He replied to a guy saying ‘surely it was interfering’ and put ‘absolutely’. Am I missing something?

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City