PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 18 November 2017

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Sat in a pub in Liverpool city center watching the game, and listening to the jeers when Newcastle scored, then more laughter at our failed attempts. Funny watching people leave after Pogba scored the third. Very satisfying.

Handsome Devil

Watching the goals again, I liked the way we didn't even celebrate the equalizing goal, as if the players were saying to themselves "good but that's not enough, get the ball back ASAP as we must win". Great character and responsibility from the team that we missed a lot post SAF years.
You know, there are people on here who will be hating positivity and honest enjoyment like this.
I say more please!

ghagua

No way! Mata was our second best player today after Pogba. Just because he doesn’t get the stats (goals and assists) he’s so damn under rated! This front five should start most games!
What on earth made him the 2nd best player behind Pogba yesterday? Isn't his job to score goals and create as an attacking player, if he is doing neither, how is playing good?. He has been piss poor the entire season, that is why he lost his starting role.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Also Mata must start every game from now on. He was lively, all over the pitch and after Matić he ran the most I think. So much better than Mickhi in that position.
So far as I could tell, except for the first minutes when Rashford was on the left, Mata played his regular position, rightwinger drifting centrally with a lot of freedom of movement. Mkhitaryan has played consistently (bad) as #10.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Didn't Zlatan made fun of Pogba for not being here while injured?
I think the thing was ... the interviewer was asking if the dressing room vibe had improved 'did you feel the team had more fight in them' (now that Pogba and Zlatan are back), and Pogba was being very cagey and correct, saying 'No. To be honest, I see the same team. No'. Zlatan, ever the messer, was going, 'how do you know, you weren't there'. A good point, I suppose. You wonder what the underlying vibes/dynamics are with all the massive egos going around. But Zlatan is a fascinating mixture of bravado and vulnerablility. 'I am not worried'. It was interesting the answers the two of them gave to how was it to watch from the sidelines. Truth is, I suspect, that the vibe in the dressing room is lifted by rich and colourful personalities. Of course there was always De Gea, Matic - maybe in a quiet way - Mata, too. But these two... Among the many things they bring is personality, unpredictability and imagination. They help fuel the OT fear factor for opponents, and dust a frission of magic in every dressing room or playing field.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I think the thing was ... the interviewer was asking if the dressing room vibe had improved 'did you feel the team had more fight in them' (now that Pogba and Zlatan are back), and Pogba was being very cagey and correct, saying 'No. To be honest, I see the same team. No'. Zlatan, ever the messer, was going, 'how do you know, you weren't there'. A good point, I suppose. You wonder what the underlying vibes/dynamics are with all the massive egos going around. But Zlatan is a fascinating mixture of bravado and vulnerablility. 'I am not worried'. It was interesting the answers the two of them gave to how was it to watch from the sidelines. Truth is, I suspect, that the vibe in the dressing room is lifted by rich and colourful personalities. Of course there was always De Gea, Matic - maybe in a quiet way - Mata, too. But these two... Among the many things they bring is personality, unpredictability and imagination. They help fuel the OT fear factor for opponents, and dust a frission of magic in every dressing room or playing field.
Yeah, I agree, it was a lighthearted comment.

SuperiorXI

Sat in a pub in Liverpool city center watching the game, and listening to the jeers when Newcastle scored, then more laughter at our failed attempts. Funny watching people leave after Pogba scored the third. Very satisfying.
I've done this myself. fecking brilliant. They're so bitter when we win they just can't take it and it makes it so much better.

Shimo

Think the plan to play Rasfhord behind Lukaku was really dumb. It made us completely disjointed as there was no proper link between the midfield and the forwards. It also left us vulnerable in the middle as it made it easy for Newcastle to get past our midfield in numbers.

Mourinho said neither Rashford or Martial like to play on the right but, my makes no sense to play Mata there instead. Mata is better as a 10 and Martial or Rashford is far better option than Mata on the right. I was salivating at the thought of Mata in the middle controlling play along side Pogba and feeding the pace of Lukaku, Martial and Rashford in front of him.

That said - that was enjoyable as the game progressed. Pogba was such a huge miss, the just moves the ball that much quicker, those outside of the right boot passes, the taking on players and going past them and making players commit - so nice to see again.

Zlatan being Zlatan and seeing Rojo on the bench. I have a lot of optimism leading up to the City game - who are flying but, I can see us getting points back against them. Just need to make sure we handle our business leading up that game.

Dr Fink

Agreed, Rashford behind Rom was awful Rashford was woeful first 30 mins. Pushing Mata out to the right was worse. I really fancied the line up beforehand too - Mata in his preferred 10 role. We clicked after 30 mins. It was then the Pogba show. Brilliant he's back oh and Zlatan too! Amused me when he came on and told Lukaku that he was playing down the middle and that Rom should play on the right. Who's the boss? LOL

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nice to see a few goals again.It was only Newcastle though.
It was only Huddersfield and Stoke though but we were still shite.

Point is, you have to put weaker opposition away. I'm sure Pep doesn't consider the weakness of the opposition more the performance and opportunities to score

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Just looked back at the first half again. One little subplot was the Ashley Young/Chris Smalling show. They had a few issues in the first twenty minutes on the Newcastle right, Yedelin etc., then they do some good last ditch stuff. Young winds up delivering a number of decent balls or nearly decent until eventually he sends in the one that is buried by Mike

Sing you a song

Very good performance and fantastic to see Rashford and Martial both on the pitch and Mata playing In his best position .Pogba is just different class and signing matic to sit next to him was a master stroke .
The return of Pog and Zlatan gave everyone a lift .
For me one of the highlights of the night was Zlatan and Pogba being interviewed after the game , the sheer joy they have for the game , the confidence they have the dynamism and creativity they bring is inspirational I think Zlatan has put himself through hell to come back and you just know he hasn't come back to finish second .
Keep Pogba fit and Zlatan involved and the confidence will build throughout the team .
Finally all these years after Eric we have another King ... the Lion King !

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Pretty much all positives; we had a concede a goal at home some time! Lots of good performances, although I have no idea what Young and Smalling were doing when Newcastle scored. Great to see Pogba looking so strong in first game back (although it wasn't exactly the most testing of oppositions) and I think Zlatan still has some way to go to be match fit; I was a little worried what would happen if he got a fierce tackle. We also learned that Smalling and Lindeloff is the CB pairing from hell! But, in general, nice to see us playing properly again

marlowe78

I think Newcastle did us a big favor by scoring. Up until that goal we simply weren't playing well enough, without any real energy or ambition. We really struggled with their pressing, which makes me wonder why Fellaini didn't start to give us an escape route?

Anyway, our play started to really kick on after we fell behind and Newcastle's defending became a shambles as the talent of our players came out. Pogba was a crippling miss for us over the last few weeks. Martial again excellent and I'm sure Jose is paying close attention to it. So glad to see Lukaku end his scoring drought.

Other positives:

- 4 different goal scorers - other players creating offense when Lukaku is going through a striker's normal dry spell

- Pogba and Matic combination looking boss again

- Young still doing a very good job at LB

- De Gea...Yeah, well, are we surprised?

Negatives:

- Poor start to the game, not enough movement or players giving support to the ball carriers

- Mata - had a very good 2nd half but was absent when the game started

- Lindelof - I criticized him during the game and was probably very harsh, but he makes me so nervous whenever having to defend. I hope and want him to be a good player for us but cripes...

- Rafa Benitez looks too much like an over-aged Count Dracula

Overall, I'd give us about a 7 out of 10. Would probably be 8 or 9 without the rubbish goal to start things.

Last edited:

ravelston

Pretty much all positives; we had a concede a goal at home some time! Lots of good performances, although I have no idea what Young and Smalling were doing when Newcastle scored. Great to see Pogba looking so strong in first game back (although it wasn't exactly the most testing of oppositions) and I think Zlatan still has some way to go to be match fit; I was a little worried what would happen if he got a fierce tackle. We also learned that Smalling and Lindeloff is the CB pairing from hell! But, in general, nice to see us playing properly again
I think they were doing their jobs and expecting Lindelof to do his (although his imitation of a new born foal was quite appealing).

PieCrust

Just looked back at the first half again. One little subplot was the Ashley Young/Chris Smalling show. They had a few issues in the first twenty minutes on the Newcastle right, Yedelin etc., then they do some good last ditch stuff. Young winds up delivering a number of decent balls or nearly decent until eventually he sends in the one that is buried by Mike
Young will always be beaten or have a really tough time with players like Yedlin, tons of pace, physical, and at least a little bit of skill, i.e., the modern full back. But we all know Young isn't a full back and obviously defending is his weakest area, I expect him to give up a chance or two every match he plays. It's just part of the risk/benefit calculation of playing 2 converted wingers at FB.

Oldyella

Young will always be beaten or have a really tough time with players like Yedlin, tons of pace, physical, and at least a little bit of skill, i.e., the modern full back. But we all know Young isn't a full back and obviously defending is his weakest area, I expect him to give up a chance or two every match he plays. It's just part of the risk/benefit calculation of playing 2 converted wingers at FB.
He really looked his age for their goal I thought. Hes had a decent resurgence last month or two, but its the 1st position I would be looking to strengthen even before the right wing.

PieCrust

He really looked his age for their goal I thought. Hes had a decent resurgence last month or two, but its the 1st position I would be looking to strengthen even before the right wing.
Yeah, it was really weird this last summer not signing a LB. I thought it meant that Shaw was going to be given his first team opportunity under Jose, but since that has been so obviously not the case, I cannot understand why we were never in for a LB. Young, Darmian, Blind, Rojo, Shaw.....none of those guys are the future there.

Sb213

Supports
Newcastle
Newcastle fan here who was at the match. Well I was in dream land for about 20 mins of that first half shame about what went on in the next hour like. Pogba obviously ran the game but thought we stood off him too much as we did for a few of the goals. Certainly looked like we were a league apart once you went in front. Must admit i was surprised by the lack of noise from the home end as well as the amount of people who left early. During the last ten minutes I had to remember we weren't the ones who were 4-1 up judging by the two sets of fans.

Reactions: Akshay

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Newcastle fan here who was at the match. Well I was in dream land for about 20 mins of that first half shame about what went on in the next hour like. Pogba obviously ran the game but thought we stood off him too much as we did for a few of the goals. Certainly looked like we were a league apart once you went in front. Must admit i was surprised by the lack of noise from the home end as well as the amount of people who left early. During the last ten minutes I had to remember we weren't the ones who were 4-1 up judging by the two sets of fans.
This! What is happening at Old Trafford ? It was saturday night, good game, lots of goals and still people quiet and leaving early.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The acoustics at OT are horrible. It's difficult to get a chant between opposite ends going because you can't hear each other. None of the big teams at home have a good atmosphere because there's a lot of tourists and no safe standing.

Sb213

Supports
Newcastle
The acoustics at OT are horrible. It's difficult to get a chant between opposite ends going because you can't hear each other. None of the big teams at home have a good atmosphere because there's a lot of tourists and no safe standing.
mind I have never seen so many scarf sellers together in one place. Walking to the away end up you couldn't 5 steps without going past another one.

edgar allan

mind I have never seen so many scarf sellers together in one place. Walking to the away end up you couldn't 5 steps without going past another one.
Personally I think anyone over the age of 16 that buys one of those half n half match day scarves should be refused admission.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm embarrassed by ticket holders at Anfield. Its not about the ground, the extension, the seats, the day or the time of the day. Its life long local scousers (young and old) that just can't be arsed to sing/make noise anymore. I cringe when watching us on TV with three minutes left as there will be the inevitable YN-WA chant that will last all of 45 seconds to prove we're still passionate fans. Its fcking pathetic. :mad::(

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It was only Huddersfield and Stoke though but we were still shite.

Point is, you have to put weaker opposition away. I'm sure Pep doesn't consider the weakness of the opposition more the performance and opportunities to score
I take your point , my point is that it would be nice to see us taking a good side apart, we haven't done it in a while.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 31% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle