PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 October 2018

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Sorry but I don’t just blindly support and forget everything else that’s happening at the club. I’m not a simpleton. A couple of goals here or there doesn’t change the reality of what is happening. This idea that you are a shit fan because you refuse to celebrate every win, and put your head in the sand to the wider narrative, is just naive in my opinion. I respect that everyone shows their love for the club in a different way, fair play to that. But I am disgusted by the people we have in charge. I’ve supported the club for well over 30 years, and I’ll voice my disgust however I see fit. One win, doesn’t change a single iota in my mind. And the problem centers around the toxic individual in charge.
You can still hold all those opinions and celebrate a thrilling comeback though, and maybe you did, I don't know. It doesn't sound like you did and I just find that... I don't know .I don't want to say sad or that I feel sorry for you, but I don't know how else to put it.

I'm not burying my head in the sand or a 'simpleton', because I'm able to suspend my dislike for what's happening at the club for 90 minutes and take enjoyment from a victory. It's what we all started supporting the club for right? The excitement, the thrill, the goals. We shouldn't forget that just because things are a bit difficult right now.

It could be worse, we could be Leeds fans.

Neo_Mufc

One point I think is highly important that it took us after being 2 nil down and 45mins of dire football to start taking risks to try and beat Newcastle (A team in poor form).

If we try to adopt that same approach against a Juve/Chelsea with our 2 CB hugging the touchline, we will get countered silly.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Trying to view the goals and the post-match interview in the OP, but all I can see is a spinning half-moon on top of a black background. It's quite hypnotic but not overly interesting.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
I don't understand the banner saying that Ed is a loser.

Don't say that the board haven't spent money. It's not like our board was pennypinching like Arsenal. I genuinely believe that with our squad, we are capable of comfortably finishing in the top 4. I stand by my previous comments, it's Mourinho's tactics that make us feel like nobody in the squad is good enough.

Whilst I agree that Ed should focus more on the commercial side of the club, I don't agree with sacking him. Without his business acumen, we won't be paying top dollar for players like Pogba and Martial and the like. People always tell him to stick to selling noodles and tractors and the like, well guess what mate? That's what enables us to pay a half-a million dollar weekly wages for players like Alexis( whether that's justified is another issue entirely). Without sponsorships, we won't be able to compete with the Abu Dhabis and the Qatars of the world.

Appoint a DOF, have a vision in place, take away the football responsibilities from Ed. Otherwise, we would still be in the same position, 2 years from now.
It's a throwback to when United had CEOs and chairmen like David Gill who did, to a certain extent, understand the specifics of running a football club. Woodward isn't a football man, he's a businessman - a damn good businessman, by most metrics, but not one who understands his core market instinctively.

On the other hand, you're right, he doesn't need to understand it so much as operate a business within it. His job is to run Manchester United the business and hire the best possible people to worry about the football side of it. Sacking him wouldn't solve anything, because the Glazers would (rightly or wrongly) install another businessman to run what they view as a business: the CEO of Shell doesn't need to know how to drill for oil; the CEO of Nintendo doesn't need to be able to speed-run Breath Of The Wild; and so on. What the board need to recognise, however, are Woodward's limitations and make appointments to cover these deficiencies, such as a Director of Football. A lot of what people say seems to suggest that Woodward should be qualified to act as a Director of Football before he should be appointed CEO of what is, in the owners' eyes, simply a multi-billion pound business.

TL: DR - agreed, sacking Woodward wouldn't be a positive step, but a stronger football representative is still needed on the board.

Pace Abuser

Ha ha ! Did you spend hours coming up with this to sound clever?
If you think that phrase makes someone "sound clever", then you'd have a panic attack if you picked up an average GCSE English book.

The result today exemplified why Jose should be sacked. He receives zero credit for being forced to abandon his own plan (if such a thing actually exists).

el3mel

How many times have I watched Martial goal now ? The link between him and Pogba is ridiculous. They need to always play together + Shaw on this left flank.

Darkhorsez

If you think that phrase makes someone "sound clever", then you'd have a panic attack if you picked up an average GCSE English book.

The result today exemplified why Jose should be sacked. He receives zero credit for being forced to abandon his own plan (if such a thing actually exists).
Actually son - I have a PhD! Who is talking about credits to José. Get a life!

Rajma

Won despite Jose, fair play to the players but that was all emotion and zero attacking plan same as last year against city. Manager embarrassed himself with that team selection again, point proving cnut.

Hopefully board doesn’t differ and get him out asap, this team has enormous potential that can be unlocked by the manager that knows what he’s doing.

OldSchoolManc

Did this game prove the point that a big part of our problem, is the fact that we don’t have defenders who can play it out from the back?
We only turned it round once we had a back 3 of Matic, Pogba and Smalling.
Yet Woodward was right to veto a new defender or two?!

crossy1686

career ending
How many times have I watched Martial goal now ? The link between him and Pogba is ridiculous. They need to always play together + Shaw on this left flank.
I think there is definitely a connection there but Martial did not do any tracking back when we needed him to. There was a point where Jose was on his knees on the touchline because their full back had broke down the wing again and Shaw was under all kinds of pressure. Think they got a cross in before Martial realised he should be back there doing something about it.

crossy1686

career ending
Did this game prove the point that a big part of our problem, is the fact that we don’t have defenders who can play it out from the back?
We only turned it round once we had a back 3 of Matic, Pogba and Smalling.
Yet Woodward was right to veto a new defender or two?!
Some would say that Jose identified this during the summer but a certain someone didn't believe it was necessary to reinforce the defence.

el3mel

I think there is definitely a connection there but Martial did not do any tracking back when we needed him to. There was a point where Jose was on his knees on the touchline because their full back had broke down the wing again and Shaw was under all kinds of pressure. Think they got a cross in before Martial realised he should be back there doing something about it.
I think we're at a point that we simply need to accept we're shite at defense and will leak goals anyway, so make the aim to score more than the opponent. If they score 2, we score 3. We're useless at defending 1-0 stuff.

crossy1686

career ending
I think we're at a point that we simply need to accept we're shite at defense and will leak goals anyway, so make the aim to score more than the opponent. If they score 2, we score 3. We're useless at defending 1-0 stuff.
Agreed, I think what was probably said at half time was words to the effect of "do whatever you want next half, just save the game". If we do go in that direction we won't win much unfortunately, most great teams don't concede and how good a team is, is reflected in their goal difference.

OldSchoolManc

Some would say that Jose identified this during the summer but a certain someone didn't believe it was necessary to reinforce the defence.
Yes, because apparently, we had already spent 60 million on defence, whereas our main rivals had spent hundreds of millions to get it right.

Woodward should stick to noodles.

el3mel

Agreed, I think what was probably said at half time was words to the effect of "do whatever you want next half, just save the game". If we do go in that direction we won't win much unfortunately, most great teams don't concede and how good a team is, is reflected in their goal difference.
Agree, we'll basically be taking the Arsenal route with our current defense and attack but that will be till we decide to improve the defense in market.

crossy1686

career ending
Yes, because apparently, we had already spent 60 million on defence, whereas our main rivals had spent hundreds of millions to get it right.

Woodward should stick to noodles.
I'd also say it's clear that Jose has been told to improve the style of play and with the defenders he bought, they clearly suit a different system than the system he's now being told to transition to. Of course we need new defenders if we're to play out from the back, it's obvious.

Reiver

Wow. Just watched the game. I don't know how we can be so awful and then so good in the same 90 mins.
The problem is that it takes being 2-0 down to start playing. But what an end to the match and I'll enjoy the win.
The last couple have days have been mad.

Wal2Fra

Rashford missed 2 massive chances, Matic another and anything else seemed to easy for the keeper, then after 70 minutes BANG!

What a turn around, will help the confidence of the team heading to London but also help the crowd get behind the team at OT.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Build the team around Pogba. That's what I learned from the match today. Give him the libra(?) role.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The crazy thing is that those brief moments of inspiration we have after conceding goals are moments that people call ‘injecting pace into our play’. It’s really just the players showing courage by dropping into pockets of space and actually demanding the ball and subsequently actually dribbling with it or passing it very quickly for someone else that has dropped into a risky space. It is the one thing that Ferguson made sure every player displayed regardless of skill. He made sure no matter what kind of player you were you played with courage.

It’s very sad that we only display that courage once we are pinned down

kerryman

Let's not get too carried away....this isn't the same as the comeback against City last season.
This was at home against Newcastle, the joint worst team in the league so far, who only had 2 points leading into today's game!
We were 2-0 down against this rabble with 20 minutes to go and only just got a winner right on full time.
While it's nice to get a win it shows how far we've fallen when people are over the moon with this victory. We should be beating teams like Newcastle with ease.
Let's keep this in perspective please...for the majority of the game we were awful!

RedDevil@84

How could we have been so bad, and than be so good.

Mourinho deserves 0 credit for this. Martial and Pogba fecking carried us the last 20 minutes. Players fighting for their pride, not their manager.
What hypocrisy. When Pogba martial underperform it's coz Jose abused them trained them to suck, but when they play good, 0 credits.
You can't have it both ways.

Canagel

Absolutely. This is what we did in 2012/13. Goals conceded in almost all the games but we made sure to outscore the other teams. We should work more on attack and find a way to utilize the strengths of Martial, Sanchez and co. We clearly aren't a defensive team and can't defend with 10 men behind the ball.

RedDevil@84

Such a confusing game.

Obviously seeing some fight was good, but we’ve been rubbish all season and nearly lost points to Newcastle. We were clearly poorly organised yet again.
Well. It doesn't help if your defenders completely switch off and so early in the game.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just back home after game now, very strange day at OT. Pre match it was so quiet and all you could hear was the sound of Geordie away fans.

Stadium fans voiced huge support for Mourinho, even at 2-0 down, that cant be ignored either by the board or on here.

Football wise, there were some car crash performances out there and one or two inspirational ones. No point rehashing who had a mare, we all know who they were.

Pogba was immense all through, even in first half. He looked imperious pulling the strings from deep in the second half, United played a lot of really good stuff up through the middle of the pitch.

Mata’s performance was really special also. He changed the game when he came on, gave us much needed quality on the ball and what a goal.

Like Shaw and Fellaini also impressed me as did the always brilliant DDG.

WensleyMU

The crazy thing is that those brief moments of inspiration we have after conceding goals are moments that people call ‘injecting pace into our play’. It’s really just the players showing courage by dropping into pockets of space and actually demanding the ball and subsequently actually dribbling with it or passing it very quickly for someone else that has dropped into a risky space. It is the one thing that Ferguson made sure every player displayed regardless of skill. He made sure no matter what kind of player you were you played with courage.

It’s very sad that we only display that courage once we are pinned down
At the same time it also shows fight. Much as it did under Fergie. Our last title win felt like a throwback to the days we won titles precisely because we could go 1 or 2 down in a game and come back to win. We've actually shown that a lot over the past year. Against Chelsea, Palace, City and now Newcastle we've gone behind and fought back to win.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
If Pogba has movement in front of him, then he will find you with a pass. The way we set up at the moment, we are too static, which does not suit Pobas style of play. We need to attack, attack, attack, he is correct.

Pace Abuser

Actually son - I have a PhD! Who is talking about credits to José. Get a life!
For a man of your alleged repute, "get a life" in conjunction with the previously just as prosaic "har har you wanted to sound clever" is a complete clusterfeck of a bid to troll.
I suggest some fresh air to get the creativity (and maturity) firing.

Foxbatt

Lots of talking points. I hold up my hand and say that Jose is right. We need two CBS who can defend on their own. Yes he bought two of them but they have been found out
Matic needs to be replaced instantly too.
I wonder if Lindelof can play as a holding midfield player?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Strange game, the best players in this game actually have the worst relationship with Mourinho, and this game supposedly will decide the fate of Mourinho. But what a come back.

deafepl

Make sure we reach top 4 by the end of the December or behind 4-6 points off top 4 so we can get top defenders in the winter transfer window to save our season like Liverpool did when they get VDK

Charlie Foley

It's a throwback to when United had CEOs and chairmen like David Gill who did, to a certain extent, understand the specifics of running a football club. Woodward isn't a football man, he's a businessman - a damn good businessman, by most metrics, but not one who understands his core market instinctively.

On the other hand, you're right, he doesn't need to understand it so much as operate a business within it. His job is to run Manchester United the business and hire the best possible people to worry about the football side of it. Sacking him wouldn't solve anything, because the Glazers would (rightly or wrongly) install another businessman to run what they view as a business: the CEO of Shell doesn't need to know how to drill for oil; the CEO of Nintendo doesn't need to be able to speed-run Breath Of The Wild; and so on. What the board need to recognise, however, are Woodward's limitations and make appointments to cover these deficiencies, such as a Director of Football. A lot of what people say seems to suggest that Woodward should be qualified to act as a Director of Football before he should be appointed CEO of what is, in the owners' eyes, simply a multi-billion pound business.

TL: DR - agreed, sacking Woodward wouldn't be a positive step, but a stronger football representative is still needed on the board.
Good post

Darkhorsez

For a man of your alleged repute, "get a life" in conjunction with the previously just as prosaic "har har you wanted to sound clever" is a complete clusterfeck of a bid to troll.
I suggest some fresh air to get the creativity (and maturity) firing.
:lol::lol::lol:

Web of Bissaka

First half commentary is annoying.

-Young handball.
Commentator: "That should be a penalty! It hit his hand. If this is a different game, that would be a given. Clear penalty." *Continue rambling* ignoring the physics when someone leap sideways. Geez.

Minutes before,
-Inside Newcastle box. McT challenging the air ball, while a Newcastle tried to play one hand volleyball or slamdunk McT's head.
Commentator: "That's..." *Change topic* pretend that didn't happen.

Minutes after,
-Our corner kick. Newcastle handball inside box.
Commentator: "..I think he expects Perez to head the ball away. It was sudden and hit his hand." Wooooow.

Pure bias.

Half time, pundits were having a good chatty day of their life.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 63% of 731 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 481 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw