LC W League Cup Final

Manchester United 2:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 February 2023

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Does anyone have a clip of the Dan Burn interview where he slipped and said 'United' instead of 'Manchester United' - because everyone knows which United it means.

I have a light hearted discussion from time to time with a ground of Newcastle and West Ham fan friends about there being only one United, and I'd love to share it with them.

JustinC00

I'm loving absolute saltiness of people complaining about us celebrating winning the league cup. With us knocking Barca out of europe and people complaining about us celebrating a cup win, really starting to cement the fact that we are back.

Would actually fancy us to win the FA Cup and Europa if it wasn't for the fixture pile up that has happened because of the World Cup and then the Euro Qualifying break at the end of the March.

Redbandito

By far the best game Weghorst has had in a United jersey. I confess that prior to kickoff, I was frustrated to see his name in the starting 11, but he showed up against Newcastle. Much better in hold up play than he has been prior to this match. Still needs to significantly upgrade his play in the box as he has been far from clinical, but if he continues to play more similar to the way he did in this match, he will turn out to have been yet another key signing by Ten Hag.

What an amazing turnaround Ten Hag has brought to this Club. I always hoped we would crown him the man in charge, and I was worried when people were tossing around Poch’s name as the front runner for the position. But I never dreamed that Ten Hag would have this immediate of an impact. He is better than I hoped for.

Zed 101

Terrible match in terms of entertainment
Great match in terms of result
DeGea had another stormer, cannot believe he has not made the MOTM list
Best moment Avram Grant getting a resounding boo during the trophy presentation

HaliRed

It reminded me a lot of the Europa League final against Ajax. They had the majority of possession but could never really get into dangerous areas.
Exactly. We were like the savvy boxer looking to conserve strength until needed...But it was never needed as our opponent did not land any blows.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it immensely when we dominate and blow teams away (second half vs Barca), but I love the fact that this team is smart/resourceful enough to get these types of comfortable wins in high pressure situations such as a Wembley Final when not playing at their top level.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Does anyone have a clip of the Dan Burn interview where he slipped and said 'United' instead of 'Manchester United' - because everyone knows which United it means.

I have a light hearted discussion from time to time with a ground of Newcastle and West Ham fan friends about there being only one United, and I'd love to share it with them.

Jacko21

Thought this was great yesterday. Don't normally hear United Road sang with this gusto. The verses have always been a bit laboured which is a shame because the chorus really carries around the stadium.

Hopefully a rendition likes this catches on a bit more.

DevilRed

Nobody talking about AWB's performance yesterday?

Someone needs to check his pockets to see if Saint maximin is still there.

Woodzy

Just saw that we didn’t concede a single goal throughout the entire competition.

NICanRed

I find that ASM always looks a bit scary but in reality I'm not sure whether he really achieves as much as he should.That said - AWB is certainly the man to shut him down as he did yesterday - a masterclass! ASM is not likely to be starting the next time we play them!

Strootman's Finger

Not to take away from AWB, because I think his performance was top notch, but ASM is perhaps the most overrated player in the league. What does this guy do exactly? Not much when you look at his actually end product. He plays like a youth player breaking into the team, visually exciting, runs at defenders, tries little tricks, but loses possession and never amounts to any end product. And he's been in Newcastle almost 4 years now, he should be producing at this point.

krazyrobus

"Glass of wine, some good food, some sleep, then we prepare for West Ham tommorow." Badass!

kaku06

The state of that Liverpool fan. I hate that cnut in equal measure to that McKenna posh cnut.

peridigm

He was immense in the 2nd half. Case MOTM for sure but AWB gets it for the 2nd half for me.

Danillaco

He was a beast yesterday. Maximin was skinning Dalot, but as soon SpiderWan came on, Newcastle's left wing was closed for business. What a great performance.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Not to take away from AWB, because I think his performance was top notch, but ASM is perhaps the most overrated player in the league. What does this guy do exactly? Not much when you look at his actually end product. He plays like a youth player breaking into the team, visually exciting, runs at defenders, tries little tricks, but loses possession and never amounts to any end product. And he's been in Newcastle almost 4 years now, he should be producing at this point.
I am simultaneously impressed and a bit confused by him alright.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Well, not enough for an og
If a shot is not on target, it is an og. That is the rule. Seems very odd to give him the goal. I am sure it wouldn't happen in the PL.

In any case, it was quite a major deflection, look at the link above.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Are you kidding? You can't watch that and claim it is going in.
I’m finding it hard to understand too. Although the only thing which could justify it was if it one of those slow rollers to the far post, which curl in. He was a good bit to the left of the near post when he hit it, so it might have curled a fair bit.

Weird though. Not usually the sort of thing they’d take into account.

Eplel

Yeah. Really odd tbh. Clear own goal.

https://pic.twitter.com/y4hkLwyZ6N
The funny thing is this dude here pretends he's passionate about the own goal rule, while it's obvious he's a Rashford hater.

Maybe he's a liverpool fan or an overzealous tory supporter that won't tolerate anyone making his favourite party look like amateurs, but either way the tears are delicious.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The funny thing is this dude here pretends he's passionate about the own goal rule, while it's obvious he's a Rashford hater.

Maybe he's a liverpool fan or an overzealous tory supporter that won't tolerate anyone making his favourite party look like amateurs, but either way the tears are delicious.
I thought you meant me for a minute!

Suedesi

Newcastle were piss poor, thought they were going to be a tougher nut to crack. I was under the impression that Eddie Howe was building a juggernaut but they were pretty lightweight.

Apart from Saint Maximin, they were so bland in attack. Almiron is completely one-footed and predictable, Wilson is such a Bournemouth standard player and for all the bluster - Trippier's crosses didn't amount to much and some of the set pieces were dreadful.

On the other box, Burn was so uncomfortable as a LB, thought Antony had him on toast. Botman couldn't deal with our press and Scharr was all bark no bite.

Their midfield (Guimares, Longstaff, Joelinton) was poor.

Felt Isak and ASM were the only threats, and ETH shut him down in the second half by putting Bissaka on.

Quite frankly I think Newcastle will struggle to get top 4 in the league.

mshnsh

There is only one Manchester too and it is United.

SAF is the GOAT

Brian actually thought they played better than us
Karius saved their asses because they should have been lose 4-0.
official stats from the Game : Newcastle : 15 goal attempts - 2 on target Man United : 14 goal attempts - 10(!!!!!) on target

Waynne

He was a beast yesterday. Maximin was skinning Dalot, but as soon SpiderWan came on, Newcastle's left wing was closed for business. What a great performance.
Yep. I said this a while ago. When Wan Bissaka is playing I feel comfortable knowing our right flank is locked down defensively.
Dalot is useful if the opposition threat is not on his wing which allows his attacking game to get going.
That said Wan Bissaka has proved to be decent going forward as of late. I do like this competition though. It can only be a good thing for both players.

Player Ratings

7.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle