LC L League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 0:3 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 November 2023

Gaidal

The only player that should still be here after the january window is Höjlund. The rest needs to be forced out or just plain bought out, we wont get anywhere with this rot inside the club.

ETH is not the right guy, but there is no one else to hire

always_hoping

Not one that thinks a manager change and all will be fine again however tonight and at the weekend was shades of end of Ole's and Jose time when a Man United side are not hard to score against and losing to sides that don't have to play that well to win comfortably. 7 changes tonight and no different, just the same lack of response from that group of players in front of 70k+ home crowd.

redom

The downward spiral continues, he may as well try something radical at this point because just doing the same shit game in and game out isn't working. This team needs a shock to the system and that'll either come from a new manager or ETH can at least try and do it himself, though it's looking all a bit inevitable right now.

Flying_Heckfish

Absolutely fecking pathetic, to a man.

But it's the managers job to motivate the team, to coach them. And he's been given £400m to hand-pick his players, too.

Time's up

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We should get relegated to end this suffering

Von Mistelroum

Didn't even bother watching because I knew it would be a waste of time. I'm genuinely falling out of love with football at this stage because you at least need to have hope when things are bad.

I don't think there is any hope though. No manager, no players can fix this mess, and it'll be like this in this cancerous club until change happens at the top, which will likely be after I'm long gone.

Very sad to see us back in this situation after such a good first season for ETH. It looks like the end is nigh for him right now. The players have given up.

TrueRed79

Those players are a shower of mercenaries. Disgusting shower of cnuts.

miked99

Christ, I'm sick of these players. If we didn't even have a manager in situ, you'd expect them to be able to perform basic footballing tasks

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Days like today I wonder why I continue to support the team.

Enough misery in life without tuning in to that shite every week.

I'll follow the club for life but cutting out 3 hours of my time each week to watch that dross isnt worth it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This was the EFL cup mate
I don't think our form is going to suddenly improve in the league. Fully expecting to be torn a new one by Fulham at the weekend.

Just don't see where the uptick in performances is coming from. We've lost more times than we've won in all competitions. Even when we've won we've looked terrible.

I wouldn't back us to get a result against Championship opposition at the moment.

Artorias

Sad, but ETH has to go. His signings and choices are awful.
Finally Sancho will outlive Erik.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nope, but they are far from the problem.
They're not far from the problem. They're the most senior players in the squad and they're sulking constantly and playing like shit themselves.

NZT-One

Gutted. I thought, we had some spells where it looked promising, early 1st half, early 2nd half when Amrabat and AWB joined the team. I actually thought, we looked a little bit "better"... Better in a way of looks like they are trying to play football and try to show some urgency. Overall, I think Newcastles goals were individual moments, don't want to take anything away from them, they well played well enough but we looked so helpless overall. It is such a shame because I thought, our setup for the game looked decent.

RuudTom83

That feeling when you realise McTom is actually equal to anyone in the United midfield...get Scotty back for Fulham :/

redzombie

didnt watch the match, knew we'd get pumped. at some point things become inevitable with this club, but im sure the players will become world beaters once we get that new interim manager in, again.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Better just to take off, and the nuke the club from orbit. Its the only way to be sure of a proper clean slate. I have no idea what is going on, because its just just the manager over and over and over again. And it cant just be the players either, most of the them have been swapped out. We look at Newcastle, bottom of the fecking league and looking like they were going down. Eddie pulled it off, and then not only that got them playing well. And all without spending like a new money club usually does.

Something is rotten all the way through. Yes, the Glazers blah blah blah. But that doesnt stop players playing well for them selves, never mind the manger or the fans. I cant see any other way to fix this club, than to first flush it down the toilet. Because so far, whatever is causing the rot is hanging in there time after time after time.

Ollie Derbyshire

Just asked the wife why its all going wrong, simple answer, ‘They are shit”.

Sums it all up nicely.

tomaldinho1

I don't think our form is going to suddenly improve in the league. Fully expecting to be torn a new one by Fulham at the weekend.

Just don't see where the uptick in performances is coming from. We've lost more times than we've won in all competitions. Even when we've won we've looked terrible.

I wouldn't back us to get a result against Championship opposition at the moment.
Depends how stubborn ETH is. I fully expect us to go Case/Amrabat as a pair now, AWB RB and just become solid and hope to nick goals. That said, i expected that a while back and he's pushing ahead with Mount as an 8 so you never know.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The positive thing is, it'll be a miracle to make the CL spots. And I don't want us to make it to the CL. Maybe we'd finally be rid of the Glazers.

Relegation would be interesting. Imagine playing in the Championship. Something new for a change.

Jamie Shawcross

ETH said this week that he is "convinced" we will come good soon. He's not even sure himself. The bloke is the one in control and its like he's just waiting and hoping it will happen. He is clearly well beyond finished in this job at this point. We have seen nothing but evidence of his inability to rally the troops and turn things around this season so far. Yeah, changing the manager with these owners might on the face of it seem fruitless, but do we just carry on like this? Its suicide. Get someone in who at least makes us hard to beat. I'd honestly rather be pragmatic and boring but not get thumped like this every other week. We are an appalling football team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sack him. Bald frord.

Knew there was a reason Fiorentina loaned him out.

Addled

That was appalling. Mitten is obviously right in saying the players are not responding to the manager. Did I imagine that ten Hag shook hands with the Newcastle players but ignored his own players?
There should be hell to pay in the home dressing room tonight. They should all be in for double sessions for the next few days. Also, fine the lot of them for lack of effort. Hit them in their pockets and shake the lethargy from them. This is a massive wake up call and the players and management need to respond.
Completely sick of this crap every game. Time for things to change.

Rustyspider13

Nothing good in this team. The top management, the coaching staff and the players-all of it is shit. There is no desire to play good football, just to make money off of the past. I used to love watching our games, it didn't matter if we lost, we always tried. Nowadays we just roll over. Manchester United have been bled dry by some motherfeckers from America and no one did anything to stop it.

RedDevil@84

Newcastle celebrating like they just won a cup.

ETH should make the players stand out on the pitch and watch that. The shameless bunch of underperforming lazy gowls.
ETH balls have been cut off over the summer

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We are pitifully bad and I fear the end is nigh for EtH. I don’t know where we go next, there aren’t any crumbs of comfort and I don’t think I’ve felt this empty since 1974. Things are not good.

BestRed

0-3 at home to this lot, sad reflection off the direction the "team" has gone in since picking up this cup last season.

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 210 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 14% Man Utd 0:2 Newcastle