PL L FA Premier League

Nottingham Forest 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2023

United492

Where to start? I could go on and on about who was at fault for this or that, but, for all our failings last year (the drubbings), they felt (at least in hindsight) like anomalies. This season, we're so polarised from game to game it's actually getting easy to make money at the bookies.

I'm not saying Maguire is the answer, and I'm not sure who is, but a lot of this for me is down to the fact we need an actual real captain on the pitch. Someone that will grip the team, enforce the manager's instructions (whatever they may be), and hold players to account. We don't have that, we have Bruno, who is doing it his way, which is trying to play in every position at once.

I guess this is for another thread, but for me, there is no clear choice at the moment (amongst those currently playing), but when he's back, it's got to be Martinez. If that gets Bruno's back up, so be it, he can do one.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It sounds as if some of the players are not putting in a full shift, which is the bottom line for any footballer. This could be because they just can't be bothered, but against Villa some of these same players did put in a shift, eventually, but then tonight seemed to be back to normal, or is it that just don't see, get, or can put into action whatever the manager requires them to do?
I don't think Ten Hag will go before the end of the season, but unless performances improve drastically, then he may be gone in the summer, as I don't believe some players trust him, and I can't see any structure or plan of how United play football.
Ratcliffe won't be able to influence much this season, but I would imagine that performances like this will be noted, and plans formed for the summer, on the manager, coaching, buying and selling of players, let's hope he gets the people in place to begin a massive overhaul of the playing side.

patch1

We.should all know by now that the team and manager are not good enough.
We need to start from scratch.At the moment I did not know that playing at pedestrian rate was standard pace.

kerrygold

Supports
united
I really try not to pin it all on Ten Hag (and I’m not today) but…
  • Stop picking Antony
  • Stop taking Mainoo off unless injured
  • Stop playing McT for the couple of late goals a month or two ago
  • Sub players who don’t run
  • Stop playing Eriksen against fast teams OR for full 90 mins
  • Tell AWB if he jogs back once more, he’s dropped
  • Do some coaching about how to defend against xxxxxxx cutbacks
As well, most of the players are sh!te, just awful attitudes and we need to sell a load asap to cut the rot. Rashford, Antony, Martial, Sancho, McT have to be sold… buy two (fluid) replacements.

If Ten Hag persists with this stuff, he’ll get sacked and I’ll have zero sympathy. If he takes control and subs/drops players for arsing about, decide at end of the season.

Awful performance, players and manager.
Well said. And it needs to be done straight away. How he accepts players jogging around is beyond me. Oh, and add Bruno to that list.

Ady87

We just aren’t technically very good. We’re no good when pressed and even under mild pressure we misplace lots of balls. We don’t actually do anything very good.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There's no rhyme nor reason to anything we do anymore, and the results are seemingly being spewed out of a tombola machine at random, with the odd comeback win and unlikely draw garnished with utter dogshit defeats left and right. No point getting upset, until Jim's mob clears the decks this is what will happen most weeks.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We just aren’t technically very good. We’re no good when pressed and even under mild pressure we misplace lots of balls. We don’t actually do anything very good.
That is an understatement.

tjb

It sounds as if some of the players are not putting in a full shift, which is the bottom line for any footballer. This could be because they just can't be bothered, but against Villa some of these same players did put in a shift, eventually, but then tonight seemed to be back to normal, or is it that just don't see, get, or can put into action whatever the manager requires them to do?
I don't think Ten Hag will go before the end of the season, but unless performances improve drastically, then he may be gone in the summer, as I don't believe some players trust him, and I can't see any structure or plan of how United play football.
Ratcliffe won't be able to influence much this season, but I would imagine that performances like this will be noted, and plans formed for the summer, on the manager, coaching, buying and selling of players, let's hope he gets the people in place to begin a massive overhaul of the playing side.

But they put in a full shift on Tuesday??
Q
When are people going to be honest and admit that this is tactical. It so clearly is. We barely created today and haven't for most of the season. Defensively our structure is so clearly poor. We are also poor in set pieces and on transition. I don't think that's just due to chopping and changing individuals, it's quite obvious that the players this season haven't been set up to succeed. Fans can't expect players to have consistently high levels of energy each game, it's not sustainable. When we aren't playing at a high tempo, the tactical weaknesses get exposed. People look at those performances as proof that the systems can work, when in reality, the systems used by ETH aren't good enough, which is why it can't work at a lower tempo. Hence the level of midtable lack of consistency that we are producing. We had so many games in a season with Fergie where we had to slowly break teams down or had slightly less energy than in other games, but the system was good enough to ensure that we could play at 4th gear and still win easily. At United currently we have to be at first gear to get wins. That's impossible for players to sustain.

cyberman

Can we not stop counter attacks from the opposition box 18 months in? What in the utter feck

ClassAct147

Not even worth fielding a team anymore. Just send out the mascot. He would be more clued up.
ETH and this entire squad should be bloody ashamed of what they're doing to our club.
Pack your bags and piss the feck off!!

henrysquire

I believed EtH would turn on this sinking ship around but I've lost faith now.

We're not even mid tier. There's no playstyle to get behind. It's dreadful. I'll always support United but I'm too old to waste my time watching this group week in week out. I wouldn't care if we lost but performed with some sort of forward thinking strategy like Spurs.

Once in a while we serve up something exciting but follow it up with dross.

DevTheRed

We massively lack physical players, particularly in the middle of the park. A midfield two of Eriksen and Mainoo, whilst good under pressure and good technically, just screams weak and slow. We need more industrious players in our team, it’s something we are severely lacking.

Seems we are playing boys up against men sometimes the way we consistently lose 50/50 duals.

Wrecking ralf

Unless he was injured, that Mainoo sub was probably the worst idea I have ever seen. Especially when Eriksen was getting passed around all game. How he played almost 100 minutes baffles me btw. Could have easily brought Gore on to help in the midfield battle. Rashford needs selling, not even a goal that steals the glory from Garnachos hard work will do anything to make me want to keep him. Bruno isn’t the same player, loses the ball too much, goes down to easy and complains all game for the slightest thing. Dalot is just shite in general. ETH has less than 10 games to save himself, he needs to start picking a team that will try and work towards a win or he’s done for. He can’t keep picking these useless, zero effort, wannabe footballers and expect anything to change.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Our upcoming away league games:
  • Wolves live on TV
  • Villa live on TV
  • Luton live on TV
  • Man City live on TV
Prepare for more mockery and misery.
I know we hardly have money to sack Ten Hag and pay off whatever feck we would owe him but I have a feeling you will see him shipped off before June because while our squad is genuinely crap, he is the manager and the buck stops with him and too many of our losses (like today) are mostly on his horrible decisions.

Money or no money, new sheriffs in town cannot afford his embarassing performance while they are trying to demonstrate competence and June is too far away

MrBest

Man united is a shell of its former self. Didn't watch the game, was not surprised by the result, can imagine the football was dire. Saw Hag blamed injuries again, not sure what casemiro and Martinez would offer to his style of play which I have no idea what it is. Man united need a manager with vision, he just is so bland.

grahamo

So sick of the excuses. Forest players hunted down the ball like their lives depended on it. Totally deserved the win. United players stole their wages as usual.

RoyH1

I feel like I'm in a loop a la Groundhog Day. Despair followed by hope and then waking up to the same sheet over and over. I cannot take more of ETH's decision making

captaincantona

Amad was a breath of fresh air. Comfortable receiving the ball first time. Always made the right decisions. Skipped past players. Night and day having watched Antony for so long. More secure in possession than Garnacho also. I hope to see more of him in the coming weeks.

in saying that, it says a lot that our brightest spot was a youth player who has been out injured for months. What on earth is going on with these players? They look completely clueless - even as individuals never mind as a team.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Shite game.
The way Utd collapsed mentally and/or physically in the prior seasons in the last 2-3 months this season is gonna be brutal for you fans.

DavidDeSchmikes

The consistency in this team is absolutely abysmal, one week we look hungry and up for it and the next we look completely uninterested.

Moriarty

It's one step forward, two steps back with this lot. Turned over in the last few minutes at West Ham, same against Villa in the first half followed by a storming second half display, and now we lose to Forest. Who knows where we'll finish this season but Ratcliffe and his mates have got their work cut out for them.

doughole

One wonders why the team form moves so much between good and awful.

Bondi77

Forest easily the better side and still we struggle to string 4 or 5 passes together.
Seems like our strength is when the game opens up and we resort to hoof ball and get behind the opposition that we have our best chance of scoring.
Making Bruno Captain and starting Antony in games seem to be big blunders by Erik and while the first will not be corrected this season I really hope the second will be.

Loon

:lol:
If Blanc comes in, he’s handled a viper’s nest like Juventus and that is encouraging because this place needs a flamethrower taken to it.

There needs to be more than the obvious casualties.

Partridge

Can we sell Anthony to one of the Saudi teams? Bonus is he would look quite good in one of the bottom teams. "Look guys, I've got my spinny ball thing, and also, I can run, then cutback".

Josep Dowling

Amad was a breath of fresh air. Comfortable receiving the ball first time. Always made the right decisions. Skipped past players. Night and day having watched Antony for so long. More secure in possession than Garnacho also. I hope to see more of him in the coming weeks.

in saying that, it says a lot that our brightest spot was a youth player who has been out injured for months. What on earth is going on with these players? They look completely clueless - even as individuals never mind as a team.
Comments like this do make me laugh. Was he really that good? He made a couple of runs and had one shot on goal but it barely tested the goalkeeper. There is argument to say he caused the counter attack which led to Forest’s second goal, though I think Bruno tried to dummy the ball in the box rather than Amad making a poor pass.

I thought Amad looked okay, certainly better than Antony but he hardly put in anything above a 6/10 performance.

kaku06

Vulgarian
The future is Garnacho Hojlund Amad Mainoo. Sell the duds and sack the cnut.

justsomebloke

Comments like this do make me laugh. Was he really that good? He made a couple of runs and had one shot on goal but it barely tested the goalkeeper. There is argument to say he caused the counter attack which led to Forest’s second goal, though I think Bruno tried to dummy the ball in the box rather than Amad making a poor pass.

I thought Amad looked okay, certainly better than Antony but he hardly put in anything above a 6/10 performance.
Promising, I'd say. No more, no less. Certainly a better performance than Antony, not just today but also compared to what he generally shows.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Nottingham Forest 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Nottingham Forest 0:2 Man Utd