FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Nottingham Forest 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 28 February 2024

troylocker

What a terrible watch.
Gave Casemiro the MOM simply for the bit of class right at the end which gave us the win, but Onana, Dalot and even Amrabat ( when he finally went into midfield) were in with a shout.
I know Rashford is out of sorts just now, but he has no idea of how to play the CF role. At one point I expected Shearer (commentating) to appear on the touchline bellowing at Rashford " for feck's shake Rashy get up front and lead the line." Really not sure where ETH goes now with Rashford, he has to try McT in the CF role, his finishing was off last night but he got into the right place a number of times.
Got to be a 5-3-1-1 formation on Sunday, maybe even 5-4-1 to try to avoid embarrassment and hope Stones goes back to his 'silly mistakes' period for a bit.
Amrabat looked like he played in slow motion though. The NFO players ran circles around him.

NLunited

Antony was better than Rashford, Garnacho and Amad combined. He had good passing, dribbling, a couple good shots and defended really well.

NLunited

Who knew that having an actual 3 man midfield in the second half with amrabat, cas and mctominay that we would actually show some control for once, wish we would do it more often
Amrabat played fullback no? It is part of Ten Hag‘s system.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
given the severe injury situation this game was a 50/50 for me and its a big result because of that. Forest had a few snatchy type chances but Onana seems to be growing into the role now and did well. It should have been a bit more comfortable with the clear chances but i will take this. Amrabat was very tidy in the 2nd half and i gave him my MOTM just ahead of Onana.

Bertie Wooster

What a terrible watch.
Gave Casemiro the MOM simply for the bit of class right at the end which gave us the win, but Onana, Dalot and even Amrabat ( when he finally went into midfield) were in with a shout.
I know Rashford is out of sorts just now, but he has no idea of how to play the CF role. At one point I expected Shearer (commentating) to appear on the touchline bellowing at Rashford " for feck's shake Rashy get up front and lead the line." Really not sure where ETH goes now with Rashford, he has to try McT in the CF role, his finishing was off last night but he got into the right place a number of times.
Got to be a 5-3-1-1 formation on Sunday, maybe even 5-4-1 to try to avoid embarrassment and hope Stones goes back to his 'silly mistakes' period for a bit.
True. Though the trouble with that is that it's a completely different role playing back to goal as the #9, and having to be involved in hold up / link up play, etc, and being the one specifically marked as the #9. That might well lead to McTominay not being as good at ghosting into positions and finding space as he is when playing the role he currently is, facing goal.

It's a special trait for #9's to have the ability to work that space for themselves in the box when being the main one closely marked, it's easier for a 'spare player' role like McTominay to ghost in there.

It's probably worth a go without Hojlund, as it at least gets Rashford back to the left and Garnacho the right. Though, as regards McTominay, it's a gamble as it may well reduce rather than enhance his threat and ability to ghost into areas unmarked. But worth a go, probably. Though I wouldn't do it against City away, when we'll hardly have the ball and could do with pace up front on the counter attacks.

Last edited:

Orange Tree

The two Casemiro's reds from last season are a farce. Been proven time and time again, that other players get away with the same shit.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It wasn’t a good performance though
That was what I was saying. Sorry I didn’t articulate it very well. I meant that getting a decent performance is nigh on impossible under ETH.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
This is becoming the most boring team to watch since SAF left. There was just nothing exciting about the lineup. If Mainoo or Amad had started, then there would have been something to get my attention. We all know Rashford would do little as striker, Antony would have some good touches but not create a goal (almost did with shot), Bruno would roll around and lose the ball, and Dalot would make some good moves down the right. The only real hope for something special was Garnacho and he is hit or miss most matches. He was a miss yesterday.

I'll keep watching, but man it is hard to be excited about this team.

Bertie Wooster

This is becoming the most boring team to watch since SAF left. There was just nothing exciting about the lineup. If Mainoo or Amad had started, then there would have been something to get my attention. We all know Rashford would do little as striker, Antony would have some good touches but not create a goal (almost did with shot), Bruno would roll around and lose the ball, and Dalot would make some good moves down the right. The only real hope for something special was Garnacho and he is hit or miss most matches. He was a miss yesterday.

With all the injuries and a patched up squad, then, yeah, it's a struggle. And unfortunately that's been much of the season.

But when pretty much everyone is fit and we can start with something along the lines of:

Onana - Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw - Casemiro, Mainoo - Garnacho, Fernandes, Rashford - Hojlund.

Then it doesn't feel anywhere close to being as boring or uninspiring as some of the post-Fergie era to me. Especially when you add in the off field hopes which the INEOS changes bring.

It's just been a terrible season for injuries and has led to us almost never having anything close to our strongest team. When we did for a brief while, we put together an unbeaten run and the goals started coming. That's no coincidence.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We went to a team that had already beaten us this season with most of our back 4 injured alongside our centre forward and managed to win.

Bring on the scousers

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
With all the injuries and a patched up squad, then, yeah, it's a struggle. And unfortunately that's been much of the season.

But when pretty much everyone is fit and we can start with something along the lines of:

Onana - Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw - Casemiro, Mainoo - Garnacho, Fernandes, Rashford - Hojlund.

Then it doesn't feel anywhere close to being as boring or uninspiring as some of the post-Fergie era to me. Especially when you add in the off field hopes which the INEOS changes bring.

It's just been a terrible season for injuries and has led to us almost never having anything close to our strongest team. When we did for a brief while, we put together an unbeaten run and the goals started coming. That's no coincidence.
Yep, and we've also had loads of exciting games regardless.

Villa 3-2, Wolves 4-3, even the Luton game last week was pretty nuts. Weird thing to raise as a moan.

K Stand Knut

wrong

Maticmaker

Amrabat looked like he played in slow motion though. The NFO players ran circles around him.
Yes, agreed he's a 'make do and mend guy', but in the last thirty or so minutes he seem to come inside and was the only one taking the ball or attempting to play it forward by going straight down the middle. If Rashy had a half a clue as to how to play up front and had stayed there, we might have had some joy earlier.
For my money Amrabat's input was at least a change in the way we were going about things and in that last half an hour he was in with a shout for MOM.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Doesn't matter because we won but this absolutely is a penalty on Rashford and how the feck can VAR look at the Bruno throat hold and do nothing

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Villa 3-2, Wolves 4-3, even the Luton game last week was pretty nuts. Weird thing to raise as a moan.
That’s not always a good thing though. There exciting because we leave our selves exposed. We make games end to end when we need to be getting to a stage now where we dominate teams with the ball and score plenty of goals still.

Moriarty

Doesn't matter because we won but this absolutely is a penalty on Rashford and how the feck can VAR look at the Bruno throat hold and do nothing
Sandwich job on Rashford should have been a nailed-on penalty. I've given up expecting anything remotely consistent from VAR which exists to get the TV punters off their seats and onto social media.

RedRocket08

Sandwich job on Rashford should have been a nailed-on penalty. I've given up expecting anything remotely consistent from VAR which exists to get the TV punters off their seats and onto social media.
The reasoning given by Shearer in commentary for it not being a pen was that he basically had no space to run into (he was covered off by both defenders) despite the final shove. It's difficult to judge whether Rashford could've beaten the man closer to goal there, and to my eyes based on the replay as well, I didn't think Rashford could've come out on top there. Whether all that warrants not giving a pen for a rugby style hand-off in the box, I don't know - IMO if Maguire or Varane do that in the City game next week, I think it would be a sure pen to City :confused:

NLunited

By system, you mean injuries? He's essentially our 5th choice LB now
By system I mean inverted full backs. When he plays there, Amrabat comes into midfield a lot which is why some thought that was his position.

tomaldinho1

By system I mean inverted full backs. When he plays there, Amrabat comes into midfield a lot which is why some thought that was his position.
Ah ok, understood what you are saying, it was giving me the jitters with how free he was leaving the RW, think it was Origi, and then scampering back but it worked out in the end.

Cantonagotmehere

The non action by ref and VAR and the non-reaction by the media about the hand to the throat of Bruno is one of the most egregious ABU moments in recent memory for me. Unreal.

gerdm07

There is exciting close matches and there are exciting good football matches. Those were close matches and, yes, fairly exciting.

However, we rarely are treated to attractive football, exciting skills, slick passing or beautiful goals. That's the kind of excitement we are missing this season.

Are you excited for are great football to view on Sunday? I know I'll see nice football from the other side.

gerdm07

It's not attractive football. Mainoo, Garnacho and maybe Hojlund are capable of some very skillful football. Bruno and Rashford do something really nice on the pitch every 5 games. It's boring and unskilled football we get every week.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Absolutely stonewall in my opinion - madness that many think it's fine because Rashford should be stronger or something

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The reasoning given by Shearer in commentary for it not being a pen was that he basically had no space to run into (he was covered off by both defenders) despite the final shove. It's difficult to judge whether Rashford could've beaten the man closer to goal there, and to my eyes based on the replay as well, I didn't think Rashford could've come out on top there. Whether all that warrants not giving a pen for a rugby style hand-off in the box, I don't know - IMO if Maguire or Varane do that in the City game next week, I think it would be a sure pen to City :confused:
Still remember the ridiculous pen City got in the last match, a mere tickle compared to this!

And Shearer was having digs at us all night, not surprised he's still bitter

Moriarty

Replace Rashford with Shearer it's a penalty all day long space or no space. You sandwich a player in the box and it's a penalty.

RedRocket08

Replace Rashford with Shearer it's a penalty all day long space or no space. You sandwich a player in the box and it's a penalty.
Yeah I would've thought that would be a pen as well based on other decisions we've seen in the PL. This along with that Bruno choke-hold, is why I really dislike the refereeing at the moment - That was just one game, but we've seen so many games and not just United's where it's so inconsistent. A referee's decisions need to be predictable and based on precedence for the audience to actually trust them - I just don't see that happening at the moment, maybe it will if the PGMOL itself is strictly regulated, but for moment it's just a boys' club filled with back scratchers.

Moriarty

Yeah I would've thought that would be a pen as well based on other decisions we've seen in the PL. This along with that Bruno choke-hold, is why I really dislike the refereeing at the moment - That was just one game, but we've seen so many games and not just United's where it's so inconsistent. A referee's decisions need to be predictable and based on precedence for the audience to actually trust them - I just don't see that happening at the moment, maybe it will if the PGMOL itself is strictly regulated, but for moment it's just a boys' club filled with back scratchers.
Yep. All of these great schemes that are supposedly designed to ensure consistency in refereeing decisions end up making the whole thing worse. There's a place for goal line technology for sure but there's 4 refs at any given game, which is ample in my opinion. There have always been decisions that were wrongly called but, by and large, referees got it right. I'll say it again. VAR adds nothing to the game, and does not enhance the match for the fans in the stadium. It's strictly for the TV audience and that's where the money is.

RedRocket08

Yep. All of these great schemes that are supposedly designed to ensure consistency in refereeing decisions end up making the whole thing worse. There's a place for goal line technology for sure but there's 4 refs at any given game, which is ample in my opinion. There have always been decisions that were wrongly called but, by and large, referees got it right. I'll say it again. VAR adds nothing to the game, and does not enhance the match for the fans in the stadium. It's strictly for the TV audience and that's where the money is.
Yeah 4 refs is more than enough, VAR though I feel doesn't add anything in it's current iteration - But I think one thing VAR can/should give us is more transparency. I'd like for the decisions to be consistent, so that we can safely predict what the outcome is going to be. Part of that could be to live play the referee conversations on TV at least so we know what these refs are thinking. Either that or do away with it entirely.

lex talionis

Injuries should be no excuse but they really are. We all know the squad should be more deep than it is but it is what is. We ground out the win which no one can argue that we didn't deserve.

But if the complaint is that it wasn't vintage United, complaint well taken.

Gator Nate

Injuries should be no excuse but they really are. We all know the squad should be more deep than it is but it is what is. We ground out the win which no one can argue that we didn't deserve.

But if the complaint is that it wasn't vintage United, complaint well taken.
A complaint that it wasn't vintage United would have to ignore the player availability. It's not a reasonable complaint at the moment.

K Stand Knut

I guess you are excited about the skillful football you'll see by this team on Sunday. Oh wait, that will be from the other side.
correct on this occasion. Although not sure excited is the word that I would use.

however, if you think this is worse than Van Gaal, you obviously didn’t sit at the same end of the ground as I did in the 6 months where I didn’t see a single goal scored by us.

Each to their own though, I suppose.

gerdm07

correct on this occasion. Although not sure excited is the word that I would use.

however, if you think this is worse than Van Gaal, you obviously didn’t sit at the same end of the ground as I did in the 6 months where I didn’t see a single goal scored by us.

Each to their own though, I suppose.
I agree, we were very boring under Van Gaal. However, at least we had Di Maria, Rooney, Carrick and the exiting youngsters in Rashford and Martial. With those, we could expect someone to do something special and get our heart rate up and jump out of our chair. The starting lineup on Wednesday had no one really capable of anything exciting. This is the sad state of MU now.

K Stand Knut

I agree, we were very boring under Van Gaal. However, at least we had Di Maria, Rooney, Carrick and the exiting youngsters in Rashford and Martial. With those, we could expect someone to do something special and get our heart rate up and jump out of our chair. The starting lineup on Wednesday had no one really capable of anything exciting. This is the sad state of MU now.
So, we had the players and were still bored to death. That’s a great point you make.

Bring back LVG!

K Stand Knut

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Reading comprehension problems?
No. I fully comprehended what you said. You thought because we had exciting players on the pitch, the team and football was more exciting.

It wasn’t. Nothing I have ever seen as a United fan, especially as a match-going fan, has ever, and i doubt will ever be as boring as Van Gaal’s era. It was horrendously and painfully slow and boring.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Nottingham Forest 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Nottingham Forest 2:1 Man Utd