EL W Europa League Group E

Real Sociedad 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 November 2022

the_cliff

Positive result.

Sociedad are not a bad team, people are really underestimating them in here. Got the win and pushed for the second, had them wasting time the whole second half and falling over at every opportunity in their own stadium. Our Defence looks good, despite Varane being out and we basically had a second string attack on.

I think it's obvious that we need additions in attack, if we can get one or two in in Jan we'll be a serious threat to anyone. A CF should be priority. Ronaldo is not it.

Martinez is our best CB since Vida/Rio. What a player. Garnacho looks good.

Not too bothered about Europa, wouldn't mind playing the second string in the round of 32 no matter the opposition, finishing top 4 and winning a domestic cup should be priority.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We didn't get top because of a shocker of a referee decision in the first game against Sociedad. Unlucky but we move on.

I'll be honest, if top four is looking very secure next year I won't be overly concerned about Europa. I'm pretty bored of the competition now. A lot of boring games and substandard referees.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Knew we’d win by 1 goal. That BS penalty cost us at OT. Ridiculous decision.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Not an amazing display, never felt that second was coming. Sociedad a decent team, very well organised and we just lacked a bit of inspiration. 5 wins and a dodgy penalty, not much to complain about in that campaign. We'll see who we get and take it from there.

Abraxas

I thought we were very lacklustre in attack today. Not many ideas out there and overall it was a 50/50 game despite the fact that mentally we probably had the initiative as Sociedad were happy to lose 1-0 as their celebrations showed. So it's slightly disappointing we didn't hit another gear after taking the lead.

However it's still a win so the good feeling rolls on.

Lost bear

Knew we’d win by 1 goal. That BS penalty cost us at OT. Ridiculous decision.
It was a totally ridiculous decision. Awful.

I’m not too disappointed at the result personally, it’s still early days and our expectations should be tempered by the fact. We need a goal scorer. Eriksen looked knackered tonight, which affected our creativity, and we had some potential match winners missing. Patience required.

VivaRonaldo85

Decent result tonight. They’re not a bad side currently 5th in La Liga.

Didn’t do a great deal wrong in this group bar for me the very poor last minute win (only) 1-0 against that Cypriot shower of you know what.

We need some forward players back fit and firing asap as we look ridiculously lightweight up front both on paper and on the pitch. What on earth has happened to Martial AGAIN?!

BorisManUtd

Didn't watch the game but glad we won even though it did not change anything group position wise. That penalty decision from Old Trafford game cost us as well as poor goal difference against Omonia and Sheriff.

Hopefully players will be able to recover well until Sunday.

The Purley King

Tactical changes cost us the midfield battle tonight.
Didn’t deserve to score a goal in the 2nd half did we even have a shot on target?
R/S were shithouses yes but what does anyone expect?
Not good enough tonight end of story.
Ronaldo hamstrings us every time he plays. Slow and weak .Cannot wait for him to jog on somewhere else.
Garnacho good in the first half but we mysteriously stopped giving him the ball after half time. Shaw played very well overall but noticeable in the second half the middle of midfield was completely missing.
Not too upset overall but we should be doing much better in that sort of game.

Okey

Lots of negative reactions surprisingly. We just won in Spain (we hardly ever do). Kept up a run of unbeaten game and clean sheets. It's clear we need a striker but can't get one before January (one can hope). Surely there's not a lot to complain about at the moment?

Edwards6

Lots of negative reactions surprisingly. We just won in Spain (we hardly ever do). Kept up a run of unbeaten game and clean sheets. It's clear we need a striker but can't get one before January (one can hope). Surely there's not a lot to complain about at the moment?
Definitely a few overreactions on here having a go at Ten Hag, looking at the lack of attacking options on the bench there's not much more he could've done, gambled with the formation change 2nd half and it didn't pay off unfortunately

croadyman

Easy to blame that diabolical penalty,however brutal truth is we didn't score enough against Sheriff & Ommonia

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's a decent win in isolation and we continue to be hard to score against.

Ronaldo remains the biggest obstacle to the way ten Hag wants us ultimately to play. When Ronaldo plays there is basically no pressing in the final third and so we are not winning the ball high up the pitch to create attacking situations.

tomaldinho1

If we draw someone with pedigree like Juve I can just pretend we’re in the CL again

Crimson King

What are you on about? We qualified.

Look at the Red next to our name. Now look in the bottom right corner.

But we're not straight into the next round, are we? We have to play an extra round against a team dropping out of the UCL.

It's pretty clear that's what I was getting at if you read my whole post, instead of being a pedant and pulling me up on how I phrased that one section.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Obviously Shaktar would be the dream draw but would take Juventus given their current form. Definitely want to avoid Sporting and Barca.
I understand and appreciate the pragmatism, but another perspective is that - it's a game, we are allowed to be passionate and crazy.

BRING IT ON, BARCA! They are far from un-winnable. Maybe Ronaldo will finally remember a trick or two against them :)

MUFC OK

For anyone thinking we’re on some kind of resurgence, this is where we are. Still can’t beat sociedad (6th best team in la liga) by more than 1, even though we so desperately needed to. Let’s take 4th if we can and on to 23/24 :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Miles off it.

MattJ166

I wouldn't even say the penalty agaisnt Sociedad cost us, conceding two against fecking Omonia is what really did us in. Should never have happened

MUFC OK

Yeah, we aren’t anywhere near where some on here would like to think we are. Probably the 4th best team in England at a push, with no prospect of winning anything this season.

Not being able to beat sociedad by 2 when the assignment couldn’t be clearer is damning.

Frank Grimes

Yeah, we aren’t anywhere near where some on here would like to think we are. Probably the 4th best team in England at a push, with no prospect of winning anything this season.

Not being able to beat sociedad by 2 when the assignment couldn’t be clearer is damning.
We never went to Spain and won by 2, even under peak Ferguson winning in Spain was a rarity. Think we beat Deportivo there when Beckham got an amazing goal but wins there were always rare.

MUFC OK

We never went to Spain and won by 2, even under peak Ferguson winning in Spain was a rarity. Think we beat Deportivo there when Beckham got an amazing goal but wins there were always rare.
Different when we knew beforehand we needed to win by 2. Can’t remember that scenario before. Considering how early we scored the first and how little clear cut chances we subsequently created, it’s a very poor performance.

croadyman

I wouldn't even say the penalty agaisnt Sociedad cost us, conceding two against fecking Omonia is what really did us in. Should never have happened
Yeah not good enough in other four games,took us 93 minutes to score against Ommonia at Old Trafford which was shocking.

Frank Grimes

Different when we knew beforehand we needed to win by 2. Can’t remember that scenario before. Considering how early we scored the first and how little clear cut chances we subsequently created, it’s a very poor performance.
If you think we were favourites to go through tonight fair enough but it was always unlikely. We didn't play well but we never really do in Spain, they don't let you play and if you're passing is shite than you haven't a hope.
We've had a tough schedule and we're starting to look tired. I'd take 4 out of 6 in our next 2 league games if offered now. Ten Hag is doing the loaves and fishes with this squad, our forward options are pathetic.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Positive result.

Sociedad are not a bad team, people are really underestimating them in here. Got the win and pushed for the second, had them wasting time the whole second half and falling over at every opportunity in their own stadium. Our Defence looks good, despite Varane being out and we basically had a second string attack on.

I think it's obvious that we need additions in attack, if we can get one or two in in Jan we'll be a serious threat to anyone. A CF should be priority. Ronaldo is not it.

Not too bothered about Europa, wouldn't mind playing the second string in the round of 32 no matter the opposition, finishing top 4 and winning a domestic cup should be priority.
This.

MUFC OK

If you think we were favourites to go through tonight fair enough but it was always unlikely. We didn't play well but we never really do in Spain, they don't let you play and if you're passing is shite than you haven't a hope.
We've had a tough schedule and we're starting to look tired. I'd take 4 out of 6 in our next 2 league games if offered now. Ten Hag is doing the loaves and fishes with this squad, our forward options are pathetic.
Against a shocking villa and Fulham? Wow, we really are Everton of old if those are your standards. I’ll ad not that 4 points is likely but I’ll be far from happy with it personally.

Frank Grimes

Against a shocking villa and Fulham? Wow, we really are Everton of old if those are your standards. I’ll ad not that 4 points is likely but I’ll be far from happy with it personally.
2 away games, I'd take 4 from 6 anytime in 2 aways with our team. You seem to think we're shite yet should win every game. Now that is some dumb logic.

MUFC OK

2 away games, I'd take 4 from 6 anytime in 2 aways with our team. You seem to think we're shite yet should win every game. Now that is some dumb logic.
No, I have an idea of what we should be doing as a minimum and we currently are not doing that. Only want to see us so well but saying 4 pts from villa and Fulham is something you’d take is awful. If those are your standards then we are having a sensational season.

Frank Grimes

No, I have an idea of what we should be doing as a minimum and we currently are not doing that. Only want to see us so well but saying 4 pts from villa and Fulham is something you’d take is awful. If those are your standards then we are having a sensational season.
We're tired, that's clear. I'd rather 4 than than 3 or worse. 4 would be fine considering everything. Context is important.

MUFC OK

We're tired, that's clear. I'd rather 4 than than 3 or worse. 4 would be fine considering everything. Context is important.
We clearly are, I agree. Personally I’m probably not being patient enough with the process we are in because I believe we have a great manager and enough top players to be out performing where we are now. I still think anything other than 6 pts from those 2 games will be an underperformance.

Frank Grimes

We clearly are, I agree. Personally I’m probably not being patient enough with the process we are in because I believe we have a great manager and enough top players to be out performing where we are now. I still think anything other than 6 pts from those 2 games will be an underperformance.
We have got 23 from our last 30 points having played all the top 6. 27 from 36 , is excellent and not underperforming at all with our squad.

Tap

Positive result.

The league and Europa should be priorities no?
The EL is more glamorous than either domestic cup and the winner qualifies directly for the CL, unlike the fa or league cups.

always_hoping

Easy to blame that diabolical penalty,however brutal truth is we didn't score enough against Sheriff & Ommonia
United and Sociedad both scored 9 goals against Sheriff and Ommonia. It was conceding one more goal that proved the difference.

Goal difference wouldn't have come into it had the game against Sociedad in Old Trafford had finished 0-0 like it should have with clued in match officials.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 166 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Real Sociedad 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Real Sociedad 1:2 Man Utd