LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 1:1 Rochdale

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2019

John Blund

Look mate I think we need a major rebuild ie a 7 new players per summer for 2 seasons rebuild. However let's be honest we should dominate this crap. The results are nowhere acceptable and Ole is part of the problem

Ole had the opportunity to assess the squad and bring in true meritocracy. Instead he stuck to people like Carrick and went all guns blazing against players like Lukaku while concurrently giving Jones 5 year contracts. By doing so he proved to be no different to Moyes, Mourinho and LVG. He's putting his philosophy ahead to what is good for the club. With the only difference that the latter were real managers. He isn't and his tactics shows that
It's a cup game. It's the most Mickey Mouse cups of all the cups, and any result with us going through is good enough.
People really need to cut their ties to Lukaku. Lukaku said early this year that he wanted to go to Italy. Then he flirted a whole lot more with ANY team in Italy this summer. Then he fecken tweets results with the squad's pace.

As for transfers, Moyes didn't even look for young talent. We bought Fellaini after he'd been spending the entire window looking for the biggest stars he'd never got to look at while at Everton. 2nd window we bought Mata.
LVG did bring in a good mix of guys we all thought could be world-class players and young talent, perhaps more like Ole: Shaw, Depay, Martial, Di Maria, Falcao, Bastian Schweini, Schneiderlin, Romero, Rojo and so on.
Mourinho went all-in on "proven" players: Pogba, Lukaku (young, though), Sanchez, Matic (Thank you, Mourinho!), Zlatan. And then we had the Bailly, Lindelöf, Mkhitaryan.

Out of all Mourinho's transfers, he was only picking Lukaku every week in the end. Talk about having a bad track record of transfers in our club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a cup game. It's the most Mickey Mouse cups of all the cups, and any result with us going through is good enough.
People really need to cut their ties to Lukaku. Lukaku said early this year that he wanted to go to Italy. Then he flirted a whole lot more with ANY team in Italy this summer. Then he fecken tweets results with the squad's pace.

As for transfers, Moyes didn't even look for young talent. We bought Fellaini after he'd been spending the entire window looking for the biggest stars he'd never got to look at while at Everton. 2nd window we bought Mata.
LVG did bring in a good mix of guys we all thought could be world-class players and young talent, perhaps more like Ole: Shaw, Depay, Martial, Di Maria, Falcao, Bastian Schweini, Schneiderlin, Romero, Rojo and so on.
Mourinho went all-in on "proven" players: Pogba, Lukaku (young, though), Sanchez, Matic (Thank you, Mourinho!), Zlatan. And then we had the Bailly, Lindelöf, Mkhitaryan.

Out of all Mourinho's transfers, he was only picking Lukaku every week in the end. Talk about having a bad track record of transfers in our club.
Ole's team has been underperforming week in week out since the guy took the job on a permanent basis. Ole has never had a decent stretch at an EPL club as a permanent manager. Hence each game is important for him to do well. There's no room for him to get outwitted anymore, he needs to perform especially against the likes Astana and Rochdale.

Lukaku was made a persona non grata the moment Ole took over. Ole's love with 'Rashy' and the other players who 'truly understand Manchester United' was quite evident from day 1. Lukaku himself commented about being fed up being used as a scapegoat alongside Sanchez and Pogba. Which is fair enough considering that most of our players perform far worse then Lukaku and Pogba did. Some of those players were either made first teamers or even given a 5 year contract.

As said, Ole had the golden opportunity to bring in some meritocracy in this team. Instead we stuck to people just because they were either Ole's mates (ex Carrick) or because they happen to 'understand Manchester United'. There's no denying that he should have been backed better during the summer a trait that is common with most of our previous managers. Having said that he needs to shoulder part of the responsibility as well. Having said that, how can anyone expect meritocracy and the end of nepotism when he himself wouldn't have had a chance in hell in becoming Manchester United's manager if he wasn't a former player?

The only good news about Ole's dismissal is that hopefully it would put an end to the United way, British core and all romanticism surrounding with all that BS. Fingers crossed it would cost Woodward's career as CEO as well.

Devil may care

Look mate I think we need a major rebuild ie a 7 new players per summer for 2 seasons rebuild. However let's be honest we should dominate this crap. The results are nowhere acceptable and Ole is part of the problem

Ole had the opportunity to assess the squad and bring in true meritocracy. Instead he stuck to people like Carrick and went all guns blazing against players like Lukaku while concurrently giving Jones 5 year contracts. By doing so he proved to be no different to Moyes, Mourinho and LVG. He's putting his philosophy ahead to what is good for the club. With the only difference that the latter were real managers. He isn't and his tactics shows that
You want 14 new players brought in over 2 windows? There's zero chance of that happening, if we get 7 across those 2 summer windows I'd be surprised mate. I do think Ole's bottle has gone, even from the first 4 games to now things have went backwards, but I also think there is a lot more wrong at the club that is feeding into what we are seeing on the pitch, it's not a black and white situation.

The Jones deal was obviously already in the pipeline when Ole came in as caretaker, I mean he's not even been putting him in the PL matchday squads and is picking Axel over him for those games, and he shipped out Smalling as well, another one the Caf have wanted gone for ages. Did you want him to bring in different coaching staff? I don't agree that he's putting his philosophy ahead of the club, as I don't even know what his philosophy is, like I said the other day, if you'd woke up from a coma and watched any of our last 4 games you'd think Mourinho was still in charge.

If you told me that the plan was to sack Ole tomorrow and hire either ten Hag or Nagelsmann and give them a £100M in January and £300M next summer, I'd drop the axe on Ole myself without blinking, but this board wont do that, they have no vision, the fact they gave Ole the job after 15 games like excited schoolboys seeing their first set of tits tells you all you need to know, it's the fact I dread to think who we might appoint if we sack Ole that makes me hesitant to jump on that bandwagon right now.

devilish

You want 14 new players brought in over 2 windows? There's zero chance of that happening, if we get 7 across those 2 summer windows I'd be surprised mate. I do think Ole's bottle has gone, even from the first 4 games to now things have went backwards, but I also think there is a lot more wrong at the club that is feeding into what we are seeing on the pitch, it's not a black and white situation.

The Jones deal was obviously already in the pipeline when Ole came in as caretaker, I mean he's not even been putting him in the PL matchday squads and is picking Axel over him for those games, and he shipped out Smalling as well, another one the Caf have want gone for ages. Did you want him to bring in different coaching staff? I don't agree that he's putting his philosophy ahead of the club, as I don't even know what his philosophy is, like I said the other day, if you'd woke up from a coma and watched any of our last 4 games you'd think Mourinho was still in charge.

If you told me that the plan was to sack Ole tomorrow and hire either ten Hag or Nagelsmann and give them a £100M in January and £300M next summer, I'd drop the axe on Ole myself without blinking, but this board wont do that, they have no vision, the fact they gave Ole the job after 15 games like excited schoolboys seeing ther first set of tits tells you all you need to know, it's the fact I dread to think who we might appoint if we sack Ole that makes me hesitant to jump on that bandwagon right now.
Sir Alex did that between 1988 and 1989 at a time when squads used to be just 16 men strong. That's how you get rid of the poison that is infecting the club. Strangely enough none of the United's way zealots ever mentions it. Jones signed a new contract when Ole was just weeks before becoming a permanent manager. Don't tell me that he didn't had a say on that!

And Ole's philosophy is rather simple. British core BS, Pace, High tempo, hard work, fitness and putting as much sentimentalism into the club as possible from Carrick as no 2 right to Sir Alex Ball boy who was rotting at some third rated club before we dusted him up and gave him a job again. The guy managed at amateur level until he went to Cardiff were he proved to be out of depth. How the hell did he ended up managing Manchester United?

I share all your abuse about the board. Ole's appointment is yet another example of this crap.

USREDEVIL

I must be in the minority but i think Pereira is not bad. Not any worse than Herrera. He's fairly tenacious, seems to give a fucc, and has a decent shot sometimes. I think he's a good squad player. Rather have him than many others like Matic. I think he had an ok game against Roachdale.

Tuanzebe looked quite good but then again it wasn't top level opposition.

AlwaysRed66

We nearly went out to a pub side, seriously? Football probably isn't even their main income. It's either laugh or cry right now and I'm choosing to >:lol:. Their lesbian looking fullback who scored the equaliser was having a right laugh down our left side. What a JOKE!
Seemed to be in full control of his girlie looking opponent, who has been hyped up as some sort of future superstar.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I must be in the minority but i think Pereira is not bad. Not any worse than Herrera. He's fairly tenacious, seems to give a fucc, and has a decent shot sometimes. I think he's a good squad player. QUOTE]

He is a decent player, and yeah I'd agree, in this team squad player is about right. But in no way is the lad a proper Utd player. Its a kinda hard come down when you consider the likes of Fletcher, Butt, O'Shea ect are how people view a Utd squad player...even then, they are the minimum quality.

Kinda brought it all home to me when I was watching the West Ham game and the stream froze. It was a corner for Utd and the picture was of the players in the box ready to attack the corner, and it was like Lindehof, Young, Rashford, and a couple of other of the "senior" players! I though wtf has happened to the club!

Devil may care

Sir Alex did that between 1988 and 1989 at a time when squads used to be just 16 men strong. That's how you get rid of the poison that is infecting the club. Strangely enough none of the United's way zealots ever mentions it. Jones signed a new contract when Ole was just weeks before becoming a permanent manager. Don't tell me that he didn't had a say on that!

And Ole's philosophy is rather simple. British core BS, Pace, High tempo, hard work, fitness and putting as much sentimentalism into the club as possible from Carrick as no 2 right to Sir Alex Ball boy who was rotting at some third rated club before we dusted him up and gave him a job again. The guy managed at amateur level until he went to Cardiff were he proved to be out of depth. How the hell did he ended up managing Manchester United?

I share all your abuse about the board. Ole's appointment is yet another example of this crap.
I don't think Ole was involved in the Jones deal, I'm not sure how much say he has in general, I mean if he wanted Jones then why isn't he even putting him in the matchday squad? It's like when Rojo got a new contract when Mourinho was here, do you really think he wanted that? I recko0n this board just refuses to let junk go that they might be able to get a few quid for. As for what SAF did, I know but do you see the Glazers funding that kind of outlay for any manager? I don't.

Ok then, I get where you are coming from, I thought you were referring more to a style of play which I can't put my finger on as he's changed it over and over since he came in as caretaker, I do wonder what we are doing on the training pitch though when you look at other sides in the PL alone, and I don't mean the biggest ones, I look at Leicester and I know people will point out we beat them, but when I watch them play I see a side with a lot more identity and capability, with players who clearly know their roles, our players often look like strangers. As for the whole British core thing, that does feel like an attempt at a Fergie retread and I'm not a big fan of it.

The board are why I'm not bothered about the whole sacking the manager thing as if they do they'll just feck it up again with whoever they hire next, it's rinse and repeat until we get rid of the Glazers and Woodward.

Denis79

I think that the low expectations are down to Ole being in charge. Very few fans want to kick up a fuss, given that Ole is a nice guy, a club legend and the manager is usually the one who gets the criticism, when results are poor.

Whatever the case, it is very evident that we are struggling to score and keep clean sheets. For me, the worst part is the inability to score goals. The reason why Jose was axed was mainly down to playing style (parking the bus against lesser teams). Ole seems to have abandoned the style of play which he used in his first 3 months and has adopted Jose's tactics.

I am not sure if Ole is aware that if this continues he will be fired.
The way we played in pre-season has been scrapped completely. I don't know why but we have adopted a more cowardly approach to games. The pressing is controlled and with less players, we don't get many men in the box, or even in attacking positions when we do attack. It's not really strange why we don't score goals. I was hoping that the aquisition of new defenders would release more men to attack but it has gone the opposite way.

Denis79

I don't think Ole was involved in the Jones deal, I'm not sure how much say he has in general, I mean if he wanted Jones then why isn't he even putting him in the matchday squad? It's like when Rojo got a new contract when Mourinho was here, do you really think he wanted that? I recko0n this board just refuses to let junk go that they might be able to get a few quid for. As for what SAF did, I know but do you see the Glazers funding that kind of outlay for any manager? I don't.

Ok then, I get where you are coming from, I thought you were referring more to a style of play which I can't put my finger on as he's changed it over and over since he came in as caretaker, I do wonder what we are doing on the training pitch though when you look at other sides in the PL alone, and I don't mean the biggest ones, I look at Leicester and I know people will point out we beat them, but when I watch them play I see a side with a lot more identity and capability, with players who clearly know their roles, our players often look like strangers. As for the whole British core thing, that does feel like an attempt at a Fergie retread and I'm not a big fan of it.

The board are why I'm not bothered about the whole sacking the manager thing as if they do they'll just feck it up again with whoever they hire next, it's rinse and repeat until we get rid of the Glazers and Woodward.
This is what I believe as well. We have owners and a CEO who put profit first.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We need one left back
2 new midfielders
one right winger
one number 9
I agree. Ole has to pull his finger out if he wants to oversee the rebuild to the end. So far, the players he's bought has been good. Maybe get a new coach to coach the players because we don't look like we're well coached.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Ole got the transfer window surprisingly well. Few more of those and we will forget rochdale. Ole at the wheeeelll

P/s : im crying inside.

devilish

If a manager is being over ridden by the club on such key decisions then he knows exactly what he has to do ie resign. However I very much doubt that it happened

a- Mourinho isn't the kind of manager who would have accepted it. He would have been gone on the media and stated it quite plainly as he did when they didn't allowed him to buy a CB.
b- Ole was allowed to get rid of so many players. I doubt they would have forced Jones on him and if they did because they believed they could make money out of him I very much doubt they would have given Jones an outrageous 5 year contract. The best course of action at that point would have been a 3 year contract which would have given them time to sell him up while concurrently not tie him for the club forever just in case they can't find a seller.

I repeat I am not defending the board. His appointment was yet another mistake by that same board. I dare to say that United will never go back on top unless we seriously restructure the club on that level. However, Ole needs to carry a share of responsibility as well. His strategy is obsolete, his tactics non existent and he surrounded himself with either clueless people or dinosaurs.

Micky Targaryen

Poor Ole didn't have enough time and resources to clear the deadwood and get the players that he wants to beat fecking league one Rochdale. Therein lies the problem.

Devil may care

If a manager is being over ridden by the club on such key decisions then he knows exactly what he has to do ie resign. However I very much doubt that it happened

a- Mourinho isn't the kind of manager who would have accepted it. He would have been gone on the media and stated it quite plainly as he did when they didn't allowed him to buy a CB.
b- Ole was allowed to get rid of so many players. I doubt they would have forced Jones on him and if they did because they believed they could make money out of him I very much doubt they would have given Jones an outrageous 5 year contract. The best course of action at that point would have been a 3 year contract which would have given them time to sell him up while concurrently not tie him for the club forever just in case they can't find a seller.

I repeat I am not defending the board. His appointment was yet another mistake by that same board. I dare to say that United will never go back on top unless we seriously restructure the club on that level. However, Ole needs to carry a share of responsibility as well. His strategy is obsolete, his tactics non existent and he surrounded himself with either clueless people or dinosaurs.
The fact Ole is not selecting Jones for PL matchday squads tells me he had no say in the deal, and I think we both know Ole is not going to pipe up as he's in a job he never thought he'd ever get a sniff of, he'll keep his council no matter what happens IMO.

So would you just sack Ole now and hope the board are 5th time lucky?

devilish

The fact Ole is not selecting Jones for PL matchday squads tells me he had no say in the deal, and I think we both know Ole is not going to pipe up as he's in a job he never thought he'd ever get a sniff of, he'll keep his council no matter what happens IMO.

So would you just sack Ole now and hope the board are 5th time lucky?
So the board listened to him regarding Fellaini, Darmian, Sanchez and Lukaku but not on Jones? I very much doubt so. There seem to be this mantra surrounding British players who 'understand the club' which explains why Jones was kept. Things between the two might have degenerated later on or Jones was always meant to be kept as 4th choice CB but I can't see how he was given such a long contract behind the manager's back

Regarding ole things won't improve unless the club is restructured big time. I am hoping that ole's imminent sacking would cost Woodward's job as well. From an administrative point of view the best course of action at this point is to bring in a real manager as we are starving from a tactical POV. Id say Howe could do the trick. Alternatively we go for a transitional manager like Wenger.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
We nearly went out to a pub side, seriously? Football probably isn't even their main income. It's either laugh or cry right now and I'm choosing to >:lol:. Their lesbian looking fullback who scored the equaliser was having a right laugh down our left side. What a JOKE!
It is main income. Players from League One and League Two are paid excellently compared to your Average Joe most of the time.

Having said that, most of them do need a career after football, but not while they are still playing.

Maticmaker

I am hoping that ole's imminent sacking would cost Woodward's job as well.
I think Ole and Ed now 'sink or swim' together.

Under Ed's leadership the club have appointed four managers in the last six years, and Ed has sacked three of them, two of which (relatively speaking) were successful in winning some silverware. Ed's capabilities in bringing in sponsorship and making the club even more of a cash cow, are now being tempered by his failure up to now to 'get the right man' as manager/coach and to carry out transfer deals effectively e.g. he could have got Maguire for £75m on the first ask, but 'negotiated it' up to £80m.

Ole seems to have thrown his cap into the ring on 'internal development' and will now rely on a few stalwarts like Jones and Young and then bring forward the younger players he feels he can personally improve. I suspect even Rashford and Lingard are now on Ole's list of players he feels he can no longer influence and so he will not waste anymore time with them. This could mean at least 3 to 4 seasons of development, and this time it really will be from the 'ground/roots upward'.

Regardless of the 'profit taking' from the Glazers the club cannot go on spending at the rate it has, for the return it gets. Also with the manager more inclined to 'grow his own' there will not be the same pressure on Woodward, for funds; although Ed will still find it difficult to resist a star name who can sell £m's of pounds worth of shirts and other merchandise, even if he is no use to the team!

If Woodward has to sack Ole, or Ole himself walks, the shareholders in New York will want an explanation from the CEO, how he's lost four managers, spent nearly £1B on transfers and we are still heading the wrong way in the PL... even Ed's reputation can only last so long!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
admittedly, I had to rely on the radio for the game but it sounded humiliating and embarrassing. also, I only heard pogba's name three times... against Rochdale! clearly doesn't what to be at United (unless we pay him £600k/week)

LJJT

Either you have not seen us play this season, or you are a WUM. I won't bother explaining why because it's so obvious.
Your wrong on both counts. I’m too busy to spend my time winding people up on online forums. We had many chances vs wolves, palace, saints. Vs West Ham granted we where shocking but even then we fluffed one great chance. If we don’t create chances vs arsenal then we really are in the mire.

Devil may care

So the board listened to him regarding Fellaini, Darmian, Sanchez and Lukaku but not on Jones? I very much doubt so. There seem to be this mantra surrounding British players who 'understand the club' which explains why Jones was kept. Things between the two might have degenerated later on or Jones was always meant to be kept as 4th choice CB but I can't see how he was given such a long contract behind the manager's back

Regarding ole things won't improve unless the club is restructured big time. I am hoping that ole's imminent sacking would cost Woodward's job as well. From an administrative point of view the best course of action at this point is to bring in a real manager as we are starving from a tactical POV. Id say Howe could do the trick. Alternatively we go for a transitional manager like Wenger.
The Lukaku and Sanchez deals happened well into his tenure and the club has been trying to shift Darmian for ages, with Fellaini I genuinely believe the club knew selling him would buy some more goodwill with fans after the Mournho misery. I think the Jones deal was already well advanced, it was the stupidity of the club not just making it 2+1 that has made things worse.

The bolded part is interesting, you think his sacking is on the cards? I agree that if he is sacked Woodward has to go as well, the guy has overseen every failure over the last 7 years, and will have appointed 4 dud managers. I'm allergic to the word transition at this point, not interested in a 70 year old stop-gap, if we pull the trigger go and get one of these young managers with a clear vision of how he wants his team to play and a concrete ethos.

devilish

The Lukaku and Sanchez deals happened well into his tenure and the club has been trying to shift Darmian for ages, with Fellaini I genuinely believe the club knew selling him would buy some more goodwill with fans after the Mournho misery. I think the Jones deal was already well advanced, it was the stupidity of the club not just making it 2+1 that has made things worse.

The bolded part is interesting, you think his sacking is on the cards? I agree that if he is sacked Woodward has to go as well, the guy has overseen every failure over the last 7 years, and will have appointed 4 dud managers. I'm allergic to the word transition at this point, not interested in a 70 year old stop-gap, if we pull the trigger go and get one of these young managers with a clear vision of how he wants his team to play and a concrete ethos.
I don't think he'll be sacked anytime soon however I do believe that this will end up with us sacking him. Lets face it, the guy is horribly out of depth. Sure, any manager would struggle with that board but.....that doesn't mean that Ole is up to the task.

Regarding Ole, a friend of mine with very close connections to United told me something last week that I initially found it silly but the more time passes the more I find intriguing. What if everything is part of a plan? What if Ole was brought not because we thought he is good enough but simply because he'll do what is thought to be needed ie get rid of what the club thinks to be high earning players and deadwood without asking anything in exchange like new players etc? Ole would then fall on his sword and the new manager would then find a clean sleet to work with rather then a toxic situation.

This might sound crazy but I did worked with a company who used a similar attitude. There was a particular department (not the one I worked with) which was ridiculously bloated and overpaid, with many people growing complacent there. The company decided to hire some American dude, who came there, he used every trick in the book to kick them out, he brought 1-2 dead certs and then he left the company before the heat consumed him. Turned out that this person wasn't hired to restructure that particular department but only to act as a hit man for the new guy to go in and find a clean sleet that he can work with.

I do agree that we should go for a young manager as well. Someone with experience at a decent level of football not someone who only managed at amateur level.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I don't think he'll be sacked anytime soon however I do believe that this will end up with us sacking him. Lets face it, the guy is horribly out of depth. Sure, any manager would struggle with that board but.....that doesn't mean that Ole is up to the task.

Regarding Ole, a friend of mine with very close connections to United told me something last week that I initially found it silly but the more time passes the more I find intriguing. What if everything is part of a plan? What if Ole was brought not because we thought he is good enough but simply because he'll do what is thought to be needed ie get rid of what the club thinks to be high earning players and deadwood without asking anything in exchange like new players etc? Ole would then fall on his sword and the new manager would then find a clean sleet to work with rather then a toxic situation.

This might sound crazy but I did worked with a company who used a similar attitude. There was a particular department (not the one I worked with) which was ridiculously bloated and overpaid, with many people growing complacent there. The company decided to hire some American dude, who came there, he used every trick in the book to kick them out, he brought 1-2 dead certs and then he left the company before the heat consumed him. Turned out that this person wasn't hired to restructure that particular department but only to act as a hit man for the new guy to go in and find a clean sleet that he can work with.

I do agree that we should go for a young manager as well. Someone with experience at a decent level of football not someone who only managed at amateur level.
I get where people are coming from when they say that squad and injuries accounted for, we should still be able to beat Astana and Rochdale more comfortably, I think the thing for me is I've kinda lost hope that it will ever be turned around so seeing a couple of great young talents perform well is like a barometer of my expectation level at this point.

If that theory was to become a reality then Ole really would be the babyfaced assassin! :eek: :devil:

Definitely, whether it's Poch, Nagelsmann, ten Hag, someone that has a degree of top class qualifications and a very defined approach and ethos to their football.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 294 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Rochdale win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:0 Rochdale
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Rochdale