EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

OrcaFat

It was a terrible performance with some major feck-ups. Obviously we will lose most games if we do that.

We were pretty ravaged by injuries and several players coming back from being out and lacking match sharpness. It’s no wonder we lost, really.

However, we lose too many games by big margins and being battered off the park. It shouldn’t happen. We believe we finally have a top manager but we still can’t stop capitulating. I can only conclude that the squad still needs a big overhaul. I suppose we need 24 players of pretty consistent quality so EtH can actually manage them, rotate them etc. We can bring a few kids through but, oh dear, I can’t see us getting the job done without spending a billion quid.

redcucumber

Is he incapable of moving towards a pass?
Sorry but what the feck are you on about? Move towards a pass? Even if he did move towards the pass, there is still a man in between him and De Gea, which you initially said there wasn't. It's a textbook hospital pass. Why do people try and argue the most bizarre points on here?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think we need to read too much into it (beyond a trend of horrible big away games now).

Absolutely tragic from Maguire and De Gea, but we know they are tragic footballers, so not really a surprise. Better see a response vs Brighton, but they are much better than Sevilla. We'll see.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Sorry but what the feck are you on about? Move towards a pass? Even if he did move towards the pass, there is still a man in between him and De Gea, which you initially said there wasn't. It's a textbook hospital pass. Why do people try and argue the most bizarre points on here?
Sorry, you're so far off it's impossible to talk to you.

Jordan_mufc

Sancho, Dalot, Maguire, De Gea, Lindelof, AWB. They all performed like this under Ole. Why are we surprised?

Jordan_mufc

Not a hospital for me, Maguire could've turned out and taken all of those defenders out the game.

Risky pass but Maguire showed for it then played a scuffed ball that was intercepted

redcucumber

Sorry, you're so far off it's impossible to talk to you.
:lol: you've literally been shown a still of an image which shows there is a man in between the two players, and yet you are still dying on your little hill. You strike me as the type that will often get into circular and pointless arguments, so I'll leave ye to it.

Ricky Spanish

We go from really good vs weaker teams to awful vs bigger a lot.

We are far away from City levels which we should try to reach so we can win the league.

Our squad is in theory not bad, but I think the biggest issue in the 11 is De Gea. He has so many bad games. Also lack of a really good striker.

Antony and Martinez has also not been as good as we hoped for and Casemiro has struggled recently.

The bright sparks been Bruno, Shaw and Rashford who have stepped up after a shocking last season.

Maguire and Lindelöf are good players, but they look so nervy particular Maguire. For England he has played better.

I think for next season we buy 1 striker, 2 keeper, 3 central defensive mid, 4 defender that can play both centre and fullback.
Don't agree with this. Antony started his United career well, got dragged by the media for an unnecessary spin and dropped off for a few games. Recently been one of our best players. Martinez widely underestimated and been the best defender for a while now. Casemiro undroppable until bad refereeing stepped in, bad game tonight admittedly but that's true of everyone - oh, except Antony!

KD6-3.7

Couldn’t watch the game live but saw a nine minute highlight reel in which our only attacking highlight was a shot from Casemiro in the second half but I knew after the first goal and how it came we weren’t going to win.

redcucumber

Not a hospital for me, Maguire could've turned out and taken all of those defenders out the game.

Risky pass but Maguire showed for it then played a scuffed ball that was intercepted
It's a textbook hospital pass. He did the same thing to Eriksen against Brentford. De Gea's inability to play out from the back is infamous and this is another example in a long history of them. He has the lay of the land and can see there are three players within close proximity of Maguire and yet still plays the pass - why? Because he is completely crap at playing out from the back.

stu_1992

Absolutely nightmare tie. Shite goals in both legs, ranging from unlucky to just downright terrible by us. Those two games also decimated our squad with injuries.

Cathy Ferguson

A reality check ahead of the transfer window which should be very busy. Fans expecting us to sell Maguire and Lindelöf for 30m each will be disappointed.

The most depressing part was that they wanted it more. We have too many players that are weak mentally.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Too many players in the side tonight with no bravery at all. Imagine playing for United and getting spooked by a crowd. Just unbelievable.
Players I’d move on?
Jones
DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Fred
Martial
Weghorst
Sancho
Elanga
McSauce
DVB
I cant argue with any of that. A big clear out is vital.

AlPistacho

Even though difference is clear. My issue is why is De Gea not scooping the ball to the LW in the first video and similarly to Dalot today.
I don’t know. Could be his own limitations, or could be instructions to play it to the nearest man. I agree it’s a risky pass, but not uncommon amongst top teams.

redcucumber

As an aside, that’s quite an incredible picture. Hard to believe white are attacking and red defending. Where the feck are our guys?
Yep. Within the first 10 minutes, too. It's unreal stuff. That axis of De Gea - Maguire - Lindelof all need to leave.

robsoll

Get real! Ten Hag put Maguire as captain, as any United fan knows he is one of the worst players to have ever put the shirt on, the captain is the one player on the team every one looks up to, you know Bryan Robson, Keane, and many others to name, Maguire is a joke and will go down in Old Trafford history as one of the most expensive failures, if not the most, and I say to any of you out there, when did You lift your game when the captain is one of the worst players on the team? The captain deserves respect, Maguire deserves none, and it showed on the pitch, failure follows Maguire, Ten Hag needs to realise that or failure will be his time at Old Trafford.

foolsgold

It's on DDG as much as Maguire, he knows he's slow and will be closed down, he should never have passed it to him
100% true, Magure calling for the call was brain dead but De Gea can see the 3 players and the danger that Magure is in, he should put his foot through it.

Telsim

City are in a shout for a treble. We are getting knocked out of the Europa League by Sevilla 5-2 on agg. They have arguably the best player in the world. We have to make do with a Burnley reject. We've spent almost as much as them over the years, even taking into account their money under the table, but the difference between the two clubs is as fundamental and encompassing as it is insurmountable. Simple as that.

There's no competitive culture in this club. Just a culture of mediocrity and serial disappointment. It permeates everything. Sancho, Maguire, De Gea, Lindelof, Martial, amongst others. These players have no business playing for this club and at this level. But they are not just playing, are they? They are getting paid absolute top, top tier wages. And they are just the last in a line that's getting pretty long now. Paying top tier fees and wages for genuine mediocrity. The talks about offering De Gea a new contract is a testament to that, even if it's a lower salary. Nothing will change without a complete restart. Without an almost complete evisceration of the senior club management structure and squad. Too many chances have been given to people undeserving. This is where we are. And this is where we remain. Absolutely everything hangs on how the supposed sale of the club will go.

God, how many times have I had this talk over the past 10 years? The definition of insanity and all that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another battering! There’s one every few games

Kevzter

What today showed was the importance of Bruno Fernandes. Without him we are fecked!
Sure, and to think that there's a thread on here titled "We will never win the league with Bruno Fernandez in the team" :lol:

BorisManUtd

This was our 52nd game this season, 9/10 more to go. It was a poor, poor performance and we can be angry about it but it happened already, now need players to up their game for final part of the season and make all good things that happened this year count.

Hopefully Garnacho and Varane will be back soon. Shaw (hopefully he’s fine) and Rashford back, midfield there except for McTominay and of course van de Beek.

Edwards6

100% true, Magure calling for the call was brain dead but De Gea can see the 3 players and the danger that Magure is in, he should put his foot through it.
Silly pass by De Gea but looking where the Sevilla players are if Maguire had any awareness he could of just turned away from them and beat the press

Chief123

Such a calamitous performance!

We’ve had 6 absolutely shite goals scored against us in this tie. Lucky that one got ruled off for offside.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
De Gea should had seen the danger and just hoofed it. That said our attitude stank from the off. We were 2 up at home to this mob and let them back into it.
Our first choice centre backs were missed big time.
Maguire is a disaster, I don’t care how well he played against fffing Forest. De Gea is done.
We need to just get rid of Martial. Probably Sancho too.
Sigh.

Jezpeza

It was a terrible performance with some major feck-ups. Obviously we will lose most games if we do that.

We were pretty ravaged by injuries and several players coming back from being out and lacking match sharpness. It’s no wonder we lost, really.

However, we lose too many games by big margins and being battered off the park. It shouldn’t happen. We believe we finally have a top manager but we still can’t stop capitulating. I can only conclude that the squad still needs a big overhaul. I suppose we need 24 players of pretty consistent quality so EtH can actually manage them, rotate them etc. We can bring a few kids through but, oh dear, I can’t see us getting the job done without spending a billion quid.
Agreed. Dont think it will cost a billion but we need 14 or 15 players who could be starters for us any week and who have the quality and consistency to do it almost every game. At the moment we have Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Bruno Rashford and at a push Antony.

I wouldn’t lose much sleep over us listening to offers and selling any other players in the squad bar maybe Garnacho.

IMO the key this summer is to try and bring in 4 starters so we have a top first 11 with everyone fit (that could cost another 250 mil) and then moving on a few though obviously it has to be phased so it cant be all of them.

Its a 2/3 season project to assemble a good enough squad from where we were and i actually think we have over achieved this season - i am delighted with the league cup win but we had an easy run in that competition. We could arguably improve the squad this summer and win nothing next season if the cup runs are hard.

alexthelion

This is why we need a new keeper urgently. DDG at fault for all three goals imo.

Forget a CF, a new goalkeeper is our major need.

RedOrange

Ten Hag also has to take the criticism tonight - can he not motivate these players to turn up in one of the biggest and eminently winnable games of the season?
This is the 3rd or 4th manager who has been unable to 'motivate' most of these players. The problem is that they're not good enough.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just watch the reply on YouTube, it is all almost due to De Gea. 1st and the last goal is due to his poor decision making. Never quite understands why he pass to Maguire with 3 defenders surrounding him. Wouldn't it be better just a kick it up the field? Once Seville scored, it set the tone for the rest of the game. Maybe this performance will screw up De Gea contract negotiations, he either walk or take less money to stay at Utd. I seriously don't think any team is the world will pay him top dollars after this performance. Time for a new no.1 in Utd, Maguire can be sold with the right offer else he can be the backup CB. Lastly, zero Sancho highlight about Sancho. Sancho is done at Utd, you can see why he didn't make it at City. I don't even think any English team will buy him unless he is that cheap. Time to sell Sancho to the highest bidder since Garnacho is ready to take his place. Let's focus on Top 4 which I think we have a great advantage. Losing does ease our congestion fixture and hopefully, no more brain fart with DD and Maguire.

NiceGuyEddie

Yea we were crap but I cannot get over how flukey/gifted all 5 goals were. The first two especially as we wouldn’t have been in this situation without them.

- Double deflection off Malacia and then de Gea

- Header going miles wide deflected in off Maguire’s head

- Mistake by Maguire so close to the goal.

- Guy goes to head it, misses it completely and it bounces off his shoulder causing the looping effect.

- Mistake by de Gea

They played well but not a single goal was something well worked by Sevilla. I’ve never seen luck like it over a two legged tie. It’s incredible.
Positive proof that you make your own luck. Nobody is that lucky just going through the motions. No, Sevilla played with confidence, passion and gusto and knew which of our buttons to press.

GeorgieB7

Couldn’t agree more. Time and time again these boys let us down. Obviously can’t get rid due to wages but we have to give ten Haag cart Blanche to get rid of these imposters. Whatever we thought of Jose and every one has their opinion he called out a lot of the same players who continue to fail the club years later.

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd