PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 April 2024

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I've been waiting for someone else to make that reference about names, there's MacAllister, and I think a Polish guy and it's unsettled me! I know all about how Scots went to big industrial places in Ukraine years ago or other mining countries so you see people with fair skin and red hair but still, it just seems unusual. I might add a Sanchez to mine to just add a bit of Latin flair.
Good grief. What century is it on the Isle of Man?

E-mal

Sheffield are shite, not much to take from the win but happy we did

redmanx

Sheffield are shite, not much to take from the win but happy we did
I agree, but 3 points is 3 points and, all things considered, it was a decent team performance, but no top team would let us come back twice from being behind.

croadyman

Who was the guy with Wilcox and Brailsford at the game on Wednesday. Have seen someone on reddit suggest it's Mitchell but can't see that happening

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Wow, we beat the worst team in the Premier League …

Absolutely worthless match … Where are the standards?

For the first time in my life I was hoping for defeat … (blah, blah) imminent cup final loss
Troll. Bye.

NICanRed

I notice his absence on the 2nd goal.
Every time Garnacho got the ball he immediately headed towards goal - not always effective but made their defence work. Every time Antony got the ball he dithered and then passed back to Cas. Certainly didn't worry their defence for a second.

Kellyiom

Good grief. What century is it on the Isle of Man?
Haha, just reading that, it looks bad. But we're firmly 19th century still. But it is actually true, a lot of Scots emigrated to Eastern Europe to work in the steel and coal industry. Horrendous way of describing it, I agree!

Kellyiom

It is a problem in football, all these names. It's like they can just call themselves what they want.

Like when it turned out Ronaldinho meant "little Ronaldo" yet at the time he was bigger than Ronaldo, so Ronaldo was little Ronaldinho, which made Ronaldinho little little little Ronaldo.

Also Collins John. Was he born back to front? Did his birth certificate get printed the wrong way round amd his parents were too ashamed of him to get it changed? What would be the plural if there was more than one Collins? Or what if Collins was with two Colins and you needed to call Collins over but not either of the Colins? Then what?
That's the sort of problem I would like to see Brian Clough tackle.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Haha, just reading that, it looks bad. But we're firmly 19th century still. But it is actually true, a lot of Scots emigrated to Eastern Europe to work in the steel and coal industry. Horrendous way of describing it, I agree!
Ha! Thank you. I shall let you off. Scotland's greatest export has always been its people, to all parts of the world. Would love to know how many of us are in England but of course the UK census doesn't allow for that. Cheers.

Kellyiom

Ha! Thank you. I shall let you off. Scotland's greatest export has always been its people, to all parts of the world. Would love to know how many of us are in England but of course the UK census doesn't allow for that. Cheers.
That's true that, I think all the Celtic people are historical travellers, especially from absorbing Scandinavian and Viking cultures. I suppose they were the pioneers of their day just like we're thinking about some form of settlement on Mars or the Moon.

Their use of the lodestone to accurately gauge where the sun was going to rise was like our GPS I suppose, they certainly didn't believe in 'flat earth', that's for sure!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, so, turns out Sheffield really are atrocious rather than this being another turning point... and they still managed to score two against us.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yeah, so, turns out Sheffield really are atrocious rather than this being another turning point... and they still managed to score two against us.
You'd think more fans would learn by now, after the millions of false dawns since 2013. And that's without even taking into consideration the fact that this Sheffield side is objectively in the bottom 3 of all-time PL squads.

AndySmith1990

It'd take someone of very questionable intelligence to come to the conclusion that we'd turned a corner by beating one of the all time worst PL teams.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It'd take someone of very questionable intelligence to come to the conclusion that we'd turned a corner by beating one of the all time worst PL teams.
The poll shifted from 20% in to 26% after that game, so it seems like quite a few fans did come to that conclusion!

Yagami

Good post resistant
You'd think more fans would learn by now, after the millions of false dawns since 2013. And that's without even taking into consideration the fact that this Sheffield side is objectively in the bottom 3 of all-time PL squads.
It must be nice to have some optimism, though. We get labelled as pessimists and moaners but, unfortunately for us, we're usually right. We'd rather be wrong and for us to actually be good again but you have to say what you see.

Who thought that?
A fair few people thought that! As @Big Ben Foster points out, a lot of people changed their stance on him based on it, and there were loads of rumblings about ten Hag changing his style to a possession based one after a meeting with what'shisface.

Turns out we didn't change our style. Sheffield were just that bad.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 91% of 182 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 166 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw