PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 April 2024

AndyMUFC

We never make it too easy for ourselves but nice to get the win.

First half was what I'd like to see a lot more of, to the point where people were I saw people on social media questioning if that Wilcox report was right :lol: Bar the mistake from Onana we were much more calm and patient on the ball instead of the chaos ball we often play. We went back to that style second half but when a game between us and Sheffield United becomes open, there is usually only one winner.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We almost kept the opposition to single digit shots :eek:

Big Andy

Bloke
Sheffield United really annoyed me tonight. That goalie being a time wasting prick, Ben Brereton-Diaz being a scruffy cnut and that midget cnut being a cnut.

glad they got a battering in the end

Wing Attack Plan R

Happy with the win. Hojlund got a goal and Bruno was class. Lovely header from Maguire.

My main gripe though is a common occurrence, what the hell is he doing with Mainoo tactically?
He is literally in the centre forward position or num 10 position most of the time while Dalot is in midfield getting on the ball?
This is the most talented midfielder we’ve developed in 20 years and he’s completely limiting the amount of possession he gets. Frustrating to watch.
It was interesting seeing Dalot abandon the flank and storm through central midfield as a deep lying playmaker, and he was one of the few who passed and then continued to run, which saw him 1v1 with the keeper and no clue what to do.
Happy that Hojland got his goal at the end. Was at game and kept my eye on him first half, he must have made 15 runs in that 45 min but we never play the ball down the middle and kept going to wide areas where we never cross the ball. That has to be instructions from manager and quite frankly I will be glad not to have to watch his brand of tumescent football next season.

Ok win though, that's it.
De-tumescent, surely?

croadyman

More shots than the opposition,what is this utter madness I am seeing from us tonight

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Just home, had a few after and car park heaving.

Very bad at times, AWB awful, especially when in advanced positions. Casemiro looked leggy too.

Ball over the top was so obviously on most of first 30 and not used much-players and Ten Hag should have seen it.

We are so slow in build up, it’s ridiculous especially when our attackers will do better with quicker ball. One of the positives of going behind is we speed up and take a bit more risks… should do that when drawing or ahead though as well. Become a habit

S Utd were poor, liked the no.20 who did a very good job on Garnacho.

Time wasting was ridiculous… goalie started in third minute. Almost lost my voice shouting at the ref about it. Don’t think he booked anyone all game? Should have given them about 10 for time wasting and that goalie timeout after McT challenge was pathetic. Ref was dreadful.

Highlights were Bruno (looked like running on fumes at the end), Maguire, Mainoo. Amad looked lively when came on and should get more minutes. Really glad to see Wheatley come on .. got some god cheers especially when he just shoves that S Utd defender. One of several in the U18s that could make it.. I like him.

Weird night… didn’t play well, S Utd players are almost all tw@ts but won and Newcastle and Liverpool lost. Result!

Bed…..

Stig

Sheffield United really annoyed me tonight. That goalie being a time wasting prick, Ben Brereton-Diaz being a scruffy cnut and that midget cnut being a cnut.

glad they got a battering in the end
You are a very angry person.

prateik

Sheffield Utd have the worst defensive record in the league.. by some margin as well..
We have been scoring goals over the past couple of months..

Saying we scored 4 because Rashford wasn't playing is ridiculous... Rashford has been garbage.. but its not like we have too many better options.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Sheffield Utd have the worst defensive record in the league.. by some margin as well..
We have been scoring goals over the past couple of months..

Saying we scored 4 because Rashford wasn't playing is ridiculous... Rashford has been garbage.. but its not like we have too many better options.
Its not garbage. Look at the underlying statistics without him in the first half. Compare it to the same statistics vs Coventry first half.

With a supposedly far worse Antony in his place. With Sheff UTD protecting a lead with a deliberate low block.

Its time people quit making all the excuses under the sun for him this season. He has had a write off year and we need to stop allowing him to sinks us further with him.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
We score four. Wheatley debut. Some selfless performances, especially by Bruno, Maguire. Dalot. Decent by Casemiro and Eriksen, too. On a night when Pool lost, Newcastle lost. We are growing under Ten Hag. I’m not a fan of Antony, I have lost faith in Marcus Rashford and I think Onana has a worrying glitch factor. But the core of this team is in place. I’d love to see three key additions.

Ghirahim

I expected a comfortable win, Sheffield United are bottom of the league.

Zed 101

I watched on TV last night, and maybe it would have been different if I was at the match, but this was a very dull game which was unbelievable considering there were 6 goals.

Performance was OK but we lacked any cutting edge, IMO we were lucky to get the penalty, that sort of grappling goes unpunished all the time (although we had maybe scored before the whistle went anyway), I am not going to be overly critical we won, and mostly controlled the game, but it felt like a team understandably very low on confidence and energy, playing a team who are already consigned to relegation, Bruno had an outstanding game and was the difference.

Maybe this is a ground out result which starts something building for the remaining games, I sincerely hope so, we need to get a head of steam up if we hope to get anything out of the FA cup and ETH needs a run of form if he is to convince INEOS to stick with him.

Maticmaker

Good result, but we are not getting anymore difficult to play against, e.g a team adrift at the bottom of the league scored twice, at OT.
However, even when we went behind I never had the feeling we would lose, but it worried me how much we still struggle to beat poor opposition.
Lets see what happens against Burnley.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Game had a very end of season/who gives a shite feel to it. Which would be ok I guess but all of our games seem to have that kind of feel to them, just this one had the added bonus of being against one of the worst teams ever.

Seemed like every time we tried a hopeful ball over the top, even if it was a terrible one, we'd either get through on goal or they'd get themselves into some kind of problematic situation. This is what I imagine it would be like if your entire defence was Lindelof and also he had lost the ability to see.

We still managed to make a massive meal of it. Outside of Bruno I'm not convinced we played any good football at all. There was no real plan or any kind of concerted type of pressure. We just sort of relied on them eventually falling completely apart, which they duly did.

Not really sure what Sheffield United's plan was either. Time wasting, mainly. Except they weren't even very good at that. They did most of it when they weren't even winning and are already basically relegated, so what was the point in trying to play for a draw?

Ben Brererton Diaz's beard is not the correct type of beard for his face or hair, and his name is also not the correct type of name for anyone. You can't just add Diaz to the end of your name and hope it makes you sound less like you're from Stoke.

Hester_manc

3 best in that game:
1) Bruno
2) Maguire
3) Mainoo

3 worst in that game:
1) Onana
2) Antony
3) Eriksen

Red Regista

Wow, we beat the worst team in the Premier League and the worst defense in PL history. Congrats! United back to being world class for sure!
We should create our own Euro League, with the likes of Sheffield, Darmstadt, Salernitana, Luton and Coventry. Might even beat Coventry in the final by an inch....

Absolutely worthless match. It only proved that a 500 million pound squad could beat a relegated side that might struggle in the Championship next season. Celebrating this victory is like bragging about beating a Vauxhall off the line in a rented Lambo.
Where are the standards?

For the first time in my life I was hoping for defeat, so that Ten hag is gone for good.
He might just saved his arse again, by people hyping up this glorious home win over Sheffield. Heck, the fans and executives might even find enough arguments to justify the imminent cup final loss vs City (Ten Hag needs more time, we've had so many injuries, we're almost there yet, City are the best team in Europe etc.)

Cantonagotmehere

Great performance from Bruno. One thing I do enjoy about him is you could see he was trying to get Wheatley and Amad more opportunities at the end of the game. I am not sure he is the best captain but he has good traits like that.

Glad Rasmus scored.

Some great goals, but sadly all that matters is the FA Cup underdog finale.

Last edited:

Pughnichi

3 best in that game:
1) Bruno
2) Maguire
3) Mainoo

3 worst in that game:
1) Onana
2) Antony
3) Eriksen
can’t argue with that. Shout out to Dalot as well who was brilliant off the ball. Either through the middle or regular overlaps on both wings.

Oranges038

Wow, we beat the worst team in the Premier League and the worst defense in PL history. Congrats! United back to being world class for sure!
We should create our own Euro League, with the likes of Sheffield, Darmstadt, Salernitana, Luton and Coventry. Might even beat Coventry in the final by an inch....

Absolutely worthless match. It only proved that a 500 million pound squad could beat a relegated side that might struggle in the Championship next season. Celebrating this victory is like bragging about beating a Vauxhall off the line in a rented Lambo.
Where are the standards?

For the first time in my life I was hoping for defeat, so that Ten hag is gone for good.
He might just saved his arse again, by people hyping up this glorious home win over Sheffield. Heck, the fans and executives might even find enough arguments to justify the imminent cup final loss vs City (Ten Hag needs more time, we've had so many injuries, we're almost there yet, City are the best team in Europe etc.)
Can't understand this mindset.

Totally dominant performance, yeah they still managed to gift them 2 shit goals, but in overall play that was what you expect when playing those teams. You'd think people would be happy with that.

Kellyiom

Game had a very end of season/who gives a shite feel to it. Which would be ok I guess but all of our games seem to have that kind of feel to them, just this one had the added bonus of being against one of the worst teams ever.

Seemed like every time we tried a hopeful ball over the top, even if it was a terrible one, we'd either get through on goal or they'd get themselves into some kind of problematic situation. This is what I imagine it would be like if your entire defence was Lindelof and also he had lost the ability to see.

We still managed to make a massive meal of it. Outside of Bruno I'm not convinced we played any good football at all. There was no real plan or any kind of concerted type of pressure. We just sort of relied on them eventually falling completely apart, which they duly did.

Not really sure what Sheffield United's plan was either. Time wasting, mainly. Except they weren't even very good at that. They did most of it when they weren't even winning and are already basically relegated, so what was the point in trying to play for a draw?

Ben Brererton Diaz's beard is not the correct type of beard for his face or hair, and his name is also not the correct type of name for anyone. You can't just add Diaz to the end of your name and hope it makes you sound less like you're from Stoke.
I've been waiting for someone else to make that reference about names, there's MacAllister, and I think a Polish guy and it's unsettled me! I know all about how Scots went to big industrial places in Ukraine years ago or other mining countries so you see people with fair skin and red hair but still, it just seems unusual. I might add a Sanchez to mine to just add a bit of Latin flair.

mu4c_20le

Can't understand this mindset.

Totally dominant performance, yeah they still managed to gift them 2 shit goals, but in overall play that was what you expect when playing those teams. You'd think people would be happy with that.
We went behind twice. Had to rely on a moment of brilliance from Bruno to decide the game. At home!

Oranges038

We went behind twice. Had to rely on a moment of brilliance from Bruno to decide the game. At home!
Utd lost to arguably a worse Sheffield Utd team under Ole at home.

But, like I said, it was 2 shit goals just given away. Standard fair for this lot, Wan Bissaka in particular for the second was a disgrace. Expected, but he's beyond redemption at this stage.

Otherwise, totally dominant in possession and chances, Etheridge make some good saves and Utd scored 3 good goals and a penalty.

Not a perfect performance, but you'll always have moaners who would rather see the team lose to get their way than just be happy to watch the team play well and score 4 goals.

Stig

Where are the standards?

How do you feel when we lose ?

Stig

Get Shaw and Martinez back.
Get Mount in the team.
Get somebody else in goal.
Get a replacement at right back.

and we might be a lot better than we have been.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've been waiting for someone else to make that reference about names, there's MacAllister, and I think a Polish guy and it's unsettled me! I know all about how Scots went to big industrial places in Ukraine years ago or other mining countries so you see people with fair skin and red hair but still, it just seems unusual. I might add a Sanchez to mine to just add a bit of Latin flair.
It is a problem in football, all these names. It's like they can just call themselves what they want.

Like when it turned out Ronaldinho meant "little Ronaldo" yet at the time he was bigger than Ronaldo, so Ronaldo was little Ronaldinho, which made Ronaldinho little little little Ronaldo.

Also Collins John. Was he born back to front? Did his birth certificate get printed the wrong way round amd his parents were too ashamed of him to get it changed? What would be the plural if there was more than one Collins? Or what if Collins was with two Colins and you needed to call Collins over but not either of the Colins? Then what?

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 91% of 182 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 166 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw