LC W League Cup Final

Southampton 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 February 2017

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thats the way I saw it.
How can you Not be interfearing with play when you are so close to the goal.
I'm not saying it was the best decision on review, but the idea it was a howler is just false. There is a certain amount of interpretation with these laws and I don't think it is a unfair interpretation. Bertrand is actually quite a bit away, but you can only see that from an elevated angle on TV. If he times his run better, he isn't in an offside position and the linesman has no reason to flag.

Nik70

He lost pretty much every 50/50 got out muscled and couldn't retain possession.
Lingard made some nice passes and got a goal that wasn't easy, did he run the defence ragged? No but what would you want from a no10 when their midfield can't keep the ball?
They bossed it from minute 1 and Herrera didn't play mid week either so should of been fresh, he needs to do better and this game highlighted why last week a lot of people were calling for an extra CM to be brought in so we can sub him or pogba if they are under performing
Other than scoring a goal, Lingard was utter shite...as were many of the United players today.

rpg

Can i say Zlatan single handedly won it?

Southampton truly wanted the trophy so much. They pressed non stop whole game until we couldnt settle down and play our game throughout the whole 90 mins.

Every player except Zlatan and De Gea have been dissapointing. In particular Bailly, Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Smalling, Valencia.

Sereques

feck you whoever wants Top 4 instead of more trophy. This is what Manchester United needs to be. Winning trophies, and trophies, and trophies.
Cute, but for the club to continue to sustain itself and win more trophies, we need Top 4. League cup & FA Cup is not going to pay the wages of Top players.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Southampton truly wanted the trophy so much. They pressed non stop whole game until we couldnt settle down and play our game throughout the whole 90 mins.

Every player except Zlatan and De Gea have been dissapointing. In particular Bailly, Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Smalling, Valencia.
I'm not Pogba's biggest fan but I thought he did alright yesterday, you can argue the price tag he cost and that he should be winning games for us like Zlatan but all in all I thought he did well and put in a shift yesterday, You left out Mata in your list by the way which is odd because he did absolutely nothing at all, couldn't even get on the ball before being taken off.

RedDevil@84

Final note - Gabbiadini is well worth a look for any big side seeking a 'fox in the box' type striker.
Sou'ton player. So Scousers must definitely be interested. With the right amount of hype, something like "Charlie Adam's corner kicks are worth 10M", he could be massively overpaid by them.

Ashley R1+O

What a game! Absolute whirlwind from start to finish. On the edge of my seat the whole way, absolutely chuffed for all the lads they deserved it. Mourinho's first!!

We got away with murder, let's be honest. Southampton were the better team by quite a margin and deserved to win; the offside goal was a really poor decision. It's the result that matters in a cup final, but that was a very poor performance, and once again Zlatan came to the rescue.

The defence was a shambles. I've said it before and will say it again: Rojo is never United class. Smalling doesn't fill me with confidence and Jones is constantly injured. Mourinho must sign a top centre half in the summer to play alongside Bailly next season.

Pogba and Herrera were dominated in midfield - I expected much better. The whole team looked weary to me.

Anyway, thank God for Zlatan. That's one trophy in the bag and Jose off and running. We're still a work in progress, but we're winning along the way, which is good to see.

El Zoido

We were lucky. If Zlatan is having an off-day we lose this game, which is a bad place to be. We can't have our success depending on the performance of a single player.

Gladiator

Victories like this is one of the reasons we're hated. No wonder it brought a smile to SAF's face

Fredo

You broke my heart!
What a way to finish a final which we looked second-best in!

We had an away game at St-Etienne, we fielded a strong lineup (which was a bit weird given the 3-0 aggregate), we lost Mhki and Carrick in the game and we barely had 4 days to recover and prepare for our first final.

With all of the above, it was a bit expected that we wouldn't perform at the same level but honestly Southampton really played well and they had much more time to rest and prepare.

We were second-best in all aerial balls, they made sure Pogba and Martial are closed down for most of the game, without them, the service to Ibra was pretty much nullified.

When Martial found small bits of space, he played those simple passes with Mata and Rojo and all of a sudden we were 2-0 up. In the second half, he beat 3-4 players on his own and looked heading for goal, unfortunately that particular space was pretty much non-existent during the game as Southampton really pressed us.

Totally unhappy with their first goal as we looked complacent at the back and had we gone 2-0 at halftime, we would have been way better off (Couldn't give a toss about their disallowed goal, it's the referee's decision not ours)

I thought our defense was shambolic at times, we were clearing the ball without a proper plan to try and counter-attack, totally disappointed with Smalling as someone with his experience at United should be dealing better with aerial crosses. Valencia wandered forward too many times and couldn't track back in time, causing us endless problems, couldn't complain much though as most of the team players were playing mid-week.

With such a congested list of fixtures, to be able to beat a fresh Southampton side shows a certain eagerness to win games and not to give up. There were times last year where we dominate the opposition and barely register a shot on target and when we concede, we go into this panic mode.

This year it's different, I mean we conceded 2 goals after leading 2-0 but tried as much as we can to go forward and this is what we expect from our Manchester United team, we are the masters of late drama and I am totally glad we are back at it.

I was reading a bit some of those bitter Liverpool fans who are claiming the EFL cup isn't important, which is totally weird given they reached the semi-final and had a string of senior players playing and were still battered by Southampton, so I don't really understand how this cup can become something small after they got knocked-out, but plastic as usual.
Not to forget the ongoing debate about the total number of trophies, now we're on 42 compared to their 41, some are claiming to be on par on 44, which is also weird given their twitter account stated they were to most successful team with 41 trophies. All in all, I am truly happy that we are constantly knocking them off their perch without even playing to our potential, I hate Liverpool and I enjoy seeing them go into a total meltdown, whatever they do, we do it better.

Congratulations for us for winning this cup, players and manager, truly happy with the way Mourinho has turned us around so far, United we march!

Reactions: SteveJ

Roux

I don't understand why Ashley Young isn't our first choice left-back - he's soo much better than the other options we have there until Shaw is ready. I can't put the blame solely on Rojo - who just isn't a LB.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Absolutely wrong. Zlatan was amazing. Not just for his great play, but for his leadership on the pitch - see him getting in huddles after United score and reminding people to stay with the programme. But Lingard took his goal well, and made incisive runs. Carrick was an excellent substitution, regained our composure and influence in midfield. Valencia played well, too. Pogba's contribution was mixed, but there was a lot to like in there. Overall the raw courage to play through tiredness should be praised in all the players. In the pre match Jose said 'if they want it more than we do, they will win'. But he went on to say that was impossible, he has imbued determination and desire in his battle hardened troops. Praise all round, and time to celebrate.

unitedforeveral

This is the analysis of the cup final in my perspective,

1) It was a road to the finals that started when City fed there second stream team against us.
2) We always played the best team in all our competitions regardless of the strength of our opposition.
3) It was not easy playing games in such quick session.

yes, we did not manage to unveil our best football in the final but i think we deserve to be champions based on the route to the finals and the number of players who have been consistent in all the competitions. We now have a team that can grind out results even on bad days. It gives me immense pleasure to see Jose pissed off even after winning the final. The man wants to see his team play well all the time because he wants to win more and more trophies. Zlatan, i have to bow to this man! What a player! Last but not the least, Rooney, i wish he played but he was all applause when we scored and won. Nice to see he still wants us to win.

Europa and FA cup will be difficult but now i am sure we will not go down without a fight! #cheers

Tincanalley

What a way to finish a final which we looked second-best in!

We had an away game at St-Etienne, we fielded a strong lineup (which was a bit weird given the 3-0 aggregate), we lost Mhki and Carrick in the game and we barely had 4 days to recover and prepare for our first final.

With all of the above, it was a bit expected that we wouldn't perform at the same level but honestly Southampton really played well and they had much more time to rest and prepare.

We were second-best in all aerial balls, they made sure Pogba and Martial are closed down for most of the game, without them, the service to Ibra was pretty much nullified.

When Martial found small bits of space, he played those simple passes with Mata and Rojo and all of a sudden we were 2-0 up. In the second half, he beat 3-4 players on his own and looked heading for goal, unfortunately that particular space was pretty much non-existent during the game as Southampton really pressed us.

Totally unhappy with their first goal as we looked complacent at the back and had we gone 2-0 at halftime, we would have been way better off (Couldn't give a toss about their disallowed goal, it's the referee's decision not ours)

I thought our defense was shambolic at times, we were clearing the ball without a proper plan to try and counter-attack, totally disappointed with Smalling as someone with his experience at United should be dealing better with aerial crosses. Valencia wandered forward too many times and couldn't track back in time, causing us endless problems, couldn't complain much though as most of the team players were playing mid-week.

With such a congested list of fixtures, to be able to beat a fresh Southampton side shows a certain eagerness to win games and not to give up. There were times last year where we dominate the opposition and barely register a shot on target and when we concede, we go into this panic mode.

This year it's different, I mean we conceded 2 goals after leading 2-0 but tried as much as we can to go forward and this is what we expect from our Manchester United team, we are the masters of late drama and I am totally glad we are back at it.

I was reading a bit some of those bitter Liverpool fans who are claiming the EFL cup isn't important, which is totally weird given they reached the semi-final and had a string of senior players playing and were still battered by Southampton, so I don't really understand how this cup can become something small after they got knocked-out, but plastic as usual.
Not to forget the ongoing debate about the total number of trophies, now we're on 42 compared to their 41, some are claiming to be on par on 44, which is also weird given their twitter account stated they were to most successful team with 41 trophies. All in all, I am truly happy that we are constantly knocking them off their perch without even playing to our potential, I hate Liverpool and I enjoy seeing them go into a total meltdown, whatever they do, we do it better.

Congratulations for us for winning this cup, players and manager, truly happy with the way Mourinho has turned us around so far, United we march!
Well said, only 25 posts? Promotion on the horizon, methinks.

RedMaestro

It was obvious that the 15 days of rest for Southampton did a lot of good for them, both physically and tactically. Mourinho's men have had a very tough period with a lot of games, so it wasn't that big of a surprise that they could have an off game. Great to see that the team could win, despite playing really bad. A sign that it's a strong club.

Tincanalley

Anyone listening to Matt Le Tiss on TalkSport Breakfast?

What a tosser!
Is he still moaning about the disallowed goal? I like him usually, but he needs to let it go. At best it was an arguable call, and while they were heroic, raised their game, obviously prepared brilliantly, Matt needs to accept that they conceded three. Being a gallant loser is damn painful, but I think Southampton have a great future with this team (and perhaps a new keeper).

Siorac

I wonder wish is more realistic, a position we are off by two points or a random one off game. :rolleyes:
I think winning the Europa League is the easier option at this point. We've been sixth for months now and we have a brutal run-in.

Tincanalley

I was hoping for a little gloat this morning but can't seem to find any links to analysis. I guess most channels just concentrated on the awarding of the cup and post match celebrations. I love the footage of the final goal, ZI makes a clearance in his own box and winds up on the end of the cross after Martial finds Herrera. Cut to Rooney celebration while a blur of grey zooms past in the background. It's Jose, getting up speed for besuited knee-slide through penalty area, before he remembers that he has now become old and wise and worldly and also a litte bit about the flicker of Sir Bobby's blowtorch at his testicles.

'Say it again. "Club man". This is a team and it's not all about you, son'.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well, that was a great day out first and foremost. Love a Wembley trip, and this was the first time that I wasn't stuck in the top tier... and instead had a great seat towards the top of the 1st tier.

The support was generally good, though it seemed tough to get a coherent chant going between the different sections of support, not sure if thats how it seemed for others who were also at the game?

Anyway, we were crap, and Southampton were really good. They were intense, they ran at us, they passed the ball well, basically they did everything we didn't... the only things we had in common were a striker in top form, and neither of us could defend very well.

Their "offisde" goal didn't look offside at all to me on first view in the stadium, so was very surprised to see the flag raised. Southampton can definitely feel themselves hard done by... though can someone explain to me why their isn't a massive outcry that Jack Stephens challenge at the end of the first half on Martial should have been a red, much like there was when Mata did a similar challenge on Vardy (note: it might not be similar, as I haven't seen it since, but it definitely didn't look too dissimilar on first view)

Since when are our players unable to head a ball in any competant manner? Our clearances were largely shocking, and we were just weak in the air throughout the game (apart from big Zlats)... actually made me long for a bit of Marouane...

So yeah, lots of poor performers... pretty much everyone bar Zlatan really, including the other goalscorer (who did less then nothing apart from score, but hey, at least he scored).. Herrera was probably our second best player (and was directly involved in two goals) yet even he wasn't amazing or anything considering how often our midfield seemed to be bypass, and his passing in general wasn't up to his usual standards.

Rojo was just a walking disaster at left back, and I never want to see him there again... it was basically like playing without a left-back (or playing with Darmian) and it was the area they consistantly targeted.

Finally... Zlatan is the feckin' man. We should bow to his greatness.

MrSingh2002

Mourinho seemed to throw out his "lessons learnt" file yesterday.

-Rojo can't play left back well
-Rojo is better than Smalling this season at CB
-Smalling can't play football
-Herrera and Pogba don't work without Carrick
-Lingard is consistantly a poor performer (although he managed to get a goal out of Mr Wembley himself)

We won inspite of a poor performance from Mourinho. Everyone is allowed an odd mistake including him. To me it just seemed as though he disregarded evidence from this season and almost paid for it. I think that was the real reason for his demeanour during and post game, he felt his players were letting him down after he showed confidence in them to start them but also knew he ballsed up on a few key decisions. Fortunately for all United parties he was able to salvage the game by bringing Carrick on. It was one that almost got away overall but hopefully it's the first of a few this season IF Mourinho remembers his "lessons learnt"

SqueakyWeasel

Is he still moaning about the disallowed goal? I like him usually, but he needs to let it go. At best it was an arguable call, and while they were heroic, raised their game, obviously prepared brilliantly, Matt needs to accept that they conceded three. Being a gallant loser is damn painful, but I think Southampton have a great future with this team (and perhaps a new keeper).
What was he saying?
He was saying that big teams always get the calls from refs: 100% FACT!

Apparently, he said, someone recently refereeing City got a nod from the fourth official that changed a decision on its' head. He stated that would never happen to a club like Southampton. When asked by the presenter if he thought that was right he said no. The presenter then pointed out that it was a one-off occurrence and was against the rules so perhaps he should be aggrieved with City, or the refs, but not United. To which he said that he's been in the game long enough to know that big teams like United will always get favourable decisions.

He went on to say that United recently had eight games in a row where they scored from an illegal offside position :confused:

Note: Not sure where you get your facts from but I'm pretty certain that United are still in debit concerning refs decisions going for or against us Matty!

He sounded like a really wounded bitter fan that is still speaking from the hurt not from the head and apparently he's opened a whole can of worms on Twitter in doing so.

The guy on TalkSport said that someone from Tesco has apparently tweeted "Would you like to pop down and pick up some cheese and wine on us today to go with those sour grapes" :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was saying that big teams always get the calls from refs: 100% FACT!

Apparently, he said, someone recently refereeing City got a nod from the fourth official that changed a decision on its' head. He stated that would never happen to a club like Southampton. When asked by the presenter if he thought that was right he said no. The presenter then pointed out that it was a one-off occurrence and was against the rules so perhaps he should be aggrieved with City, or the refs, but not United. To which he said that he's been in the game long enough to know that big teams like United will always get favourable decisions.

He went on to say that United recently had eight games in a row where they scored from an illegal offside position :confused:

Note: Not sure where you get your facts from but I'm pretty certain that United are still in debit concerning refs decisions going for or against us Matty!

He sounded like a really wounded bitter fan that is still speaking from the hurt not from the head and apparently he's opened a whole can of worms on Twitter in doing so.

The guy on TalkSport said that someone from Tesco has apparently tweeted "Would you like to pop down and pick up some cheese and wine on us today to go with those sour grapes" :lol:
In 76, Southampton scored from an offside goal.

No one gave a feck then, why should I now because we got a call?

POF

I don't understand why Ashley Young isn't our first choice left-back - he's soo much better than the other options we have there until Shaw is ready. I can't put the blame solely on Rojo - who just isn't a LB.
He picked Rojo for his height at set pieces. He didn't play well at all but given the threat Southampton had at set pieces, it was a very understandable decision. Blind is the first choice left back all being equal and clearly a better option than Young.

Roux

He picked Rojo for his height at set pieces. He didn't play well at all but given the threat Southampton had at set pieces, it was a very understandable decision. Blind is the first choice left back all being equal and clearly a better option than Young.
We already had enough players with height - we needed to stop the crosses and runs into the box, which neither Rojo or Blind could have done imo because of their pace. Young has that ability. The crosses from particularly the left side were completely unopposed.

POF

We already had enough players with height - we needed to stop the crosses and runs into the box, which neither Rojo or Blind could have done imo because of their pace. Young has that ability. The crosses from particularly the left side were completely unopposed.
Their pace against James Ward-Prowse? Southampton were a huge threat from set pieces. They scored from one, hit the post from another and looked like scoring from many more.

Rojo was picking up Yoshida (one of the opposition centre backs). Would you want Young doing that?

Roux

Their pace against James Ward-Prowse? Southampton were a huge threat from set pieces. They scored from one, hit the post from another and looked like scoring from many more.

Rojo was picking up Yoshida (one of the opposition centre backs). Would you want Young doing that?
Well Tadic had him on toast and Ward-Prowse was whipping balls in for fun. They created alot more chances from crosses then they did set pieces. Only some last ditch defending saved us and the linesman. Left back was clearly where they were doing the most damage.

Like i said before - we had enough 6ft+ players to mark at set pieces.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well Tadic had him on toast and Ward-Prowse was whipping balls in for fun. They created alot more chances from crosses then they did set pieces. Only some last ditch defending saved us and the linesman. Left back was clearly where they were doing the most damage.

And it didn't really make a difference with Rojo on anyway as we were pretty garbage at defending crosses.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The number of crosses Soon got in, from both flanks was disturbing. Rojo was a joke and both Tadic and Redmond, doubled up on Tony. We had no answer.

POF

Tadic played really well and found lots of space between the United midfield and defence but was rarely on the right to "have him on toast".

Rojo didn't play well at all and didn't even defend corners vs Yoshida well but the decision to pick him made perfect sense. I'm not confident picking a winger at left back would have made the defence any more solid.

Man of the Match

Zlatan Ibrahimovic image Zlatan Ibrahimovic 96% of 987 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw