PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

haram

Yeah sure top 10 U21, definitely NOT.

Wayne Rooney at his age was a serial killer. But sure let's all hang on Rashford because...English lad from the academy.

The vast majority in here were all complaining about Mourinho cause of Lukaku.

Lukaku is top class mate, and he would be more useful than this failed Cristiano wannabe in the last 3 games.

As the fake Keano meme says about this local lad-runs a lot...killing disabled fans with his free kicks.

Ole is not the man that will drive us forward. He will come to the conclusion that we need a top striker, but up until then no big player would like to come to Manchester United.

Hurts me to say this but, Legend as a player, legendary flop as a manager
Well I also think Lukaku is a better striker than Rashford, but I don’t think Rashford is that good a striker anyway.

BulgarianDevil91

I get what you're saying, acting drastically and sacking Ole anytime soon wouldn't achieve anything, there are too many gaping holes in this team to properly assess him, but we should still be doing better.

I think what seriously rubbed me up the wrong way about today's performance was given what happened last week, I would have expected us to have a higher level of intensity and directness in our play. The game today, taken in isolation, wasn't terrible by any means, but I would have expected something more from a team who just got beaten at home by Crystal Palace.

The positives over the last 2-3 months are our 3 signings over the summer and the players we have shifted out. Hopefully Rojo and Darmian will soon follow as well. There seems to be a plan on the profile of player we are targeting, which is good, but none of it matters if finally some semblance of strategic planning doesn't formulate into performances and results on the pitch.

I think we'll suffer this year, but in the long run, over the next 2-5 years we won't miss the players we have sold, and if the right decisions are made, recruitment wise, hopefully we will benefit. I think its just a question bad will it get before it gets better. Missing another year of CL football, losing Pogba and De Gea could potentially derail any attempts at a rebuild.

As you said, there are positives, but we are also heading into a period of real uncertainty. The lack of quality and depth across the squad, especially in midfield is worrying, extremely so if Pogba gets injured. We're still 4-5 real quality signings away from competing again, the next two windows are more important than ever.
I fully agree. My only hope is we manage to get the players we need/want and only then I'd judge Ole's job here. He's basically still working with leftovers. One or two transfer windows in and we should mean business.

sugar_kane

We cant defend properly or attack!

Look at Wolves, very low budget club. Yet somehow we were unable to get the ball into their half of the pitch for 45 minutes.
Literally one of the highest net spends in the league.

Also I'm fairly certain that apart from the start of the second half we spent most of the game attacking.

Mr PG

We need to give Ole another season at least.

I feel there will be too many calling for his head soon.
Dropped points in 3 winnable games due to Ole. He’s too weak minded to designate a clear penalty taker like every other team does. Plays players even when they’re costing us(lindeleof made mistakes every game this season it was just a matter of time before it cost us. And very poor game management like not bringing on a midfielder against wolves until it was too late.

always_hoping

Could be worse or better depending on how you look at it. With a win on the 14th can go level with the 3rd place team next. Easier said than done.

Seij

Could be worse or better depending on how you look at it. With a win on the 14th can go level with the 3rd place team next. Easier said than done.
That would mean we'd have to beat Leicester City, with Young at left back and Pogba and Martial in doubt.

I don't see how the international break would help us in particular either when most of our players will be on international duty for their countries.

I used to have some confidence about United running into Bayern or even Barcelona in Europe. Now I see Leicester City at Old Trafford on the schedule and don't feel that we can beat them.

hocane

This is actually terrifying.
We aren't able to beat relegation contenders. What will happen when we start facing better teams? Don't want to say we in a relegation battle but if we keep not winning games we will be.

Number4.

It sounds crazy, but relegation form over 18 games, is relegation form. The squad is paper thin and laced with players who are brittle and rely on momentum. It's highly unlikely given the amount of poor teams, but there is a scenario where this snowballs, DDG mistakes continue, a couple of injuries and suddenly united are 16th come Christmas.

always_hoping

We’re already 7 pts off the top and we’ve only played 4 games :eek:
Was nearly certain we would be mile off the top 2 this season. The main focus has to be how many points we are off 3rd and 4th and hopefully that gap doesn't become greater after the next 4 games.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
At some point during the season are attack will consistently be

..............Martial
James.....Pogba.......Greenwood

- James is better on the left then the right
- Rashford just isn't good enough on the left or as striker
- This game cemented the fact Martial is much better than Rashford as striker

Why wait Ole? Let's see this the next match.

Sterling Archer

:lol: call me savage, but no sympathies there. Man has been lucky to live through decades of United being the country's best, countless joyous matches and many of them live im sure. Really not a big deal if he doesn't see United win another trophy in his lifetime.

Rajma

People may laugh it off but I can see us getting involved in relegation battle provided we get few injuries to key players and bad momentum taking over.

nyanza

People may laugh it off but I can see us getting involved in relegation battle provided we get few injuries to key players and bad momentum taking over.
It's football, anything is possible. Same can be said about Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea. Chelsea with Lampard and without Hazard, Tottenham in worse form than us in the last 10-12 league games and potential displeasure in the squad according to Pochettino, Arsenal being Arsenal. The only teams too good to hit a serious crisis "provided few injuries to key players and bad momentum taking over" are Liverpool and City.

nainaisson

At some point during the season are attack will consistently be

..............Martial
James.....Pogba.......Greenwood

- James is better on the left then the right
- Rashford just isn't good enough on the left or as striker
- This game cemented the fact Martial is much better than Rashford as striker

Why wait Ole? Let's see this the next match.
Mata was really good as No.10 against Southampton. I hope he stays there.

I agree about Martial and James, but I don't see Ole benching Rashford. I can see him playing on the right for now, until his awful form forces Ole to replace him with Greenwood.

matsdf

This is actually terrifying.
We aren't able to beat relegation contenders. What will happen when we start facing better teams? Don't want to say we in a relegation battle but if we keep not winning games we will be.
Well, our two best matches was Chelsea and Wolves, by far the two best teams we've faced this season. If anything I'm worried when we're the ones having to do all the attacking, our counter-attack is pretty slick at the moment.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd