PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Mon, 13 July 2020

Amarsdd

A 96th minute equalizer, many missed chances and a clear red card not given and yet all the hyenas in the media are out to take a bite. And what a feckin cnut Craig Burley is.

Gator Nate

Bad day at the office. Still pulled up a point on Leicester and Chelsea. They'll drop more, we'll finish third. Losing Williams really hurt at the end, but things were still fine until that last-second set-piece. Bad luck. Move on.

croadyman

Feels like the pressure of that opportunity to take third spot got to the players tonight, even more gutting than the draw is the fact we had two injuries and they should have had only ten men too.

peridigm

We're 18 games unbeaten! Yeah!
Mister positive over er'

Disappointed in the result but think we'll still take 3rd. Chelsea and Leicester have a more difficult set of matches, on paper at least.
Southampton came for a result and they got it. Those two Those 2-3 missed goals/saves are what did us in. Those goals go in and Southampton give up in the 2nd half.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
How was it strange? There was a clash of heads during the 90th minute that took 3-4 minutes for play to resume. That will have gone on top of the 5 already allocated minutes.
Fair enough. But definitely the red card denial was a shocker. That was an ankle breaker and a clear red card all day long, and a huge advantage to United.

croadyman

I've been asking the same over and over. How is this not a red? How can VAR not go back and look at this and give a red? It was blatant and intentional.
Yeah especially when you saw a ref actually go and look at the screen in a game recently but he just couldn't be bothered tonight. What in the hell was the difference between that and the Nketiah one against Leciester.

shahzy

A 96th minute equalizer, many missed chances and a clear red card not given and yet all the hyenas in the media are out to take a bite. And what a feckin cnut Craig Burley is.
i like Burley usually but that was a nightmare of an interview. He went absolute moron. Talking like utd has been on a 10 game losing streak. Yes they didnt win but they also didnt lose

alexthelion

I am a GK coach and as much as that may be feasible, as any other player on the pitch, a GK plays to his strengths. De Gea isn't the most imposing Gk so he relies on his reflexes and shot stopping abilities for the 2nd ball. It may sound crazy but I wont ask a diminutive GK like De Gea to charge into 6ft players unless he's absolutely sure he's gonna collect or punch that ball. If I know he's good at shot stopping, I would train positioning and movement. As I said, to a non GK this may sound crazy but it's the reason why it's a specialized position on the pitch. All goalkeepers aren't the same and maybe in training, the team has also decided that De Gea is better suited stopping the shot after the corner.
Even having said that, he must absolutely come for anything in his six yard box, that's his area to command. Don't care how big or small a GK is, that should be his all day, every day.

Unfortunately, that's what you get with a coward as a GK, he's never been good at that so, imo, it's time to move on, he's just not a good enough all-round 'keeper for a top, top team.

MikeeMike

I've been asking the same over and over. How is this not a red? How can VAR not go back and look at this and give a red? It was blatant and intentional.
Agree was a red but , Ref influenced by multiple roll from Greenwood .
Sorry but when a player rolls over and over on ground , referees see this as simulation.
Not saying anything but a red card as it was a shocker of a tackle.

Shimo

After the preemptive thread from earlier, didn't expect this melt down from folks. Southampton played decent, kept going because they had nothing to lose, we had some chances to put the game to bed that didn't work out this time. Pogba and Bruno were well off their games.

We go again on Thursday, hope Shaw is okay to play, Williams with a concussion won't be available.

m1tch

Not a good game for us tonight, a number of players had an off night, decisions and luck didn't go our way, but we also missed chances and had no control of the game.

Hopefully the dropped points will give the team a kick and they'll be back on it for the remaining games.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Le Tissier thinks it's not a red because there was no intent, ridiculous. Dangerous play has nothing to do with intent, even though I will still argue there was an element of intent because the ball was gone and Romeu didn't need to plant his foot in. That was a very easy red. It wd be unfair to see a brilliant youngster's career ruined by a reckless tackle.

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Not the best game from us tonight and yet we still could have scored 4 or 5. Don't know how VAR didn't give Romero a red card, truly shocking challenge which Mason is lucky. Absolutely devestated to give one away at the last minute, players looked leggy toward the end and going down to ten men instantly put nerves in me!

Still think we will get third, Southampton were the best team we had to play so if we win the rest, won't be the worst result given the circumstances at the end.

My god some of you lot, you'd think we got battered :lol:

WyoManU

Agree was a red but , Ref influenced by multiple roll from Greenwood .
Sorry but when a player rolls over and over on ground , referees see this as simulation.
Not saying anything but a red card as it was a shocker of a tackle.
Huh? The entire game of football worldwide has people diving and simulating every single match for decades on end. Do you know how bad that hurt when it landed on his standing ankle? Do you have any idea what pain or injury is at all sitting in a cubicle all day? WTF? That could've been a serious injury and it was intentional. The ref may have missed it but how is it different than an offside the red missed that gets brought back? That is a red card every day forever. What a joke.

Houdini

I just hope we can cope with the injuries in the last 3 games. We looked tired. I am a bit worried but we need to fight till the last whistle of the last game!

OhGee

Man Utd have every reason to feel robbed and doubly aggrieved. First, VAR missed a glaringly obvious red card on Romeu. What happened with refs viewing incidents on the touchline monitor? Then the ref strangely played on beyond the 5 minutes added time, turned the match into sudden death, and Southampton took advantage. To his credit, Ole didn't want to blame officials for the draw.
In all fairness, the injury to Williams/Walker-Peters happened in the last few minutes and treatment went beyond the 90 minute mark. Just before the incident, 5 minutes of extra time was to have been played, so if you account for the additional time due to the injury then the time beyond 95 minutes was fully justified.

sport2793

Not gonna lie, I feel devastated right now about the result (watched the whole match) even though we didn't lose. Hope the lads use it as motivation for the remaining matches.

ExoduS

Here is what's worrying about today's game:
- We had less possession
- We had equal number of shots as them
- We had less corners
- We played at home

Our midfield still has some major weaknesses. We didn't control the game and majority of the game we played like we are playing on paper a better team. That is really concerning.

OhGee

We look very comfortable with our first 11. The problem lies with the bench - it’s a decent bench but we do not have anyone decent to come in and change the game if the front 5 are having a bad game.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Not the best game from us tonight and yet we still could have scored 4 or 5. Don't know how VAR didn't give Romero a red card, truly shocking challenge which Mason is lucky. Absolutely devestated to give one away at the last minute, players looked leggy toward the end and going down to ten men instantly put nerves in me!

Still think we will get third, Southampton were the best team we had to play so if we win the rest, won't be the worst result given the circumstances at the end.

My god some of you lot, you'd think we got battered :lol:

Not the end of our Top 3 or 4 hopes, but worrying if we get outplayed by Southampton. Frankly we've yet to show we can control a game against a decent high-pressing side. Can only hope Ole can remedy this perennial weakness of ours.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Oh No one game didn't go our way! Let's go panic mode again.

FFS we've been good and good to watch for a while now - do people realise that not every single game goes the way you want it to?

Devil77

Said it many times. He needs replacing. Someone better needs to partner Maguire. Someone who is good in the air and has a more physical and athletic precense.

Lindelof is fine as a squad player. Not as an automatic choice in the first eleven. I would give Bailly a run.
The same Bailly who gave away the most stupid penalty/goal his last game?

TrustInOle

Not the end of our Top 3 or 4 hopes, but worrying if we get outplayed by Southampton. Frankly we've yet to show we can control a game against a decent high-pressing side. Can only hope Ole can remedy this perennial weakness of ours.
Hardly got outplayed? First 15 we were stung by them having 6 players withing 10 yards of Pogba and other than the crazy last 10mins we were in control?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Okay result. Missed chances cost us. They pressed well. Should have avoided that siege at the end. Left back worries now. And yes leg break attempt was a clear red card - feck Ref & the VAR he sailed in. But hey we still get third if we stay cool. Felt a bit of fear from them tonight - in that sense a win would have done wonders ... still ...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I hate conceding from a corner... If they had scored a normal last minute goal I think I'd be less pissed off... But from a corner? We should be dealing with that.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Disappointing.
Nó sugar coating it, that was a bad result.
That said I don't get all the pessimism on here. The league is long over, Liverpool won. They have had it won for sometime. We never looked like challenging.
Finishing 3rd, 4th or 5th doesn't do it for me.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Disappointed. We play cowardly and bottle it. We have no one to blame but ourself. Pathetic performance.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am sick and tired of Pogba losing the ball and giving goal-scoring opportunities to the opposition, multiple times a game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Disappointed. We play cowardly and bottle it. We have no one to blame but ourself. Pathetic performance.
We played cowardly? :lol:

We were trying to finish the game off when Bruno was still on the pitch. We just have to sub him off because him & Pogba were tired.

Southampton is one of the best team in pressing in the league and if you expect Pereira & Mata subs will be able to maintain possession against Southampton, you might want to re-evaluate it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absolutely gutted about the result. I knew it would be a difficult game but I was confident at half-time.

Going into self imposed exile until Thursday. Really cba with football until then. Really no point in discussion as we’ve still 3 fixtures left.

Robaldo

Disappointing.
Nó sugar coating it, that was a bad result.
That said I don't get all the pessimism on here. The league is long over, Liverpool won. They have had it won for sometime. We never looked like challenging.
Finishing 3rd, 4th or 5th doesn't do it for me.
So we should only bother in a match if it impacts our ability to come top? What a bizarre post

On a side note, not the first time we’ve lost points this season having made defensive suns this season; our sub options offer very little whatsoever aside from McTominay and maybe Ighalo and Dan James shouldn’t be near the squad.

Lindelof was also one of our better players tonight so not sure why he’d get any stick?

DiMaria

No it won't, we will drop points in our next game and that'll be that.
you really think leicester will get something over at Spurs? It’s going down to the last game and most likely a draw will be sufficient (but if we have learned anything by now we should go for the win because if we play for a draw we will lose)

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Hardly got outplayed? First 15 we were stung by them having 6 players withing 10 yards of Pogba and other than the crazy last 10mins we were in control?
I'll have to watch it again (ugh) but I don't think we were really in control. In any case the weakness was already evident in the Aston Villa game when we looked very vulnerable when they initially pressed us hard. It's still too easy to disrupt our rhythm.

MikeeMike

Huh? The entire game of football worldwide has people diving and simulating every single match for decades on end. Do you know how bad that hurt when it landed on his standing ankle? Do you have any idea what pain or injury is at all sitting in a cubicle all day? WTF? That could've been a serious injury and it was intentional. The ref may have missed it but how is it different than an offside the red missed that gets brought back? That is a red card every day forever. What a joke.
I said i thought it was 100% Red. No idea why it wasnt given. I was just pointing out that when player rolls over multiple times, refs are biased by seeing that.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Southampton