PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Sunderland

Post-match discussion

Mon, 26 December 2016

Brightonian

You could also argue that the lower teams are weaker this year,with less upsets.
Definitely more of a feel of 'big teams and small teams' than there has been since the disintegration of the 'big four'. You feel confident that the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool et al will consistently win against teams like Palace, Stoke, West Ham and West Brom, which hasn't been the case for years now.

It's almost as if the recent period of increased competitiveness in the league peaked with Leicester's PL win (although I doubt it - the money continues to bring big players to bottom-half clubs, so this is more likely a blip than a reversal of the trend.) Also this time we're looking at a top six, rather than a top four.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Watching the game and now this morning watching the highlights, I'm falling back in love with this squad.

Now don't get me wrong even during Moyes and LvG I loved the club, the boys but watching them play as they did yesterday (and I know it's only Sunderland at home, but has not exactly been a gimme over the last few years) was a bloody joy!

The pressing, passing and most of all movement. Watching Herrera buzz around and always offering an option, neat passing and keeping everything moving alongside the imperious and evergreen Carrick.

Now add into the mix Mata, who I think is a phenomenal footballer, smart, inventive and comes inside and works so well with Carrick, Herrera and the front line, quick one twos, excellent combinations meaning we look sharp.

At Fullback I love Daley Blind, maybe not an athlete but smart, great technique and when going forward can contribute unlike Darmian. Valencia is a personal favourite of mine, works so hard, so fast, determined and is just a Manchester United player if you get me.

Pogba is starting to look like the boy, every week is dominating, assists, chances, exciting play and love watching him perform.

Ibra is well, a freak of an athlete, Cantona esque ability to raise those around him. Great player and a great seeing him in his pomp, firing in goals and being awesome.

Apologies for the love in but I had to convey how nice it is to see a group of players becoming a team. I feel it's down to Mourinho and cannot wait for the next game.

GGMU

Reactions: Sultan

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Good to win, good to see Mkhi back and scoring.
Not good to concede to that lot.
Not good to only score three.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
4 PL wins in a row, 11 games undefeated in all comps, two months since our last pl loss (chelsea).

LVG december – 2 points

Jose December – 13 points.
Maybe for a fair comparison look at league position of teams played during that period?
I do remember.
During that disastrous December, we played and lost to the mighty Bournemouth and the now relegated, Norwich!
It just makes LVG's December look even worse.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I do remember.
During that disastrous December, we played and lost to the mighty Bournemouth and the now relegated, Norwich!
Agreed. It is indeed a simplistic comparison, but so far December 2016 vs December 2015 has been better in every possible way. We have to take satisfaction from that.

Raw

I do remember.
I got curious so I did a comparison of results with the places they were at before we faced them:

15/16
West Ham (8th) H - 0-0
Wolfsburg (1st in the group) A - 2-3
Bournemouth (17th) A - 1-2
Norwich (18th) H - 1-2
Stoke (11th) A - 0-2
Chelsea (15th) H - 0-0

Goals scored: 4
Goals conceded: 9
Avg league place: 13.8

16/17
Everton (7th) A - 1-1
Zorya (4th in the group) A - 2-0
Spurs (5th) H - 1-0
Palace (15th) A - 2-1
West Brom (7th) A - 2-0
Sunderland (18th) H - 3-1
Middlesbrough (15th) H - tbd

Goals scored: 11
Goals conceded: 3
Avg league place: 11.2

attack attack

Another muppet
I got curious so I did a comparison of results with the places they were at before we faced them:

15/16
West Ham (8th) H - 0-0
Wolfsburg (1st in the group) A - 2-3
Bournemouth (17th) A - 1-2
Norwich (18th) H - 1-2
Stoke (11th) A - 0-2
Chelsea (15th) H - 0-0

Goals scored: 4
Goals conceded: 9
Avg league place: 13.8

16/17
Everton (7th) A - 1-1
Zorya (4th in the group) A - 2-0
Spurs (5th) H - 1-0
Palace (15th) A - 2-1
West Brom (7th) A - 2-0
Sunderland (18th) H - 3-1
Middlesbrough (15th) H - tbd

Goals scored: 11
Goals conceded: 3
Avg league place: 11.2
Nice one, so we can conclude for sure that Jose had a much better month than LVGs terrible Dec.

Lets just hope we can keep the same run going for Jan.

marlowe78

Thought the performance was fine and the score was about what you could expect. Moyes was probably planning for this day since first hired to the Sunderland job...and he still failed.

The first 30 or so minutes were a lot edgier than I thought it would be, with Sunderland getting spells of possession and De Gea being called into action a couple of times. Going forward I thought we were disappointing until Blind scored, which calmed things quite a bit. Until that moment, our passing was on the poor side and our focus on the central area was going nowhere with Sunderland blocking it up. Carrick I thought had his worst passing game in quite some time and has looked recently like he's in a contest with Valencia to hit the opposition's shins. Lingard was also wasteful and Mata, outside of that penalty shout, did hardly anything.

The Blind goal was nice, you could feel something was up when Rojo made the run forward and our defenders started to overload the box. Nice layoff by Zlatan on that one to set Blind up. That was in our best spell of the first half and when we did get into advanced positions we looked very dangerous.

Second half was nice, especially when we put Martial and Mkhitarian on. Pogba worked his tail off the entire game and was my MOTM, well-earned assist to Zlatan for the second goal. Mkhitarian's goal was clearly off but I'm kind of glad that the officials missed it because it would've been brutal not to allow a goal so brilliantly played.

Disappointing that we couldn't keep the clean sheet. Borini took the kick well but I'm not sure why Carrick and the defender standing next to him (Rojo I think?) didn't make any real attempt to shut him down. De Gea had absolutely no chance at it.

Some random thoughts that stood out to me from the game. First point, we need to end this baloney with Mata on the wing. I would rather have Martial on the left to get him into form and Mkhitarian is the obvious starter on the right. I would use Lingard as Mkhiatarian's backup just for the speed and defending that he offers. Mata at this point is a luxury player who is looking more and more overpaid, even if he is technically exceptional.

Second point, we need to sign a fullback in the January window because Blind showed today against Anichebe the risk we take by fielding him against powerful players. Blind did a good job of making adjustments against him but early on he looked ready to be skinned any minute. He would've been toast against a better attacker. Obviously, he is very good going forward, as the goal showed.

Third point, feck Moyes. Fourth point, feck Moyes.

On my 10 meter, I'll give yesterday a 6. An expected win against a team that looks a good bet to go down. 3 points and we move on.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 555 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 3:0 Sunderland