PL W FA Premier League

Sunderland 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 09 April 2017

manc-in-exile

I was listening to the Sky Sports Sunday Supplement podcast earlier and I heard John "Crossy" Cross from the Mirror actually say that Moyes had come in to a similar situation at Sunderland as he had at United.

I laughed out loud on a packed commuter train!

Amazing comment. Shows how much the media loves this guy.

rpg

In what sense? He didnt have a very good game and lacked focus, especially the last 15 mins were shocking
One world class goal and one assist. He showed good awareness to flick and pass to Rashford and others a couple of times.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
One world class goal and one assist. He showed good awareness to flick and pass to Rashford and others a couple of times.
His general play was rather frustrating, he missed several easy passes in the last third, especially those to Rashford, while most of his flicks didnt find his man. He had an ok'ish game

marlowe78

Happy with the result. The overall performance, however, I thought was largely crap.

Sunderland set up in a 433, absolute suicide for a relegation team, and were leaving space everywhere. Yet we were struggling to create anything simply because we don't move enough. We were not getting into good positions in the box and hardly tested Pickford at all. While we were the better team for the most part, it took a moment of brilliance from Ibra to get the first goal, which was created out of absolutely nothing. Until then, Lingard, who is limited but actually moves while other players on the team don't, recorded (I believe) our only shots on target before Ibra scored.

The red card and Mkhitaryan's goal that started the 2nd half pretty much killed off the game. We were comfortable but I hoped that we could take advantage of things and run up a few more goals. I think our play forward, I must say, was atrocious. Our decision making and passing on the break was sloppy and I lost track of how many times the play broke down because we overhit the pass or passed to the wrong man.

Individually, I thought Herrera was our best player. I liked how he kept getting stuck in and breaking up Sunderland's plays through the midfield. I'm getting a headache watching Fellaini trying to play like Schweinsteiger, he was trying to keep play ticking along while he doesn't have the agility or ball-playing skills to do this. He didn't do all that badly considering, but it was a stupid decision to leave our MF short after the transfer window and have Fellaini in this kind of role.

I think Shaw was the biggest bright spot. Not brilliant but I thought he showed good pace and some good runs to the line. Like the exchange he had with Jose after coming off. Rashford also put in a good performance, delighted that he scored the goal. Romero continues to be an excellent backup.

Also glad I watched this as a reminder of how spineless a man Moyes is. Looked petrified from when he first sat on the bench and also did nothing to pull Larsson away from the 4th official and protect him from a further ban, just stood there. Well done. All of his teams are defined by lack of leadership, lack of discipline, and failure. Fortunately, Moyes/SAFC are about to sink out of PL sight, hopefully for good.

As for us, I give an admittedly tough 5 out of 10.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
His general play was rather frustrating, he missed several easy passes in the last third, especially those to Rashford, while most of his flicks didnt find his man. He had an ok'ish game
I agree. I thought he was sloppy. It's been a hallmark of his United career so far. Sloppy general play punctuated by crucial goals.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 441 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Sunderland 0:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Sunderland 0:3 Man Utd