PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2017

tony54

I've just watched the first goal replay. What a cracking, powerful header by Pogba but what
really impressed me is the speed of Bailly off the mark. It's this rapid acceleration that helps to make him the top class defender that he is. He's a monster and surely world class.

Kidders

I've just watched the first goal replay. What a cracking, powerful header by Pogba but what
really impressed me is the speed of Bailly off the mark. It's this rapid acceleration that helps to make him the top class defender that he is. He's a monster and surely world class.
Watch the whole game and pick out some of his headers, and covering tackles, he looks the part.

POF

Watch the whole game and pick out some of his headers, and covering tackles, he looks the part.
But, maybe start about 5 minutes in so you miss the howler that let Ayew through to hit the bar. Bailly is a very talented defender and he seems to have worked on his aggression in the air in pre season, but he is still young and impetuous and will make mistakes.

I thought both Jones and Bailly were very good in the game but this was probably the most impotent attack United will face in the league all season. Llorente and Sigurdsson were huge losses and Swansea will need to add some attacking options or they will be in big trouble. Abraham and Jordan Ayew are not top quality.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Need width going forward. Will be very difficult breaking open quality defenses if we keep going through the center all the time. Rashford and Martial along with Valencia and Blind/whoever need to run into wide spaces to open up defenses.

We have been pretty lucky. The Swansea attack where the ball hit the bar could've been a goal in other seasons and then they would've parked the bus and made it impossible for us to penetrate through the middle.

We would have then resorted to long balls and low-quality crosses from the sides. Could've been a pretty frustrating game.

Yes, we got the goals when they came out to attack but I wish we go behind against Leicester just to see how our team reacts. Would be better to find our weaknesses and sort theM before going head on with the real competition.

Although another 4-0 would also be great.

Long ways to go before challeging top sides in CL.

Martial is the smoothest player since Henry. Great talent. Mourinho needs to nurture him with care.

POF

It has been such an enyoyable start to the season. Two real feel good performances. 6 points, 8 goals, you can't ask for better than that.

I thought Pogba was excellent. The less he tries to do the better he is. Lukaku and Martial's chance conversion is fantastic. That sort of finishing turns tight games into easy wins. 4 assists in 2 games is fantastic from Mkhitaryan and Martial has 2 goals in about 30 minutes of football.

The concern of breaking down a packed defence is still there but the team is now devastating on the counter attack and set pieces are getting much better. They still live dangerously defending set pieces and could really do with one of the centre backs being better in the air. But, all of that is nit picking. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

minoo-utd

Need width going forward. Will be very difficult breaking open quality defenses if we keep going through the center all the time. Rashford and Martial along with Valencia and Blind/whoever need to run into wide spaces to open up defenses.

We have been pretty lucky. The Swansea attack where the ball hit the bar could've been a goal in other seasons and then they would've parked the bus and made it impossible for us to penetrate through the middle.

We would have then resorted to long balls and low-quality crosses from the sides. Could've been a pretty frustrating game.

Yes, we got the goals when they came out to attack but I wish we go behind against Leicester just to see how our team reacts. Would be better to find our weaknesses and sort theM before going head on with the real competition.

Martial is the smoothest player since Henry. Great talent. Mourinho needs to nurture him with care.
Spot on.

RedFish

I had him MoM.

Fracture90

Was watching that post match commentary yesterday, and Henry is one classy guy. Always spot on, very realistic and composed, and most importantly fair in his praise and criticism. He isn't bashing and above praising UTD just because he played for our great rivals.

Joy to listen to his post game analysis.

Pavl3n

We didn't create much from our build up play, did we? The chances that came in front of Lukaku and Rashford were after their mistakes and both the times we shook the bar was after set pieces - which is great, we couldn't even connect with a cross last season. The three goals came after they opened up and went for a goal.
Both Swansea and West Ham were quite poor in executing their own tactics and it was quite easy to punish them for their own mistakes.
I am really happy with the score, but I won't get carried away. Our worth going forward will be shown when we face teams like Tottenham, Chelsea even WBA if you wish. Teams that are very sound defensively and hard to break down. But for now I am really happy for being able to kill off games and improve the goal tally. Something we didn't last season.

RedStarUnited

We look fit with high confidence levels. As a La Liga watcher, I know how many goals Messi and Ronaldo rack up when teams are tired. Look at Messis goal per minute record below to see how much he punishes tired teams.

ForlansHair

Llorente wouldn't have made much difference for Swansea yesterday. That Swansea side was the most defensive (and one of the most well drilled) we will come up against all season, for 70 minutes it was 21 men in the Swansea half of the pitch.

The encouraging thing is we found a way through, and when Clement brought one of his 5 defender's off for a forward, we utterly killed them. It wasn't Swansea giving up or falling apart, they were just scared for most of the game to give us any room whatsoever in the middle of the pitch to turn defence into attack as they know what we will do to them.

We still lack a bit of magic in the final third but it's encouraging that when teams have a go we are putting them to the sword on the break. We'll be dictacting a lot of games this season with more and more teams scared to come out so we need to find ways to break them down. We did that today using the teams power on set pieces but that won't always be the case.

wolvored

Funny how rivals are saying they have played two worst teams. Only if we have been beating these so called worst teams in last 3 seasons we would be in top 3 and even challenging for the title. If we keep on beating the so called worst teams then we will be challenging for the title come april or even winning it come.may.
This.
We can only beat whats in front of us, and if we can keep beating the easier teams by a big goal margin, then the fear factor comes back as well. There will also be some trepidation by the big 6 as well.

wolvored

Llorente wouldn't have made much difference for Swansea yesterday. That Swansea side was the most defensive (and one of the most well drilled) we will come up against all season, for 70 minutes it was 21 men in the Swansea half of the pitch.

The encouraging thing is we found a way through, and when Clement brought one of his 5 defender's off for a forward, we utterly killed them. It wasn't Swansea giving up or falling apart, they were just scared for most of the game to give us any room whatsoever in the middle of the pitch to turn defence into attack as they know what we will do to them.

We still lack a bit of magic in the final third but it's encouraging that when teams have a go we are putting them to the sword on the break. We'll be dictacting a lot of games this season with more and more teams scared to come out so we need to find ways to break them down. We did that today using the teams power on set pieces but that won't always be the case.
I think it also showed yesterday that a proper winger would have had a field day as most of the play was in the middle. Even if we had have had Martial on instead of Rashford from the start, I think we wouldnt have had to wait until 80 mins for our second goal.

carlosp

I read somewhere after the West Ham game that Manchester United had gone 30 games without a lose. Somethlike 21 wins and 9 draws. So now after the Swansea game it's 31 games.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I read somewhere after the West Ham game that Manchester United had gone 30 games without a lose. Somethlike 21 wins and 9 draws. So now after the Swansea game it's 31 games.
That's news to me. Can anyone else confirm this?

Pretty sure our unbeaten run ended after the loss to Spurs, could be wrong of course.

ForlansHair

I think it also showed yesterday that a proper winger would have had a field day as most of the play was in the middle. Even if we had have had Martial on instead of Rashford from the start, I think we wouldnt have had to wait until 80 mins for our second goal.
I agree we are missing someone who hugs the touch line and it's quite obvious as to why Mourinho would want someone like this. The closest we have to someone like this in the squad is probably Ashley Young, but he's probably not up to the required standard.

Conversely, games like today and West Ham show why I think he favours Mata from the start. Mata requires a lot less space to operate in than all our other forward options and does not need much space in behind. Mata wasn't great yesterday but in the opening half hour against West Ham last week, it was often him who would be found in space in the West Ham box (what little they gave us).

Mourinho's management has been superb. He realises West Ham/Swansea have tried to go for it later on in games, so he brings Mata off in both games (both times for Fellaini), sits Matic and Fellaini, pushes Pogba up and now the trap has been set with Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Martial and Lukaku ready to spring on the opposition whenever they over commit.

carlosp

That's news to me. Can anyone else confirm this?

Pretty sure our unbeaten run ended after the loss to Spurs, could be wrong of course.
Hmm. You might be right. I had been wondering why people weren't making more noise about it if it was true.

It might be games at Old Trafford. Will check with Wiki.

Last edited:

carlosp

Well had a look and it has been 18 games at Old Trafford without a lose up to West Ham last week.

Arsenal and Spurs both beat us away at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well had a look and it be 18 games at Old Trafford without a lose up to West Ham last week.

Arsenal and Spurs both beat us away at the end of the season.
A positive statistic either way. Maintaining it throughout the season is not beyond the realms of possibility considering Jose is at the helm, his teams are generally excellent at home.

Fully Fledged

Something like?

I know I'm awful with predictive text and typos. If you look for mine you will find them but then I only ever correct somebody else when they correct somebody else.

I just find it funny. Especially when your typo is 2 posts below you correcting @M4nu4Life.

Crashoutcassius

Need to keep working on getting the break through goal. We have improved in taking our chances and from pet pieces but there will be games where set pieces don't work and where lukaku will need 3 chances to score

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

We did this to West Ham, last week. They parked the bus all game and we hit them with a great counter. Eventually, they had to come at us and we annihilated them when the game broke open. We don't need width if our quality players turn up - we've got so much talent in the team which has failed time and time, again. Two games in, and they haven't disappointed.

carlosp

Something like?

I know I'm awful with predictive text and typos. If you look for mine you will find them but then I only ever correct somebody else when they correct somebody else.

I just find it funny. Especially when your typo is 2 posts below you correcting @M4nu4Life.
Typing on the phone so expected autocorrect to finish it. The amount of times I make a mistake this way is quite a lot since my fingers are big.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I know I will get slated for this, but what I thought we missed in the first half, against a fresh, packed 2 x 4 man wall, was the 'running without the ball,' in between the lines and the diagonal/weaving runs across the pitch of Jesse Lingard! (whoa wait let me get my 'tin hat on'... OK ready for incoming)

That's Jesse's USP, to disorientate, distract, deflect the opposition, so that other more skilled players 'on the ball' can take advantage, but Jose wasn't about to change a winning team and he knows best, we got there in the end when our reinforcements up front arrived in the shape of Martial and Fellaini. 'All's well that ends well' I suppose? :annoyed: ;)

dogwithabone

The 80 minute thing is not an issue. The possible issue - too early to call - is that we struggle to create chances until the opposition have nothing to lose and open up the game.

Ok. So what's wrong with that ? Sounds perfection to me.

Great European teams have done that for donkeys years away from home. Keep it tight, try and get ahead and then kill it when the home side get a bit desperate.

What do you want ? A basketball match ?

carlosp

I know I will get slated for this, but what I thought we missed in the first half, against a fresh, packed 2 x 4 man wall, was the 'running without the ball,' in between the lines and the diagonal/weaving runs across the pitch of Jesse Lingard! (whoa wait let me get my 'tin hat on'... OK ready for incoming)

That's Jesse's USP, to disorientate, distract, deflect the opposition, so that other more skilled players 'on the ball' can take advantage, but Jose wasn't about to change a winning team and he knows best, we got there in the end when our reinforcements up front arrived in the shape of Martial and Fellaini. 'All's well that ends well' I suppose? :annoyed: ;)
That is why Mourinho plays Rashford, to do a similar job on the opposition's defense. Having Rashford and Lukaku on with Mkhitaryan and Mata stretchers the opposition. You could have Jesse but Mkhitaryan is a better player.

Fully Fledged

Typing on the phone so expected autocorrect to finish it. The amount of times I make a mistake this way is quite a lot since my fingers are big.
Me too. Also I don't always wear glasses when typing on my phone so can't actually see what I typed until it's sent.
As I said above, if you look for my mistakes and they will be everywhere.

Alabaster Codify7

Extremely impressed. First half we were slow but once we found our rhythm we tanked them. Liking the look of this team, a lot. And four different goal-scorers, always good to see the whole team chipping in with goals instead of relying on one player.

A win next weekend and we'll be looking pretty formidable. We've sent a real message to the league already.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We did this to West Ham, last week. They parked the bus all game and we hit them with a great counter. Eventually, they had to come at us and we annihilated them when the game broke open. We don't need width if our quality players turn up - we've got so much talent in the team which has failed time and time, again. Two games in, and they haven't disappointed.
That all relys on scoring the first goal though, we were struggling to open them up at that point, I fear that if we go down 1-0 we will end up looking like what we did last year.

Obiorahking_

We look fit with high confidence levels. As a La Liga watcher, I know how many goals Messi and Ronaldo rack up when teams are tired. Look at Messis goal per minute record below to see how much he punishes tired teams.

Woah. Thanks for sharing this.

Shuriken

Goodies:
This is just the second time a team has won their opening two top-flight games of a season by 4+ goals to nil (also Chelsea in 2010/11).

Eric Bailly is just the third African player to score for Manchester United in the Premier League (also Quinton Fortune and Mame Biram Diouf).

Romelu Lukaku is the fifth player to net in his first two Premier League appearances for Manchester United (after Ibrahimovic, Martial, Macheda, Saha).

Paul Pogba has scored in three consecutive league appearances for only the second time in his career (also in January 2015 for Juventus).

Henrikh Mkhitaryan assisted just one Premier League goal in 24 appearances last season for Manchester United. He's assisted four times in his opening two PL apps of 2017-18.
My personal favourite:
Manchester United have scored 4+ goals in their opening two league games of a season for the first time in 110 years (1907/08).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That all relys on scoring the first goal though, we were struggling to open them up at that point, I fear that if we go down 1-0 we will end up looking like what we did last year.
We opened them up whilst they parked the bus. I guess time will tell. We seem to be better equipped to tackle those tactics, though.

TehRed

I like that we haven't tried to sit back and defend a 1-0 like we have over the last few years. 1-0 has become 2-0 and even then we have continued to press on and have scored more goals. We have remained in control rather than surrendering the ball. Our substitutions have not been overly defensive, they have in fact been a catalyst for scoring more goals.

Even though we didn't boss Swansea as much as we did West Ham, it was a very similar outcome. These were the types of games that we would have drawn in last season. We are now winning them, and by emphatic scorelines. I won't get carried away, but so far, so good. It was a key area to be improved upon and so far that's what we are achieving.

Amir

Ok. So what's wrong with that ? Sounds perfection to me.

Great European teams have done that for donkeys years away from home. Keep it tight, try and get ahead and then kill it when the home side get a bit desperate.

What do you want ? A basketball match ?
I want us to be able to create more than a chance and a half against a packed defence without needing a set piece or a counter attack.

PieCrust

I want us to be able to create more than a chance and a half against a packed defence without needing a set piece or a counter attack.
That's not always how football works. The other side is trying to win too btw.

Yesterday's match was pretty much a master class in how to get 3 points on the road.

Swansea had that early chance that hit the cross bar that wrong footed De Gea and Rashford bottled his clear on goal chance. But hey, that's football.

Oneunited26

I want to see martial, rashford, mkhi supporting lukaku, martial seems to have that hazard driving ability to cut sides apart with his dribbling pace effortless, especially Jose is letting the hunters off the lead this style of play Jose is doing evolving the sides football is what I really want to see. I hope we use more of the pitch used from our attacking players, so hopefully the one change from the last 2 wins is mata for martial, the shear power with valencia, matic, pogba, martial, rashford and lukaku could crush the bread and butter teams

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Swansea stifled us for a good while in that game. They played really deep and were very compact. They actually did very well defensively for the first 60 minutes.

I knew when Fellaini was coming on we were going route one and it worked perfectly and we scored the goals.

Other teams better than Swansea might cause us problems this season but if we can keep winning games like this on the road we'll definitely be title contenders next march / april.

I would have been happy with a scrappy 1-0 away win considering last season we would have probably drawn a game like this.

Great result though. We look very dangerous on the counter attack.

This team are young, not winning the league at some point would be an absolute waste for this group of players. Id like to think they'll win in Europe again at some point too.

As one of Joses biggest critics before he came I have to eat my hat. He is doing a fantastic job. We are looking dangerous again.
We didnt go route one.

Most of Fellainis touches were in our defensive third and were mostly 1- or 2 touch on the deck passing moments. His main contribution was disrupting Swanseas midfield and attack, he was forcing Swansea to go wide with his shape and positioning. Were our goals route one?. Fellainis job was to clearly sit in front of the defence which he mostly did. The person who then got forward a little more than he had before was Matic.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 39% of 1161 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 909 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw