g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Well you said "new players bedding in", and we have a total of 1 new outfield player. Maybe you meant "all players bedding in with completely new system that doesn't seem to suit anyone apart from maybe two players".

I admire your positive approach tbh.
Thanks Mr B, nice of you to say so. I enjoyed our little discussion.
I must say though that it’s easier for me, a none league supporter, to watch a massive club like Utd and appreciate that they’re going in the right direction than it is for dyed in the wool supporters like yourself.

I think I understand where you’re coming from though.
You’ve been frustrated by a number of false starts over a decade or more but IMO the club bringing in Ten Hag / Ten Hag agreeing to join the club, put down a marker that the club was committing to make the changes necessary to move up a level.

Since TH came in the he’s been whittling away at the dead wood, albeit slower than many would like. And new players are coming in, likewise slower than most are comfortable with.
But there was massive movement, a tectonic shift indeed, at the start of this season.
There’s been very little fanfare but Onana supplanting De Gea, was Utd crossing the Rubicon - and there’s no going back to the old ways now.
You now have a sweeper keeper, you’re playing high line possession football and playing out from the back. When I parrot on about bedding in it’s all the players, the club, the supporters, the reporters, everyone adapting to this new reality.

joedirt87

the tl;dr version is Spurs adapted to our press in the 2nd half, and that we are still shit at passing.

Ghirahim

The warning signs were there. Wolves should have won on August the 14th. Then Brighton spanked Wolves 4:1. So Brighton are playing better football than United.

dinostar77

the tl;dr version is Spurs adapted to our press in the 2nd half, and that we are still shit at passing.
Good watch, Spurs pushed their fullbacks out wider in 2nd half and we struggled with too much space to defend.

Basically, we arent very good at passing, we arent very good at pressing, we arent very good at attacking, we arent very good at defending, we arent very good at being consistant.

We are mediocre at everything. That sums it up.

dinostar77

The warning signs were there. Wolves should have won on August the 14th. Then Brighton spanked Wolves 4:1. So Brighton are playing better football than United.
Brighton would tear us to shreds right now.

redmanx

You and me both mate. I first started to support Manchester United just after Munich and despite living some way away, I have done ever since. Like you, I find performances like that incredibly frustrating. Not just because of how they lost, which was more of a capitulation, but the way they played.
These are some very good players who just lost their heads and their discipline. They ended up as a disorganised rabble.

And by the way, did you see how easily Brighton put 4 past Wolves away.
We have to break the bank and buy the best, most prolific striker we can and offer him whatever he wants. I read today that the Glazers have finally agreed to sell to Sheikh Jassim so hopefully ETH will soon get the money to buy who ever he wants. Im not saying money buys guaranteed success but the way things are going its guaranteed we'll be struggling this season without a top striker and fresh faces in midfield; I like Bruno but these days hes too inconsistent and Casmiro is looking slow and off the pace and we need somebody to inject some pace and aggression, something I hope Mount will do once hes settled in.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd