PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 January 2024

.Phil1968

Hung on to that record which I thought we were severely in danger of losing. Pretty poor performance pinging long balls and hoping for the best. Have to be better than this.

stu_1992

Poor performance and approach to the game, but having said that we could have won it at the end with McTominay. He has to head that down and get it on target.

Not the worst result but it's the manner of it that leaves a bit of a bitter taste.

A much improved performance of Rashford, another goal for Hojlund and the return of Martinez are the main positives to take away from that.

edgecutter

That was bad today. It also rubber stamps that our season is over, because we won't get Europe from the league and we won't get too far in the FA Cup.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That was bad today. It also rubber stamps that our season is over, because we won't get Europe from the league and we won't get too far in the FA Cup.
We’re sat nicely in a conference league position

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
No style and absolutely no control but christ the home support is so poor as well
First time at Old Trafford for me. No support, no chants, pretty poor atmosphere. Never you could imagine 80k people there.
and the speaker doesn’t stop saying « the best team in the world »
Sad times for you guys

Eurotrash

Overall I am slightly encouranged. I thought it would be worse.

Great game from Höjlund. Manioo looks nailed on to be a regular starter.

Rashford needs to produce much more on the chances he is given.

Glad Martinez is back, but wish we could have put him on an HT. Dont think they would have scored the 2-2 then. That goal was way too easy. Evans can do a job if called upon for one half, but that is about it.

Garnacho should have got a pen, can’t see it any other way.

Al-T

Another disappointing watch but completely inured to those now.

Fortnight off before FA Cup game so that's a positive.

siw2007

2-2 draw is a poor result, we need to win our home games. However, the performance was alright and a draw was probably a fair result. Spurs were brilliant in possession at times and we found it really difficult to defend and get a foothold at times. But we did manage to transition up the pitch well at times and create loads of chances, a few we wasted and maybe we could have pinched a third. Hojlund was my MOTM, brought others into the game well, bagged a great goal and assist.

Winter break now and hopefully we can name a starting 11 with Martinez, Casemiro and Shaw afterwards. If there is one thing I think we really need to fix is the leaky defence. We have shipped 6 goals in last 3 games, it’s too many.

The Irish Connection

Garnacho and Mainoo have improved us slightly in recent weeks.

Good that Hojlund and Rashford scored and Martinez back on the pitch.

Good to see Ratcliffe there.

But to be dominated at home by a weakened Spurs is poor.

Casemiro should have come on instead of Mctominay.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I’d love to see the stats on how many times we concede 2 or more goals in the last ten years in games where we concede. Feels like we either let in 0 goals or 2 plus

Redfrog

Meh. I am bored watching us this season.

Getting owned by Spurs at home has become pretty normal this days.

BorisManUtd

Hung on to that record which I thought we were severely in danger of losing. Pretty poor performance pinging long balls and hoping for the best. Have to be better than this.
The moment Spurs equalized to make it 2-2 I thought of this and was convinced record would end today with how open we looked so it's a solid result in the end.

Think this xG result is how I feel about the game as well. Not that we didn't deserve the draw but Spurs were still better (more posession, more shots on target, etc). We're in problem because we struggle and can't control games and unless Martinez, Casemiro and Mount changes that, it'll be a really poor season in the end.

Superunknown

This really is arguably the worst United team in 40 years IMO
Question marks over whether this squad is worse than others. But, have to agree that the performances are the worst in that time. The level of our performances is very poor. It's actually hard to name the few times we have turned up this season.

Superden

We were bossed in midfield, and we did nothing to change it tactically. Pretty much as per every other league game this season. People can say what they want about the players but they are utterly hamstrung by such poor management...

NICanRed

Thought we were in with a chance when I saw Werner on their team-sheet. He makes Nunez look good!
Happy for Hojlund. Dalot worked hard. Happy to see Licha back.
Can't we pass out from the back to someone in a red shirt? I know we were once linked with Trippier - we could have gone for Ward-Prowse but I would really like to have signed Pedro Porro. He can drop the ball on a six-pence (if you remember what that was!)

Okey

We're just rubbish as a team these days. The fundamentals are so poor it's alarming. That second goal...criminal. One of the worst goals to watch a Premier league team concede. Just handed to them on a platter. We don't look like we can beat any decent team. Top 4 is out the question. I wonder who the next coach will be.

MrBest

To be honest, much better than I expected. First was was okay, second half was bad. We didn't fold after the 2 spurs goal. This literally show that I've dropped any expectations. I genuinely expect to lose every game these days. Happy for Hojlund, goals will come slowly.

Okey

I can't understand why AWB played on the left. Even Varane, based on the manager's previous comments. Everything just looks incoherent. Sigh...

Gordon S

The players used doesn`t seem to change a thing either.
We played with a largely injury free squad at the start, against Wolves iirc. Woeful. Play with Varane at the back, woeful, Maguire at the back, woeful, Casemiro in midfield, woeful, no Casemiro in midfield, still woeful, with Eriksen, woeful, without Eriksen, woeful. With Rashford, woeful, without Rashford woeful. With Antony, woeful, without Antony, you guessed it, woeful.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That's a 4-2 loss for us with Maddison and Son on the pitch. Just fecking brutal to watch from us as usual. We are good at pressing but that's it.
Add bissouma and we could have lost 1-4 or 0-4. We are a poorly coached team.

JediSith

My dad has watched us through the good times and bad times, he's said we've always been an exciting team to watch even when we lost.

Worse thing you can say about a United team is it's boring. And this United side are boring.
Agreed. I watched the Newcastle vs City match yesterday it was such an entertaining match. Watching United is becoming more of a chore.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’re just shite aren’t we. I haven’t seen us play well once this season.

RedIan

No style and absolutely no control but christ the home support is so poor as well
The fans in the stadium are totally depressed, paying a fortune to watch us out played at home time and again. Cant blame them.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Very poor performance. Spurs looked way more cohesive than us despite missing 4 or 5 starters.
Why are we so poor at corners?
Didn't rate Rashford either despite his goal, he takes too much out of the ball imo.
Pleased for Rasmus & good to see Licha back. But that's about it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Put MUTV on for a little while, they thought it was a great game, positive, positive, positive. There were positives, but still too many negatives.

Woziak

Put MUTV on for a little while, they thought it was a great game, positive, positive, positive. There were positives, but still too many negatives.
I don’t think Sir Jim will see it that way, fair play he turned up huge respect as I called him out earlier so I take that L, however since they have taken over.

ETH record under INEOS since announcement is much of the same ;
P4 W2 D1 L1 GS7 GA6
He needs a run of 4 or 5 wins just to breathe right now and he’s running out of excuses, one game per week and the squad injuries are improving however Sor Alex obviously rates him which will buy him a little time!

Like Roy Keane says United are a hard watch today, lacking quality and the manager still doesn’t know his best team!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don’t think Sir Jim will see it that way, fair play he turned up huge respect as I called him out earlier so I take that L, however since they have taken over.

ETH record under INEOS since announcement is much of the same ;
P4 W2 D1 L1 GS7 GA6
He needs a run of 4 or 5 wins just to breathe right now and he’s running out of excuses, one game per week and the squad injuries are improving however Sor Alex obviously rates him which will buy him a little time!

Like Roy Keane says United are a hard watch today, lacking quality and the manager still doesn’t know his best team!
Think it is the way we play that people are finding hard to take.

DSG

It’s the way we concede that is the most troubling. Despite 6 months of working with this team, we are still objectively awful in set piece defending. One goal, one cleared off the line and another hitting the crossbar.

Transition defending has been an issue all season, and it happens again at the beginning of the half. Lack of concentration an issue, and it happens again.

On the other hand, our poor set piece delivery is a problem, as it has been all season.

I hate to say this, but these are all basic coaching issues. ETH is still sack for me, he’s been awful this season, no two ways about it.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 9% Man Utd 2:0 Tottenham