CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Love a late winner. Old Trafford absolutely rocking at full time.

First half was very poor. Credit to Emery for exposing our right back issue. Everything good that happened came from their exposure of Dalot's bad positioning and defensive instincts, and we could have been in real trouble at half time. Pau Torres was outstanding.

Second half much better. We adjusted and largely stopped the danger, but we couldn't get a lot going against a team that defend very well and hardly ever lose. The subs changed the game, so perhaps a little bit of credit there eh?

Listen, we're not in the best moment right now but this happens. It happened quite a bit under Ferguson too, and a night like tonight can often be a turning point. It's clear that the team are together. How about people try to get behind the team and be the supporters that this club deserves. Scanning this thread it seems like some are genuinely disappointed that we won. If that's you, have a word with yourself.

CloneMC16

All I can say is, we're lucky that De Gea decided to play well again this season. Without his saves, we would be in serious trouble. Fair play to him for getting back into form. Easily MoTM.

I'm happy we won, but that win papers over the cracks. The first half was atrocious. The second half also was until they scored. I'm tired of us being shit until we go behind. I don't understand why this continues to happen. It did help that we had an actual midfield when Ole subbed on Matic. We looked as wide open as the Wolves game before they scored and we made subs. All of the subs came on and played well. Fair play.

steffyr2

What a collection of Debbie Downers!
Comments --
The warm up kit looks like grandma's chaise lounge.
You can see they're actually working on things -- there was a free kick(I think) where they had a plan. It didn't work but it was actually and obviously a set play. Also they were attempting to cross the ball -- usually to Ronaldo and usually way short and to a defender -- but they were trying.
The Utd defense was scary in the 1st half.
The team was less hysterical all game long.
I never saw Pogba till he was walking off the field at the end.
Who was captain today?

Will Singh

The determination to press and attack has won us the game. Didn’t play the best but we wanted it more and with this mind set there’s no stopping us. De Gea was on fire and because of him we’ve got 3 points. I though Sancho did well and slowly showing us why we bought him he’s still very young and new league so we have to be patient. Ole celebrating Ronnies goal was emotional and let’s hope we kick on from here….

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Very poor performance. Could easily have been three or four down by half time.

This has to be the end of the Pogba experiment. Terrible tonight. Taking him off changed the game.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Massively undeserved but I'll take it you feckin beauties

Lingard should be starting games
I don't think so. He's better off as an impact sub, using his work rate and energy harrying defenders when they're tired. Did very well for Ronaldo's goal.

OmarUnited4ever

We can't carry that many defensive passengers, game should have been over by 30 mins. Defenders get so much criticism but with that level of cover they have no chance.

Can't wait for Rashford to come back, and the way it is going Lingard may have to start.
This is so true!!!!!

I know Dalot is weak defensively but he didn't get any support, isolated 1v1 against a pacy attacker. We must press and defend as a unit ..

Real Name

I think Sancho was pretty decent, was active the whole game, pressed, try to take on players, ran, all in all showed glimpses of what he's capable of.

OLLY ORANGE

Awful performance, awful tactics by the manager in play.
Degea man of the match and looks back to his best.
Play Sancho in the position he played for Dortmund.
Cavani brings an energy and desire that rubs off on others.
Ronaldo looked out of it, needs to be told to stay up front and not to keep coming deep.
Still not convinced Ole gets us out of the group stages.
Big result

ClassOf'99

Did Ole accidentally stumble upon our best set-up?

Ronaldo - Cavani - Lingard
Bruno
Matic - Scott
Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB
De Gea

*Lingard can be used as an impact sub or rotated with Greenwood/Sancho
*Pogba a sub too as that performance was a revert to old for him

Dalot should never play for United again after that

I know Matic doesn't have the legs for week in week out but against a low block or teams that sit back he is perfect to drop as a 3rd cb which Scott was expected to do tonight

Vanrouge

I know that Jesse and Ronnie are rightly getting the plaudits for that late winner, but is anyone giving Cavani credit for his ferocious commitment that led to it, and even earlier when he ran onto an overhit pass that Ronaldo himself had given up on? Cavani is a complete warrior.

Eleven-Eighteen

It was a turnaround performance in the second half with great subs from Ole, and a fight from the entire team. Credit to Telles, Lingard and Ronaldo for their involvement in the goals. But Cavani was immense too

Coops73

Fantastic result, great subs, to Oles credit. Villareal are a pain in the arse to play against but fair fecks to Telles and De Gea.

Thought Sancho payed well too, think he’s getting his confidence back bit by bit but Bruno was constantly digging him out, I know Bruno is a consummate winner but it isn’t always the best way to get the best out of someone.

Dave my MOTM obvs but shout out to Varane,Telles and Sancho too and big up ya chest Jesse for that proper clever assist for Ronaldo.

Chicharo

How did we win this one is beyond me.
Also, I'm sick and tired of playing the likes of Sevilla,Villarea, Sociedad... Would prefer Real or Barca these days.
We now have two tricky game against Atalanta now. Get 4 pts and with a win against YB thatshould beit.
But the overall performance must be much better.

GazTheLegend

My goodness, Seema Jaswal is absolutely stunning.
She's unbelievable. Great face to put on a great night in the end.

In all honesty, we looked like we BELIEVED we were going to win in the second half. Yeah Villareal were dangerous in the first half, but a serious point of note is that we were missing 3 of our first choice back four and we were always gonna concede chances. Diogo Dalot had an absolutely shocking game, but to be fair to him that was partly Danjuma having a stormer of a match too. We needed de Gea, and luckily he was in one of his God modes.

The pain was worth it for Old Trafford to end up bouncing the way it did though, wow.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Did the commentator say Villarreal haven’t lost this season before this?
Yeah 1 win and 5 draws in the league and a draw against Atalanta in the first round of games.

Lost bear

Matic and Cavani changed the whole game. I had called for this change in the first half because it was clear as day seeing our midfield being overrun because ronaldo and pogba are shit at closing in and generally defending.
It’s interesting- I missed the first 60 minutes, and I thought UTD played well. Sounds like there’s a connection there…

I hate Villarreal personally- most of what they do is just hold the ball to prevent their opponents winning, which is no doubt why they’ve drawn 8 out of 9 matches this season. And I think Emery ( forgive possible misspelling) is a ghastly manager- his weasel presence makes Ole look charismatic. They’re anti football as a slick Burnley.

So I’m feeling great- what an ending! It’s one of those occasions when the. CAF just comes across as really miserable, even though I love this place and have already learned a lot from it. I also strongly agree with the general critique of Ole. But right now who gives a feck? We won!

Incidentally , Ronaldo is an actual living God. ..

Wheato

Also…

our midfield double pivot should be Matic + 1
Absolutely this. Matic came on and took control of that game. They were pegged back from that moment on. He played through their lines. Didn't pass it backwards. We need to keep him in the team. He is our best CDM.

MiracleInMadrid

What was cowardly about it?
We seem to be too scared to lose. Only our frontline was pressing, leaving huge gaps all over the field. It was clear as day, that the midfield and defence wasn’t set up to go high. We haven’t got the courage to press high with the entire team.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Great finish but guys..........we have serious problems.

Low block, high block whatever-our build up play is laborious.

At times Villareal had only 2- 3 players commited to the attack and confronted with 4-5 of our players. Seemingly nowhere for them to go but pass-pass-pass and they create a goal scoring opportunity.

With us, we pass from defender to right back to defender to left back to right wing back to midfield etc etc

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Sancho was pretty decent, was active the whole game, pressed, try to take on players, ran, all in all showed glimpses of what he's capable of.
Yeh agreed, he played pretty well and showed his talent well.

United Irishman

That was a disaster of a performance. 9/10 we lose that game by 2 or 3. Ole being more and more exposed as the games go by this season. Fair play to United for digging in in the 2nd half. Biggest positive I can see tonight.

djembatheking

Good to hear the crowd giving Ole plenty of support. Made up for him , got his subs right tonight.

Scholes_boi

Wow glad we got that at the end. We still haven't solved our slow starts out at all. We're always poor in the 1st half. Lingard is becoming a proper super sub now, looks good.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw