FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2021

redmanx

Perspective; 3 months ago I would have said there was cause for concern as we languished in the bottom third of the Prem and couldn't seem to buy a home win. Now, United are second in the Prem, equal points with Liverpool and have progressed to the 4th round of the FA Cup with a team consisting of reserve squad youngsters and others who will soon be leaving and were basically given a final swan song against Watford. I'm not saying we're now the finished article or anywhere near it and our position in the Prem has a lot to do with other teams inconsistencies. I dont think we'll win the Prem, though naturally that would be fantastic, but on our day we can beat anybody, off our day we can lose to anybody too, but a good run in the Cup, maybe even winning it, and a good, strong finish in the Prem, second or third within striking distance of the eventual winners, will do wonders for the teams confidence, help attract new recruits and provide the platform for a real title challenge next season along with a successful run in the European Champions League. Instead of constantly putting the team down and moaning we should all get behind them and the manager!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We got the result with a team who have either not played together much or players who have barely played at all. It was bound to be a bit clunky.

Maticmaker

We allowed it to become more difficult than it should have been, but Ole had made nine changes and had to give Bruno a rest whatever else happened. If only we could find ways to win like this in semi-final rounds of Cup competitions!

Not convinced Martial is getting any nearer to his old form, if anything , he's more ponderous, slower to react and generally seems 'pi**ed-off. Rashford delights with his solo runs, he sets up great chances for his self then doesn't take them, baffling really!

First fifteen minutes some great interchanges of play down the left-hand side in particular, then somebody somewhere threw a switch and we turned off the razzle-dazzle and chased Watford's front two about for most of the first half.

For all their endeavour's Watford didn't really sustain their challenges for long enough to break us, but there were some panicking situations for us, from Watford set pieces.

Job done and the goal was once again midfielder arriving late at the front, this time from set piece, but still, keep looking for those positions Scotty!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Err.. We wouldn't need Rashford, Martial, and Matic subs if we were that comfortable. Also the score is only 1-0.
I mean you're not going to make zero subs in a game... You have to bring some players on at some point.

It was only 1-0, but Watford didn't look remotely like scoring., and we were hardly under the kosh, I'd call that comfortable.

Robertd0803

Job done kind of performance. Thought we would score more after the early goal but did enough.

Frustrating though that Bailly got injured again.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I mean you're not going to make zero subs in a game... You have to bring some players on at some point.

It was only 1-0, but Watford didn't look remotely like scoring., and we were hardly under the kosh, I'd call that comfortable.
Agreed.

redmanx

We allowed it to become more difficult than it should have been, but Ole had made nine changes and had to give Bruno a rest whatever else happened. If only we could find ways to win like this in semi-final rounds of Cup competitions!

Not convinced Martial is getting any nearer to his old form, if anything , he's more ponderous, slower to react and generally seems 'pi**ed-off. Rashford delights with his solo runs, he sets up great chances for his self then doesn't take them, baffling really!

First fifteen minutes some great interchanges of play down the left-hand side in particular, then somebody somewhere threw a switch and we turned off the razzle-dazzle and chased Watford's front two about for most of the first half.

For all their endeavour's Watford didn't really sustain their challenges for long enough to break us, but there were some panicking situations for us, from Watford set pieces.

Job done and the goal was once again midfielder arriving late at the front, this time from set piece, but still, keep looking for those positions Scotty!
Martiall has always blown hot and cold, though to be fair more hot than not, but he does tend to sulk and drify out of games and at his most frustrating doesnt even turn up. Hes young still but that excuse wont be valid for much longer, he needs to start growing up. Maybe a spell in the reserves will help him sort out his priorities, on his day he can be brilliant but he has to find consistency and the correct attitude.

tayside red

we seem incapable of stringing passes together, the ball gets lumped over defences for our front players or some try 50 yard Becks type passes which just don't work
Our failure to convert chances in front of goal, will come back & bite us in the league and future Cup games
Our playing out from the back is dire, we just haven't got the composure other teams have, Corners or balls into the box are things nightmares are made of, we just can't clear our lines
Onwards & Upwards

Counterfactual

Martiall has always blown hot and cold, though to be fair more hot than not, but he does tend to sulk and drify out of games and at his most frustrating doesnt even turn up. Hes young still but that excuse wont be valid for much longer, he needs to start growing up. Maybe a spell in the reserves will help him sort out his priorities, on his day he can be brilliant but he has to find consistency and the correct attitude.
Does he still qualify as young? We signed him back in 2015! If he stays young for much longer, there will be Lingard-style jokes about his perennial youthfulness! As a 25-year old, he should be done with the "young" excuse.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There's a thread elsewhere telling us we can't be critical if we really support the club. Well, tough!

We were poor and we were dull which is even more unacceptable given the start we had. Too many people seemed to be going through the motions - and I remember Fergie once said after a mainly second-string team played badly that he was having to reconsider their futures at the club.

There were a few nice moments and telles looked good, I loved Scotty's passion at being given the armband but I have to laugh when I hear commentators and pundits talking about the strength of our squad: that's just nonsense and that's why we are never going to really challenge. Watford were second-rate at best and we huffed and puffed. If the bench looked strong, it was because our usual first teamers were on it - and frankly some of them shouldn't be. When are people (and Ole) going to admit that martial is a waste of space. He came on and did exactly nothing. At least when Harry came on, he made a difference. I was so disappointed with Mata, similar with Lingard (although that was expected, sadly) and I wasn't sure where poor greenwood (our most natural goal scorer) was being asked to play

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Err.. We wouldn't need Rashford, Martial, and Matic subs if we were that comfortable. Also the score is only 1-0.
A bit flattering scoreline for Watford, we had what, 7 shots on goal? Mata missed a sitter.

The team that was out there had players that have not played a first team match in ages, or players that have rarely if ever played together. It is what it is, a comfortable uneventful home victory over a inferior side with some good individual players in Sarr and Zinkernagel.

always_hoping

Crawley showed today what can happen when you play a 2nd string side in cup games. A win and clean sheet in a game whereby Henderson was underworked was fine by me for a 3rd round tie.

Red00012

We were extremely comfortable in the second half. Henderson barely had a save to make.
We gave away numerous free kicks which was their only way of threatening us . A 2nd goal at any part of the game would have finished the game is all I’m saying .

justsomebloke

tbf depth shouldn’t really be measured by watching a team with eleven changes who haven’t had a game in weeks.

It’s more about how do we perform when Telles plays instead of Shaw. Or Mata instead of Greenwood. Our midfield rotation between Pogba, Matic, Fred and McTominay has largely done well over Christmas for example.
Of course. But the point stands. We lack credible backup options on at least four positions - both flanks, No 10 and right back. City and Chelsea has credible backup options everywhere. Liverpool are comparable to us - better depth among attackers, less depth in defenders and goalies, midfield good for both teams. Although of course they have a significantly better first XI.

redmanx

Does he still qualify as young? We signed him back in 2015! If he stays young for much longer, there will be Lingard-style jokes about his perennial youthfulness! As a 25-year old, he should be done with the "young" excuse.
I agree, at 25 hes old enough now to know whats required of him but some players and people take longer to mature and he has the talent to be given a little mort time and perhaps a spell in the reserves might wake him up. As for Lingard, I gave up on him some time ago, some players and people simply never seem to mature.

dutchred

What I find a little worrying is that we don't seem to have a fixed basic system. Of course we need to be flexible depending on circumstances and the game situation. But we should be able to bring a few reserves and they should know what system we are playing. Of course they are not the same quality or they would be regulars, but they should know the way we are playing, but whenever we play a few reserves in the cup games we look so disjointed.

croadyman

Of course. But the point stands. We lack credible backup options on at least four positions - both flanks, No 10 and right back. City and Chelsea has credible backup options everywhere. Liverpool are comparable to us - better depth among attackers, less depth in defenders and goalies, midfield good for both teams. Although of course they have a significantly better first XI.
Starting to sound like we are looking for experienced RB option hence the Trippier links, in regards to the right flank we are going to be relying on youth by the sounds of it. The left flank could still see Grealish if we ever do sell Pogba and he can also deputise for Bruno in the 10 role if required.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I expected us to win by a bigger margin, and we probably would have, if it wasn't for those pesky refs.

Pogba was immense today. I've been one of his biggest critics, but that was a great performance. That beauty of goal wasn't even the best thing he did today, he totally bossed the midfield. I haven't seen him play like this since the Europa final. Man of the match no doubt.

Bailly was also great. Rashford, despite not doing much else pops in with a beautiful assist. I don't like to see him playing on the right.

Martial is doing things well but it's not coming off for him. At this point I think he should see a shaman or witch doctor.

Top of the league! Where's that whoop whoop thread?
Wrong thread

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 184 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Watford