PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 August 2017

DoubleRevv

I'm wary of reading too much into the first game of the season, especially one against a West Ham side short of a few key players.

But that said, the lowest moment I can remember as a United fan was that performance against West Ham away the season before last. We went there with the chance of a top 4 spot well within our grasp, squealed around while their supporters attacked our bus and then went out a rolled over meekly to be bullied for the first 30 minutes. I've been disappointed with results or frustrated at performances before but in 30 years, I've never been so pissed off or disillusioned with our team.

Today felt like vindication for that performance. There was no man in red bullied today - every single one of them went out and imposed himself on his opposite number. We bullied them from start to finish.

That would've been enough for me to be honest but to see the flashes of inspiration and ruthlessness from fellas like Lukaku, Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Pogba was hugely encouraging as well.

It feels good to feel excited about a United side again!
Your comments are very insightful. Just to add to that, there was a phase in the first half where there were 3-4 consecutive challenges on 50/50 balls. We didn't shy away from getting stuck-in and that gives me hope that there is fight in this team.

P-Black

Great game, been waiting for this type of performance for a long time.

Impressed with Rashford's improved close control. To have him and Martial fighting for the same position will bring out the best in both of them hopefully.

Sentient Meat

I really wish we had the Super Cup to do over again and that we had Bailly available to play instead of Lindelof and had used Jones instead of Smalling. I'm not saying we would've won the game, but I think they might have been able to stop at least one extra goal. I also realize Blind isn't the greatest pure athlete but he offers so much more in terms of passing and ball control compared to Darmian. Same goes for Mata... not the fastest or strongest but his touch and linkup play as well as his intelligent runs for me compensates for some of his deficiencies in comparison to Lingard... What struck me about this game is that this lineup had no weak links that would keep losing the ball... some of the passing sequences were as breathtaking as the fluent play of Real and Barca. The frustrating thing about the Super Cup is that we lost confidence in our ability to pass and ended up just kicking the ball back to them like West Ham did to us today. I think having a solid back four with Matic should allow us to use Mata and Mkhi more often... even together at times. It was the combination of speed and power, combined with the technical excellence of those two that really made the team shine.

Can't wait till Ibra comes back... If Martial continues to find his form, Rashford keeps maturing... this team will truly be able to compete with the likes of anyone.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've had a brief flick through this thread and I have to say people are being a bit premature with the 'we're gonna win the league' talk.

It was a really exciting performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's ultimately one game. Remember City's start last year? Remember Chelsea's? There's a really long way to go.

With that being said, it's great to see some positivity in here and if we continue to turn in these kinds of performances then we'll be up there.

Dante

Average bang
I never pegged Mourinho as a manager that would play with fluid 3 behind the striker. Wonder never cease. At least, hopefully not till the end of the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've had a brief flick through this thread and I have to say people are being a bit premature with the 'we're gonna win the league' talk.

It was a really exciting performance and I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's ultimately one game. Remember City's start last year? Remember Chelsea's? There's a really long way to go.

With that being said, it's great to see some positivity in here and if we continue to turn in these kinds of performances then we'll be up there.
Want to see what we do away from home and against a lot better sides than WHU before I go overboard.

Roosney

First 10 minutes were odd, we looked like a pre-season experiment team with players looking confused and out of place.
After we got going there was only one team on the pitch.

MotM Matic. Or Lukaku, can't call it really.

Err lol omg did anyone else think it looks like it says Luk Aku on Romelus shirt?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Want to see what we do away from home and against a lot better sides than WHU before I go overboard.
Before then, we could be firmly ensconced at the top of the league with our schedule compared to others. We should hammer Swansea though next. Another 4 goals would be great.

Good to see Poggers not hitting the woodwork for a change! :D

hn4manunited

Thoroughly enjoyed watching that from many different perspective.

In addition to a solid performance, goals, and winning the match...it is so enjoyable to see how our team is being pieced together over the past couple years under Jose.

We have a good solid core now and are still looking to build on from here. Really enjoyed seeing how Jose's new signings are contributing, even the greatly questioned/criticized signings!

I was also happy to see how much invigorated Matic is. You can just tell he is happy to be here and happy to be playing for Jose again! He is different class to many of our players. That just shows you the quality of the Chelsea squad when a Matic looked an average and normal over there. Here's to hoping that he will continue to raise everyone else's level!

Whether today's performance is an indication of a great season, I am just happy to see us getting somewhat sorted or at least making good progress to being sorted and heading in the right direction.

Motm Matic for sure.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Surely Tony Martial deserves more starts. He's getting back to his first season level. Our best performance without ironically Smalling, Fellaini, Lingard, Carrick etc. starting. This was the level on which we need to build on. Hopefully next season's transfer window will enable us to push on even more.

WyoManU

Was quite nervous prior to the match. The last several seasons has beaten my confidence to a pulp. But what a showing. Comfortable win. Building confidence. Building belief. We just seemed to enjoy it out there today. Lukaku eased any doubts I had about his abilities.

I was not terribly thrilled to sign Matic when it happened, and I don't want to draw a lot from one game, but he was so good today. His reading of the game was superb. Never a foot out of place. Fouled when he had to. Was able to play the ball forward. Even had eyes for goal. Very happy with him today. MOTM.

So happy for our goals as well. Two on opening day for Lukaku. One for Martial and One for Pogba. Brilliant. Really wish that lash by Rashford had gone in. So close but not meant to be. Still, A lot to be hopeful about.

We won our first 3 last year so I don't want to get carried away but it looks good.

I want to see one of those 'all touches' compilation for Pogba and Matic today. Haven't found any yet. Those two were unreal today

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Impressive performance by Utd. Lukaku give ye a cutting edge. Matic impressive. Four goals is a fine statement of intent. Good omens for ye this season.

Reiver

At 2-0 I was thinking this is good but we have the same problems as last season - a lack of goals outside our main striker. Then Martial and Pogba scored and it was as complete a performance as we've had in many a year. If we can replicate this in a regular basis then we are capable of challenging for the title. We might not be a flair team but we're strong, solid and difficult to break down. If we add goals to that, then who knows?
Anyways, it's the first game of the season so I don't want to get carried away. At the very least it's an excellent start and we did all that could be reasonably expected from the opening fixture. Looking forward to next weekend.

Sterling Archer

I'm wary of reading too much into the first game of the season, especially one against a West Ham side short of a few key players.

But that said, the lowest moment I can remember as a United fan was that performance against West Ham away the season before last. We went there with the chance of a top 4 spot well within our grasp, squealed around while their supporters attacked our bus and then went out a rolled over meekly to be bullied for the first 30 minutes. I've been disappointed with results or frustrated at performances before but in 30 years, I've never been so pissed off or disillusioned with our team.

Today felt like vindication for that performance. There was no man in red bullied today - every single one of them went out and imposed himself on his opposite number. We bullied them from start to finish.

That would've been enough for me to be honest but to see the flashes of inspiration and ruthlessness from fellas like Lukaku, Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Pogba was hugely encouraging as well.

It feels good to feel excited about a United side again!
Terrific post. You've captured why so many of us are reacting so positively to the match. Whether it was that particular match or another, we've had quite a few lows. Last season we had glimpses to see this becoming a formidable team. Today was a rejuvenated squad and the swagger we missed at Old Trafford was back. Between Jose's enthusiasm "fire, fire fire" and this performance im really excited for what's to come.

markhrad

Only negative was Mata, he contributes so little to our build up play. When he does make himself available he does a short side or back pass then off he goes to head into the box. He made two nice plays in the box and everyone says he had a great game. Jogs around the pitch just keeping far enough away from actual involvement then very rarely he will attempt a tackle. I cant believe how everyone does not see this. I maintain that his only role should be as a late sub when we re chasing a game because he is sneaky in the box.

Minimalist

Only negative was Mata, he contributes so little to our build up play. When he does make himself available he does a short side or back pass then off he goes to head into the box. He made two nice plays in the box and everyone says he had a great game. Jogs around the pitch just keeping far enough away from actual involvement then very rarely he will attempt a tackle. I cant believe how everyone does not see this. I maintain that his only role should be as a late sub when we re chasing a game because he is sneaky in the box.
Incredible. He was one of our best players and you think he was our only problem. :lol:

Skåre Willoch

:drool::drool::drool:

I havent felt like this in four years. Absolutely buzzing!

Great performance by every single one of the lads. Matic is my MoM, with Lukaku and Pogba just behind.

Poor Zabaleta. First Rashford terrorized him for a good 80 minutes, then Martial came on and finished the bald man. Great coaching by Mou, that.

GET IN!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Rubbish.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
José at work baby! No more revolving doors at every damn position. Core is being built as we speak.

Such a glorious game. Goal scoring will NOT be a problem for us in the league. There's enough attacking talent to all be able to chip in. Especially with Lukaku up front, he's such a magnet and draws so much attention that it'll allow others to free up. So glad Martial bagged a goal as well as Pogba; should take some pressure off them and allow them to relax and do their thing now that the season has begun. And obviously Lukaku netting 2 was brilliant and just a preview of what's to come from him this year. Absolute beast :drool:

kthanksbye

That's what you get when you sign from the PL, no bedding in period required, both players playing their first league game for us, one scores twice and the other puts in a MOTM performance.
Should try not to get carried away after one game only, but there are hardly any negatives to talk about.
Given our first few fixtures, we could be staying at the top for a few weeks now, which will be very helpful for the confidence of the team.

SapperBRed75

Bailly - 8 - Solid as a rock, needless yellow card but was tremendous otherwise
Jones - 8 - Never put a foot wrong, very solid showing. Seems to be developing a great partnership with Bailly
Agree in the main, but I think giving both CBs an 8/10 perhaps should be balanced by West Ham being bereft of attacking ideas (aside from an industrious Hernandez) and both Bailly and Jones being afforded excellent protection by Matic. They didn't have loads to do, weren't put under a lot of pressure over 90 mins, but they were solid.

Shuriken

I went all crazy with my ratings, gave some players a bit too much compliments. But that's because it was our biggest margin of victory since a few seasons back. In the league, that is.

Matic was the real man of the match overall, but I gave it to Lukaku because both his goals felt essential in themselves. Getting the first goal, it goes without saying, and that little feeling of relaxation after his second. Pogba was brilliant too.

Nucks

RT History Department
Except that we're not talking about leagues here. We're talking about Real Madrid specifically vs any other Prem side. Noone is willing to argue that any of last year's top 6 are remotely as good as Madrid, who have won 3 out of the past 4 CLs.
I took the original tweet to be alluding to the league, and using RM and us as the point by which to judge the standard required to win each league.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I was confident on the day we signed Matic to be fair, but even I was surprised at how influential he was going to be. Reminds me of the impact a certain French fella had on the club way back when. It's understandable that you would play it safe given the circumstances, we have endured so many false dawns over the last few years, so many failures. And of course it is just one game. But what a game it was.

Honestly, I haven't witnessed a performance as dominant as that for years. Everything went right. You could see it in the players, they were accepting nothing less than an emphatic victory. We went in at half-time with a 1 goal lead, confident and in control of the game. Think back to last season, you would be forgiven for believing Jose would send the lads out in the second half under instruction to sit deep and defend the lead. But not today, Jose. Today was different. When the players came out in the second half they looked hungry, brimming with desire and desperate to show a statement of intent that the rest of the league would stand up and take notice of, and that's precisely what they did.

Clearly the ultimate goal this season is to win the league, the players attitude on show today is testiment to that fact. It's up for debate as to whether we achieve that goal, but what fills me with confidence is that the players believe they can win it, and we haven't had that belief among the squad since the great man was running the show.

Mihai

Personally I'd put Rashford out on the right, in the place of Mkhitaryan - he was a beast on the right in one of our pre-season games. With Mhkitaryan, I'd take him into the middle behind Lukaku where Mata was today, he's already shown that he's pretty decent as a no.10 in pre-season.

Tat leaves Mata out, but happy to start him against weaker sides/bring him on after 60mins.
I think Jose wants at least a striker on the bench. That gives us more options if we are chasing a goal or if someone gets injured ( hope not)

Jonno

Some of the very people who criticised us signing Matic, voting him as man of the match.

Great signing, balances the entire starting 11, pulls the whole Mourinho master plan into place. How people didn't want Matic anchoring our side for the next 2-4 years is beyond me!

Great to see us start strongly, I think Mourinho purposely used the word confidence about 20 times in his interview with Sky Sports, to drum it into his players.

Raw

Bit unrelated but does anyone have any images/videos of the pre match lineups they showed on Sky? With the players posing and all?

Thought they looked great :lol:

Nik70

Yep. It's easy to get carried away but Mourinho is obviously very level headed and is not getting carried away as indicated in his post match comments. We've progressed very nicely and continue to do so with him in charge. That's what is most encouraging.

Smores

The biggest thing for me was the ability the players showed in keeping the ball without safe passes backwards, they actually moved the ball to find a way past.

It was as if Real had taught them that lesson at the Supercup

Carolina Red

Staff
Having Matic sitting in front of the back 4 gave a nice, cozy feeling today... not to mention the skill he showed going forward and contributing to the attack.

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 66% of 1271 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1051 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw