PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 05 December 2020

Abhinav

Really happy with our results recently in the premier league and the fighting spirit. Still, very worried with the amount of goals we are conceding. Really can’t figure out why essentially the same set of players who did really well defending at the back end of last season seem to be panicking any time someone attacks our box. My feeling is that we miss Matic in the kind of form he was in the 2nd half of last season. Fred & Mct do a good job of pressing & hustling but their positioning at times can be suspect at the best of times. Pity we didn’t get a Matic replacement this summer.
On the plus side, Wan Bissaka is returning to good form and Lindelöf has also been good recently.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Remarkable how poor we can look, on paper we should have dominated that first half. EPL is full of runners who press like demons, and we really don't. It hurts me to see us give their second rate attackers space while our stars are being harried from an inch away, yet we can't turn anyone and rarely make teams pay for getting so close by playing balls over the defender for the attacker to run to. I mean that's why you give an attacker space, because he can just go past you and get into a ball over your head.

Robertd0803

Bet West Ham were expecting a walkover in the second half as well :lol:bunch of muppets. (Although in fairness they should have been out of sight at half time).

Alarming how we keep finding ourselves behind but great spirit and recovery again.

redmanx

Yesterday was yet another nightmare start to a game, its like dreaming of drowning at sea, then waking up to find the lifeboat bearing down on you, to whisk you to safety and leaving you wondering what all the fuss was about.
We have some good players, some brilliant players, but as Bruno and Rashford demonstrated yesterday only one or two who can produce on demand. TBF Pogba played half decent all the way through, but only really came to life when Bruno and Rashford were on board. Greenwood yet again proved his worth, not just now but long term, shades of RVP once again fluttered across the pitch and if anyone can produce a top class recovering sliding tackle better than WBS yet to see it! As for Mata's pass to set up the third goal...'worth the entrance money alone' as someone once said.
However Ole has to get his 'mix right', allowing for injuries and fatigue, yes he does that, but the fact that he played Martial at all, when the lad is obviously out of form just now was a very poor, decision, made to look even worse when he took off Cavani and left Martial on?.

"Alls well that ends well"... so they say!
If Pogba can produce something close to his 2nd half performance more often than we'll have a good player on our hands, but will he? History would say he cant, or wont, as previously we'd see one good game and then he's back to the frustrating player we've winessed for most of his current time at United. I really hope he can become even halfway the player we all want him to be and that his performance against WHU wasnt just an attempt to grab the eye of the likes of Juventus, Real or Barca. Im being cynical, I know, but Paul Pogba could turn a saint into a cynic!

Gator Nate

Public Service Announcement: The winner of a game is the team that scores the most goals over the course 90 minutes plus added injury time.

With that firmly in mind, good on Ole for rotating out ahead of a huge Champions' League match in three days. This should shut up those who complain he's running players into the ground.

For all the talk about how bad we were the first half, we went in down only one goal. Sure, West Ham might should have had more... we might should have had one or two as well. But at the end of the half, they only had one, we didn't have any.

Ole made two moves at the half, which should shut up those who complain his late substitutions. Oh? What's that? It's Rashford and Bruno? Wait, he's supposed to be resting them? Well, he kept them on the bench anyway. They still only played half a game. And what a difference it made! The Mata sub (he's not as washed out as some want to think, just a bit slow) proved fruitful as well.

And we come through the second half scoring three for ourselves while holding the other side scoreless, for another three points and moving up the table.

You play for 90 minutes. You're not "on" all the time, but you might just do enough to keep the other team out of the net. We pretty much did.

Pogba is slow. If he's just stop trying to dribble away from trouble, stop trying to outrun defenders when he's on the ball, he'd be so much better. That said, his goal was a wonderful piece of work.

Greenwood's goal, such quick thinking, amazing presence. Rashford coming good as well, made for a great aftenoon (morning? night? your time zone may vary).

Yet another game where we outlasted the opponents and beat them in a rush of goals. Say what you want, but it's working.

On to Leipzig!

Icemav

Exactly. Ole’s understanding of the club and what it’s like to have a winning mentality in that dressing room is important, and should not be dismissed as irrelevant. However, it’s insufficient without top-level technical coaching staff and I am not really convinced the current crew has enough of that. Nevertheless, I’m still hopeful that we’re on the right track, albeit slowly.
I hope he takes the steps to try and address this. Overall Ole is doing a very commendable job and I hope he can continue strengthening the team. There is no doubt in my mind that we need a talisman CM before we can take the next step, but that aside we just need to be a bit more organized and structured in our style of play.

Grande

So from a year ago struggling against teams who sit back and depending on scoring first, we now regularily score two, three or four on teams who have a lead against us and can just sit back. That’s progress. But how do we do it?

Many noticed our subs on Saturday, but few have commented on our tactical tweeks in the second half. There was more focus on attacking quickly, Dean Henderson point in case. West Ham haddefended in two tight blocks of 5 and 4, outnumbering us. Rashford and Martial started making more runs behind their defence, stretching it and making space for Bruno and Pogba.Wan Bissaka took up higher positions, creating width, and Telles taking up defensive positions when we were defending.

Moyes had set up well against us, but we found all the keys in the second half. I should have liked to hear that tactical meeting.

redmanx

Public Service Announcement: The winner of a game is the team that scores the most goals over the course 90 minutes plus added injury time.

With that firmly in mind, good on Ole for rotating out ahead of a huge Champions' League match in three days. This should shut up those who complain he's running players into the ground.

For all the talk about how bad we were the first half, we went in down only one goal. Sure, West Ham might should have had more... we might should have had one or two as well. But at the end of the half, they only had one, we didn't have any.

Ole made two moves at the half, which should shut up those who complain his late substitutions. Oh? What's that? It's Rashford and Bruno? Wait, he's supposed to be resting them? Well, he kept them on the bench anyway. They still only played half a game. And what a difference it made! The Mata sub (he's not as washed out as some want to think, just a bit slow) proved fruitful as well.

And we come through the second half scoring three for ourselves while holding the other side scoreless, for another three points and moving up the table.

You play for 90 minutes. You're not "on" all the time, but you might just do enough to keep the other team out of the net. We pretty much did.

Pogba is slow. If he's just stop trying to dribble away from trouble, stop trying to outrun defenders when he's on the ball, he'd be so much better. That said, his goal was a wonderful piece of work.

Greenwood's goal, such quick thinking, amazing presence. Rashford coming good as well, made for a great aftenoon (morning? night? your time zone may vary).

Yet another game where we outlasted the opponents and beat them in a rush of goals. Say what you want, but it's working.

On to Leipzig!
Well said. Its time all the moaners and doom sayers realised that Ole is doing a very good job and the team is starting to click. Yes there will be days when things dont go well, yes there may well be future defeats, but we are making steady progress and at times, more and more in fact, playing some great, exciting football!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
When we play like we did for the 20 mins when we scored our three beauties I think we are as good an attacking side as any in the league. We just need to find greater consistency. You would think we had lost the game judging by the reaction of the media after the game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
When we play like we did for the 20 mins when we scored our three beauties I think we are as good an attacking side as any in the league. We just need to find greater consistency. You would think we had lost the game judging by the reaction of the media after the game.
We’re relegation candidates then we’re one of the most dangerous counter attacking sides in Europe. Who knows?

lilcurt

Is it the managers job to prevent Pogba from having Covid ?
Is it the managers job to prevent us from having 1 weeks pre-season because of Covid ?
Is it the managers job to prevent Greenwood from having a friend commit suicide ?
Is it the managers job to prevent AWB from running off to Dubai ? Partially
Is it the managers job to prevent Maguire from ending up in a greek prison ? Pretty sure it's not
Martial - yes, he has to take some stick for that
Wow, talk about being extreme and self serving. Many of those points aren't the managers fault, when it comes to Covid we have been hit far less than other clubs.

AWB and Martial I do place on the manager. Those things wouldn't happen under a SAF or Jose.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% West Ham 1:3 Man Utd