PL W FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 September 2021

Reddevildans

How many bloody corners did we have today. All past the first man and into dangerous areas yet nobody got a header off or was threatening. Seriously we need to get better at scoring from set pieces. Sometimes it's the biggest moments in games and against the top teams. Needs to improve big time because the deliveries are good.

Great result. Thought it was going to end up another draw until jLingz stepped up, funnily enough I was confident that De Gea would save the pen, 1) Because nobly just came on 2) They showed his past 5 pens and none were right in the corner or either very low or top corner so thought if DDG guessed right he’d have a chance.

Great win and rollercoaster win at the end.

Yorke to Cole

I was relatively impressed with how we played. I thought we controlled the possession during large spells of the match. Prior to West Ham scoring, I thought it was a matter of time, also after we equalised and straight after half time. We really should have scored during that period as West Ham looked leggy after their match in Zagreb.

Our goal was excellent and clinical. The other criticism is we need to start killing games off and not have this last minute dramas that we have had the past two matches. Whether we are holding for a point or have looked to have won the match we must concentrate on not allowing any encouragement for the opposition to create chances and thus see out the match.

I also agree on the refereeing. It was poor and today's 2.00pm kick offs has confirmed that VAR has now completely reverted to just back ground checks and just being a back up facilty. Any fouls for holding by a defender during set pieces will not be pulled up. The "clear and obvious error" is a soundbite for officials to hide behind.

Hampshire Rec

Var and Ref today were a joke today, in fact over the whole weekend there have been some shocking decisions.
Delighted that twat Noble failed to score, #unt of the highest order!!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Won't lie I missed the penalty save because I left the room in disgust, knew the referee was giving it as soon as the West Ham fans shouted for it. Justice served. That was beautiful.

Eddy_JukeZ

We should have had 2 pens in this game.

VAR almost robbed us.

Thought we played really well in spades.

Maguire/Fred were actively sabotaging us at times with their passing.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Maguire needs to be reminded that his place is not permanent. He has been poor and lacked concentration this season. Wayward passing and lethargic defending. I think with Ronaldo anyway, we don't a permanent captain and there should not be a place reserved for any player.

Cantonagotmehere

Just returned from the match.
Some observations
Atmosphere was great among the Utd fans and this being the first match I've been to at the NLS, it beats the Emirates hands down IMHO. Thoroughly enjoyed being with our away fans once again and it was great to shut up the mouthy WHU lot after we scored. From where I was standing, it was only us that was singing in the second half.

The game itself. Well after posting here watching the game on TV for a few years now, it is evident how different it is live. Took me a while to appreciate a few things. Ronaldo's movement is superb even though he doesn't have that pace over a longer distance. Over 5 metres or so, he is still quick. McFred in midfield works best than any other combination. McT in particular worked his socks off and hit some astute passes, he also broke up play well.Ole should be commended for making two good subs against a well organised side who, physically, are very difficult to break down. Their game plan was to hit on the break and maybe Antonio could have made the difference but watching it, we controlled it well even if it did take a goal to wake us up. Thereon we didn't look that troubled.

Points to work on. We still have a habit of creating our own problems. Needless dithering and mishit passes but the work rate in covering was excellent.

Rice.
Good player and it's easy to see why he'd improve us. Better than Fred IMO, and broke up a couple of attacks. Does like to drive forward even if it leads him into blind alleys but he lacked the quality support. With good players around him, he'd be able to conserve that energy. Whether we'd be spending what WHU want is a totally different issue.

Ole's management of the game was far better than Moyes'. I can't imagine what WH fans will be saying right now with regard to not spending on Jesse, and allowing Noble to run on and take a pen when he was nowhere near warmed up :lol:

Are we title challengers? Fans verdict as we left'; Need a bit more consistency but we have the quality and belief to be so.
Thanks for this, love the in game perspective. Please keep them coming and glad you got to see a cracker!

Dash247

We deserve 3 points.

Missed a couple of penalty calls.
Awful refreeing.

Ronaldo is a machine. Almost always on target and almost always at the right place and right time.

Beast of a goal from Lingard. I am not understanding the hate on him for not celebrating. Most of us fans have been hating on him playing for us. He got his career back on track while on loan at Westham. Its okay if he has a soft spot. If he can do stuff like this every now and then i dont care about him being on bench. We needed a goal and he got it for us.

Love DDG. His form dropped last couple of seasons but he has been awesome so far this season.i dont even remeber the last time he saved a penalty, but this one was amazing.

Varane is solid.

Fred is meehhh. Its just frustrating to watch him.

Maguire didnt have the best of the game. Lots of bad passes.

Harold_Giles

Just returned from the match.
Some observations
Atmosphere was great among the Utd fans and this being the first match I've been to at the NLS, it beats the Emirates hands down IMHO. Thoroughly enjoyed being with our away fans once again and it was great to shut up the mouthy WHU lot after we scored. From where I was standing, it was only us that was singing in the second half.

The game itself. Well after posting here watching the game on TV for a few years now, it is evident how different it is live. Took me a while to appreciate a few things. Ronaldo's movement is superb even though he doesn't have that pace over a longer distance. Over 5 metres or so, he is still quick. McFred in midfield works best than any other combination. McT in particular worked his socks off and hit some astute passes, he also broke up play well.Ole should be commended for making two good subs against a well organised side who, physically, are very difficult to break down. Their game plan was to hit on the break and maybe Antonio could have made the difference but watching it, we controlled it well even if it did take a goal to wake us up. Thereon we didn't look that troubled.

Points to work on. We still have a habit of creating our own problems. Needless dithering and mishit passes but the work rate in covering was excellent.

Rice.
Good player and it's easy to see why he'd improve us. Better than Fred IMO, and broke up a couple of attacks. Does like to drive forward even if it leads him into blind alleys but he lacked the quality support. With good players around him, he'd be able to conserve that energy. Whether we'd be spending what WHU want is a totally different issue.

Ole's management of the game was far better than Moyes'. I can't imagine what WH fans will be saying right now with regard to not spending on Jesse, and allowing Noble to run on and take a pen when he was nowhere near warmed up :lol:

Are we title challengers? Fans verdict as we left'; Need a bit more consistency but we have the quality and belief to be so.
Cheers for that mate, lovely to get insight from a match going fan.
The away section must have erupted at the end.

I've only been once to an away game. The Dell in 2000 where we clinched the title, Ole one of the scorers. Absolute scenes at the wistle.

Would love to be able to experience the United section at an away game again, it's something else.

RedorDead21

I had West Ham fans messaging me how embarrassing it was for us to resign him when it happened. Even saying they were showing ambition over the summer in their signings compared to ours! Today was sooooo sweet.

Edgio

Lionel Jesse is back and this makes me happy. He really is a player who can make a difference when he's in good form.

Matst1

There's definitely something not quite right with our coaching - as soon as they scored, we transformed into a proper energized, attacking team, we then score and the foot goes off the gas and we turn into a team full of strangers again. Its like we're coached to play a certain way, but when the opposition scores its a wake up call and we panic but start to play free flowing attacking football like its our natural way of playing. Its very frustrating - i love Ole but we now need someone to take us to the next level, like Tuchel has done with Chelsea..

Adam_S

Haha, feck you Moyes you gollum faced troll, ono, dos, tres times.

Lingardinho!!!!!!!!!

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We never made anything easy for ourselves. Ronaldo needs to pick up open greenwood more. Sancho is beginning to worry me. Fred is a liability. Overall away form is stunning, delighted for DDG. Enjoyed the drama.

ManUnitedCanuck

Question, if Noble scored would he have had to take it again? Few players encroached in the 18 on his run up and i recall for a bit they were monitoring that but don’t think that is the case anymore?

If keepers have to stay on the line, why not enforce this as well as it could provide an advantage if you do the whole pass to an oncoming player routine.

Genuinely curious on this one. Would cause a lot of retakes and be annoying so can see why it’s not called.

wise_old_man

Great 3 pts. Wasnt a vintage performance, but VAR would have disallowed Ronaldos goal last year, so you win some and lose some (the pen that wasnt). De Gea did something he hasnt done in years. Well done dave! Lingard good goal. Once again though Fred was poor.
Why would VAR disallow Ronaldo's goal though? Only his hand was behind the West Ham player. And hand is not counted as a viable body part allowed to score goals.

Chicharo

Ronnie.
Never played together with Nobles, against him - well zillion years ago
It's not like when Modric told Subasic how Ramos would shoot when Croatia played against Spain in 2016. He just knew him that well

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There's definitely something not quite right with our coaching - as soon as they scored, we transformed into a proper energized, attacking team, we then score and the foot goes off the gas and we turn into a team full of strangers again. Its like we're coached to play a certain way, but when the opposition scores its a wake up call and we panic but start to play free flowing attacking football like its our natural way of playing. Its very frustrating - i love Ole but we now need someone to take us to the next level, like Tuchel has done with Chelsea..
You think that's due to coaching? A football team is like an orchestra. It only takes one player/instrument to feck things up. Once the players cross the white line, there isn't much the manager can do other than subbing.
We need leaders on the pitch. Thats why the type of recruiting we go the last summer.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I had West Ham fans messaging me how embarrassing it was for us to resign him when it happened. Even saying they were showing ambition over the summer in their signings compared to ours! Today was sooooo sweet.
From WHU perspective, he’s ideal for them. Low expectations and getting great reward from his players. They are showing ambition to be within the top 10 and that’s fine where Moyes is concerned. It’s better than the dross management they had prior to him taking over where they were in relegation dogfights.

As much as I hate them, They are nowhere near as deluded as Spurs fans who still believe they are a big club

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We still are a team where we don’t know which one will turn up that’s for sure.

Credit where credit’s due though, good management yesterday and the subs worked a treat.

Where Tuchel is concerned, be careful what you wish for. His subbing on of Kante changed the game when it looked like they wouldn’t get anything out of it. If we give him the kudos for that then we need to give Ole the same. Tuchel is still a coach working with a lot of money and the squad is still very much one he’s inherited. I’d like to see him build his own before I see him as a Utd coach

Josh 76

Credit where credit’s due though, good management yesterday and the subs worked a treat.

Where Tuchel is concerned, be careful what you wish for. His subbing on of Kante changed the game when it looked like they wouldn’t get anything out of it. If we give him the kudos for that then we need to give Ole the same. Tuchel is still a coach working with a lot of money and the squad is still very much one he’s inherited. I’d like to see him build his own before I see him as a Utd coach
Please don’t compare Tuchel to Ole.

tomaldinho1

How many bloody corners did we have today. All past the first man and into dangerous areas yet nobody got a header off or was threatening. Seriously we need to get better at scoring from set pieces. Sometimes it's the biggest moments in games and against the top teams. Needs to improve big time because the deliveries are good.
Ironically we hired a set pieces coach in the summer as well…

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

TBF with the addition of an ageing but effective stroker in Ronaldo, we have had to change our approach once again. Ironically Ole's dream of a fluid, interchanging front 3 (ala Rooney, Tevez/Saha, Young Ronaldo) will need to be shelved if old Ronnie is ever-present.
We will be a work in progress again when we add Rashford into the mix. But if we get it right, we would have multiple modes of lethality.

jansch

Just saw this one. I'm sorry if someone's already posted it

Coincidence, wild guess or he really knew or what?
That seems like a photoshop job. I fail to understand why though. :houllier:

Can't post media, but there's a video on YouTube called "Ronaldo Reaction To De Gea Last Minute Penalty Save" by Crossbar Central, which shows the penalty from a different angle. You can clearly see the guy squatting on the ground doesn't lift his hand before or during the penalty.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We didn't panic. We were playing a typical away football vs a decent opponent. Controlling the game then they got a freak goal. We simply got pissed and went for the kill to catch up quick

Stevondo8

Thought it was a good game to watch. Throughout we looked the most likely to score, although west ham carried a threat as well. Throughout second half was quite confident we were going to go on to win it, but that was beginning to fade as the penalties got refused.

1st one was a clear pen. No idea how that wasn’t given. 2nd one, the little tug as the cross came in, not for me. 3rd one, probably a pen but can see why it wasn’t given, he was on the way down by time contact came.

West Ham with Antonio up top will cause teams problems.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% West Ham 0:2 Man Utd