PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 May 2023

Wing Attack Plan R

Lindelof did very well today. There was one moment when he received the ball under pressure, jinked around one opponent then outpaced another, completed a forward pass. Normally this is where Maguire would get a kicking, but Maguire did very well in his cameo. He even delivered a nice long ball up the wing that found its mark (Bruno?). Lindelof was widely derided on here for a long time so it’s nice to see him have a good run.

AttackAttackAttack

Lindelof did very well today. There was one moment when he received the ball under pressure, jinked around one opponent then outpaced another, completed a forward pass. Normally this is where Maguire would get a kicking, but Maguire did very well in his cameo. He even delivered a nice long ball up the wing that found its mark (Bruno?). Lindelof was widely derided on here for a long time so it’s nice to see him have a good run.
IceMan has always been number one. That’s why Maverick is HIS wingman. On a serious note, Victor is a solid number 3 CB and I’m happy we have good depth in defense once again.

Stig

Antony has a couple of glaring weaknesses in his game, but he is absolutely miles ahead of Sancho and Martial in his overall contribution to the team.

bosskeano

Well clearly some of us and ETH have a different view.
I think we all get where EtH is coming from in that he wants those as goals to make the matches easier....he looks at the video and knows they were solid shots and saves but he has to demand more of the players otherwise they'd get complacent in front of goal

MrBest

ETH has sulked everything out of this squad, we should not be sitting in 4th based on current performances. That said, good win today, we were very comfortable but I was incredibly nervous at the end because of our inability to kill a game off. Shaw was outstanding, Bruno very good and I thought Antony looked really good. My problem with him is his final decision in the final third but the improvement versus 6 months ago is good enough to make me think this kid could be special in the next few years. The space he gets into is incredible, he just needs to continue to learn to lay it off to a player in a better position, his assist tally could rocket if he did and we had a better striker. All in all, I'm happy, 2 wins from 3 needed to get 4th, 2 home games left too. I'm 70% confident we can do it but anything can happen.

bosskeano

not sure the criticism of how they played today considering we had 27 shot attempts to their 5.....

also...i think malacia will grow into the squad and league but we are clearly more dynamic with Shaw at LB than playing LCB

Rusholme Ruffian

When we talk about 'the United Way' it's kind of hard to quantify, but it's safe to say Garnacho absolutely typifies it. Sancho is a tidy footballer who would probably excel in a different system, but he's just not dynamic enough to be a United forward imho

MichaelRed

It wasn't Sancho who squandered 3 goals in the first half.
What a load of disingenuous shite. Sancho did as much for the team in the first half as you did, that's hardly a stick to beat Antony with. So many 'fans' are never happy, at first it was all "Antony is too slow to beat a man & never goes down the outside" and despite him then clearly developing in those areas this season, he's still called a problem because his final pass isn't good enough in a game where he created the opening goal. Load of crap.

Unlikely lad

also...i think malacia will grow into the squad and league but we are clearly more dynamic with Shaw at LB than playing LCB
See, I always thought that losing Martinez meant we lost our best CB and best LB (because Shaw moved into LCB), severely impeding our progressive passing from the back.

But I thought Shaw was very underwhelming today - he was barely involved in moving us forward as far as I could tell (my stream was terrible, so I might be wrong).

Cantonagotmehere

How often does Antony & AWB have to play on the right side to understand the opposition gets little joy due to their partnership ? The toxic attitude against Antony is wild. He was our only threat for most of the game until Garnacho came on. Sancho and Martial are easy to defend against and thus Antony gets over his fair share of attention from their defense. Suggesting in the same position Antony doesn't score Garancho's goal is using a verbal bullshit. Only other player we have is Rashford who in similar position would score that. You get Garnacho, Rashford and Antony up front this is a different game. Garnacho is a special player and he has got is sadly what Sancho hasn't. There is a player somewhere in Sancho but it's not going to be seen at Old Trafford.
Great post

bosskeano

See, I always thought that losing Martinez meant we lost our best CB and best LB (because Shaw moved into LCB), severely impeding our progressive passing from the back.

But I thought Shaw was very underwhelming today - he was barely involved in moving us forward as far as I could tell (my stream was terrible, so I might be wrong).
well with them playing 442 that would limit just how much he would go forward so that we weren't open to the counter as you don't want to leave them 2v2 at the back

we had plenty of overloads centrally to push forward into the attack

right though that martinez being out has really hurt us having two strong left sided defenders

Wing Attack Plan R

Shaw was good, didn’t give the Wolves even a sniff of the ball. He didn’t overlap much but I think that has more to do with Sancho staying wide and not giving space or looking to work 1-2s with him.

lex talionis

I understand the instinct to crap on our performance, but it might be worth recalling that Wolves have historically been a bogey side for us. Beyond that, in no way can Wolves even think about deserving a draw. We shut them down in our own third, we controlled midfield and although our finishing isn’t what it should be, we were whiskers away from making 3-0. Job fukking done.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This thread! I think people need to understand it’s a long season; the team is lucky (and well done the trainers and medical staff) to be in pretty good shape.

Where are the posts saying well done Harry Maguire fot the goal-saving intervention at 1-O? Where are the posts saying Garnacho took on his defensive responsibilities. Admittedly there has been praise for Lindelof and Shaw. Case is playing himself back to his best form. Eriksen is still a bit off, but made some good contributions. Brilliant today from AWB and Fred. Anthony appears consumed by the demands of his transition to becoming the player so highly valued by ETH. But Antony still played a major role in the win. I’m delighted for Martial. Took his goal well and was part of a few good moves. Dave did well all game, though he had no shots to save. Improved as well.

And finally, the majestic Bruno. He has played his way to legendary status in my book. He is almost always entertaining and effective. Hopefully we will see some of the rewards of his graft, class and ingenuity on the next weeks. Great win. Come on United.

DSG

Yet he played well today. One assist and a brilliant save away from scoring, with another shot inches wide of the post with the keeper beaten. Plus that fantastic run from deep which ended in a very good chance for Martial. Why do people so often just list off preconceptions about players instead of acknowledging their performance on the day?
He did play well today.

I think that he would be disappointed with his performance this season, taken in whole. He’s missed a lot of very good chances, and at times when we really needed him. The Brighton match and the West Ham match, if memory serves, were two instances where he could have won us the points if he hadn’t fluffed his lines.Ten Hag said it himself, creating chances isn’t good enough, we have to finish, at least get our shots on frame.

I’m optimistic that he can really help us in our next 4 matches and also use that as a foundation for a great second season where he can contribute double digit goals and assists.

DSG

Once again when Rashford is out injured, we end up averaging more goals per game than when he plays. And as a bonus, our attack is much more free-flowing. Granted, we could still have been more composed on the ball.

Instead of constantly trying to feed Rashford on the break, who will most likely wander into tight corridors or run into a defender and lose it, we now involve more of our attacking players.

Antony and Sancho aren't as quick as Rashford. And they may not be the perfect wingers we really need, especially Sancho. But, they add so much more to our control and possession of our entire game.

We often play better without Rashford.
Yes, he will often times score. But that comes at a cost of the rest of the team, just like it was with Ronaldo. When he doesn't play, we don't miss his goals... Because we end up scoring 2-3 goals anyway. And when he does play, everything has to go through him, at the cost of the rest of our team.

Rashford needs dropping more often.
I'd like to see him utilized more as a late sub, whereas he can use his pace to run behind a tired backline.

Granted, I know that's never going to happen, since he is our protected golden boy and local lad. We should be more ruthless, and put the team before any player.
This is going to be an unpopular take… really bizarre. Drop Rashford?

NICanRed

Antony has a couple of glaring weaknesses in his game, but he is absolutely miles ahead of Sancho and Martial in his overall contribution to the team.
As I said earlier - I like Antony and have great hope for him. I just wish he would stop trying to mimic Foden. He always looks so miserable or angry. If that is his game face and what makes him tick - then OK if he really needs that to bring out his abilities. Even Bruno knows how to smile at times!!

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This thread! I think people need to understand it’s a long season; the team is lucky (and well done the trainers and medical staff) to be in pretty good shape.

Where are the posts saying well done Harry Maguire fot the goal-saving intervention at 1-O? Where are the posts saying Garnacho took on his defensive responsibilities. Admittedly there has been praise for Lindelof and Shaw. Case is playing himself back to his best form. Eriksen is still a bit off, but made some good contributions. Brilliant today from AWB and Fred. Anthony appears consumed by the demands of his transition to becoming the player so highly valued by ETH. But Antony still played a major role in the win. I’m delighted for Martial. Took his goal well and was part of a few good moves. Dave did well all game, though he had no shots to save. Improved as well.

And finally, the majestic Bruno. He has played his way to legendary status in my book. He is almost always entertaining and effective. Hopefully we will see some of the rewards of his graft, class and ingenuity on the next weeks. Great win. Come on United.
[/QUOTE

They have sent him the card, cake and flowers. The statue has also been commissioned.

Bondi77

I thought Kante had some energy but I reckon Bruno has him beaten.

Bondi77

That's precisely it. His decision making is very poor, and yet he seems to evade accountability from ETH because he was his expensive nepotism signing.
I think they call it football IQ but at the moment Antony is near bottom of the class.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've been a fan for quite some time - said from day one, that he was not the problem

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can guarantee that the "non-handball" against Palace player would have been given as a penalty against us...

Lost bear

Once again when Rashford is out injured, we end up averaging more goals per game than when he plays. And as a bonus, our attack is much more free-flowing. Granted, we could still have been more composed on the ball.

Instead of constantly trying to feed Rashford on the break, who will most likely wander into tight corridors or run into a defender and lose it, we now involve more of our attacking players.

Antony and Sancho aren't as quick as Rashford. And they may not be the perfect wingers we really need, especially Sancho. But, they add so much more to our control and possession of our entire game.

We often play better without Rashford.
Yes, he will often times score. But that comes at a cost of the rest of the team, just like it was with Ronaldo. When he doesn't play, we don't miss his goals... Because we end up scoring 2-3 goals anyway. And when he does play, everything has to go through him, at the cost of the rest of our team.

Rashford needs dropping more often.
I'd like to see him utilized more as a late sub, whereas he can use his pace to run behind a tired backline.

Granted, I know that's never going to happen, since he is our protected golden boy and local lad. We should be more ruthless, and put the team before any player.
That’s an interesting point, and some food for thought.

ManRed

What was with the ground yesterday? Lot of slipping and felt ball was a bit difficult to control around the box in the first half

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We had this exact same performance at home to Everton. And Brentford. And Villa. Total control, should have scored more, clean sheet with low Xg for the opposition. Almost like the commonality is being at home and not Rashford.

ifightdragons

This is going to be an unpopular take… really bizarre. Drop Rashford?
Why is it bizarre? Please elaborate, beyond "Rashford scores a lot", as I've already pointed out how we actually score more when he's out.

ifightdragons

We had this exact same performance at home to Everton. And Brentford. And Villa. Total control, should have scored more, clean sheet with low Xg for the opposition. Almost like the commonality is being at home and not Rashford.
That's a good and valid point. Our home results/form is a factor.

Rashford makes us give up more possession.
He makes us play more on the break, in favor of controlling the game in the midfield and final third.
He loses the ball more than any of our attackers.
Whenever he plays, he is almost the only one scoring, because everything has to go through him, at the cost of utilizing our entire forward line.
We are more free flowing and play with more link up to find clever spaces without him.
We average more goals without him.

The sample size could be bigger... but then again, that is partly due to Rashford being de facto undroppable, just like de Gea and Bruno.

Rashford is a utility player with a few key attributes, mainly pace and to a lesser extent, finishing. He is not a possession recycler. He is not press resistant. He has little to none defensive acumen. He actually rarely beats his man, but will instead run into defenders and lose possession while doing so. His strength is without a doubt, pace on the counter.

To utilize that strength best, without reverting our entire team back to destructive Mourinho/Ole-ball tactics of constantly trying to counter attack... Use him as a late sub against a tired backline. That's how we can get the best out of him, without sacrificing our playing style by funneling everything through a selfless and reckless-in-possession winger.

My honest thoughts. Most will disagree, and continue praising him as our golden boy and savior.

Oscar Bonavena

Anyone who watched the game yesterday and thinks that Antony is "the problem" in attack, and not Sancho or Martial, I really don't know what to say!

Redbandito

He's not first choice either when Rashford is fit, whereas Antony is, so there will be more expected.
While true, he also already produces more. Antony has clearly struggled to consistently make good decisions. He’s not been exactly clinical either, but he does create a lot of opportunities down the right flank for us. Obviously we need him to finish a higher percentage of those opportunities (the header yesterday was a total sitter), but I think the criticism here is too extreme. He runs like a dog defensively. He’s aggressive, physical, and brings a little nasty to this team. He’s not the finished product yet, but I like what he brings to the identity of this team.

glasgow 21

ETH has sulked everything out of this squad, we should not be sitting in 4th based on current performances. That said, good win today, we were very comfortable but I was incredibly nervous at the end because of our inability to kill a game off. Shaw was outstanding, Bruno very good and I thought Antony looked really good. My problem with him is his final decision in the final third but the improvement versus 6 months ago is good enough to make me think this kid could be special in the next few years. The space he gets into is incredible, he just needs to continue to learn to lay it off to a player in a better position, his assist tally could rocket if he did and we had a better striker. All in all, I'm happy, 2 wins from 3 needed to get 4th, 2 home games left too. I'm 70% confident we can do it but anything can happen.
Time , give it time. Mahrez, who some on here drool over and there is merit for that, however Mahrez was 25 when he scored 4 goal for Leicester and not until the break out year at 26 was people raving about him. There will be someone on here who follow french football who will state I seen it him before that but hey, who was dying for Mahrez to be sign in 2014-15 at 25. So given time let see what happens to Antony as he hasn't the anonymity to develop given his price tag. If his final decision making improves as you an all of us hope we could have a cracking player on our hands who wants to play for the shirt.

lex talionis

We have a Rashford thread for this discussion but comment here anyway on the point that’s been made that we should drop Rashford.

Madness. Sancho and Garnacho are not better footballers than Rashford. Perhaps in the future, but not today.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 197 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Man Utd 2:0 Wolves
  • 21% Man Utd 1:0 Wolves