PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

Al-T

Absolutely incredulous watching that. Like the last days of wreckit Ralph.

Did ten Hag actually have a pre season with these players? Looked like they'd been introduced over ale and a pie in the pub beforehand.

OrcaFat

If we buy a dm next to Casemiro then what happen to Mount? A bad experiment by ETH like Antony. 60 million to back up Bruno, it shouldn't be like this. Bruno perhaps should be the deep lying playmaker. Whatever it is, ETH better find a solution before the season comes unfold.
Don’t panic. It will take a while to bed in. We do need an Amrabat (or similar) to gives us some options but Mount will improve as well.

ManRed

We were second best for everything, poor in passing, poor in holding the ball, poor at winning the second ball. Only good thing was our pressing in the first half. Take the win but we need to be 10x better against Spurs to win there.

Wrecking ralf

Maybe try and compliment wolves for playing well and be glad we were had enough in us to keep them at bay. They played out of their skin and deserve credit. But we dealt with everything, yes we got lucky at times but we kept them out and won the game. Nobody, even their manager expected that performance out of wolves. It’s game 1 and we won in. Be happy and just expect an improvement from us

Gaidal

Dreadful game from us.

But we have time to find a new dm, and hope that Höjlund is ready as soon as possible.

Superden

Most dissapointed at the end, when they were throwing players fwd we didn't have the nouse just to keep the ball for even just a few passes and counter... Just panicked and tried Hollywood balls or dribbled straight into them.

Catalandevil

The midfield gave little support to our attack and defense. Case, Bruno and Mount looked very disjointed. If we want to make this formation work, we need to improve in three main areas i) press much higher in the pitch ii) Shaw will need to step us as converted CM in the build-up phase and during the first moments of the press iii) need to calm down a bit, all our midfields wanted to play too direct, and it never worked today

I trust ETH to make this midfield work. It’s the first game of the season. I hope we can bring another midfield to the team. The minutes after the goal would have been very different with Amrabat.

Kopral Jono

I agree. And I'm not even knee-jerking. Every other pass went to shit. Utterly terrible performance. They ran right through our midfield.

We need another midfielder.
Yeah, up there with the likes of 2018/19 Cardiff at home as one of our worst post-Fergie. Diabolical performance. I couldn't even celebrate Varane's goal.

Giggsy13

Off the pace and way too casual on the ball and with our passing. Absolute dog shite of a performance. I hope ten hag rips into the team.

Exmanc

This was one of the worst performances I’ve seen …we were so lucky.
The midfield was non-existent..we need a midfielder who can drive the ball..We need players who can win the ball back. ETH was outsmarted by a v avge mgr in charge after 4 days.

Sgreddevil

Terrible performance and we stole thr 3 points from Wolves. A more clinical team would have put away at least 3 or 4 goals.
Rashford has been seriously underwhelming. No composure or any decent end product from any of the balls that was passed to him. He played like an 18 year old and worse than a championship striker. We really need Hoijlund to be fit as soon as possible. We are so bad that we need a freaking Centre back to run up the final third to score a goal from open play.
Commendable effort though for our back 4 and GK to keep everything tight so that we still have a chance to snatch a win.

Shiva87

Terrible performance all around but 3 points to begin the season!

Now that’s out of the way, here are my thoughts:

1. Players were just casually walking about and lost sense of structure. Ten Hag won’t be happy.

2. Bruno and Mason have not developed an understanding. The number of times we had Wolves running through our midfield was abysmal. Bruno was much better once Mount came off and he knew his own role better.

3. Sancho was good and did change the game when he came on. Better than anything we had before that.

4. Too much focus on getting rid of the ball quickly - none of our players seem to want to work it.

5. Physically Wolves dominated us which doesn’t bode well for the season.

6. Hangover from preseason on intensity. Just not there today.

johannes_fd

Atrocious without the ball, and even worse with it. Our pressing, front three and midfield was so far below the level you could expect. Cunha looked like the highlight reel of Moussa Dembele at Spurs.

i understand subbing Martinez, 100% not an injury. But they were getting through midfield ending up 1v1 against our centrebacks which should be a very rare occurance at this level.

The Oracle

Bruno - continues to be frustrating in that he keeps giving the ball away.

Rashford - didn't provide any goal threat and as usual looks disinterested any time he is not playing in his favoured left position.

Camemiro - genuinely becoming a concern in midfield, he doesn't seem to be ale to tackle, and tends to make last-ditch slide tackles that never come off. He also moves about like he is running through treacle. Beginning to think that the Premier League is too fast paced for him.

When our three best players have absolute stinkers, we can count ourselves lucky that we came away with all three points.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That's 3 bonus points we really shouldn't have. Shocking display overall with Onana being the one bright spot (clumsy challenge aside).

ObscureBaguette

First game of the season, three points in the bag.

Okay, now that's out of the way, what an absolutely pathetic, spineless performance. All the usual problems were on show. Midfield was a horrific mess. The wide players refused to track back at all. Can someone please tell me what Ten Hag sees in Antony? He's just another Sancho - a big-money headless chicken who can't beat a man. The goalkeeper made some decent saves but looked really dodgy at times too. We need massive improvements on that showing when we face better teams.

CG1010

Two of our key players starting the season slow again - Casemiro, Rashford and Mount failing to impress. Garnacho faces a hard second season.

Samoerai Jack

Gonna take a second for this set-up to settle. Seems like it was a big rest after that endless season and the lads are slow to gear up. Still never quite felt like we'd lose this game even if the xg stats are shocking. Not overly concerned and I'd expect us to be up for it against Tottenham.

sixdwarf

Dire lazy performance lacking in intensity. Our midfield trio of Mount, Casemiro.and Bruno were bang off it.

Probably the worst I've seen Bruno and Casemiro in a United shirt.

We need reinforcements in midfield and an alternative to Casemiro. Amrabat is badly needed.

Giggsy’s left foot

Only pass marks for Verane, Shaw and Onana.
Several players looked unfit. Bruno, Casemiro, Martinez, AWB, all looked like it was the first game in preseason.
we gotta stop this tour before preseason. It’s just doesn’t work for us.

wolvored

I would start Sancho RW Rashford LW and bring Martial back for Spurs. We need to buy Amrabat this week and put him straight in alongside Casemiro for this game. I would drop either of Mount/Bruno on tonights performance.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
On the plus side: could have been worse, at least you got 3 points and not every opponent will display the level Wolves reached today.

Might be concerning how, seemingly, not much has improved in your overall play. But hey, first game of the season and all that.

sixdwarf

Gonna take a second for this set-up to settle. Seems like it was a big rest after that endless season and the lads are slow to gear up. Still never quite felt like we'd lose this game even if the xg stats are shocking. Not overly concerned and I'd expect us to be up for it against Tottenham.
Think we are still in pre-season. No fire.

Pickle85

Absolutely dreadful. We don't look when close to up to speed yet. I've rarely seen us run through in midfield so easily and our front three were poor. Good to see Onana start strongly and I thought Sancho did pretty well when he came on.

manichester

Mount will find it an uphill struggle at United, he was past his peak a year ago. He does not do anything at a high level and has a poor range of passing, does not complement Fernandez.

Hoof the ball

Help me understand the keeper issue in football.

1. A goalkeeper has full use of his body
2. An outfield player has limited use of his body

Therefore, the full bodied goalkeeper is biomechanically not the one who needs the protection since he has full physical capacity in both force and momentum.

Also, how is it that :-

1. If a static keeper is impeded by an outfield player with a running start and a jump which collides into the keeper it's an automatic foul, yet

2. If a static outfield player is impeded by a goalkeeper with a running start and a jump which collides (read clotheslines) with an outfeld player the keeper has nigh impunity.

The contradictions are all over the place. I'm glad we won, but.....like that?

samlee86

Seriously worrying performance. We don’t look like a team that has any clear style of play. Our players can’t put 3 passes together. There’s such huge distances between each player that every other pass ends up being a long pass.

Wolves looked like they had a better plan than us and they’ve only had their coach for 4 days. They should have scored 3 goals today. Cuenha terrorised our defence.

I have my doubt about Mount and this match only amplifies them. No coincidence we scored when we he went off. Seems to get in Bruno’s way.

Bruno saved our skin today. Sancho made a big difference after coming on.

ETH has a lot to think about. We were out played by a team that sold all their best players this summer and signed no one. If that does worry then I don’t know what will.

Mr Smith

Really poor and massively got away with it. Second to every ball, but I also don't understand what Ten Hag is trying to do. Fitting that a defender scored as no single attacking player was close to a goal, which is really worrying.

OrcaFat

That game, along with our general performance in pre-season, it’s not looking good enough. We are trying all sorts of new tactics that doesn’t play to the strength of the 11 players on the pitch.

Another season of chasing top 4. When will this club actually get involved in a title race? Spend, spend, spend and still no where near.
Yeah EtH is great but he’s not a genius. Some of his decisions don’t make a lot of sense from afar and they don’t all pay off. He does learn from what happens though and it will all click at some point imo.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw