CL W Champions League Group H

Young Boys 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 19 September 2018

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I like Lukaku, but at a club like Manchester United, lack of service isn’t always an excuse for our starting striker. Not too long ago we had a striker in RVP, who could score goals from nothing. Rooney at his peak too.
Correct.
I also remember one CL match when Ruud Van Nistlerooy had no service. I mean nothing, absolutely nothing.
He came to near hte half way line took the book and moved towards the goal and scored. He then scored another goal from nothing to win us the match 2-0. Basically, it was RvN who made it happen.

We need Lukaku to stand up, be counted and make something happen, even if it means he works the magic by himself, without any assistance. The guy is very strong and he needs to use this to his advantage.

Kent Devil

Well couldn't of asked for a better score line. (Well we could but that would of been greedy) Was getting slightly concerned at first that it was not going to be our night. The plastic pitch made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be. But after the first goal we did not play all that badly. Also did not expect Dalot to play as well as he did so that was a nice surprise. Hopefully he will continue to get even better and maybe turn out to be the steal of the century.

Reactions: SteveJ

Apokalips

Correct.
I also remember one CL match when Ruud Van Nistlerooy had no service. I mean nothing, absolutely nothing.
He came to near hte half way line took the book and moved towards the goal and scored. He then scored another goal from nothing to win us the match 2-0. Basically, it was RvN who made it happen.

We need Lukaku to stand up, be counted and make something happen, even if it means he works the magic by himself, without any assistance. The guy is very strong and he needs to use this to his advantage.
I agree fully and this has always been my reservation about Rom. He's a very good asset and has a great attitude but isn't quite true elite. In the tight big games you need to be able to make the magic happen or fashion something out of nothing...he doesn't try enough shots nor is he consistent enough with his touch to come deep and drive us forward.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
First half performance was disgraceful. Second half was more like what we used to do last season - mostly sterile control of the game with a few chances created. Hopefully the pitch was a big factor, because it seemed like what we'd worked on the past few weeks went completely out the window. Seems like we didn't work on set pieces for this match either. 0-3 victory is a very flattering result, a draw or 1-goal margin victory would have been fair.

Thought Lukaku was the worst player for us, messed up chances and did nothing much. Rashford was poor, did some good things and some bad, typically gets more stick than he deserves. Martial was complete rubbish in the first half, alright in the 2nd and got a deflected goal. Unpopular opinion obviously but I think it wasn't too far off his general performances under Mourinho - contributes little to nothing for most of the game, then comes up with a goal or an assist and gets everyone talking about his "great" form. Dalot had some exciting moments. Shaw was quiet but had some good moments near the end of the game. Fred looked far better against Tottenham (1st half), especially in terms of corner delivery. Pogba had a moment of true brilliance and was decent overall, MotM but nothing to shout about other than his first goal.

Also I'm not sure whether this is just because I observe United far more closely than whoever we play, but it seems to me that: (i) we're poor at retaining possession unless the other team sits off; (ii) we're very poor at regaining possession when we lose it; (iii) we have a lot of trouble dealing with teams that play with high energy and intensity; (iv) we lose out on second balls more often than not; (v) we're not good at long-ball even though we use it so much.

Gordon S

Is it funny or is it that the club/Ed and Jose actually do know what they're doing?
They know what they are doing ofcourse.
But, still, i don’t think anyone predicted that Luke Shaw would suddenly turn into one of the best lbs in the league after all the problems he had.

savais

Also I'm not sure whether this is just because I observe United far more closely than whoever we play, but it seems to me that: (i) we're poor at retaining possession unless the other team sits off; (ii) we're very poor at regaining possession when we lose it; (iii) we have a lot of trouble dealing with teams that play with high energy and intensity; (iv) we lose out on second balls more often than not; (v) we're not good at long-ball even though we use it so much.
I completely agree. The lack of intensity (Pogba was guilty of it a lot), losing out to second balls, losing out to 50-50 balls, and the poor decision making up front (especially Rashford, but Martial too). I have seen signs of improvement in the Burnley and Watford games, a few moments here and there, so they just need to be able to play like that over the full 90 mins. The biggest improvement was Dalot over Valencia.

Vadim

I'm happy with our progress this season. Yes, progress.

I was frustrated with Jose and the players after Brighton and after Spurs.

But our full backs last night made the difference. Shaw especially, who looks like he's really hitting form. His overlapping runs and general defensive play was excellent at times.

I like our shape. We're not messing around, chopping and changing systems and formations. It seems like we've stuck to 4-3-3 and we're going to keep playing this way (apart from Spurs, I can't remember if we played with 3 at the back?)

At times in the second half last night we had this shape:

------------------------------------- De Gea -------------------------------------

------------------------ Smalling --------- Lindelof -----------------------------

----------------------------------- Matic ----------------------------------------

Dalot ------------ Fred ----------------------- Pogba -------------------- Shaw

--------- Mata ------------------ Lukaku -------------- Martial -----------------

Both full backs attacking, high up the pitch and pressing their defenders - stretching the play and allowing Martial to do damage.

We do have to take into consideration that we were playing Young Boys but the pitch was difficult and we were professional. I like what Carrick and McKenna are obviously doing behind the scenes. I'm excited about the Wolves game now. Jose seems far happier too.

Enjoy these wins, enjoy the clean sheets and enjoy Pogba scoring worldies I say :)

Acole9

Outstanding
It wasn't the best watch but who cares, we got the job done, I would've been worried about our progress in the competition if we had lost. Fair play to them though, they kept trying for a token goal. They probably would've deserved one in all honesty.

M Bison

Supports
York City
They know what they are doing ofcourse.
But, still, i don’t think anyone predicted that Luke Shaw would suddenly turn into one of the best lbs in the league after all the problems he had.
He’s always had ability and Jose showed faith in him, that’s good judgement rather than good luck imo.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
For a team that struggles to maintain and regain possession, it must be baffling to hear we've had 54 - 58% in all of our games.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've just got home from the game, after spending yesterday in Basel. Awesome little trip, but fecking expensive.

The support was class, particularly for Martial at the end of the game. He stayed applauding us long after the other players headed off towards the tunnel. It was also surprising how many United fans were in the home end. Most openly wearing United shirts and celebrating the goals.

haram

Missed the game and just watched a re run. We played well, dont really get the criticisms of Fred either.

cyril C

For a team that struggles to maintain and regain possession, it must be baffling to hear we've had 54 - 58% in all of our games.
This is because he only watched the 1st 20min and off to a pub. Our 1st 20min or so was shaky, understandably because of artificial turf, and the opposition was pressing hard as well. It was not easy to control the ball under difficult and tight environment but we did manage it, with very little risk exposed in front of goal. Once we settle down it was a different story, that was how we start shooting. I hope Young Boys would continue such tactics and they might get lucky against the other teams.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 86% of 606 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 393 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw