Henry------------Shearer----------C.Ronaldo
---‐------------------Rooney
---------------Vieira-----------Keane
A.Cole------------------------------------Gallas
----------------Vidic-----Ferdinand
------------------Schmeichel

- Only PL era players.
- All at their assumed peak.
- None of these players can be in your xi.

PL has been going for enough time now to generate enumerate xi's - you might not even have any of these players in what you believe to be the best xi since 1992.

Notable omissions: Giggs, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Campbell... and so on and so forth.

Probably curious to see who gets picked/omitted with the majority of general consensus #1's in each position taken.

DVG7

Cech

Gary Neville
Van Dijk
Stam
Evra

Beckham
Scholes
Kante
Giggs

Cantona
Suarez

meamth

Van der Sar
Ivanovic
Terry
Sol Campbell
Irwin
Gerrard
Carrick
Hazard
Sterling
Berbatov
Ruud Van Nistelrooy

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Allison

Robertson
J Gomez
VVD
TAA

Henderson
Keita
Wijnaldum

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Chipper

Adulterer.
Cech

Alexander-Arnold
Carvalho
Terry
Irwin

Makelele
De Bruyne
Scholes

Suarez
Aguero
Salah

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

The player from the OP that immediately stands out to me is Henry. Bisakka, and Kante would attempt to sort him out. I consider him the greatest threat in your team.

With Ronaldo given the license to stay further forward, I'd look to double up on Gallas with Robertson and Mane.
And my defenders as a collective have enough athleticism to negate the electrifying pace of Ronaldo and Henry. Notwithstanding your attackers have far more than athleticism to their exploits.

Vidic and Rio are used to playing against traditional wide players. Mane and Sterling as inside forwards would pose the sort of issues that Torres did as a #9 for Liverpool. Mobile, technical, and will look to drag them out of position.

Your midfield is rather combative, as well as the tenacious Rooney. I would back my midfield trident to not get bullied.

Honourable mentions:
Essien, Salah

Alternatively Pogba brings creativity in abundance, especially when on his a game

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Cech
Neville Terry Van Dijk Evra
Kante Makelele
De Bruyne Scholes Hazard
RVN

Defensively rock solid with Kante and Makelele shutting down in front of them, whilst you've got so many chances being created for Ruud to tuck one away!

ctp

Hazard - Suarez - Robben Salah
Scholes - de Bruyne
Makelele
Evra - van Dijk - Stam - Maicon GNev
Cech​

Last edited:

King Andow

With the unpicked so far:

De Gea

Dixon
Pallister
Adams
Le Saux

Alonso
Lampard
Bergkamp

Bale
Pires
van Persie

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
4x1x3x2

GK: Alisson (gret all-round GK)

RB: Sagna
LB: Riise
CB1: Carvalho
CB2: Terry

DM: Makelele
CMR: Steve Gerrard
CML: Paul Scholes
CMC: Frank Lampard

SS: Eric Cantona
ST: Sergio Aguero

Eric's Seagull

Given

G Neville
Stam
Kompany
Irwin

Fernandinho
Silva
De Bruyne

Robben
Zola
Pires

Edit: Tried to pick players that hadn't already been picked or would have been quite different.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Van Der Saar

Evra
VVD
Stam
TAA

Makele
KDB
Scholes

Hazard
Cantona
Salah

Disclaimer : Far too many good CF's and LF's (Aguero, Drogba, RVN, Mane, Sterling...) and not many decent RF's which is why Salah gets in (for the sake of balance). Sexy team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Says all at their assumed peak in the OP though. I was tempted to put in Gullit.
Peak in the PL. So, for someone like Shearer, we're not talking about the immobile, battle-weary Newcastle version of his latter years, but rather the pacy, dynamic one who needed a flash sight of goal to fire a rocket in from 20+ yards out.

Pughnichi

VDS
Neville, Stam, Terry, Evra
Makelele
Kanchelskis Gerrard Scholes Bale
Ruud

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maicon and Robben were both terrible in the Premier league
Not his Bayern peak, and it fizzled out latterly with injuries, but Robben enjoyed a couple of fine seasons at Chelsea. Tore a lot of holes in opposition full-backs and provided a lot of the flair in what was an effective but rather functional attack.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Given

G Neville
Stam
Kompany
Irwin

Fernandinho
Silva
De Bruyne

Robben
Zola
Pires

Edit: Tried to pick players that hadn't already been picked or would have been quite different.
Funny that you mention Given. He was the first keeper that came to mind. My favourite EPL keeper.

UpWithRivers

Giggs------------Aguero----------Anderton
---‐------------------Zola
---------------Silva-----------Carrick
Le Soux------------------------------------Carr
----------------Adams-----Radebe
------------------Given

Not all fashionable choices but I wouldn't bet between the two teams

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd go with this cagey team. Not having a dedicated defensive midfielder shouldn't be a big issue with Scholes in his DLP incarnation & Essien at his incredible all-rounded peak (if it would've lasted for longer, I'd be very tempted to put him somewhere around Keane & Vieira). And, although I'd probably peak Stam ahead of either of Carvalho & Terry, you can't argue against them as a partnership, they were just perfect together. This team is sitting pretty deep and is hitting the opponent on a counter, so Terry's relative pace issues won't be exposed. Evra is a fantastic all-rounder with a proven chemistry with Giggs & Scholes and I went with Azpilicueta as he's probably the best defensive right back I can think of, not that there were many; a great crosses of the ball and pretty comfortable both centrally & out wide. Beckham's and Giggs' industry helps a lot with the opposition's star-heavy attack. Suarez acts as an all-rounded menace that he was, slightly off the main striker in Agüero, arguably the most clinical player in the league's history. There's enough different creative outlets from Scholes, Beckham, Giggs & Suarez to make sure that we'd score.

Agüero ---- Suarez
Giggs ---------------------------- Beckham
Scholes --------- Essien
Evra ------ Carvalho ----- Terry ----- Azpilicueta
Cech
Notable omissions:
VdS (Cech goes as a part of a Chelsea package)
Stam & Irwin — already talked about Stam & I just like Evra a bit more
De Bruyne, Silva & Toure — the latter 2 don't really suite this cagey style, the former can be put in place of Beckham, I guess. It can be argued that he is a better player at the moment, but Beckham is such a seamless fit

P.S. I'm not a fan of Vieira & Keane being put together btw. Just something is a bit off about it, I'm not sure that they'd bring out the best out of each other and/or that front line.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd go with this cagey team. Not having a dedicated defensive midfielder shouldn't be a big issue with Scholes in his DLP incarnation & Essien at his incredible all-rounded peak (if it would've lasted for longer, I'd be very tempted to put him somewhere around Keane & Vieira). And, although I'd probably peak Stam ahead of either of Carvalho & Terry, you can't argue against them as a partnership, they were just perfect together. This team is sitting pretty deep and is hitting the opponent on a counter, so Terry's relative pace issues won't be exposed. Evra is a fantastic all-rounder with a proven chemistry with Giggs & Scholes and I went with Azpilicueta as he's probably the best defensive right back I can think of, not that there were many; a great crosses of the ball and pretty comfortable both centrally & out wide. Beckham's and Giggs' industry helps a lot with the opposition's star-heavy attack. Suarez acts as an all-rounded menace that he was, slightly off the main striker in Agüero, arguably the most clinical player in the league's history. There's enough different creative outlets from Scholes, Beckham, Giggs & Suarez to make sure that we'd score.

Agüero ---- Suarez
Giggs ---------------------------- Beckham
Scholes --------- Essien
Evra ------ Carvalho ----- Terry ----- Azpilicueta
Cech
Notable omissions:
VdS (Cech goes as a part of a Chelsea package)
Stam & Irwin — already talked about Stam & I just like Evra a bit more
De Bruyne, Silva & Toure — the latter 2 don't really suite this cagey style, the former can be put in place of Beckham, I guess. It can be argued that he is a better player at the moment, but Beckham is such a seamless fit

P.S. I'm not a fan of Vieira & Keane being put together btw. Just something is a bit off about it, I'm not sure that they'd bring out the best out of each other and/or that front line.
Re. Keane-Vieira, I agree somewhat, although, perhaps you get an Ince-Keane dynamic and a perfect synergy if they allowed one another leeway. I also thought Rooney might'nt be the best in that position, but... it's ambiguous and superfluous enough that you've a support striker and midfielder in one, and Rooney is the A1 pick for the SS role even if not for the AM one, so yeah.

Not sure I like Beckham in this team - really would've gone De Bruyne over him unless switching out one of the forwards. Aguero and De Bruyne know each other so well, you're missing a trick not having them in the same side if we're talking about the synergy of partnerships.

Actually, looking at your midfield, it is a curious one.

---

On a broader note, the omissions of D.Silva and Cantona are curious in a thread like this.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Re. Keane-Vieira, I agree somewhat, although, perhaps you get an Ince-Keane dynamic and a perfect synergy if they allowed one another leeway. I also thought Rooney might'nt be the best in that position, but... it's ambiguous and superfluous enough that you've a support striker and midfielder in one, and Rooney is the A1 pick for the SS role even if not for the AM one, so yeah.

Not sure I like Beckham in this team - really would've gone De Bruyne over him unless switching out one of the forwards. Aguero and De Bruyne know each other so well, you're missing a trick not having them in the same side if we're talking about the synergy of partnerships.

Actually, looking at your midfield, it is a curious one.

---

On a broader note, the omissions of D.Silva and Cantona are curious in a thread like this.
I love Cantona, but he was a bit lazy off the ball, albeit being a hard bastard. Pep’s Agüero runs a lot and Suarez had an endless engine. Your point regarding De Bruyne/Agüero partnership is a valid one, so maybe I have to sub Becks here, it’s just that Giggs & Beckham is a go-to combo from the start.

I won’t sub Giggs for Silva here though. Not in a counter-attacking set up.

Pav1878

Van Der Sar
Evra
VVD
Stam
TAA

Gerrard
Lampard
Kante

Hazard
Ibrahimovich
Salah

P-Nut

Not his Bayern peak, and it fizzled out latterly with injuries, but Robben enjoyed a couple of fine seasons at Chelsea. Tore a lot of holes in opposition full-backs and provided a lot of the flair in what was an effective but rather functional attack.
Sure, but all time PL level, I just don't see it. I'd put Mahrez around the same PL level although Mahrez is obviously inferior if you include his Bundesliga performances.

Web of Bissaka

Torres
Bale Scholes Beckham
Carrick Makelele
Evra Terry Stam Azpi
Cech
Reasoning
ATK: F. Torres is probably at his peak the one that gave Rio-Vidic problems the most in EPL. Bale to exploit OP defenses with pace.

MID: No point battling a losing physical battle vs Keane-Viera (thus Yaya, Essien and Gerrard excluded) so bypass them with passings from Scholes, Beck, Carrick and Makelele. The latter three to help defenders a lot. Carrick and Makelele are crucial here to screen and not letting passes reach their front four.

DEF: Difficult to say because of their huge firepowers. But I think this defense lineup can minimize their attacks except CRonaldo, as I won't bet Evra winning on its own, so had to cut supply of passes to Ronaldo. Terry is fine handling Rooney, and Azpi with Becks can keep Henry quiet I hope. Stam vs Shearer i think is fine.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Sure, but all time PL level, I just don't see it. I'd put Mahrez around the same PL level although Mahrez is obviously inferior if you include his Bundesliga performances.
I thought it was to pick an xi that would give the OP's side a game. In other words, a reactionary side to the one in the OP. Maybe he can clear it up

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is harder than I thought.. a second team in and still no Gerrard, Lampard, Suarez or a host of other truly great players who have graced the PL since inception. I've even broken up the Terry-Carvalho partnership as I think Campbell is far better equipped to handle the multitude of threats and enables a considerably higher line.

Not entirely convinced by Essien-Scholes, but the entire ethos here is possession and frustration via retention of the ball as well as an extremely high press, so, in theory, Scholes' work is all about opening up the field rather than having to defend it (which would see him obliterated). Carvalho should also be ready and able to step into midfield for a period if necessary with Campbell sweeping from a high line behind them.

Aguero is also the kind of striker both Rio and Vidic hate the most, so he's a must.

------------------------Cech
-------------Campbell--Carvalho
Zabaleta---------------------------Evra
--------------Essien--Scholes
De Bruyne------D.Silva-----Giggs
----------------------Aguero

Henry------------Shearer----------C.Ronaldo
---‐------------------Rooney
---------------Vieira-----------Keane
A.Cole------------------------------------Gallas
----------------Vidic-----Ferdinand
------------------Schmeichel

- Only PL era players.
- All at their assumed peak.
- None of these players can be in your xi.

PL has been going for enough time now to generate enumerate xi's - you might not even have any of these players in what you believe to be the best xi since 1992.

Notable omissions: Giggs, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Campbell... and so on and so forth.

Probably curious to see who gets picked/omitted with the majority of general consensus #1's in each position taken.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There are two ways to go here for me.

One is a possession-based side that will reflect elements of what has made City and Liverpool so successful in recent years. Fortitude's team is made up of players who will prefer a more direct and vertical game, so there is an opportunity to take the initiative (to some hopeful degree).

Hazard - Aguero - Salah
Silva - De Bruyne
Makelele
Irwin - Van Dijk - Stam - Trent
Van der Sar​

I'd worry about Henry getting in behind Alexander-Arnold, but a more defensive-minded full-back wouldn't fit the team. The defence has to be able to operate from the half-way line and I'd fancy Stam/Campbell to fit well here, but Stam gets the nod because I'd expect him to have to cover Henry's inside-left channel which would call upon his RB experience from Serie A.

The other would be a more defensive and deeper-lying approach in the mould of what Mourinho and Benitez excelled in during the 2000s.

Torres
Gerrard
Giggs - Kante - Makelele - Beckham
Irwin - Terry - Carvalho - Azpilicueta
Cech​

Various proven partnerships - Irwin/Giggs, Cech/Terry/Carvalho/Makelele, Gerrard/Torres - to secure the synergies and off-the-ball understanding you'd want. Terry would have a cracking tussle with Shearer while Azpi has the best combination of defensive instincts and ability to defend a larger space of all the available right-backs. In the absence of any meaningful attacking threat from Gallas, Giggs can tuck in to bolster and squeeze the midfield alongside the two most dogged ball-winners of the pool. On the ball Giggs can pull wide to keep Gallas honest and stretch the opposition CBs. Gerrard and Torres both lethal on the counter and is where you'd expect the solitary goal to come from to win the game.

Reactions: Fortitude

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Torres
Bale Scholes Beckham
Carrick Makelele
Evra Terry Stam Azpi
Cech
Reasoning
ATK: F. Torres is probably at his peak the one that gave Rio-Vidic problems the most in EPL. Bale to exploit OP defenses with pace.

MID: No point battling a losing physical battle vs Keane-Viera (thus Yaya, Essien and Gerrard excluded) so bypass them with passings from Scholes, Beck, Carrick and Makelele. The latter three to help defenders a lot. Carrick and Makelele are crucial here to screen and not letting passes reach their front four.

DEF: Difficult to say because of their huge firepowers. But I think this defense lineup can minimize their attacks except CRonaldo, as I won't bet Evra winning on its own, so had to cut supply of passes to Ronaldo. Terry is fine handling Rooney, and Azpi with Becks can keep Henry quiet I hope. Stam vs Shearer i think is fine.
Just one objection here: Gallas, Rio and Cole were quick, with Vidic obviously lacking. Bale is very likely faster than any of them over a longer distance, but he's not quicker than Cole was and Gallas was extremely athletic at his peak, both for power and short-burst acceleration.

Just thought I'd point that out as one doesn't generally tend to think 'pace' as the way to get at 3/4's of a backline like that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I thought it was to pick an xi that would give the OP's side a game. In other words, a reactionary side to the one in the OP. Maybe he can clear it up
I lean with the latter, personally, as the counter team I put up was intended with what I believe are thorns in the OP's side.

Stadjer

Maicon and Robben were both terrible in the Premier league
Robben was great in the Premier League. Won a player of the month award and was part of a PFA team of the 04-05 season. Being terrible doesnt get you those things.

Real Madrid bought him from Chelsea because Mourinho didnt like all the injuries he had. Why would Real Madrid buy a injury prone player for a lot of money if he was terrible?

Although he was still a left winger in his Premier League days but i do think he would get the better of Gallas.

P-Nut

Robben was great in the Premier League. Won a player of the month award and was part of a PFA team of the 04-05 season. Being terrible doesnt get you those things.

Real Madrid bought him from Chelsea because Mourinho didnt like all the injuries he had. Why would Real Madrid buy a injury prone player for a lot of money if he was terrible?

Although he was still a left winger in his Premier League days but i do think he would get the better of Gallas.
Yeah I definitely used the wrong word in terrible, I meant it within the context of picking any RW from the PL era he's way below the top.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
Aguero Torres

Giggs Gerrard Yaya Beckham

Robertson van Dijk Hyypia Azpili

De Gea

El Jefe

I'll go for something different and think I can get a win

De Gea

Azpilicueta
Carvalho