Potential guard of honour / City title win vs United | Nope

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Funny thread this. One hand you got people who don't care at all, when it should. On the the other hand, you got people saying we shoudnt do it at all, which is incredibly short sighted and small time.

Bit like politics.

Minimalist

This isn't going to happen against City now though surely?

Unless United drop points at home to Swansea then it would be City winning the league by beating us? And if they drop any points away to Stoke or Everton, then even that's not on the cards?

EDIT: Seen someone already said this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah, if we beat Swansea there would be no guard of honor. the gap would be 16 points before the game with 7 to play.

But if we lose to them that day , they'll win the title at home, against us (unless they draw or lose one of their two games before playing us). hopefully, it will motivate the team even more.
Yep you are right a win for City would give them a 19 point lead with only 18 more points to play :(

Member 90887

Yep you are right a win for City would give them a 19 point lead with only 18 more points to play :(
Well, hopefully, we can show what we're made of and grind out a 0-0 like last year :P. that would keep them from winning it against us.

Cliche Guevara

Yeah, if we beat Swansea there would be no guard of honor. the gap would be 16 points before the game with 7 to play.

But if we lose to them that day , they'll win the title at home, against us (unless they draw or lose one of their two games before playing us). hopefully, it will motivate the team even more.
If we lose to Swansea the gap would be 19 points with 7 to play.

I thought it was stated we’d have to lose against Liverpool and Swansea for City to have a chance to win it before they play us?

Giggs86

This isn't going to happen against City now though surely?

Unless United drop points at home to Swansea then it would be City winning the league by beating us? And if they drop any points away to Stoke or Everton, then even that's not on the cards?

EDIT: Seen someone already said this.
So that's going to be one of those awkward guards of honor when the game ends, and when the players are back from the tunnel for the trophy presentation later we will have to stand there clapping like mugs? Feck this, we shouldn't be doing that.

Don't mind giving a guard of honor when we play a team who already have won the title when we face them, but drag our players after a potential defeat back to the pitch to give our fierce plastic rivals a guard of honor?

Minimalist

So that's going to be one of those awkward guards of honor when the game ends, and when the players are back from the tunnel for the trophy presentation later we will have to stand there clapping like mugs? Feck this, we shouldn't be doing that.

Don't mind giving a guard of honor when we play a team who already have won the title when we face them, but drag our players after a potential defeat back to the pitch to give our fierce plastic rivals a guard of honor?
Don't think that happens? Especially given we're the away side - we can just feck off in that scenario.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

We won't be doing that. Nobody has ever done that, so we certainly won't be the one making a precedent with City on the other side.

Giggs86

Don't think that happens? Especially given we're the away side - we can just feck off in that scenario.
Exactly, it should be a big no. I just don't understand why would we be giving a guard of honor if at the time of kick off City are NOT the champions yet.

Member 90887

If we lose to Swansea the gap would be 19 points with 7 to play.

I thought it was stated we’d have to lose against Liverpool and Swansea for City to have a chance to win it before they play us?
Yeah that's correct. good catch.

Minimalist

Exactly, it should be a big no. I just don't understand why would we be giving a guard of honor if at the time of kick off City are NOT the champions yet.
Nah we wouldn't.

This was if we had lost to Liverpool/Swansea I think (assuming City won all their games).

Giggs86

We won't be doing that. Nobody has ever done that, so we certainly won't be the one making a precedent with City on the other side.
I hope so!

That thread should be closed because there is no way that City can win the title before they face us, hence providing the only scenario in which we give them a guard of honor.

Member 90887

Not only that, they won't get the trophy before the last weekend of the season. that's how it works.

Member 90887

Yeah they can just run around with banners, party hats and shit.
I really hope it will motivate the player even more, it would be kind of embarassing to lose the title to them that day in addition to losing the game.

Minimalist

I really hope it will motivate the player even more, it would be kind of embarassing to lose the title to them that day in addition to losing the game.
Well sure Arsenal did it at Old Trafford which was kind of worse in a way.

Erebus

Sorry, and I know some won't like this, but it's simply petty to not do it. It will stick in my throat, but it's standard and as others have said won't be the first time bitter rivals have had to do this. Just do it and get it over with.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Personally, I couldn’t give a monkeys about the guard of honour thing. It’s not a ‘slight’ on us and we’d do it with any team. However, for them to win the title when they play us is up there with my worst nightmares. Our away support will have to endure the unendurable on the day. As a born and bred Manc, this really is a horror story.

Rista

It would suck if it happened but not doing it would be extremely small time. Also, if it makes anyone feel better, it could have been much worse. It could have been Liverpool.

Red00012

I hope so!

That thread should be closed because there is no way that City can win the title before they face us, hence providing the only scenario in which we give them a guard of honor.
This . People are still talking about whether we should do it or not. We won Saturday which stops them winning the title before we go there which in turn means we don’t do it . End of conversation.

Neuron

This . People are still talking about whether we should do it or not. We won Saturday which stops them winning the title before we go there which in turn means we don’t do it . End of conversation.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if we drop points before the clash with City (e.g. vs Swansea) then they can still win it before that game.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I’d hate to see them officially win the title on their turf, the night we play them.
So would Mourinho and, you'd imagine, the players. Hopefully if this is how they win it we use the embarrassment to drive us next season.

cu3

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we drop points before the clash with City (e.g. vs Swansea) then they can still win it before that game.
The only chance we drop points is against Swansea and if we lose against them and City win their game against Everton, the gap will be at 19 points, with 21 points still to play for. So, there is no situation where we have to give a guard of honor.

kps88

With everyone so worried about this, think of the flip side and how fun it would be if we beat them. Blue plastic flags, continuous shots of ex City players and Gallagher in the stands, and then we stroll up and beat them.

Imran Mamdani

IMO as much as i despise them, it's only fair to give the premier league champions a GOH at whatever match it ends up at. If it were us, we would be expecting the same. So, even though its our rivals, I think we need to put aside our differences, acknowledge their achievement for that minute or two, then move on - hopefully our players use it as a motivation to win the league next season.

Reactions: Penna

ZAGREB RED

Doesn't bear thinking about, but it is the correct thing to do. What is a much worse prospect is them actually clinching the League against United that day.
United doing a guard of honour is much preferable of the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyKills

It's a non-issue. The only way it'll become an actual issue is if we take the petty, small-time route and not do it.

If it gives the players any extra motivation, then great.

JohnnyKills

IMO as much as i despise them, it's only fair to give the premier league champions a GOH at whatever match it ends up at. If it were us, we would be expecting the same. So, even though its our rivals, I think we need to put aside our differences, acknowledge their achievement for that minute or two, then move on - hopefully our players use it as a motivation to win the league next season.
Don't despise them myself - would much prefer City to win the League than Liverpool.

City's success is meaningless really, it's just been bought with billions of pounds of unearned oil wealth. They play great football, true, but I just feel 'meh' about them as a club.

walkinhop

Don't despise them myself - would much prefer City to win the League than Liverpool.

City's success is meaningless really, it's just been bought with billions of pounds of unearned oil wealth. They play great football, true, but I just feel 'meh' about them as a club.
Same. As if nobody wins the title in a way