Potential Herrera Replacements

Lee565

Hector Herrera would have been ideal from Porto on a free but is now going to Atletico, I dont want to see the club wasting money on the midfield this summer so would look at free transfer in either Rabiot or two very unpopular ideas of David Luiz as a defensive midfielder or James Milner.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hector Herrera would have been ideal from Porto on a free but is now going to Atletico, I dont want to see the club wasting money on the midfield this summer so would look at free transfer in either Rabiot or two very unpopular ideas of David Luiz as a defensive midfielder or James Milner.
Luiz has just signed a new contract at Chelsea and Milner would never darken our doors. Liverpool and Leeds, no chance.

Dante

Average bang
McTomminay, Fred and Matic are good squad options.

If Pogba follows Herrera out of the door, I think we'd need an entire new midfield let alone a Herrera replacement.

Patrick08

Matic is finished looking at his performances this season, even against lower level teams. They totally got outplayed by Everton midfield the other day.

Dante

Average bang
Matic is finished looking at his performances this season, even against lower level teams. They totally got outplayed by Everton midfield the other day.
He's in bad form. Still easily good enough for the squad.

His legs haven't gone because he never had pace in the first place.

DomesticTadpole

Agree about Matic. Ander should have been allowed to continue in his position. Bloody Jose. Scott is a good player but just a bit uninspiring to me. That is probably where we are.

Patrick08

No, he is in natural decline. You don't get out of form for this long. It's been happening ever since he was at Chelsea under mourinho itself in his last season. He just had 4 good months here, that's it.

He can't even keep control against lower half teams and takes too long on the ball as a result we are too slow to get forward as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

If Pogba follows Herrera out of the door, I think we'd need an entire new midfield let alone a Herrera replacement.
Would agree with this, though Matic after next season I think will be gone anyway. The way I look at our team this summer, we need a starting holding midfielder and a starting proper CM who can control games. If Pogba goes, then we need to replace him as well. It's crazy that 10 years ago we were calling for improvements to our midfield, and here we are again needing a big overhaul with barely 1 season out of those 10 where it looked like it was fixed.

Dante

Average bang
No, he is in natural decline. You don't get out of form for this long. It's been happening ever since he was at Chelsea under mourinho itself in his last season. He just had 4 good months here, that's it.

He can't even keep control against lower half teams and takes too long on the ball.
So... you can get out of form this long.

redshaw

Matic McTom and Fred. Fred will play in his Shakhtar role.

Pereira will fill in when needed.

gr3yham3

Tielemans, if we want to change the way we play football. We need more creativity and better passing in midfield. Fernandes also works his socks off every match, though I think we will play higher up the pitch most of the time if we do sign him.

Won't be surprised to see Godfrey bought and converted to DM.

DomesticTadpole

He can't even keep control against lower half teams and takes too long on the ball as a result we are too slow to get forward as well.
Chelsea fans weren't weeping when Matic left because as you say they thought his legs were going.

Suvvernmanc

His legs haven't gone because he never had pace in the first place.
Hes in bad form by his own standards but that's not saying much. We need to improve massively and quickly. Ask yourself this, would Matic get in at any of the other top 6? Nope is the answer.

We need to be ruthless and get out the dross and Matic is in that bracket along with young, Valencia, Rojo and Darmian. We need Lukaku and Sanchez replaced with quality too if we can seeing as they have been shite for us. Sanchez would be ok if his wages weren't so high but Lukaku is not UTD quality. Not in a million years .

We need rid of these players asap to reach the next level. If we want to get back to the top we need alot more than what we currently have.

Manutd1990

With Fred, Perreira and Mctominay in the squad the need to replace matic is bigger. Ndidi please.

Last edited by a moderator:

bucky

Florentino Luis from Benfica is the one I am hoping for.

MrSingh2002

We are fecked on paper with Herrera defo gone and Pogba a possibility.

Matic, Fred, McTominay and Pogba to start a season is quite average for a premier league side.

Minimalist

A player to tirelessly track opposition midfielders and get involved with the play a bit? McTominay can do that fine.

Some serious overrating for what Herrera brought to the table, passionate as he may have been.

Lee565

Put Lingard in there, he's got a good engine on him, can carry the ball up the pitch and is a tidy passer, we can then use the money that was going to be use to replace Herrera towards improving our woeful attack and means that's one less extra rebuilding spot we would have to deal with, the last thing we need to be doing is giving Woodward more transfers to sort out in the summers with his incompetent track record.

settembrini

I think the Tielemans idea is solid. He probably shouldn't be our first choice for the position but if we can't sign someone brilliant then he would be a good plan B. Pogba/Fred/Tielemans with Pereira/Matic/McTominay as cover and competition.

Obviously if we sell Pogba then everything changes. I could see us switching to a 4-2-3-1 in that case.

Snafu17

Fred will have to seriously step up next season if he wants to he considered as even a squad option. He's definitely not a ready made Herrera replacement.

Mctominay genuinely looks a better option than Fred, but we'll still need a B2B, because we seriously lack energy in midfield without Herrera.