Potential Lukaku replacements

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Love to see us building around the talent of Rashford but we'd need another striker if Sanchez gets shipped out and Martial...well not sure at all what will happen with him!

Piatek- Love him but...
Jovic... isn't he Barca or Bayern bound

Who's in the next bracket? Are there any playing in the PL that could step up?

Jacob

Greenwood would probably offer an improvement

Canagel

Activate Memphis buy back clause+ new winger.

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

Vardy and Greenwood, but Rashford still #1 when in form. Think Vardy would suit our new style very well, and not so expensive or young as to block the way of Rashford and Greenwood.

TalentScout

Memphis looks superb but I'm not sure he would do well at Man Utd or should I say the premier league. Also if any other big club comes knocking for him I'm pretty sure he would avoid us.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would like to go for someone who is good in the air

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To challenge for top4 Rashford is good enough. To fight with City, Barca, Juve and Madrid for titles we need proven world class striker who will score 30+ goals at least.
Obvious choice is Mbappe who is out of reach. After him maybe Harry Kane, who is available but who cost 150mil.

Maybe Icardi.....maybe.

cyril C

What is the purpose of this thread? Why a Lukaku replacement, why are you assuming we can offload Sanchez? This is more remote than what if we win the CL.

Fosu-Mens

Greenwood would probably offer an improvement
Greenwood seems to be able to play in all the 4 attacking positions (ST, RW, LW, CAM). Either we specialize him towards a specific position (Complete Striker in a similar mould to Suarez/Firmino where his his well rounded abilities can be taken advantage of) or we play him where he is needed (similar to how Rooney played some seasons).

We already have Martial and Rashford as strikers (their best position), so selling Lukaku is not an issue. I would rather spend the funds we get from him more well rounded players.

Personally i do not think top clubs will go for Lukaku, as they prefer to keep possession (bar Real Madrid). In addition Lukaku is not good enough as a starter for those teams, and his fee would be to high to be a bench player.

the chameleon

If we sell Lukaku, I would consider the following options:

Max Gomez of Celta Vigo - looks like a solid and powerful centre forward, great in the air. We do need to have one player that's physical. He scores goals and is young. He would be cheaper than some better known options.

He would be a solid addition to the team. And a good like for like replacement with more potential.

I would then use the remainder of that money plus more and go for either Sancho.

That would leave us with an attack of Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Gonzalez.

They all offer different attributes and can all play 25-45 games a season without burning out.

Inigo Montoya

What is the purpose of this thread? Why a Lukaku replacement, why are you assuming we can offload Sanchez? This is more remote than what if we win the CL.
If you haven't heard, Lukaku is about to 'discuss his future,' in the summer.

Canagel

To challenge for top4 Rashford is good enough. To fight with City, Barca, Juve and Madrid for titles we need proven world class striker who will score 30+ goals at least.
Obvious choice is Mbappe who is out of reach. After him maybe Harry Kane, who is available but who cost 150mil.

Maybe Icardi.....maybe.
We don't need spending of 150m to build the attack. Liverpool spent on their whole attack what we spent for Lukaku only. The job is to find players that fits the system and take them before other clubs does.

Bobski

Go all in on Rashford but buy Jimenez from Wolves as an alternative. Good all round forward with a physical edge that can handle the battles of the PL while also being technically gifted.

cyril C

If you haven't heard, Lukaku is about to 'discuss his future,' in the summer.
How many years left on his contract? Only DDG and Herrera need immediate attention. If we have to look for replacement every time a agent dance, we need 10 new recruits every summer.....

BTW, Rashford is yet to renew his contract, do we need to look for his replacement as well?

paulscholes18

Go all in on Rashford but buy Jimenez from Wolves as an alternative. Good all round forward with a physical edge that can handle the battles of the PL while also being technically gifted.
Wolves only just signed Jimenez the other day :lol:

ForestRGoinUp

We don't need spending of 150m to build the attack. Liverpool spent on their whole attack what we spent for Lukaku only. The job is to find players that fits the system and take them before other clubs does.
Agreed. But it would help to have a DoF and/or a manager with some pedigree and a convincing style of play.

wolvored

Greenwood needs to at least be on the bench every game. If as someone has said he can play every position, why isnt he being given a chance on the RW when we are behind and dying for some different creativity. Is he injured at the moment? Got to be a better option than Mata or Lingard from there, who both offer very little.

Inigo Montoya

How many years left on his contract? Only DDG and Herrera need immediate attention. If we have to look for replacement every time a agent dance, we need 10 new recruits every summer.....

BTW, Rashford is yet to renew his contract, do we need to look for his replacement as well?

Him? I'm not in the least bit worried that we won't make him one of the best paid players at Utd.

Lukaku has 2 years left- you should really search for the interview, I'm not here to spoon feed you info on the club.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Maybe Icardi.....maybe.
Icardi's too limited for my liking, plus his wife is unnecessary baggage and has been causing all sorts of nonsense behind the scenes this season. I'd like someone with good build up and end product.

I'd actually quite like to see Martial get a run of games there, we've not seen him up front for an extended period since his first season. I think if we let Lukaku leave we'll sign a back up striker to Rashford or promote Greenwood instead of buying. Solskjaer seems to adore Rashford so I doubt we'll be looking at a world class striker to take his place.

Inigo Montoya

Icardi's too limited for my liking, plus his wife is unnecessary baggage and has been causing all sorts of nonsense behind the scenes this season. I'd like someone with good build up and end product.

I'd actually quite like to see Martial get a run of games there, we've not seen him up front for an extended period since his first season. I think if we let Lukaku leave we'll sign a back up striker to Rashford or promote Greenwood instead of buying. Solskjaer seems to adore Rashford so I doubt we'll be looking at a world class striker to take his place.
Plus he's a prize cnut!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Love to see us building around the talent of Rashford but we'd need another striker if Sanchez gets shipped out and Martial...well not sure at all what will happen with him!

Piatek- Love him but...

Rashford can't play at a top level week in week out, and yet you want us to build talent round him? Man our standards have fallen

BlueHaze

Piatek 100%. Anyone saying Icardi.. How could you ever want to see that dosser wearing our shirt?

Andersons Dietician

He is! Well suited to the Italian league, they'll keep him in the reserves for as long as it takes. Fans will eventually lynch him
Didn’t he score the winner recently on his return from the banashing. Anyway if, and huge if Lukaku was leaving then in dream world move heaven and earth for Mbappe but then Timo.

el3mel

Icardi.

Same type of player but better goal scorer and better first touch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Real tough one. Might just be the muppet in me but I think we need a proper world class striker at the head of United, otherwise I'll never be fully confident in us. I love Rashford too which is what makes it tough, along with there not being many options. There'll still be a vital space for him anyway.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are good striking options.

Buy Sancho and Hudson Odoi and we are set.

ST: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood
LW: Hudson Odoi, Martial, Chong
RW: Sancho, Lingard, Chong

JohnnyKills

Do we need a replacement? We'll have Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. For one position. If we get anyone it should be someone in the mould of Hernández - or OGS himself.

KennyBurner

Piatek- Love him but...

You typed this comment assuming rashford is a more important player to us than martial which is very troubling. If we sell pogba you do know our next best player is martial by a distance?

If we do end up getting rid of lukaku I’d like to see a forward 2 of martial and rashford. I don’t think the future of martial is on The wing because let’s be honest he is too inconsistent when trying to replicate the roles of a winger.

Chairman Steve

I would say Mandzukic for his versatility and experience (a lot of our current forwards and proposed new forwards like Sancho are quite young)

The big stumbling block is he’ll be 33 in May, but then again Teddy Sheringham and Zlatan have come to us and played fairly well in their 30s, plus Mandzukic would be a short term solution until some of our young forwards hit that 23-24 year old spot where they’re hopefully ironed out the inconsistencies.

EDIT: He’s signed a new deal with Juve in the literal last few days so bin that off, but someone like that would be great.

Godfather

Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are good striking options.

Buy Sancho and Hudson Odoi and we are set.

ST: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood
LW: Hudson Odoi, Martial, Chong
RW: Sancho, Lingard, Chong
Meh

SparkedIntoLife

It depends what we want really. If we want a first choice, we should be going for someone like Jovic or Piatek. Milan signed Piatek for £31m approx. so they won't sell him for anything less than £60m I'd guess as he's started really brightly.

For Rashford backups with a physical presence, we could do worse than Mitrovic actually. Other options might be Haller, Mateta, Weghorst, Zapata, Dyego Sousa, Ben Yedder or Josh King.