Potential Matic Replacements

UNITED ACADEMY

De Jong. He hasn't been all that impressive at Barca and I'm sure they'd consider a big offer. He'd transform that midfield almost immediately.
This is very deluded though. De Jong is still a regular starter in Barcelona team, Barcelona is not stupid enough to sell him now with Busquest & Rakitic are in their 30s & De Jong's dream club is Barcelona. It'll be Dybala all over again that even if Barcelona accept the offer, De Jong will tell his agent to refuse the contract offer. He ain't say yes to us as he's a Barcelona regular starter in midfield.

Mark Pawelek

Lindelof to be either replaced by Bailly or sign someone like Ibrahima Konate who looks perfect for the role next to Maguire.
Konate has been injured since 3 October 2019 with the same injury - torn muscle! I can't find any young, fast, tall, injury-free, available centre-backs playing in a top league! Good luck finding someone better than Bailly - who ain't giant-sized anyhow! I think we stick with who we have for the time being.

Adnan

Konate has been injured since 3 October 2019 with the same injury - torn muscle! I can't find any young, fast, tall, injury-free, available centre-backs playing in a top league! Good luck finding someone better than Bailly - who ain't giant-sized anyhow! I think we stick with who we have for the time being.
Konate has been injured but that doesn't mean he will stay injured. His injury could be due to being overplayed at a young age when he had to cover for Upamecano due to injury. But overall Konate has been fine regards fitness.

And you end by saying "good luck finding someone better than Bailly" are you having a laugh? Because in his 4 years at the club, there's dime a dozen CBs who would've performed better than him in the same time period.

Mark Pawelek

Konate has been injured but that doesn't mean he will stay injured. His injury could be due to being overplayed at a young age when he had to cover for Upamecano due to injury. But overall Konate has been fine regards fitness.

And you end by saying "good luck finding someone better than Bailly" are you having a laugh? Because in his 4 years at the club, there's dime a dozen CBs who would've performed better than him in the same time period.
Sure, Doctor Adnan.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

For my 50 cents opinion, I think that we have to understand that the DM job done by Matic isn't so expensive for energy expenditure as a DM. I think form willing he can be with us in a part time player for a few more years yet.

Remember that Carrick and Giggs played in CM into their mid 30's and other CM from recent history (Fellaini and Herrera) were in good form for us in their early 30's. If Matic is a good professional then his body will allow him to be a good part time man in a DM for us. Experience counts for alot in such a tactical role and its needed with our young squad.

I think if we are to replace the man with another like for like player then it's got to be someone who is experienced enough to play the tactical game for us and not an up and coming cmid.

Kingslayer18

Jude Bellingham has a very good defensive game. He definitely looks like he has all the CDM skill set.
It would appear they're targeting him to eventually replace Matic as DM. Although from articles I've read on him, he looks more like a box-to-box player. If they don't get him, barring them getting Zakaria over the summer, they should really go and target Camavinga. Similar profile as Bellingham, but already excelling as a DM and bossing midfields in France at 17/18. You can then rotate him with Matic and for him to take over once Matic's contract is up.

Reactions: Sultan

seegoblu

David Alaba would be a mobile, forward passing DM to slot into the lineup. He recently hired a new agent and wants the job Bayern just gave to Kimmich, so it seems like a fit here.

NoPace

David Alaba would be a mobile, forward passing DM to slot into the lineup. He recently hired a new agent and wants the job Bayern just gave to Kimmich, so it seems like a fit here.
I had hopes for this a while ago because we seemed like one of the bigger clubs that could still agree to make him a full-time DM.

Same reason you'd think we (and maybe Leicester) should be able to sell any RW not named Sanho on a starting spot rather than backing up Salah or fighting with Mahrez, Pepe, Ziyech, or Bergwijn/Son (dunno who the RW is) if we're talking Prem teams.

Alaba's play for Austria (from the little I've seen) at CM and how good he's been at CB makes me think he'd be great as DM partnered with Fred providing a nice platform for 4 attackers (Bruno, Rashford, the RW we need to sign and then Martial, Greenwood, James and hopefully a backup 10 like Grealish fighting for spot 4 and being the main 3 subs).

SambaBoy

I had hopes for this a while ago because we seemed like one of the bigger clubs that could still agree to make him a full-time DM.

Same reason you'd think we (and maybe Leicester) should be able to sell any RW not named Sanho on a starting spot rather than backing up Salah or fighting with Mahrez, Pepe, Ziyech, or Bergwijn/Son (dunno who the RW is) if we're talking Prem teams.

Alaba's play for Austria (from the little I've seen) at CM and how good he's been at CB makes me think he'd be great as DM partnered with Fred providing a nice platform for 4 attackers (Bruno, Rashford, the RW we need to sign and then Martial, Greenwood, James and hopefully a backup 10 like Grealish fighting for spot 4 and being the main 3 subs).
Alaba is more of a box to box player when played in midfield, in the mould of Fred rather than a DM. In saying that, he could definitely play that role.

But buying a LB for a massive price, and putting him in a midfield role that is not natural too him might be a risk. I know he grew up playing that position, and plays there for Austria and Bayern occasionally but I would rather just focus on a pure DM. I would still take Alaba for a box to box role as well if the price is right however.

NoPace

Alaba is more of a box to box player when played in midfield, in the mould of Fred rather than a DM. In saying that, he could definitely play that role.

But buying a LB for a massive price, and putting him in a midfield role that is not natural too him might be a risk. I know he grew up playing that position, and plays there for Austria and Bayern occasionally but I would rather just focus on a pure DM. I would still take Alaba for a box to box role as well if the price is right however.
I'm assuming Alaba is reasonable enough to acknowledge that if it doesn't work out and he's just average he'll move back to LB or be Maguire's partner.

We could also play 4-3-3:

-Rashford-Martial-RW (Greenwood, James, Striker)
----Alaba-Fred-Bruno----- (McTominay, Matic, a #10)
Shaw-Maguire-CB-AWB (Lindelof, Bailly, Williams, Dalot)

if he's one of our big 4 signings this summer and Pogba leaves. Bruno has been great in a free role but he plays there for Portugal and his crossing ands shooting mean he can contribute offensively from that deeper role.

Also worth noting he might enjoy playing as an LWB and the freer offensive role so be open to filling that space when we play 3-5-2 as we have in big games this season, and he'd be an upgrade there, with McTominay brought in and one of Martial or the RW dropped and Bruno moved up a bit.

Bondi77

Why wouldn't you spend the money and buy Saul.

Perfect age (25), knows United have wanted him for a very long time, decent chance Atletico may not qualify for CL (same for United as well), has big game temperament and success both in la liga and in europe and doesn't go hiding.
From what I have read in the past Saul loves Atletico and he has massive respect for Simeone.
The guy is at a club which pay massive wages anyway so I think the only way they would sell would be if we made a ridiculous offer and I think the way we are now we are not going to make ridiculous offers for anyone.