Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Andrew7582

Not quite so much, I think. They're in an awkward FFP spot by all accounts and will need to sell one of their big assets this summer. Looking on Everton forums they're talking a price of around 60m, which is pretty much what I'd expect any striker intended to be first choice to cost us.

All else being equal he wouldn't be my choice. But in a scenario where Ten Hag arrives and wants a #9 to replicate what Haller does in the current Ajax side (be an aerial threat for their many crosses, be a target man so they can go long when required, work hard out of possession, etc) while also scoring his fair share of goals then DCL makes some sense. Especially if you add in a perceived bias towards British players on the club's part. I don't think he's the best striker around but he is a very particular profile of striker who would suit certain teams. And signing the right striker for the way we intend to play is far more important than signing the best striker. Especially in an era where the player in the CF position is used as a foil for the rest of the team as much as the prime goal threat.

But as I say, he's only played 6 PL games this season because of injury and is reportedly injured again, so I'm not sure if he has issues in that regard.
He has 3 years left on his contract and is their best player. £60 million might be the price for normal clubs, but as soon as we go in for him the united tax gets added, just as with Maguire. If Everton really need to sell someone then Richarlison would be the more likely sale, he has less time remaining on his contract and won't be as difficult to replace.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has 3 years left on his contract and is their best player. £60 million might be the price for normal clubs, but as soon as we go in for him the united tax gets added, just as with Maguire. If Everton really need to sell someone then Richarlison would be the more likely sale, he has less time remaining on his contract and won't be as difficult to replace.
I actually think richarlison would be a better fit for us to replace greenwood as the RWF. He’s more hardworking too

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
After last night and considering in the summer we will be without cavani, greenwood, Lingard and possibly Ronaldo then I think we will recall martial and add a cheapie backup
Not if Martial doesn’t impress in Spain. There would then be no logic in trying to pitch to our fans that this is the man who we intend to lead our attack next season. If he gets 10 goals, then he maybe gives the club the opportunity to go that route.

golden_blunder

Staff
Not if Martial doesn’t impress in Spain. There would then be no logic in trying to pitch to our fans that this is the man who we intend to lead our attack next season. If he gets 10 goals, then he maybe gives the club the opportunity to go that route.
We may not have the money to do everything in one go, we may have to prioritise

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We may not have the money to do everything in one go, we may have to prioritise
A centre forward who can be relied upon to score goals will be a very high priority for any club. If we find ourselves needing one, I imagine it will shoot straight to the top of our priorities.

Realistically, we would likely need one of Martial and Ronaldo to still be here next season. With no Cavani and likely Greenwood, we cannot lose both of them this summer too, otherwise we’d have no serviceable centre forward option. We can buy one, but buying two is a bit much, and not even for financial reasons.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A centre forward who can be relied upon to score goals will be a very high priority for any club. If we find ourselves needing one, I imagine it will shoot straight to the top of our priorities.

Realistically, we would likely need one of Martial and Ronaldo to still be here next season. With no Cavani and likely Greenwood, we cannot lose both of them this summer too, otherwise we’d have no serviceable centre forward option. We can buy one, but buying two is a bit much, and not even for financial reasons.
This 100%. And Ronaldo is already showing clear signs of decline. I can't see us affording to lose Martial in this situation. He will have to come back. But we know he isn't good enough to be our #1. It will be really hard and expensive to get a world class striker. I doubt Harry Kane will want to join us now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This 100%. And Ronaldo is already showing clear signs of decline. I can't see us affording to lose Martial in this situation. He will have to come back. But we know he isn't good enough to be our #1. It will be really hard and expensive to get a world class striker. I doubt Harry Kane will want to join us now
I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘Martial will have to come back’. He will likely push to leave. Credit to him, he has shown he is not content to sit on our bench. I don’t see him in a hurry to return to such a role. I think it is probably Ronaldo we need to keep. He likely wouldn’t want to be a squad player either, but he’ll also not have the number if appealing options to him that Martial probably will to him, so I think staying would be his best bet.

We certainly need a centre forward. There aren’t many world class ones at all. Erling is of course the obvious choice, after that we have the likes of David, Isak, Osimehen, DCL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I actually think richarlison would be a better fit for us to replace greenwood as the RWF. He’s more hardworking too
Raphinha actually. If Pogba stays , we just need one DM in midfield. I will be happy with Toney and Raphinha as other signings.

I know Amad and Pellestri is coming but we certainly need some quality from right.

CR7, Toney and Rashford as forward options.
Sancho, Rashford,Raphinha and Elanga. Amad and Pellestri to go on loan.
Pogba, Bruno,DM, Mjebri,Fred and McT in midfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Darwin Nunez 15 league goals in 14 league start games. He also scored 3 goals in champions league so far. But I’m not too sure if he’s ready for our level expectation.

golden_blunder

Staff
He might have to do whilst we sort out the other positions. Unless we can snag a loan

golden_blunder

Staff
Raphinha actually. If Pogba stays , we just need one DM in midfield. I will be happy with Toney and Raphinha as other signings.

I know Amad and Pellestri is coming but we certainly need some quality from right.

CR7, Toney and Rashford as forward options.
Sancho, Rashford,Raphinha and Elanga. Amad and Pellestri to go on loan.
Pogba, Bruno,DM, Mjebri,Fred and McT in midfield.
I honestly think Pogba is gone.
im not sold on Toney either

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Did you talk about Patrick Schick yet?

He managed to carry his great EC performance into the Bundesliga and really seems to have made the next big step.

His finishing and runs are very good, but he's also good in passing, combinations etc, he's not just a player for the box.
If I tried to find a player with a similar style that you guys know better, I'd probably pick Kane.

I think an attack of Schick, Sancho, Rashford and Fernandes could work very, very well.

Here's a video (including the worst special effects I've seen in a long time) with some scenes from this season:

Andrew7582

I don't think Martial is going to accept coming back to be a back up/squad player, the world cup starts in november so he needs to play as much as possible. Unless we promise that he'll be the main man i don't think it will work. I also like the look of Darwin Nunez who another person mentioned, very hardworking aggressive player with some good physical attributes. He reminds me a bit of Diego Costa.

Richarlison is better on the left than on the right, just like pretty much all of our other attacking players.

NewGlory

He might have to do whilst we sort out the other positions. Unless we can snag a loan
Fair enough. Beggars can't be choosers, if we can afford him. Ideally, I would prefer to see Martial flourish under a manager that can fully extract his potential and make him consistent (if it is possible) and to grow a young striker alongside him. I've heard Elanga is actually a striker, from his academy days, despite playing as winger for us. If true, maybe he can be our future.

Kramer

What about that Dusan Vlahovic chap? Anyone thinks he will fit into our team well? I havent seen him play too much. Looks handy in those youtube compilations, but they can be so deceptive at times.

golden_blunder

Staff
What about that Dusan Vlahovic chap? Anyone thinks he will fit into our team well? I havent seen him play too much. Looks handy in those youtube compilations, but they can be so deceptive at times.
Didn’t he just sign for juventus?

NewGlory

We REALLY need to stop acting like Real Madrid, looking for "proven" galacticos for 100M + price and then taking multiple seasons to convince them + pay that much. There are great, much cheaper players on the verge of breaking out that we need to start finding and developing. Haalands, Neymars, Mbappes, Pogbas, Maguires, and Declan Rices of the world should not even be considered.

Translation: our recruitment SUCKS

Giggsy13

Jonathan David is not a pure no. 9 but can play in that role and has done well both at Lille and for Canada’s drive to the 2022 world cup.

Mainoldo

Jonathan David is not a pure no. 9 but can play in that role and has done well both at Lille and for Canada’s drive to the 2022 world cup.
So if he plays that position for club and country what else is he?

I mean I seen him for Lille and he plays that role as good as a number 9 should.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’s rubbish, never good enough for United. 4 goals in 18 this season, not exactly what we need - a striker that doesn’t score goals.
He is certainly not rubbish

Giggsy13

So if he plays that position for club and country what else is he?

I mean I seen him for Lille and he plays that role as good as a number 9 should.
He’s not a traditional number 9 in the mould of Haaland or Lewa but he’s very good and certainly needed with our sudden lack of long term options.

Giggsy13

The issue the club faces now is how we address the obvious need for a a striker in light of needing 2 midfielders this summer as well. That’s why I hope we aren’t prioritizing Rice or Phillips who will come at an inflated cost. Kessie or Kamara come to mind as obvious recruits, since we’ve already shat the bed and missed out on an opportunity to sign Zakaria on the cheap. A quality striker will cost over £50 million. If we sign Rice we’ll blow our transfer budget out of the water and we’ll be left yet again with more holes in the squad. One step forward and two step backwards with this club.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Did you talk about Patrick Schick yet?

He managed to carry his great EC performance into the Bundesliga and really seems to have made the next big step.

His finishing and runs are very good, but he's also good in passing, combinations etc, he's not just a player for the box.
If I tried to find a player with a similar style that you guys know better, I'd probably pick Kane.

I think an attack of Schick, Sancho, Rashford and Fernandes could work very, very well.

Here's a video (including the worst special effects I've seen in a long time) with some scenes from this season:
Yeah, I would take him. Think he would be a good fit with our forwards as you say.

jesperjaap

Would personally bring in Adeyemi, snatch him from Dortmund before it’s too late
Yes he looks like a quality player in the making, but from the press at least looks as if he will end up there....if so, how about Moukoko from DOrtmund, rumours of him not siging a new contract, prolific in the youth and playing games already and what is he, still 17? Must admit times I have seen him he hasnt really stood out in the bundeslegia, but he is only 17 an dyou can see the raw talent.

For me it would be AMine Giouri, liked him and mentioned him on here several years ago before he got his big injury. Only concern is the few times seen him at Nice, he seems to be playing out on the left more and cutting in...but he started as a striker and I think he is an excellent finisher. Seen him lnked to liverpool and City the last few months...please no

jesperjaap

Osimhen would cost way too much given the outlay they spent on him. He's an excellent player but I don't think we'd be willing to spend 100m+ on him.

Moukoko has been disappointing so far, constant little niggles here and there while also underperforming on the pitch. Time is still on his side but the megastardom he was touted for is not looking likely at all. I wouldn't pay the enormous price tag Dortmund would likely set for him.
No I havent been that impressed either, but have to remember he is just 17....and he onl yhas one more season on his contract, so wouldnt be a fortune I think. I do wonder with him if its a case of him beign so physically strong an dpwoerful in the youth games though, lukaku was similar yougner, obviously progressed but not to the player he was made out in my mind anyway.

Not seen much of Adeyemi but he looks a massive talent....and probabl yon his way to Dortmund, who are becomign a pain, Haaland, Bellingham and now possibly him (if we are interested) we all lose out on, all fantastic players.

In all honesty, outside the galatico signings such as a Haryr Kane/Haaland, I dont really see that many cheaper strikers to sign, its not liek central midfield where there are a plethora of them

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No more kids. We need someone like Bruno signing who can come in and do the job immediately. Tired of kids waiting to get to their potential.

SAF is the GOAT

Anyone knows Darwin Nunez from Benfica ?

CF, 22, 1.87cm(6'2) has 15G 2A in 16 Apps in the Portuguese league, 3G in 6 Apps in CL

Utd7

I'm hopeful Ralf can use his Red Bull connections to convince Adeyemi to choose us over Dortmund.