Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

jesperjaap

Oban
Ekitike
Giouri
Thuram

All good second choice striker options I feel and if we are spending £45-50m on Hoijlund....he isnt second choice

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could be a solid and cheap option alongside a younger striker if we manage to sell Martial.

NoPace

Re: Jonathan David,

I watched Canada-Panama, Panama are a fairly solid defensive side for Concacaf.

He really does look good in the role Weghorst tried to play for us. Presses really hard, but seems to do so in a coherent way with the rest of the team. His goal was about pace in behind and he should have had another tap-in or 2 but the balls weren't squared. Good assist to Davies on the 2nd goal. Could see him working well with Rashford with Rashford high up the pitch on the left and David sort of a false 9 type. He just does the simple things quite well. Defends, moves the ball really quickly to teammates and scores his goals by being faster than CBs over 20-30 yards and running down the middle to finish off attacks unlike a Martial. He's not the sort of player who looks special most of the time, but his goal record is pretty great for his age (clubs and country) and he completes his passes (97th percentile among forwards, 82nd in progressive passes).

Cons are that he's not good in the air and he's not as silky as a false 9 type like a Firmino (he's stocky and faster over longer differences), and there's so little room to navigate in that part of the pitch that we've seen a lot of players struggle in that role in the Prem. But if we're signing a young target/last shoulder of the defence type like Hoijlund, he makes a ton of sense as the more experienced #9 next to him with Rashford and Antony/Amad either side of him.

glasgow 21

Re: Jonathan David,

I watched Canada-Panama, Panama are a fairly solid defensive side for Concacaf.

He really does look good in the role Weghorst tried to play for us. Presses really hard, but seems to do so in a coherent way with the rest of the team. His goal was about pace in behind and he should have had another tap-in or 2 but the balls weren't squared. Good assist to Davies on the 2nd goal. Could see him working well with Rashford with Rashford high up the pitch on the left and David sort of a false 9 type. He just does the simple things quite well. Defends, moves the ball really quickly to teammates and scores his goals by being faster than CBs over 20-30 yards and running down the middle to finish off attacks unlike a Martial. He's not the sort of player who looks special most of the time, but his goal record is pretty great for his age (clubs and country) and he completes his passes (97th percentile among forwards, 82nd in progressive passes).

Cons are that he's not good in the air and he's not as silky as a false 9 type like a Firmino (he's stocky and faster over longer differences), and there's so little room to navigate in that part of the pitch that we've seen a lot of players struggle in that role in the Prem. But if we're signing a young target/last shoulder of the defence type like Hoijlund, he makes a ton of sense as the more experienced #9 next to him with Rashford and Antony/Amad either side of him.
Osimhen went to Napoli from Lille reports are they will go back for David when Osimhen moves on.

Rolaholic

Out of those options, I think Watkins would be the cheapest alternative that would actually be a big success for us.

Out of the big names outside of the PL Osimhen would still be my first choice but it doesn't seem that we have the money it would take this summer.

Not convinced with either Ramos or Hojlund for the money being quoted.

Castia

If our striker signing is Watkins I think I'm zoning out for the season

Talk about underwhelming it would be an absolute joke

gajender

Out of those options, I think Watkins would be the cheapest alternative that would actually be a big success for us.

Out of the big names outside of the PL Osimhen would still be my first choice but it doesn't seem that we have the money it would take this summer.

Good Luck getting Cheap deal from Villa for Watkins and the point about him being big Success I have my doubts he is what he is at the moment decent mid tier striker good enough to be rotation option but nothing more for a big Club .

He would cost a fortune and chances are we would still need to be in the Market come next season for first choice striker . Either get youngsters with potential at reasonable fees who can grow into the role or make play for the best ones .

L1nk

Will be a huge shame for the kid if Atalanta prices us out of a move for him, it being his dream to join us and all. Hard to imagine we’ll be back in for him again unless the stars align again as they currently are and we are in desperate need

Von Mistelroum

Some of Europe's top scorers this season:

Robert Lewandowski (Bayern München, GER)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus, ITA)
André Silva (Frankfurt, GER)
Erling Haaland (Dortmund, GER)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona, ESP)
Romelu Lukaku (Inter, ITA)
Kylian Mbappé (Paris, FRA)
Mohamed Salah (Liverpool, ENG)
Luis Suárez (Atlético, ESP)
Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United, ENG)
Harry Kane (Tottenham, ENG)
Gerard Moreno (Villarreal, ESP)
Luis Muriel (Atalanta, ITA)
Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg, GER)

Other than Haaland, any of them viable CF targets for a top club this summer?
We managed to get a top scoring striker in from this list back when the thread started. Let's hope we can replicate this in the summer!

jamesjimmybyrondean

How much exactly do we have to spend on a striker? I reckon 60m gets you Hojlund and with that we still need a decent stop gap which will be around 10-30m. While 70m - 80m gets the likes of Vlahovic, Watkins, Kolo Muani, Ramos, Lautaro.

So in short we are not spending less than 70m to sort the striker position this window

It seems like after Kane we don't really have a strong alternative. Tbf this seems to be the case with other clubs like Madrid and Bayern that are also looking for strikers

NoPace

Osimhen went to Napoli from Lille reports are they will go back for David when Osimhen moves on.
They'll have to change their attack completely. I haven't seen much of Raspadori but he seems not completely dissimilar to David so maybe that's their longer term plan anyways.

But they can't just stick David between 2 CBs, have nobody particularly near him and let him win battles with pace and height and shoot from wherever like Osimhen.

L1nk

This guys off the market now at least it seems

gajender

This guys off the market now at least it seems
So Chelsea have activated the release clause and now they are discussing the installment how does it even make sense , couldn't they negotiate it with option of paying the release clause in case Villareal doesn't budge as it was reported by Ornestein yesterday .

Amount of Guff Romano makes up just to pretend he is ITK on every deal is quite something to be honest . It's bordering on pathological .

Last edited:

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Only one player able to get Man United back where we belong and that is Kylian Mbappé

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Well even though that isn’t true - latest Athletic article says he is off the table regardless
We just do not have the pull power to attract those players any more sadly...

A 17 year old CR7 would not sign for us in 2023

NoPace

If our striker signing is Watkins I think I'm zoning out for the season

Talk about underwhelming it would be an absolute joke
If he was free then sure, I'd talk myself into him as a goalscorer off the bench and maybe he starts for a few months until Garnacho or Hoijlund wins the non-Rashford attacking spot that isn't Antony's on the right (or Amad or Sancho's, but likely Antony's), but paying a big fee for him would be nuts.

NoPace

My preference is Ramos he's 1 year older than Højlund who is overrated by our fanbase. Muani is good too but he's going PSG apparently.
Seems like Ramos is the better current player and all-around player, but Hoijlund has that extra bit of potential due to some extra pace, though I've only seen the Portuguese and not the Dane.

red.knight

I don't get why people are discussing very thoroughly the transfer of so many high-profile players with the current capped transfer budget that we have. Potentially because we need to sign players for a number of positions and are limited to 100m - 120m plus player sales. Chelsea want 80m for Mount, Spurs want 100m for Kane, Napoli want about 50m for Min-jae, Atalanta wanting 86m for Hojlund and then there's a keeper. If we get offers for Maguire, Bally, Williams, Fred and five others we've got listed, in the next week or so, then that 100m can become 200m and we can prioritise targets / positions. If that 120m is a set figure and we (theoretically) spend 100m on Kane but nobody comes in with offers for the rest; the budget is blown, we've still got a bloated squad and no money left for the other positions. Unless we are sold to Qatari, it would make more sense to discuss the available free agents to strengthen our squad. Rabiot, Tielemans, Thuram Mousa Dembele, etc. With luck, this summer represents massive change in the way we go about our incomings/ outgoings.

dinostar77

I think we will sign a sole striker this summer and hold out on getting kane for free next summer. ETH sees him as the ideal striker, so that gives Utd a whole season to mske sure he signs for us next summer and no one else.

dinostar77

Watkins has 2 years left on his contract. Unfortuntely Villa are on a upward curve at the moment and i dont think he'd any cheaper than than what Atalanta now want for their young striker (£80mil odd).

I wonder if Utd would look at a experienced/veteran striker (no idea who) for a season on the cheap. If Greenwood comes back thats 15 goals from him which should bring the actual goals scored by Utd closer to the expected goals metric (of which this season only everton and chelsea were worse).

Or we leave it very late into the window and just offer levy £100mil for kane and Utd accept they cant upgrade in other areas i.e. keeper this summer.

The-Mezzala

Would not be against this at all. Got an unbelievable record for Serbia and Fulham. Absolute handful in the box. Him and a Hojlund, Ramos type signing would not be a catastrophic window

Last edited:

El-Manos

If we’d end up with Onana/Costa, Mount & osimhen I would be delighted would probably be the best transfer window we could achieve this summer. The chances of getting osimhen are extremely thin I would imagine?

OverratedOpinion

I usually try not to be negative but for some reason I have the feeling we will leave this too late and end up paying through the nose for someone like Mitrovic.

-Supreme-

Aren’t we meant to be looking for two strikers with 1 needs to be experienced? Can’t remember who reported it now

Edit to say it was Laurie Whitwell reported it only 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: