Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don’t understand the “if we don’t sign haarland then we should sign no one”
What if he never signs for us? Do we just not sign anyone ever?
If our scouts can’t find a striker that fits our system and can score more than our current options martial/Cavani then I’m very worried
I agree, but I think its a problem with football full stop right now that decent stickers simply aren't been developed. you just have to read through this forum to see how thin the striking options are in world football right now.

Lemon Moon

Not looking forward to the CAF explosion when haaland signs for another team and not Utd. Though this thread was supposed to be a discussion on other striker options.

There are other strikers in the world other than Haaland and Mbappe. Rashford isnt the answer at no9, greenwood is still a teenager and developing his frame. Eventually he will be a no9.

We need a no9 who can holdup the ball, bring others into play, has some pace (though not most essential attribute) and guarentee 20 goals a season. There are strikers across the world either proven or with the potential to meet the requirements. Its whether any are suitable for our style of play, are affordable and obtainable and would like to come to play for utd.
Yes I agree,

What do you make of the hold up play and goal scoring records of M. Dembele & Poulsen?

& do you think they could fit into our team & league?

SirScholes

I agree, but I think its a problem with football full stop right now that decent stickers simply aren't been developed. you just have to read through this forum to see how thin the striking options are in world football right now.
True but the need is still there
As much as there are some educated guys in here, we have people employed to find a striker. If Amad can be found and signed we should be able to find a striker

i don’t mind signing a Cavani like replacement but the trouble is the age means injuries like we’ve seen and you aren’t garenteed to get a model pro like Cavani, for every one of him there are 10 Sanchez’s

troylocker

I agree with you on the price of Kane, Mbappe would probably be closer to 200m.

Haaland wouldn't be far off 150m either probably so if Kane & Mbappe 'will never happen' then by the same standards neither will Haaland?

I disagree with you on pretty much everything else;

Isak is virtually an unknown to me, but I have heard some good things recently, maybe others could elaborate if they consider him an option and why?

DCL is a fantastic striker in my opinion & has league experience.

Poulsen, Abraham and Dembele I think are all very good 'no. 9's' that all have different qualities to to our options at the moment (bar Cavani) in my opinion.

How would signing any of these lads 'instantly block any opportunity of becoming a title winning team anytime soon' ? Please explain yourself.

I agree with you completely with regards Martinez, all the strikers I named would likely cost an arm and a leg and out of them all, I feel the most unsure about him.
Let's start with DCL: He is young and might still improve, but he just isn't top class. Maybe among the top 5 strikers in England, but that is not good enough to win us titles. We need world class, not a goal per 180 minutes man.
Paulsen - Come on! Yurary is a goal per 270 minutes guy. 7 goals in 50 games for Denmark. We need a goalscorer, and he is not it.
Abraham - Got his chance for a team with similar outpout in the prem, doesn't score enough. Will not elevate us, maybe a decent squad option. Too expensive.
Dembele - Scored one goal in 18 this season, simply not good enough. 16 goals in a Ligue 1 season (His career best) is nowhere close to good enough for us to go for him.

Isak is younger than the others and has shown class at times, but is still very inconsistant.

Signing any of these will block signing another expensive striker.

SirScholes

Let's start with DCL: He is young and might still improve, but he just isn't top class. Maybe among the top 5 strikers in England, but that is not good enough to win us titles. We need world class, not a goal per 180 minutes man.
Paulsen - Come on! Yurary is a goal per 270 minutes guy. 7 goals in 50 games for Denmark. We need a goalscorer, and he is not it.
Abraham - Got his chance for a team with similar outpout in the prem, doesn't score enough. Will not elevate us, maybe a decent squad option. Too expensive.
Dembele - Scored one goal in 18 this season, simply not good enough. 16 goals in a Ligue 1 season (His career best) is nowhere close to good enough for us to go for him.

Isak is younger than the others and has shown class at times, but is still very inconsistant.

Signing any of these will block signing another expensive striker.
Why do we need world class?
I think we’ve only a couple times had a world class number 9 and that was ruud or rvp
We need a player who knows how to play the role, they need to be pretty good obviously but they don’t have to be the number 1 pick in the world if that player is unavailable

Lemon Moon

Signing any of these will block signing another expensive striker
Like who?

You said Kane & Mbappe wont happen, & Haaland is in a similar price bracket.

These are literally the best of the rest right now?

What I'm saying is these guys could offer us something different to what we have currently (bar Edi)

It's been proven that we can't rely on Martial, Greenwood is seldom fancied down the centre & Cavani is leaving end of the season.

(This is my 3rd post of the day BTW )

dinostar77

Yes I agree,

What do you make of the hold up play and goal scoring records of M. Dembele & Poulsen?

& do you think they could fit into our team & league?
M.Dembele I've not seen any of since he moved to atletico but he broke his arm didnt he? Thats probably why. Definitely has the movement, speed and strength required. Could he play and fit in Ole's Utd line up yeah for sure. Probably unobtainable as hes just moved to atletico.

Poulsen is interesting. More in keeping with physical strong target man who works his socks off but finishing isnt his strongest attribute. Not being harsh on him but a striker for an Allardyce system (hope that makes sense) from what I've seen of him. Maybe thats what we need, a selfless no9 who does the hard running and battles that allows the likes or bruno/rashford etc to play off him. Though does he have the fast feet that fergie found so important in strikers? I think not.

Milik is another one who is interesting. Different to Poulsen and Dembele. A more of a poacher. He does score alot of goals though. Can hold the line as well. Out of contract this summer. Not sure how hes doing on loan to Marseille.

Belotti hasn't been mentioned by anyone so far (i think). Can hold the line well and can dominate a CB pairing, great movement well. Works his socks off as well. Seems to have dropped off the hype radar. I like him. Though i think if he was available the big italian clubs would somehow find the money to buy him.

If Cavani leaves and we need a short term one season only cover, edin dzeko ? Knows the PL, knows manchester. Ok hes 35, but if its just to provide cover...

dinostar77

I think we’ve only a couple times had a world class number 9 and that was ruud or rvp
We need a player who knows how to play the role, they need to be pretty good obviously but they don’t have to be the number 1 pick in the world if that player is unavailable
Exactly we don't need World Class. We need someone who fits Ole's system and brings the best out of the players around him.

Problem unfortunately for any striker coming to OT is as Cavani has found, with "wide forwards" and not wingers in the lineup, service to the no9 is patchy at best. You could address this by having better service from your fullbacks. In our case Shaw and Telles can provide that. AWB is wayward with his service into the box. Hopefully Diallo/Pellestri and or if we do sign Sancho will help with service into the no9.

Nothing against Rashford/Greenwood/Martial, but their instinct is to shoot rather than cross or set up the no9 when they are playing as no11 & no7.

The point about RVN and RVP is a good one. When we have had a WC striker, our gameplan has literally become, find either in and around the box and hope.they can score. RVN was sold as fergie realised the team was too dependent on him for goals and if you shut down Ruud you shut down Utd.

SirScholes

Exactly we don't need World Class. We need someone who fits Ole's system and brings the best out of the players around him.

Problem unfortunately for any striker coming to OT is as Cavani has found, with "wide forwards" and not wingers in the lineup, service to the no9 is patchy at best. You could address this by having better service from your fullbacks. In our case Shaw and Telles can provide that. AWB is wayward with his service into the box. Hopefully Diallo/Pellestri and or if we do sign Sancho will help with service into the no9.

Nothing against Rashford/Greenwood/Martial, but their instinct is to shoot rather than cross or set up the no9 when they are playing as no11 & no7.

The point about RVN and RVP is a good one. When we have had a WC striker, our gameplan has literally become, find either in and around the box and hope.they can score. RVN was sold as fergie realised the team was too dependent on him for goals and if you shut down Ruud you shut down Utd.
You explained it better than me haha

troylocker

Like who?

You said Kane & Mbappe wont happen, & Haaland is in a similar price bracket.

These are literally the best of the rest right now?

What I'm saying is these guys could offer us something different to what we have currently (bar Edi)

It's been proven that we can't rely on Martial, Greenwood is seldom fancied down the centre & Cavani is leaving end of the season.

(This is my 3rd post of the day BTW )
Kane because he is overprice for his English passport. Not worth the 150M
Mbappe because he looks more interested in going to Spain than England. The RM move is scripted already.

The "who" I'm referring to is Haaland of course. Splashing 40-80 M on a decent striker this summer if Haaland is not available before next summer will in my opinion block the chance of splashing 65M plus sign-ons for Haaland next summer in the same position. We probably won't win the league next season either if we blow most of the budget on a decent option up top, so we should wait.

troylocker

Isak can comfortably be moved to secondary striker depth even with Haaland. He'll get plenty of games and it goes with Ole's vision of having two players competing for every spot in the first team.
Do you think we can splash that cash and Haaland cash at the "same" position with the holes we have at CB, RW and DM? We do already have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood in our books...

troylocker

The best one will be available this summer or the next. Of course Manchester United, with OGS at the wheel should be after him. And he would be a very important piece in the "winning trophies" puzzle. Unlike the other alternatives. We are not building Everton and Southampton here.

we don’t.

we can make players world class, or simply have very good strikers like we have always had.

OGS, Cole, Yorke (certainty before United), Sheringham, Saha, Ibra (at United) - none of these were World Class. Lukaku obviously wasn’t, but would want a far more appropriate striker than him.

i would argue that RVN wasn’t before he came to the club.

we don’t NEED to buy the very best.

SirScholes

The best one will be available this summer or the next. Of course Manchester United, with OGS at the wheel should be after him. And he would be a very important piece in the "winning trophies" puzzle. Unlike the other alternatives. We are not building Everton and Southampton here.
No but to suggest there is only one striker that any top club should sign is absolutely mental

so does that mean that if any team in the world signs a striker that isn’t Harland they are building Everton? So if real barca city juve psg if they sign any striker but harland they are settling for mid table? Don’t daft
We’ve only twice in my life time had a world class striker and that was ruud and rvp and we did alright , few leagues and cl wins I believe with Cole and yorke who weren’t world class. Saha wasn’t world class, Ole wasn’t world class
If the number one signing isn’t available we need to sign number two, or there is a real chance we’ll end up battling for a top 4 ...like Everton!

Matt851

Not sure how anyone could think greenwood should be our starting striker next season after watching that. Obviously a great talent but he doesnt seem to offer any presence up top

troylocker

No but to suggest there is only one striker that any top club should sign is absolutely mental

so does that mean that if any team in the world signs a striker that isn’t Harland they are building Everton? So if real barca city juve psg if they sign any striker but harland they are settling for mid table? Don’t daft
We’ve only twice in my life time had a world class striker and that was ruud and rvp and we did alright , few leagues and cl wins I believe with Cole and yorke who weren’t world class. Saha wasn’t world class, Ole wasn’t world class
If the number one signing isn’t available we need to sign number two, or there is a real chance we’ll end up battling for a top 4 ...like Everton!
I'm saying that if Barca, Real, Juve, City or PSG went for DCL, Poulsen or Moussa Dembele they wouldn't look like building for more titles. There are better strikers than these out there, but tier 1/2 striker are hard to find these days.

saivet

Problem with a lot of the options mentioned, I think we'd be looking to upgrade or get rid of them in a couple of years. Aside from Haaland the market doesn't look appealing at all.

Unless we can get someone in fairly cheap, I'd rather use the money for other positions and look again next year. I feel it would be better than forking out a shedload of money for someone like DCL.

SirScholes

I'm saying that if Barca, Real, Juve, City or PSG went for DCL, Poulsen or Moussa Dembele they wouldn't look like building for more titles. There are better strikers than these out there, but tier 1/2 striker are hard to find these days.
Ok so if there are better than those listed great we should get one
And not settle for no one, if those clubs came second by a mile and their only striker stunk with 6 goals they’d go and get a striker, and if #1 wasn’t available they’d get someone else
Going into the season with our same options up front and expecting a different outcome is crazy

NoPace

Might be a physical winger worth buying to play as a 9 or move Rashford there and force teams to sit back or live with his runs over the top.

I guess I’m referring to Richarlison or that Gonzalez fella at Stuttgart or less likely Ocampos or someone I’m not thinking of as a good candidate.

hungrywing

Regarding the bolded part, that's what any team with a WC striker will do. In the end it's simply all about doing whatever it takes to maximize output. Case in point Rooney's 'World Class' season(s) after Ronaldo was sold.

As for the RvN thing, it's more that SAF judged that Rooney and Ronaldo needed to move up in the pecking order. If one wants to get techincal, that the aggregate of their output would be greater than that of RvN's and that Ruud would have issues being able to sacrifice for this to happen (perhaps due to the well-documented rumored(?) incident)

Subtle difference, and the shut-down-Ruud-shut-down-Utd thing is still a very very small part of it, but the overwhelming driving factor would be the removal of an element that could stifle Rooney/Ronaldo's expression were they to have 'where is Ruud find Ruud' on their mind and were Ruud not able to make that adjustment.

Agree with the rest. Except in our case, 'having wide forwards instead of wingers results in patchy service to the no9' is more about Martial's limitations (which is also unfortunately then about politics due to the contract and Glazer)

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
True but the need is still there
As much as there are some educated guys in here, we have people employed to find a striker. If Amad can be found and signed we should be able to find a striker

i don’t mind signing a Cavani like replacement but the trouble is the age means injuries like we’ve seen and you aren’t garenteed to get a model pro like Cavani, for every one of him there are 10 Sanchez’s
I agree the need is still there. Personally I think the best option we have right now is play Greenwood up there as much as possible. It may not work out and there will certinly be slip ups on the way. But when their isn't really anyone obvious to buy except Haaland, I personly think in the long term it is worth the gamble

Godfather

We need top class that's for sure. Enough of throwing money out the window for average players ala VdB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was sceptical last year but he converted me into thinking he can be the guy we can rely on but he went backwards.
He’s not been consistent enough to put faith in going forward, this was his big chance and he blew it.
I want the club to move forward and starting with Martial as not only our main striker but also as our only striker would be suicide
Nope. It will be suicide because you can’t see beyond how he’s played of late - but if he returns to better form, of which he is capable of, and little reason why he shouldn’t - then it obviously won’t be suicide at all.

Haaland or nothing for me, given we have Cavani.

sparx99

Play Bruno as a false 9. He can drop off like Messi or Firmino in that role. He scores plenty anyway and he can just feed two of Rashford/Greenwood/Martial/Sancho running in behind.

Then play a 3-man midfield of Pogba, McTominay and Van DeBeek or sign Grealish and a DM.

SparkedIntoLife

I think it's clear we need more of a target man in the Cavani vein rather than yet another wide forward. Here's a few under the radar possibilities -

Paul Onuachu: 26 year old Nigerian international, 6 foot 7 (!), 26 goals in 30 games for Genk this season, improving all the time

Saša Kalajdžić: 23 year old Austrian international, also 6 foot 7, left footed, 13 goals for Stuttgart this season, plenty of room to grow into a top target man

Abdallah Sima: 19 year old Senegalese striker, 6 foot 2, 19 goals in 31 games this year (including 4 in the Europa League), bags of potential

Sardar Azmoun: 26 year old Iranian international, 6 foot 1, 38 goals in 57 for Zenit, 33 in 51 for Iran

Dusan Vlahovic: 21 year old Serbian international, 6 foot 3, not got a great scoring record for Fiorentina yet but is very highly rated

I'm not saying any of these are good enough for us. Haaland is far and away the best candidate. To be honest, I'd rather we kept Cavani another year and groomed Hugill/McNeill and contest for Erling a year later when it won't take silly money to do so. I think a club would have to bid 120m plus this Summer for him and with Covid's affect on finances, not many clubs will be able to do it. Haaland is a must get but I just don't think we can sign him. Especially not with old Mino.

dinostar77

I think it's clear we need more of a target man in the Cavani vein rather than yet another wide forward. Here's a few under the radar possibilities -

Paul Onuachu: 26 year old Nigerian international, 6 foot 7 (!), 26 goals in 30 games for Genk this season, improving all the time

Saša Kalajdžić: 23 year old Austrian international, also 6 foot 7, left footed, 13 goals for Stuttgart this season, plenty of room to grow into a top target man

Abdallah Sima: 19 year old Senegalese striker, 6 foot 2, 19 goals in 31 games this year (including 4 in the Europa League), bags of potential

Sardar Azmoun: 26 year old Iranian international, 6 foot 1, 38 goals in 57 for Zenit, 33 in 51 for Iran

Dusan Vlahovic: 21 year old Serbian international, 6 foot 3, not got a great scoring record for Fiorentina yet but is very highly rated

I'm not saying any of these are good enough for us. Haaland is far and away the best candidate. To be honest, I'd rather we kept Cavani another year and groomed Hugill/McNeill and contest for Erling a year later when it won't take silly money to do so. I think a club would have to bid 120m plus this Summer for him and with Covid's affect on finances, not many clubs will be able to do it. Haaland is a must get but I just don't think we can sign him. Especially not with old Mino.
Interesting post. Personally never heard of these guys listed so will look them up.

The haaland talk in general is just boring now. Really hope he goes and signs with some other club sooner or later so we can drop the talk about him. Its yawn inducing and cringe, "..if we dont sign haaland then lets not sign any striker ever again..."

There are plenty of options for utd other than Haaland. Lets face it if your haaland and you have your choice of club, we arent gonna be that high on the list. Especially if you want to win the big trophies. Not right now.

dinostar77

@SparkedIntoLife

Looked those guys up. It interesting the idea of a big strong target man as a CF. France used Duggary to great effect at 98 WC and beyond. France still use Giroud upfront now in a similar role. Juventus used to have Alan Boksic do that role. Sure there are plenty of other examples.

That is a question though, do we need a selfless CF who can hold up the ball and bring others into play? Or is it too anemic to Ole's lighting counter attack style which gets predictable and fails against low blocks. I dunno the answer.

Reddevil1978

Go all out and sign Sancho this summer 2021, this would hopefully mean Dortmund keep Haaland for another season and we go for him in summer 2022, he might be more keen to join us and link up with Sancho again.

Matt851

Nope. It will be suicide because you can’t see beyond how he’s played of late - but if he returns to better form, of which he is capable of, and little reason why he shouldn’t - then it obviously won’t be suicide at all.

Martial has been average or worse for at least 75% of his united career

Late last season was the only extended run of decent form he has put together so that was the misnomer, not this seasons form

SirScholes

Cavani isn’t going to play half the season and sounds like he is moving
He has had one season that’s been really good other than that he’s not shown he can lead our line.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Take a gamble on Edouard from Celtic?.

peridigm

Go all out and sign Sancho this summer 2021, this would hopefully mean Dortmund keep Haaland for another season and we go for him in summer 2022, he might be more keen to join us and link up with Sancho again.
Rather go for Haaland now and pass on Sancho. Haaland will have a much better return on our investment than Sancho will.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Cavani isn’t going to play half the season and sounds like he is moving
He has had one season that’s been really good other than that he’s not shown he can lead our line.
Last season was the first time he’s been asked to show he can lead our line. And he showed that the answer was yes.

If Cavani leaves, then the situation isn’t the same.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Martial has been average or worse for at least 75% of his united career

Late last season was the only extended run of decent form he has put together so that was the misnomer, not this seasons form
Yea whatever.

And even if that were true, it matters little. He’s 24, and has been here since he was a teenager. If he were ‘average’ as you put it, as a 19 year old or 20 year old - then it bears no relevance to anything. It was the same developmental phase that is causing everyone around here to be lenient on Greenwood, despite him being ‘average or worse’ this season. The hope is that he improves his form by the time he’s 23 I imagine, which makes it worth the investment. Which is exactly what happened to Martial. That’s the entire premise of bringing in players at 19.