Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

SAF is the GOAT

Manchester United had scouts at Benfica’s recent games believed to be keeping a keen eye on forward Darwin Nunez. @abolapt #MUFC ✅
I don't know this source but I hope its true

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Personally I'd hope we're having a look at Amine Gouiri. Well rounded, hard working, able to drift into wide positions & unlike a lot of the other strikers being mentioned he creates for others as well as himself so has an impact even when he isn't scoring himself.
Ha. I noticed him while flipping through random games. Good shout.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Am I missing something with Broja? He's scored 7 goals, why on earth would we be interested in him right now. He's got a few more years to even be considered at Chelsea.

The Firestarter

Am I missing something with Broja? He's scored 7 goals, why on earth would we be interested in him right now. He's got a few more years to even be considered at Chelsea.
He is a donkey, don't listen to the muppets.

CM

Darwin Nunez does seem the right kind of profile. Young but not so much so that he's green, and clearly able to carry the weight of expectation when it comes to goalscoring. The striker market looks pretty barren otherwise.

I really hope that with Richard Arnold, Rangnick et al in charge of recruitment in the summer we start making more signings like these, which make sense, instead of just going for names all the time.

BlueHaze

Whoever signs Haaland will be the winners. The rest are pretty underwhelming certainly for a club like us where expectations are high.

Rolaholic

Whoever signs Haaland will be the winners. The rest are pretty underwhelming certainly for a club like us where expectations are high.
Obviously the Haaland/Mbappe bracket are the cream of the current crop but unfortunately we aren't near the most attractive options for those players in our current stage.

That doesn't mean there won't be quality or value in the market for us and historically we've been a club that's prided itself on creating stars so finding a lower profile option and having them develop into that kind of player isn't exactly unappealing in my eyes.

BlueHaze

Obviously the Haaland/Mbappe bracket are the cream of the current crop but unfortunately we aren't near the most attractive options for those players in our current stage.

That doesn't mean there won't be quality or value in the market for us and historically we've been a club that's prided itself on creating stars so finding a lower profile option and having them develop into that kind of player isn't exactly unappealing in my eyes.
Historically yes, but for the past 10 years no. It's actually been the opposite with most signings being complete flops and nothing really good has come out of the academy except Mason and that went to hell fast. Hopefully we will sign smart for once but I doubt it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He probably came to the attention of our scouting network when he played quite well against us at the weekend

sparx99

Gouiri is another one that is considered an up and coming star. 10 goals in 24 games for Nice who are 3rd in Ligue Un. Only 21 but Benzema had similar kind of figures when he was young at Lyon. He also has 7 assists I think.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Gouiri is another one that is considered an up and coming star. 10 goals in 24 games for Nice who are 3rd in Ligue Un. Only 21 but Benzema had similar kind of figures when he was young at Lyon. He also has 7 assists I think.
Gouiri is more an all round forward, like Martial is, Mbappe etc, (not in comparing them in terms of level), but let's say he's not a real 9, more a 9.5 that looks effective with another forward next to him.

I'd say that we need a number 9, or someone that can lead the line, and I am not sure Gouiri can do it. Also, he was really rated at Lyon, he left early for Nice and last year was a difficult season. A move for him would not be good.

Telsim

What's the general opinion of Jonathan David around here? I think he is pretty good.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Isak would be great.. Proper baller! Amazing technique, can play upfront as target man, hold balls, he has pace.. Goalscoring record is not amazing, but Id way rather look at his intrinsic qualities as a goalscoring record in another league/team is never a guarantee..

I also like Schick from what Ive seen from his, but its actually too less for me to say I would want him at United..
Nunez has the numbers and the momentum going on, but never seen him apart from Youtube.. Will be curious to see him against Ajax in the CL...
Jonathan David Im not convinced from the times Ive seen.. Seems to tune out a lot during games..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wouldn't signing a target man type striker suit us best? Someone who could hold up play and bring others into play, providing a high level of link play.

I hope we stay clear of Harry Kane, because I don't believe he'll be worth it for the fee Levy will likely demand. Isak and Schick sound like the correct profile of players from what I've read on here.

Rolaholic

What's the general opinion of Jonathan David around here? I think he is pretty good.
Big fan, hardworking and skilled technically with quick feet + being a good finisher with both feet.

I rate him highly due to his all around game. He can do most of what you want from a striker quite well.

He knows how to make smart runs off the ball, can create outlets in midfield regularly and has good hold up play to compliment his strong link up play. He's one of the more complete young no.9's out there at the moment

PoTMS

Obviously Haaland or Lewandowski would be the dream but in the absence of a good alternative, do we need a number 9? How would we fare if we played Bruno in the Firmino role and brought a second striker or inside forward like Nunez? It would mean one extra body in midfield too as Bruno practically plays up front anyway.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Really hope we take a look at Rafael Leao and Jonathan David, really talented and hardworking young strikers (both 22) who won't necessarily break the bank unlike some of the other names being floated (Felix and Vlahovic before)
Leao is not a central forward, if that's what you think.
He's a winger, a wide forward who prefers to start his runs from the left flank like Cristiano.

Not a hardworking winger but a ridiculously talented one.
He's in the middle of renewal talks with Milan and a court case with Sporting.
If he doesn't renew then I think he'll get sold this summer but don't expect a bargain.
His stocks are rising meteorically. Even 80m might not be enough by the summer.

Alfie092

Darwin Nunez would be a good option I think but won't say he is good enough as of yet to immediately come in and be a starter. Hopefully Ronaldo can stay for at least 1 more season and Nunez or whoever this striker we are looking to sign, is given time to settle in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Darwin Nunez would be a good option I think but won't say he is good enough as of yet to immediately come in and be a starter. Hopefully Ronaldo can stay for at least 1 more season and Nunez or whoever this striker we are looking to sign, is given time to settle in.
This would actually be a really good option for any young striker. They can also play with Ronaldo at times as well, it would be really formative.

L1nk

Darwin Nunez looks a prospect as others have said here
Benjamin Sesko is also a good young striker and with Ralf's ties to Red Bull...
Aleksander Isak
Jonathan David

There's plenty of prospects I feel, maybe none that are the complete package just yet without forking over a lot of money

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I quite like Rafael Leao at Milan, getting low in his contract too

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Please No, I watch milan a lot. Has pace, some trickery but so damn wasteful. Plus, he isn’t your pure no. 9, more of a forward.
That's sort of the point. We don't need an old fashioned number 9 anymore. Flexible front lines are important.

He reminds of a bigger Martial that works a lot harder.

Also lets be honest, what other options are there that will be a fair price? we could do worse than Leao

432JuanMata

We need a ready now striker. We spent the last few years developing Martial and Rashford while signing Ronaldo, Ibra and Cavani.
We need a RVP like signing who is 26-29 in their prime

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We need a ready now striker. We spent the last few years developing Martial and Rashford while signing Ronaldo, Ibra and Cavani.
We need a RVP like signing who is 26-29 in their prime
Yep, we either go super young or super old.
About time we meet in the middle. :lol:

Jibbs

I want Raphinha. He has the potential to be as effective as Salah or Robben.

Jibbs

It should be between Nunez and Schick tbh. I would go for Schick because he is left footed.