Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

foolsgold

I wonder if we should be looking at Awoniyi? He looked a real handful today - big, powerful, fast and he knows where the net is!
Would be an exciting replacement for Martial if we ship him.
He's another lukaku, would probably score a few but not really fit into the system we're trying to build. The cost at this stage of the window would be eye-watering too. Yesterday just reenforced how important it is that we get some else in, Martial offers nothing, Rasmus is unproven and Rashford unsuitable to playing centre forward. It'd be negligent in the extreme to go into the season like this.

CM

His Fiorentina time was hugely inflated by pens and a hot finishing run... If you build off it then you can look past it, but with him it looked like a one off hot finishing season among an average to above average striker level.
Toney I was originally against due to us needing top end potential, but now that we have Hojlund, then Toney to rotate and be the other striker with Hojlund is good. He'll be 28 in March, so a decent age to balance Hojlund.
If you're talking about a player's success being inflated by penalties, 23 of Toney's 68 goals for Brentford have come from them, and 11 out of 32 in the Premier League. Far more heavily weighted than Vlahovic's 12 from 49 goals for Fiorentina.

Thankfully I don't think we'll go there but signing Toney would be symptomatic of the problems we've had for the last decade. A 28 year old (by the time he's next available) unproven at the very top level with a reliance on penalties to prop up his goalscoring numbers. No chance Brentford sell him cheap either. We need to be far more careful with how we use our resources.

RedUnited86

Santiago Gimenez from Feyernoord?

22 years of age, 23 goals in 45 games last season (including 5 in 9 in the Europa League), Mexican international. Could do a lot worse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If you're talking about a player's success being inflated by penalties, 23 of Toney's 68 goals for Brentford have come from them, and 11 out of 32 in the Premier League. Far more heavily weighted than Vlahovic's 12 from 49 goals for Fiorentina.

Thankfully I don't think we'll go there but signing Toney would be symptomatic of the problems we've had for the last decade. A 28 year old (by the time he's next available) unproven at the very top level with a reliance on penalties to prop up his goalscoring numbers. No chance Brentford sell him cheap either. We need to be far more careful with how we use our resources.
Agree, though to his benefit he has very good hold up play and I have more confidence that he'd succeed here as he's used to prem defences and is more aggressive than Vlahović. But generally yeah unless he's under 45m or so, it wouldn't make sense. Toney is decent, a good squad player, not the main guy for a big club .. Vlahović I think is similar potential, Hojlund has a much higher potential level which is what we have to aim for. We really need a world class attacker.

Bojan Djordjic

Santiago Gimenez from Feyernoord?

22 years of age, 23 goals in 45 games last season (including 5 in 9 in the Europa League), Mexican international. Could do a lot worse.
Think you have to be really really careful with players in the Dutch league. There's obviously plenty of good players in the Netherlands but fees for Eriedivisie players have gone through the roof lately and there's nowhere near the comfort that you get when signing someone excelling in France, Spain or even Portugal.

croadyman

Think you have to be really really careful with players in the Dutch league. There's obviously plenty of good players in the Netherlands but fees for Eriedivisie players have gone through the roof lately and there's nowhere near the comfort that you get when signing someone excelling in France, Spain or even Portugal.
True, any idea how much he would cost?