Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

SirScholes

We do need a top striker, which is why we want Haaland. Other than him, there are no ‘top strikers’ on the market this summer.
Then if not haaland we need a striker because we don’t have any but Cavani at the club

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Then if not haaland we need a striker because we don’t have any but Cavani at the club
Well we obviously do. But we’re doing some sort of ‘he who shall not be named’ thing with Martial I see. We have the one who got 23 goals or whatever it was last season.

RUCK4444

I get where you are coming from, but responses like this are so frustrating. The OP clearly stated that it was about potential strikers besides Haaland. It's not like any of us has any kind of sway with the actual decision-makers; rather it's a chance for discussion and for the uninformed (like myself for example) to learn about some other striking options (particularly those plying their trade outside the EPL.)
Yeah I appreciate that but at the same time my point is that there isn’t really any other top level no 9’s out there that are available.

Our spending is going to be hugely hampered by Covid, we have weaknesses in multiple areas across the pitch, we can’t afford to waste money on another substandard striker. So for me it’s Haaland or nothing for a striker, if that’s not possible then strengthen CB / DM / RW.

We have enough mediocre performing forwards.

redrobed

I think it’s plausible if Kane really pushes for the move - Levy could be tempted to cash in. It’s getting to the stage of his career where I’d question Kane’s mentality if he wasn’t desperate to go to a bigger club

dean simpson

If we aren't going to be Haaland next club then I doubt we will ever sign him so its now or never for me

If not him I think ole will move mason to the front and buy sancho

Sea-Cow

That base level is as good as we are likely to find on the market this summer.
You could be right. But my god that is disappointing. I guess the only comfort is that he can't possibly get any worse than this season.

And here's hoping that the City game wasn't a fluke and he has pulled his finger out.

Josep Dowling

I think it’s plausible if Kane really pushes for the move - Levy could be tempted to cash in. It’s getting to the stage of his career where I’d question Kane’s mentality if he wasn’t desperate to go to a bigger club
He wants to go to a club that wins trophies. I think we have as much chance of winning trophies as Spurs with our current owners, manager and players.

Lemon Moon

All of these would be an upgrade for us.

Kane
Mbappe
DCL
Isak
Poulsen
Abraham
M. Dembele
Martinez

Devil may care

There's not much in the market beyond Haaland and Calvert-Lewin, the best of the rest looks to be Andre Silva.

Bojan Djordjic

Kane is having a good season but really think he would be a dreadful signing for us in the Sanchez mould. We would have to pay a very very large sum of money, his salary demands would also be astronomical and he would be 28 by the time he would ever play a game for us. It just doesn't make sense and the majority of his tenure at United would be getting premium wages for a post-peak version of himself.

He wants to go to a club that wins trophies. I think we have as much chance of winning trophies as Spurs with our current owners, manager and players.
strongly disagree. How many trophies have we won over the past 5-6 years.

it’s not impressive, but we are far more likely to win something than Spurs.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Håaland and Kane are the only ones that would really improve us.

SirScholes

Well we obviously do. But we’re doing some sort of ‘he who shall not be named’ thing with Martial I see. We have the one who got 23 goals or whatever it was last season.
And next to nothing this season
Ole needs to challenge for the league next year big time, we can not afford to start with only 1 striker who has had a good season once and the following year had an absolute shocker.

Id prioritise a striker over rw to be honest, a good striker (not even world class) and 1 better option in midfield than matic/Fred and we’d of been up cities arse right now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And next to nothing this season
Ole needs to challenge for the league next year big time, we can not afford to start with only 1 striker who has had a good season once and the following year had an absolute shocker.

Id prioritise a striker over rw to be honest, a good striker (not even world class) and 1 better option in midfield than matic/Fred and we’d of been up cities arse right now
You’d do well to name an attainable better striker who hasn’t had one bad season.

And Martial hasn’t only had one good season.

croadyman

Agreed. The ideal scenario for me is that Dortmund retain Haaland an additional year, and we purchase Sancho this summer. We then join the pack chasing him next year, with that position and target being our clear focus.

I'd rather have an alternative position rectified as best we can, than half-measure it with a no.9.
Yeah I would like that to happen too but City & Chelsea's ability to spend big when others can't terrifies me and means we may have to change our priorities completely if that happens, in other words we need our transfer plans to be flexible because of those two clubs.

Andersonson

Funnily enough, I think Memphis would be a great option. Has been a top 3 attacker in France the laat 3 seasons, only comes after Neymar and Mbappe. He is the star for Holland, with van Dijk, a key player, grown as a person, would be free, no huge wages. Fluid in the front line, very strong, scores with both feet, works hard, creates for others, creates for himself. His first stint here was horrible though, think that massively works against him. But he was way too heavy back then, and misused as a winger whilst he's a wide forward.
I hope not. He has found his level

If we cant get Haaland we should break the bank for Kane

lex talionis

A shame this is a even an issue we have to discuss. This was supposed to be Martial’s breakout, finally free from the oppression of Mourinho and unleashed to wear and play the 9...it hasn’t exactly worked out the way any of us wanted.

If we can’t bring in Haaland then bring in Sancho and give Martial very clear instructions that he is expected to work his ass off. And if Pogba goes, which I hope is not the case, then use the proceeds from that sale to bring in Grealish.

There’s no other striker reasonably gettable that interests me enough to take over for Martial, unless we’re able to get a proper fee for him as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's nobody worth it. Martial is better than what he's shown, and Greenwood will improve and long term will be a striker. If we can get Haaland, you get him. If we can't, then we do everything to get Sancho and if not him, sort out the right wing with whoever else but finally address that. It's more worth it to fix the right wing and rotate Martial/Greenwood, then sign whoever else and leave the right wing unaddressed, unless it is Haaland.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Kane is having a good season but really think he would be a dreadful signing for us in the Sanchez mould. We would have to pay a very very large sum of money, his salary demands would also be astronomical and he would be 28 by the time he would ever play a game for us. It just doesn't make sense and the majority of his tenure at United would be getting premium wages for a post-peak version of himself.
Kane would be nothing like Sanchez, if he were to come it would be because he wants to win something and not just to collect money. I disagree his salary would be an issue as well as again he wouldn't be coming here for the money

The only issues with Kane would be the transfer fee and his injury record

Jezpeza

For me its haaland or we are a bit stuck. Maybe calvert lewin but will cost silly money.

i’d be happy for us to look at some younger options like Boadu or Silva but they arent going to be that instant world class dynamo they are more for the future which we already have a lot of

LoneStar

Not too many attainable options atm. So I'd go with a stopgap solution for cheap, and focus on RW and a CB as a priority.

KW2006

I wish we could get someone like Saha/Yorke. Not necessarily nailed down starter(like RVN/RVP), but a bit better than a pure backup player(Sheringham/The Pea), could do a very good job when the so-called 1st choice striker is out of form.

In other words, if we could get a Cavani who is 5-10yrs younger, I would be very happy(who wont?).

Someone may say, we already have a player like that in Greenwood. I kinda agree, supposing he would be more mature and ready next season.

Bojan Djordjic

Kane would be nothing like Sanchez, if he were to come it would be because he wants to win something and not just to collect money. I disagree his salary would be an issue as well as again he wouldn't be coming here for the money

The only issues with Kane would be the transfer fee and his injury record
Sorry but this is nonsense. You think Kane is going to come to us out of the goodness of his heart? He’s a premium player and would be one of our highest paid players as a result. And if he’s only in it to win things, why on earth would he come to United.
You’re also glossing over the fact he’ll be over 30 for the final three years of a presumable five year contract. Fans always want to think their pet player is immune to ageing effects but surely we’re still not making that mistake after seeing Sanchez, Falcao, Schweinsteiger etc. And Kane has had major injury concerns already.

Drz

Is R. Jimenez back from his injury? I'd say he is a decent option.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Danny Ings
Aleksander Isak
Memphis

I wouldn't mind Memphis back, as he has matured and gotten more consistent, wouldn't cost a thing and he can be rotated across the front line if necessary to spell rest for Bruno and Rashford. Otherwise, just move Rashford up top and get Grealish or Sancho for the wing.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Strikers are so shite these days outside a certain few

dinostar77

Suprised by the love for memphis on here. One of the laziest players i ever seen. Still cant forget away to stoke and rooney running past memphis who was walking back to go help his defence. Said it all. Wouldnt want Memphis back ever. Lazy martial 2.0

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sorry but this is nonsense. You think Kane is going to come to us out of the goodness of his heart? He’s a premium player and would be one of our highest paid players as a result. And if he’s only in it to win things, why on earth would he come to United.
You’re also glossing over the fact he’ll be over 30 for the final three years of a presumable five year contract. Fans always want to think their pet player is immune to ageing effects but surely we’re still not making that mistake after seeing Sanchez, Falcao, Schweinsteiger etc. And Kane has had major injury concerns already.
Theres a difference between being one of our best paid players and being on the type of crippling wages that Sanchez was on which is what you initially eluded to

As for why would he come to United? I would think that would be obvious, we've won more than Spurs have since Kane has been in their first team, we're a better team than them now so ergo he has a better chance of winning stuff here than with them (presently)

Baneofthegame

I would love either Kane or Halaand, in this climate with our money though, I don’t think we can afford either unfortunately, unless we sold Pogba + Martial.

rooney2009

Greenwood is going to be our long time striker,Martial is not bad and Rashford can play there as well
We need a creative Midfielder- Grealish and a top class quick defender and we should be able to challenge properly next season

SirScholes

You’d do well to name an attainable better striker who hasn’t had one bad season.

And Martial hasn’t only had one good season.
I was sceptical last year but he converted me into thinking he can be the guy we can rely on but he went backwards.
He’s not been consistent enough to put faith in going forward, this was his big chance and he blew it.
I want the club to move forward and starting with Martial as not only our main striker but also as our only striker would be suicide