Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Massively agree with this. Think there's clearly a bias, when there's a dearth of top class strikers and he's not in the mix of most people's ideal striker list. Got to be some reason he's not rated as highly as Isak, Schick, etc
Sweden have Ibrahimovic.

Czechs have a rich footballing history but aside from that you’ve missed my point.

Comparing European players when I’m talking about a Eurocentric bias isn’t making the point you want to counter my argument (if that’s what you were doing)x

US/Canadian “soccer” has consistently been under appreciated until more recently. I really hope that Canadas triumphant qualification for the World Cup combined with the talented crop of young footballers being produced will start to remove some of the stigma attached to North American footballers.

Edit: I read your post as sarcastic but if you’re genuinely agreeing then I apologise

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sweden have Ibrahimovic.

Czechs have a rich footballing history but aside from that you’ve missed my point.

Comparing European players when I’m talking about a Eurocentric bias isn’t making the point you want to counter my argument (if that’s what you were doing)x

US/Canadian “soccer” has consistently been under appreciated until more recently. I really hope that Canadas triumphant qualification for the World Cup combined with the talented crop of young footballers being produced will start to remove some of the stigma attached to North American footballers.

Edit: I read your post as sarcastic but if you’re genuinely agreeing then I apologise
No I was genuinely being serious! Don't know if you've read soccernomics or moneyball, but it feels exactly like classic undervaluing someone from a non-traditional nation. Fingers crossed that could be to our advantage, if someone like ETH really fancies him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No I was genuinely being serious! Don't know if you've read soccernomics or moneyball, but it feels exactly like classic undervaluing someone from a non-traditional nation. Fingers crossed that could be to our advantage, if someone like ETH really fancies him.
Then sincere apologies good sir!

Yeah I’ve read both and it makes it so obvious as to how clubs like Liverpool have managed to grow the way they have.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
In fact you won’t find a player younger than him that’s scored more in the top 5 leagues apart from the likes of Haaland and Mbappe who would be available to transfer.

I think he really suffers from two stigma French league and being Canadian. If he were a young French forward in Ligue 1 he’d be lauded as a really hot prospect.
French League is no stigma, it's the league that has been non-stop feeding successful top teams since 30 years ago.

The stigma he has is being canadian, if he was polish or portuguese he would be rated higher.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
French League is no stigma, it's the league that has been non-stop feeding successful top teams since 30 years ago.

The stigma he has is being canadian, if he was polish or portuguese he would be rated higher.
Id disagree there is certainly the view still amongst many that it’s a “farmers league” which I feel goes against any potential imports. I do feel the greater issue here is his nationality. He’s absolutely one of the best young strikers in world football right now and who knows he could be the best he’s going to be now or he could develop a bit more into a truly top player I’d argue he’s got the skillset to be a very good signing with the right coaching.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Id disagree there is certainly the view still amongst many that it’s a “farmers league” which I feel goes against any potential imports. I do feel the greater issue here is his nationality. He’s absolutely one of the best young strikers in world football right now and who knows he could be the best he’s going to be now or he could develop a bit more into a truly top player I’d argue he’s got the skillset to be a very good signing with the right coaching.
Yet successful top teams still go to Ligue 1 to get players.
What some clowns think online doesn't reflect the real world, big reminder that not even 10% of the population use social media.

Imagine thinking that professional scouts browse Twitter or online Forums , and base his signs on what an overweight man (who never played profesional Football) think about a league or a player.
If that was the case Haaland would still be playing in Norway, Alphonse Davies would still be in the MLS, Weston Mackennie would still be in USA, Son would still be in Korea, etc

And NO, playing in Ligue 1 doesn't stop any signing, not in the real world at least...Twitter isn't the real world.
I think it's the other way around, Ligue 1 boosts the reputation of players with potential, given how many players the league have sold to top successful teams.

Bwuk

I couldn’t care less if he’s Canadian. He’s got 13 in 30 games in France. It’s impressive but not outstanding.

If anything him bring Canadian would be a bonus. Natural English speaker.

onemanarmy

I couldn’t care less if he’s Canadian. He’s got 13 in 30 games in France. It’s impressive but not outstanding.

Maybe, can be French too

To me David isn't an in and out striker. False 9 maybe. Good player though.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Tbf, he only has 2 less goals than Mbappé, who plays in the same league.

He has potential, but every sign it's a risk, even with young talented player

roseguy64

Tbf, he only has 2 less goals than Mbappé, who plays in the same league.

He has potential, but every sign it's a risk, even with young talented player
Mbappe has scored 33, 18 and 27 in the league previously though. Someone putting up those numbers like himself or Haaland are who we should go all out for.

Any of the others, whichever one fits the budget best. They could go either way. None is guaranteed like those two.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yet successful top teams still go to Ligue 1 to get players.
What some clowns think online doesn't reflect the real world, big reminder that not even 10% of the population use social media.

Imagine thinking that professional scouts browse Twitter or online Forums , and base his signs on what an overweight man (who never played profesional Football) think about a league or a player.
If that was the case Haaland would still be playing in Norway, Alphonse Davies would still be in the MLS, Weston Mackennie would still be in USA, Son would still be in Korea, etc

And NO, playing in Ligue 1 doesn't stop any signing, not in the real world at least...Twitter isn't the real world.
I think it's the other way around, Ligue 1 boosts the reputation of players with potential, given how many players the league have sold to top successful teams.
I wasn’t talking about top scouts I was referring to fan forum opinion/ average PL viewer opinion. Many fans on here will turn their nose up at a player like David despite him being a Ligue 1 winner against the odds with Lille last season and having a good season at only 21/22 this season too.

Did I say that his nationality would stop a signing? Nope merely that opinion surrounding someone like him is too often influenced by negative stigma. I’m glad to see you’re enlightened though.

Giggsforever

Martin Terrier would be my pick. He has a great shot, technical, passing and includes players really well in attack.

sparx99

Considering Alphonso Davies is in the conversation as the best LB in the World I don’t think it’s being Canadian that is the stigma.

If anything it’s playing for Lille. They were a defensive team under Galtier and they made little impact in the CL. If David was playing for Ajax or Benfica or another well regarded European team from secondary leagues then he’d have a jugera profile. Lille just aren’t very fashionable.

Zoo

Osimhen is who I’d go for. The problem is De Laurentiis will ask for a lot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So if we assume ETH will be the new manager as appears likely, what type of CF do we think he'll want?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
DCL says hi
He had occurred to me but his fitness issues aren't a positive.

In a (possibly) similar vein I've heard good things about this 6ft 5 Scamacca kid but I've literally never seen him play so god knows if he's actually any good.

I'm just assuming ETH would want a target man though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

In a (possibly) similar vein I've heard good things about this 6ft 5 Scamacca kid but I've literally never seen him play so god knows if he's actually any good.

He's actually my number 1 choice for Arsenal now. However I fear we'll go down the more obvious Calvert-Lewin route, & I'm certainly not as enthused about that.

JohnnyLaw

Looks like a very valid option to me.
A proper CF and target man which is an option we really lack in the squad and have done for some time.
Have to say though, he moves very well on and off the ball for a 195 cm tall guy.

Good defensive stats on him aswell which could be a factor.
It was suggested that ETH was a fan of Jonathan David for his pressing, an area that Scamacca also scores quite high.

Then again, talians outside of Italy..

didz

We need a no-nonsense #9. We've got a load of players who could make magic happen in a decent system, but there's no hat from which to pull the rabbit.

Someone like Mandzukic when he was at Juve is what I'd be after. Handful for defenders, works his arse off and just does those #9 things that #9's should do.

There must be someone like that around?

jesperjaap

Is there no forward under 25 other than Haaland who's been putting up 20+ goals for at least 2 straight seasons?
Although would obviously like a goal scorer that gets goals, dont think that should be the maim focus this summer.

Lets be honest, though past his best for sure by a long way, if we created more chances Ronaldo would still have ahealthy record. Striker cant score goals without being provided opportunities.

Not sure I see enough of an improvement will be made over the summer even wth a freat window that a striker will score a shed load of goals, even a top finisher. I think we need other attributes higher than a finisher this summer. Technique, aility to hold the ball up, run with it, press. WOul dsay outside of RVN, Cole and to a lesser extent SOlkjear we havent really had many out and out goalscorers up front and we have had some wonderful strikers like RVP, Tevez, Yorke, Rooney....of course none have really had to play up front on there own so much though

Sea-Cow

He would be a brilliant signing to be honest. He is so underrated.
Maybe its proving your point, but I don't rate him at all. Maybe at a decent price as a back-up option, or a "throw him on at the end of games when we desperately need something" option. But I have to believe that we can sign someone better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Joao Felix is worth big money. If we are prepared to spend £100m+ on Kanye, then I see Felix as being able to do similar things here. The only thing is, like Kanye, he needs another goalscorer in the front line who can run beyond him at times. That player isn’t going to be Sancho, and as long as Sancho continues on the left - it’s unlikely to be Rashford either. Elanga should not be in our first team. So while ai rate Felix highly, similarly to the Spurs man - signing him must be done in tandem with getting the right RW player. Unless MG is freed from jail, in which case he’d be perfect of course.

jesperjaap

Martin Terrier would be my pick. He has a great shot, technical, passing and includes players really well in attack.
Been really good last couple of seasons and a good player. For me, I put him int he same category as Schlik. Think they hav eboth peaked in terms of development and performance, either would be a really good second choice signing, but I dont see them being a really good first choice striker.

For me its Giouri in terms of pure talent and offering us something different and potential star quality. Another seen a couple of tiem srecently is Ekitike, looks a bit raw but there is a little bit of a young Henry at Monaco and a little bit of Rashford about him, if all of our options at the moment Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, ROnaldo, Cavani are all moved, he would be my ideal second choice striker. Id rather Giouri and Ekitike than shelling out so much on Nunez, Osimhen for example who both look good but not great from little Ive seen of them and would cost more than Giouri AND Ekitike

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If you had to sign a young PL striker, which one would it be?

Let's take "young" to mean mid-20's and below.

Dong Fangzhuo

If you had to sign a young PL striker, which one would it be?

Let's take "young" to mean mid-20's and below.
DCL or Broja? I can't really think of anyone else that fits that description that makes much sense for us. Maybe Edouard or one of the watford guys? None of them would be particularly exciting.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Osimhen would be my preferred option of everyone I've actually seen enough to have an opinion on but I suspect he'd cost way too much.

r0663664

Worships Man City

Looks good in the video. If he is inexpensive, definitely worth a punt.