Potential striker targets for the summer

Mcking

Remember when Rashford was banging in the goals and we were creating threads like Rooney, all-time topscorer etc? Yup, that is what he could do with a proper coach, and I'm no fan of his. Having said that, I'm open to a Lukaku-Icardi swap + cash if need be.

spenzo

Is Callum Wilson not allowed to be an option?
I was just coming in here to mention him. Think this would be a really smart move, which is why of course it won't happen. Even if just as a rotational option I can see him getting goals in a good side.

nycender

Granted its YouTube but I was surprised to see how good Icardi was in the air. I didn't expect that but I also don't really watch Serie A.

C'est Moi Cantona

I was just coming in here to mention him. Think this would be a really smart move, which is why of course it won't happen. Even if just as a rotational option I can see him getting goals in a good side.
14 goals, 9 assists, pretty impressive, and in the day and age of undriven United players then this guy would give his all, but no lets go and pay twice as much for Dybala, and compound everything that has been wrong about us recently.

haram

Agree.
He's Lukaku light really, and I dare say would look even worse in our current style of play, as he relies on counter attacking into loads of space, which we often don't find with teams sitting back.
People forget Lukaku hit 24 and 18 league goals at Everton.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Forget strikers, who are our targets full stop!? I can't remember going into a summer window with as little idea of what we're likely to do as this.

-Supreme-

Has anyone mentioned Ayoze Perez?

Admittedly I don't follow Newcastle, but the games I've watched him play he looked really good on the ball, has scored 12 league goals which isn't bad return considering Newcastle is a very defensive team.

He'd fit in our recruitment strategy, good age and PL proven to an extent so shouldn't take too much time settling in.

Think he'd do well in the fake no.9 role

The Nani

With Joao Felix signing an extension, Sancho seemingly staying put and us targeting the bargain bucket from Swansea for the wing, it leaves us free to plow some real funds into a player like Jovic or Dybala.
Agreed. We should do everything we can to get Jovic and failing that go for Dybala.

If neither are possible I’d take Milik or Piatek in that order.

Devil may care

Agreed. We should do everything we can to get Jovic and failing that go for Dybala.

If neither are possible I’d take Milik or Piatek in that order.
I'd worry about Milik's injury history, not seen enough of the Polish lad, but Jovic is physically perfect for the PL and his all round game is developing, the strikers we have wont get us top 4 so this is a priority this summer and there are less options for this position than any of the others we are looking to strengthen.

Dan600

I’m still the lone voice at the back of the audience, quietly saying. Griezmann?

The Nani

I'd worry about Milik's injury history, not seen enough of the Polish lad, but Jovic is physically perfect for the PL and his all round game is developing, the strikers we have wont get us top 4 so this is a priority this summer and there are less options for this position than any of the others we are looking to strengthen.
Yeah, Milik’s a bit of an injury concern for sure. But there just aren’t a lot of options. The further down the list it goes the more underwhelming it gets very quickly.

I’m not completely adverse to Dembele, but I’d hate for us to pay over the odds for him.

We really need a proper player up top as much or more than anything this summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With the benefit of hindsight. Would any of you have bought Lewandowski instead?

Eric7C

With the benefit of hindsight. Would any of you have bought Lewandowski instead?

I call bs; journalists always try to appear smarter in hindsight. Fact remains that RvP was instrumental in winning the title and he had many good years left in him. Lewandowksi wouldn't have been able to do anything about United appointing poor managers and having an even poorer overall structure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I call bs; journalists always try to appear smarter in hindsight. Fact remains that RvP was instrumental in winning the title and he had many good years left in him. Lewandowksi wouldn't have been able to do anything about United appointing poor managers and having an even poorer overall structure.
Rory Smith basically pinned the blame on our poor structure on Gill and Fergie. Our scouting network was quite simply an absolute joke if he's correct.

starman

Get a experienced proven striker in that will slot straight in, like Vardy. Rashford might actually learn and continue his development process instead of the regression going on from watching Lukaku everyday.

If we want to invest in a young player, Jovic is a no brainer

Eric7C

Rory Smith basically pinned the blame on our poor structure on Gill and Fergie. Our scouting network was quite simply an absolute joke if he's correct.
That's probably correct, but buying RvP instead of Lewandowski is irrelevant and not an example of that poor structure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's probably correct, but buying RvP instead of Lewandowski is irrelevant and not an example of that poor structure.
That was just one example he gave of our mindset as a shortsighted club in Fergies last few years.

Jibbs

I think Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata and Martial are all on their way out. We will probably sign Nicolas Pepe, Moussa Dembele, Dan James or Steven Bergwijn along with promoting Mason Greenwood to first team.

Devil may care

Yeah, Milik’s a bit of an injury concern for sure. But there just aren’t a lot of options. The further down the list it goes the more underwhelming it gets very quickly.

I’m not completely adverse to Dembele, but I’d hate for us to pay over the odds for him.

We really need a proper player up top as much or more than anything this summer.
There aren't a lot of options, I agree there, but given our luck with injuries I'd be really wary and he's at a club that are hard to do business with due to their nutty owner.

I watch Lyon quite often and Dembele has never impressed me, not particularly good at anything.

Agreed, the forwards we have are poor and in truth only one of them is actually a striker IMO.

Devils11

Lewandowski, still only 30, for 70m with Mason Greenwood understudy for a couple of season. Can't do any better than that.

redpatron

Lewandowski, still only 30, for 70m with Mason Greenwood understudy for a couple of season. Can't do any better than that.
70m for a 30 year old striker on high wages in a crappy team. What could go wrong?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

We wouldn't have got lewandowski. Van persie is one of the few signings in the last 7-8 years who were a massive success

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's juts reverse engineering. See the results and build the story to sound you know better.

Devils11

70m for a 30 year old striker on high wages in a crappy team. What could go wrong?
By your logic, we should only sign cheap striker like Mitrovic or Pukki. The likes of Jovics and Dybalas are going to cost as much but doesn't guarantee you goals like Lewandowski.(unless of course you don't rated him.)

Beside, not forgetting we have youngster like Rashford and Greenwood, it would be bad business to go out and buy another promising 22 years old forward and hinder their development.