PR gimmick after the ESL failure

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Hilarious to see there are few journalists who still (twist this and) praise the owners. "They heard the fans" must be one of the biggest pile of shit that was posted this week.

Every owner knew what they were signing up for, once they saw how this was received and near impossible to pull off, they started with their PR nonsense.

stevoc

Sheikh Mansour is the unlikely saviour of English football.
:lol:

feck me that is embarrassing, none of these clubs owners especially City deserve any credit or praise. Everyone of the cnuts need to be run out of the English game and the ownership model changed by law so foreign/domestic billionaires can't just buy English football clubs on a whim. To use as cash cows, play things and sportwashing vehicles or any other nefarious purposes. The mask has slipped they are all deplorable greedy cnuts.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

Oh good, disaster was averted and the baddies were thwarted. Now let's all enjoy our world cup in the desert, and drape ourselves in (insert totalitarian regime) branded shirts

NoLogo

Yeah thought the same. What the hell? Don't let the scum get away with this. I want people reminded at every chance what the scum who owns our club is capable off. None of the owners of the clubs involved are innocent.

Paul_Scholes18

All these owners are horrible and greedy like crazy.
At least many players do seem to care about the fans.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Hilarious to see there are few journalists who still (twist this and) praise the owners. "They heard the fans" must be one of the biggest pile of shit that was posted this week.

Every owner knew what they were signing up for, once they saw how this was received and near impossible to pull off, they started with their PR nonsense.
True. If they really cared about what fans think, there would have been fan consultation before signing up. "They heard the fans" is pretending that the people in charge are completely naïve. Fans will often discredit the job owners and chief execs do, but these are smart people. They're being given far too much credit.

People are talking about swift and harsh punishments for the clubs involved, and I agree with the principal that those responsible shouldn't get off scot-free, but it will be completely unjust if the media gives owners and execs a collective pat on the back for seeing sense and merely rectifying a mistake, whilst players, managers and fans potentially bare the brunt of points deductions and/or competition bans, if any of that actually comes to fruition.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
City’s owners are loved by the press. I’m convinced they bung a couple of million their way to ensure that’s the case.
It happens for sure. Matt Law is 100% on Abramovich's payroll, some Chelsea fans have been saying this for years.

hubbuh

We need the likes of Gary Neville to keep up the pressure whenever he's on Sky Sports. Conversations about owners, alternative models of ownership etc. He's got the biggest pedastal in football punditry, he can't just go silent now.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

Isn't that literally them hearing the fans?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We need the likes of Gary Neville to keep up the pressure whenever he's on Sky Sports. Conversations about owners, alternative models of ownership etc. He's got the biggest pedastal in football punditry, he can't just go silent now.
It will die down in a few weeks. Some of these journalists and pundits are hell bent on making heroes out of this thing. Totally ignoring the fact that all 12 club owners tried to destroy the game as we know it. The only clubs who deserve praise are the ones who stood up against it but no Abramovich and Mansour are the true heroes.

hubbuh

Thank god for Sheikh Mansour, he’s the true hero in all of this.
What is it with these rich, greedy arseholes and depictions of them as being saviours of the common man? About 36 hours ago Perez said he was here to save football and its fans, now Abrahamovich and Shekih Mansour are being portrayed as the real heros. It's hideous.

hubbuh

It will die down in a few weeks. Some of these journalists and pundits are hell bent on making heroes out of this thing. Totally ignoring the fact that all 12 club owners tried to destroy the game as we know it. The only clubs who deserve praise are the ones who stood up against it but no Abramovich and Mansour are the true heroes.
It's really worrying. It's now or never, why the feck are these football 'journalists' (who you'd assume are football fans and want the best for the game) making idols of these bastards?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
City’s owners are loved by the press. I’m convinced they bung a couple of million their way to ensure that’s the case.
They literally had a friendly match against the press where Pep played in it IIRC.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Bang on. Damage limitation, that's all it is.

roonster09

Scout
They literally had a friendly match against the press where Pep played in it IIRC.
Didn't Pep also invited them all and gave few presents (I think this was after their title win in 2017-18 season)

roonster09

Scout
It's really worrying. It's now or never, why the feck are these football 'journalists' (who you'd assume are football fans and want the best for the game) making idols of these bastards?
They don't care about fans either, they care about their exclusives, clicks and obviously money.

diarm

I've never watched as much Sky Sports News as I did over the last 3 days. The way they speak about City is utterly corrupt - even at the height of the outrage they were looking to ways to distance City from the other 5 clubs involved.

They're fully paid up members of the propaganda machine City have bought and installed over the course of 15 years.

hubbuh

It felt all very shallow to me with Sky, UEFA and these pundits damming the Super League. They themselves don’t give two fecks about fans, all about protecting themselves.
I don't get this point of view at all. From everything you've seen from Gary Neville and Carragher over the past couple of days, that's your takeaway from this? Those two are about as big a fans of their respective clubs as you can get. Carragher even went so far as to call Sky out for their part in creating the PL back in '92. They were clearly talking from the heart.

roonster09

Scout

Didn't know Linekar and Woodward were friends.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
All these owners are horrible and greedy like crazy.
At least many players do seem to care about the fans.
I agree that some players probably do care about their fans. But they care about themselves a whole lot more. Marcus Radford is definitely the most genuine of them.
We have to remember that these players live in a completely different world to the vast majority of their fans.

Abizzz

I agree that some players probably do care about their fans. But they care about themselves a whole lot more. Marcus Radford is definitely the most genuine of them.
We have to remember that these players live in a completely different world to the vast majority of their fans.
Isn't that true for all of us though?

People forget that players were fans first. You don't practice for tens of thousands of hours as a kid because of the some contract you might get...

roonster09

Scout
Ofcourse that's true for every single human. They care about themselves and their family first.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pathetic. Matt Law is nothing but a mouthpiece for Abramovich.
He’s honestly an absolute bootlicker. Can you believe he’s been peddling this story that Us, Arsenal, and Liverpool are the ‘cartel’* that bullied Chelsea into joining? And Abramovich is incredible for breaking the ‘cartel’ in the first place with his £50 notes.

* verbatim. fecking cartel. :lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Isn't that true for all of us though?

People forget that players were fans first. You don't practice for tens of thousands of hours as a kid because of the some contract you might get...
That is exactly why they would want to do that. Lots of young boys aspire to become a footballer.
Maybe I am getting cynical in my old age. But it cannot be a surprise to players who demand massive wages that someone has to pay for that.

Modern players seem so remote from their adoring fans and the fans ways of life.

bsCallout

I've never watched as much Sky Sports News as I did over the last 3 days. The way they speak about City is utterly corrupt - even at the height of the outrage they were looking to ways to distance City from the other 5 clubs involved.

They're fully paid up members of the propaganda machine City have bought and installed over the course of 15 years.
Didn't Perez himself say that one of the teams wasn't sure from the beginning and then they made everyone else worried? That was likely City.

Le Red

This kind of thing is bringing me one step closer to stop watching football altogether. Can barely keep up with it as it is now. Several layers of plastic, driven by social media and merchandise.

Abizzz

But it cannot be a surprise to players who demand massive wages that someone has to pay for that.
I don't know, if I were a player I'd think "They're fleecing the fans anyway, any money I don't demand just goes into the Glazers pocket".

ShinjiNinja26

The media are definitely in City’s pocket, they’ve been wanking over them since day one. One minute they’re screaming greed and corruption over ESL which City were as much a part of as anyone else and then praising them the next, fecking disgusting!

saivet

To be fair, I think it is probably the case but City, Chelsea and Arsenal putting it out there that they were asked to join it late and with the fear of missing out/thinking it through they joined. Not seen anything about Spurs but Levy's comments make it seem like even if they weren't one of the leaders, he was very keen.

Either way, it seems pretty clear and as expected that United and Liverpool from the PL side of things were the ones driving this through.

sugar_kane

The whole public apology thing from all clubs is pathetic - if they literally had no idea how badly the public and footballing community would react to the plan why would they have conducted everything in complete secrecy, without any consulting of the fans, footballing hierarchy in their own club, or the wider football community?

Complete back-pedalling, and a desperate attempt at damage control - I’m surprised more people haven’t called them out on it.

I don’t buy City or Chelsea’s FOMO plea either, like they’re tiny minnows who were bullied into joining, and aren’t owned by some of the richest, most ruthless businessmen on the planet.

At least even though he is clearly deranged, Perez is still sticking by his guns - in a way I respect him for doubling down compared to the weaselly behaviour of the English clubs since it all fell apart.