Predict our starting 11, bench and league position next season

RashyForPM

My first thread since promotion so please be nice :D

Anyway, I just thought this would be a good idea. In these tough times of Covid-19, we won’t be spending much next season, but neither will our rivals except City. Bear in mind though, we are still United and will still have money to spend. On that note, I thought it’d be fun to predict our main 18 players for next season, 2020-21, and where they will get us.

Mine:
De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Pogba Matic
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial

Bench: Romero, Bailly, Williams, McTominay, Fred, Greenwood, Ighalo*
*James is unlucky as I feel his speed is a good asset, but Rashford and Sancho have bags of pace themselves and Greenwood can be the backup winger.

Transfers: Sancho (£95m), Phillips (£20m)

Position: 3rd, pushing Liverpool in 2nd close all the way if we’re lucky with injuries. This theoretical squad is full of quality and is also very well-balanced. In fact, I even think these boys will be title winners by 2022, with Phillips having stepped in for Matic by then.

What’s yours?

NoneBmStore

Who is this Phillips guys we're buying in the summer and who won't even make the bench next season?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
My first thread since promotion so please be nice :D

Anyway, I just thought this would be a good idea. In these tough times of Covid-19, we won’t be spending much next season, but neither will our rivals except City. Bear in mind though, we are still United and will still have money to spend. On that note, I thought it’d be fun to predict our main 18 players for next season, 2020-21, and where they will get us.

Mine:
De Gea
Pogba Matic
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial

Bench: Romero, Bailly, Williams, McTominay, Fred, Greenwood, Ighalo*
*James is unlucky as I feel his speed is a good asset, but Rashford and Sancho have bags of pace themselves and Greenwood can be the backup winger.

Transfers: Sancho (£95m), Phillips (£20m)

Position: 3rd, pushing Liverpool in 2nd close all the way if we’re lucky with injuries. This theoretical squad is full of quality and is also very well-balanced. In fact, I even think these boys will be title winners by 2022, with Phillips having stepped in for Matic by then.

What’s yours?
Just switch Fred for Grealish on your bench and you're there

Web of Bissaka

Next season first league game,
Martial
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Pogba McT
Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB
De Gea

Subs: Romero, NewCB, Williams, Matic, Fred, NewMid, James, Greenwood, Ighalo
Next season still 9 players on the bench?

I predict we will only get 3 new players at most.

I think Ole will kept on changing the 11 until he gets the best 11 considering new players. I don't think he'll change too much of his best 11 that he knows so far.
Plus, he's also loyal to certain players so we can expect the regulars to always be on the bench at least.

League position.. 3rd.

Lentwood

MY STARTING XI 2020/21

GK - Dean Henderson
RB - AwB
DL - Luke Shaw
DC - Harry Maguire
DC - Victor Lindelof*
DMC - Nemanja Matic
MC - Paul Pogba
MC - Bruno Fernandes
AMF - Mason Greenwood
AMF - Anthony Martial
AMF - Jadon Sancho

Bench - David De Gea, Eric Bailly, Brandon Williams, Fred, McTominay, Rashford**, James

* I would like to sign a CB, however, as I don't watch European football and I haven't seen an available standout player in the PL this season I won't guess at who we might buy!

** I realise half the forum will have a meltdown at leaving Rashford on the bench but you need to have Martial on the pitch to play as the #9 and the other two are generational talents in my opinion. That being said, we can rotate the four into the three and each will still start 30+ games

I am also a fan of Grealish but I just don't think he is SO good that we would be missing a great deal if we didn't get him. I'd probably prioritise other areas, even though I think he would be a great squad player for us

Suspicious Swelling

First game of next season:

De Gea
Pogba McT
Sancho* Bruno Rashford
Martial

Subs:
Henderson, Williams, Bailley**, Fred, James***, Greenwood****, Ighalo
Can't see us buying too many players, which will probably be the same as most clubs due to impact of Covid19 so unfortunately I cant see there being much change.

* He will only come to us if we have Champions League football so fingers crossed for no more feck ups! :nervous:
** I do like Bailley but he is a bit of a liability in defence and good for a red card too. Wouldn't mind seeing another defender but not sure who we could get in.. Koulibaly maybe but he is probably off to City.
*** Hasn't really kicked on and his pace is a good asset but Greenwood, Rashford and Martial are all pacey anyway. Hel'll probably be staying for a while and I would probably prefer that than signing Grealish. I seem to be be one of the few people that doesn't really like him, maybe I am not seeing something but if we already have Pogba and Bruno how would Grealish fit in? i don't really get it, especially for 80m! :houllier:
**** Tough that he misses out on starting but have to play Sancho if we get him. If we are in Europa league, Sancho isn't coming, we probably sign Grealish and and Greenwood slots in.

MrEarl

Man Utd's greatest strength is in its five attacking outfield players. Southampton demonstrated that our five defensive outfield players as a unit lack the speed and finesse to beat an effective press. We spent half the game with our defensive five pinned back in our own end. We need to add quickness and technical ability to our central defense and DMF. That's two players unless Fred or McT are up to it. That's debatable.. So at least one CD.

The second area of weakness is our lack of depth for our attacking midfielders. A serious injury to Fernandez and we can kiss the rest of the season goodbye. Bruno can cover for Pogba but we don't have on alternative number 10.

I have trouble understanding why we would want to spend somewhere near 100 million to strengthen the strongest part of our team. We have three young attackers with sky's the limit potential. Are we really strengthening the team by putting one of them on the bench? Looks a lot like the thinking that went into getting Sanchez. Sancho certainly looks good but not at the expense of failing to address our primary weaknesses.

So I would suggest our primary need is for one fast technically proficient CD and a number 10 who can hopefully provide cover for our three attackers. Grealish fits that bill.

IRELANDUNITED

DDG

AWB Maguire Ake Shaw

Matic Pogba

Bruno

Sancho Martial Rashford

Subs: Romero, Lindelof, Williams, Fred, Mctominay, Greenwood, Ben Yedder

Finish: 2nd

Infestissumam

De Gea (Romero)

Wan-Bissaka (Dalot/Laird)
Maguire (Bailly)
Lindelöf (Tuanzebe)
Shaw (Williams/Laird)

Matic (McTominay)
Pogba (Fred)
Fernandes (Grealish)

Sancho (Greenwood/Mata)
Martial (Ighalo/Greenwood)
Rashford (Grealish/James)

IN: Sancho, Grealish, maybe a CB prospect
OUT: Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard, Jones, Pereira
LOAN: Henderson, Chong, Garner

Last edited:

RedMilo

Henderson
Wan Bissaka
Shaw
Rice
Maguire
Matic
Bruno
Fred
Greenwood
Rashford
Martial

Romero/Kovar
Laird/Dalot
Williams
Bailly/Mengi
McTominay/Garner
James
Chong

League Position - 3rd.

Dont think we will sign Sancho or Grealish. Cant see Pogba staying. Hope Henderson gets his chance. If we can get Sanchez, De Gea & Pogba off the wage bill, it will put us in much better financial position.

Sell or Release - De Gea, Grant, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Pogba, Igalho

Eire Red United

De Gea (Romero)

Wan-Bissaka (Dalot/Laird)
Maguire (Bailly)
Lindelöf (Tuanzebe)
Shaw (Williams/Laird)

Matic (McTominay)
Pogba (Fred)
Fernandes (Grealish)

Sancho (Greenwood/Mata)
Martial (Ighalo/Greenwood)
Rashford (Grealish/James)

IN: Sancho, Grealish, maybe a CB prospect
OUT: Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard, Jones, Pereira
LOAN: Henderson, Chong, Garner
Looks good, still light at cb though. Maguire gets injured and we’re fecked.

MY STARTING XI 2020/21

GK - Dean Henderson
RB - AwB
DL - Luke Shaw
DC - Harry Maguire
DC - Victor Lindelof*
DMC - Nemanja Matic
MC - Paul Pogba
MC - Bruno Fernandes
AMF - Mason Greenwood
AMF - Anthony Martial
AMF - Jadon Sancho

Bench - David De Gea, Eric Bailly, Brandon Williams, Fred, McTominay, Rashford**, James

* I would like to sign a CB, however, as I don't watch European football and I haven't seen an available standout player in the PL this season I won't guess at who we might buy!

** I realise half the forum will have a meltdown at leaving Rashford on the bench but you need to have Martial on the pitch to play as the #9 and the other two are generational talents in my opinion. That being said, we can rotate the four into the three and each will still start 30+ games

I am also a fan of Grealish but I just don't think he is SO good that we would be missing a great deal if we didn't get him. I'd probably prioritise other areas, even though I think he would be a great squad player for us
Fairly confident Henderson have had his loan extended for one more season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wish:
Ddg
AWB, Lindelof,Maguire, Shaw
Brozovic
Pogba, Bruno
Sancho, Martial, Rashford
Subs: Romero, Bailly, Fred, Ighalo, Grealish, Greenwood, Matic
Note: all deadwood sold. That is why we have money for 3 players.
Position. 1-2 ( City and United for title)

But It will be:
Ddg
AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw
Matic, Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood, Martial, Rashford
Subs: Romero, Grealish, Mct, Fred, Bailly, Ighalo, James.
Only Sanchez and Smalling sold/loaned. Being priced out for Sancho so we will buy only Grealish.

Position: 4th

Lentwood

Fairly confident Henderson have had his loan extended for one more season.
I agree, I don't think Henderson will be our No.1 next season but should be for me

We can all debate the extent of De Gea's decline, but I think we all agree DDG is definitely on the slide.

I happen to think De Gea is now one of the worst GKs in the league, in terms of the all-round package, but understand that opinion is too extreme for others.

For me, trying Henderson next season is win/win. He can't be any worse than DDG has been this season and if it turns out he's not quite up to it as a long-term solution, at least we know and can cash in and trade up.