Preferred Choice of Manager with Timing

Nickelodeon

Given that there has been a lot of chatter around 2 main choices, Mauricio Pochettino and Erik Ten Hag, I think its fair to assess what the forum thinks of who we should get and whether that choice depends on we should get them. Narrowing it down to options we can choose.

1. Pochettino to be appointed now. If unavailable, employ an interim and get Pochettino in the summer.
  2. Ten Hag to be appointed now. If unavailable, employ an interim and get Ten Hag in the summer.
  3. Pochettino now. If unavailable, employ Erik Ten Hag now (assuming it is possible).
  4. Erik Ten Hag now. If unavailable, employ Pochettino now (assuming it is possible).
  5. No appointments till the summer. Appoint interim now.
  6. Employ permanent manager now who is neither Pochettino nor Ten Hag
Please do let me know if any potential scenario options are missed. Would request the mods to create a poll if that's alright.

Skills

Snitch
2, 5 and 6 in that order for me.

I like the idea of Ten Hag, but I'm not too fussed. If we can get a good enough interim, we may as well get him to see out the season for us and hire the best candidate in the summer. Who knows what might happen between now and the summer anyways - Chelsea could implode and Tuchel could be available.

There's always the option of hiring Pochettino, sacking him in May and then hiring someone else anyway in the summer. Just nab his compensation from the money we'll waste in the summer anyway. Club needs to start being more selfish and ruthless

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ten Hag doesnt want to come mid season. If Verweij reports it he has spoken to him directly.

el3mel

Poch now for 18 months then evaluate. We can Ten Hag next if Poch doesn't succeed in this time frame, not like he'll go anywhere at the moment as most big clubs don't need managerial changes at the moment.

el3mel

Please do let me know if any potential scenario options are missed. Would request the mods to create a poll if that's alright.
You forgot the possibility of them making Carrick a permanent manager if he defeats Villareal.

You know .. we're stupid enough to make this mistake again.

JB7

You forgot the possibility of them making Carrick a permanent manager if he defeats Villareal.

You know .. we're stupid enough to make this mistake again.
Yeah because that’s literally all Ole did :houllier:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
4 probably, but that's more due to my certain dislikes of Poch, rather than a strong admiration for ETH.

Gandalf

I would say 2 but only with the caveat that we can secure some sort of binding agreement for ETH to join in the summer. My biggest fear with the idea of waiting on our desired candidate is that when the summer finally rolls around there will be other options and quite honestly we are not the prettiest girl at the dance at this moment in time. Ancelotti feels like a stopgap at Real, Pep is clearly close to the end at City and I would not be totally shocked if Klopp walked as he clearly is the type who has a shelf life and any of those vacancies would look more attractive along with a number of other potential openings.

el3mel

Yeah because that’s literally all Ole did :houllier:
So 3 months of good results are now enough to appoint a manager permanently ? Do you guys even learn ?

If we had waited till the end of the season and witnessed the huge collapse that happened after these 3 months, Ole would have never ever been appointed permanently.

SAFMUTD

Poch wouldn't be bad, but again he's not good enough to be at the level of Pep, Klopp and maybe Tuchel.

Ten Haag haves the potential to be the next big thing managing wise, so we should aim for that.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

ETH will make do with any players, which is something we'll need because I don't trust the people handling our transfers.

Oranges038

Probably 2.

But, whatever happens they need to start laying the groundwork for the guy after that as well.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So 3 months of good results are now enough to appoint a manager permanently ? Do you guys even learn ?

If we had waited till the end of the season and witnessed the huge collapse that happened after these 3 months, Ole would have never ever been appointed permanently.
I recalled us slumping after the PSG tie and they still gave Ole the job in the middle of a winless streak.

JB7

I was literally replying to you saying they’ll give Carrick the job if he beats Villareal.

el3mel

I recalled us slumping after the PSG tie and they still gave Ole the job in the middle of a winless streak.
That's not true. We lost the next game after PSG to Arsenal then he got appointed permanently. It wasn't in the middle of a winless streak.