Premier League Draft QF - Religion vs P-nut

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Religion

4-4-2 (fluid to 4-2-2-2)

Key Notes (adjustments)

* Trippier is the perfect defensive full back to deal with Ronaldo. His stint with Simeone transformed him in this regard and as shown by Southgate internationally when playing him ahead of other options either side he has the energy, tenacity and tactical awareness to manage threats from his side and can even switch sides with Cancelo should he move.

* Ljundberg on the right with Trippier also gives him a hardworking tireless operator who will track back and assist him in defensive phases. The benefit here is during transitions Ljundberg was at his best operating from deep (explained more in player profile below) so we can turn defence into attack perfectly and catch the opponent napping.

GK Lehmann (54 clean sheets, 1 assist)

LB Cancelo (8 PL goals, 3 assists, 31 CS)

CB Terry (41 PL goals, 214 CS)

CB T.Silva (PL 5 goals, 18 CS)

RB Trippier (4 PL goals, 18 assists, 29 CS)

CM Essien (17 PL goals, 10 assists)

CM Scholes (107 PL goals, 55 assists)

LM Eriksen (52 PL goals, 62 assists)

RM Ljundberg (48 PL goals, 29 assists)

CF van Persie (144 PL goals, 53 assists)

CF Henry (175 PL goals, 74 assists)

543 goals, 283 assists (mid and attack)

Subs

CF Hasselbaink (127 PL goals, 58 assists)

AM Ozil (33 PL goals, 54 assists)

L/RW Sterling (103 PL goals, 52 assists)

Overview

I have assembled a team with strength in every area of the pitch. It is built on a winning mentality, strong leadership and bags of team chemistry with more than a sprinkling of star quality. It also includes the following partnerships;

Terry/Essien
Trippier/Eriksen
Scholes/RvP
Lehmann/Lundjberg
RvP/Henry/Ljundberg

Player Overview

Lehmann
- One of the invincibles and a commanding, quality shot stopper. Boasted great distribution and brought the best from his team mates. European goalkeeper of the year whilst at Arsenal (and a World Cup All Star). Still holds the record of consecutive clean sheets in the Champions League and highest number of minutes without conceding a goal. A maverick and character yes but also very good.

Cancelo/Tripper - Both superb modern day full backs with fantastic technique along with the ability to interchange on either flank. Each has the pace to support attacks going forward and also to cover along side Terry and during defensive phases. Both comfortable on either foot.

T.Silva - If anyone was in doubt about this man’s quality the league cup final a few days ago surely put that to bed. Described by both Rio and Ronaldo as the best defender in the world he offers the complete package as the perfect modern day CB; pace, passing ability, anticipation and reading of the game, ability in the air.. criticism of his leadership and mentality is irrelevant here as he partners the monstrous John Terry. The perfect combination.

Terry - Whatever you think of the man himself as a player he was one of the best PL defenders of all time (either him or Rio depending on the style you prefer). Five time FIFA world XI member, three time UEFA defender of the year and a World Cup All Star. People will view him as a stopper but he actually had much more to his game; nice passing range, natural leadership by example, goals, recovery pace and an ability to anticipate and read the game like no other. 214 clean sheets.. impressive. Completes a perfect CB partnership.

Scholes - I don’t believe I need to say much here but as my deep lying playmaker there’s no better in the draft, and in my view, the world. His role here allows him to dictate from deep, picking long or short passes to feed the forwards and linking in with Eriksen in the final third. Here he can arrive late in and around the 18 yard box and cause havoc as play progresses. He just didn’t give the ball away and even if you try you aren’t getting it off him. Period.

Essein - At his peak one of the best midfield players in the world and surely the most complete. Powerful defensively with his tough tackling, physicality and drive, he also had a superb engine allowing him to operate box to box and influence the game in the final third. A technically superb intelligent footballer and another natural leader. Here he is the primary defensive cog in the midfield and works well with Terry offering the team a solid and tough core.

Eriksen - Moved to a LM role here he is still able to create, drift inside into pockets behind the forwards, and in the channel. In attacking phases at 4-2-2-2 he is the creative spark, operating in his most productive area of the pitch orchestrating attacking phases and using his intelligence to create and utilise space. With over 50 goals and 60 PL assists it’s hard to see how he doesn’t influence proceedings especially with the quality of Scholes and Essein behind him and the footballing intelligence of van Persie and Henry to link up with.

Ljundberg - Another one of Arsenals invincibles and a key part of their success. A technically great dribbler with excellent movement on and off the ball. Scorer of goals, 48 PL ones in-fact, on the biggest occasions. A different challenge and threat to Sterling in the sense he can operate in deeper areas effectively.

Viera stated “he can then turn a match with one touch of the ball, either because he creates the goal or scores it himself. He is a match winner.”

“He likes playing deep and, because he is highly intelligent and reads the game so well, he is very difficult to mark.”

Comfortable on either wing or even more he sticks with the theme that all of my wide players can interchange and create serious problems for the defending team. Premier League player of the season 01/02 and member of the overseas team of the decade.

RvP - What. A. Player. Only Shearer and Henry with higher goal per game ratio in PL, 11/12 season scored 37/48 for Arsenal in all competitions then in 12/13 season arguably a best ever individual season performance with 34/35 including 15 PL assists. 25 CL goals at a rate of 0.42 per game. An absolute machine and for me the most classy, complete forward in the draft. He could do it all. Big game player with bags of intelligence and pedigree. Undoubtedly unstoppable at his peak.

Henry - Arguably the best player to grace the PL and one of the best of all time. World Cup winner, European Championship winner, two time FIFA world player of the year, five time UEFA team of the season member, four time golden boot winner who scored over 20 goals in five consecutive PL seasons. Henry was also a master creator boasting the highest volume of assists in a season with 20. Two footed, versatile, can get at you on the inside or the out. Unplayable.

Summary

I genuinely believe this team has it all and is perfectly balanced in each area; mentally and physically tough, hard to beat, impossible to play through and with a variety of different that’s all over the pitch. A complete nightmare to play against as with each avenue you close another opens up. You simply can’t keep this team quiet and the number of PL goals and assists highlight this emphatically. The additions of Henry offers the best strike partnership in draft, with Thiago Silva complimenting PL all time great Terry offering absolute solidity at the back. Formidable.

Team Peanuts

Reinforcements are Fernandinho for Barry and Fabregas for JWP.

Nice combo of reinforcements allowed me to bring in Fernandinhos ability as a sole sitter, adding protection to the defence and extra ball retention ability. With that additional protection allowing a more attacking CM in Fabregas to take over from JWP in playmaking duties and gives him a license to break forward from the centre of midfield.

Attack functions in the same way as last game and the defence is also untouched.

Style of play is a little more expansive than previously with Fernandinho and Fabregas both used to playing in expansive systems the side is more prepared to stamp its authority on the game. It will still be a fast direct style, but not the all out counter attacking style we employed last game.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
First note, this transformed Trippier has played 4 games in the PL so it is much more rational to use the player he was before coming back to Newcastle which frankly was nowhere near equipped to deal with Ronaldo

Šjor Bepo

@TheReligion you had Sheringham in first round? If so, such a pointless "upgrade" to RVP as former is a much better fit + you badly needed replacing Trippier. Both Ronaldo and Henry are in great position to have a great game, would be goals in this one thats for sure.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good luck @P-Nut and thanks @Šjor Bepo

Early thoughts;

- Steve Bruce is hugely exposed here against Henry and RvP

- Henderson doesn’t match up to the quality of Eriksen, Scholes or Essein in the slightest

- A front two pins Fernandinho back to try and help out as leaving them 1v1 is suicidal.

- The gap between Fernandinho and the other midfielders either grows or the whole team drops to compensate - either way it leaves space for my superior technicians to operate in.

I understand why P went all in to tighten up his midfield but the truth is it still isn’t up to the level of mine. I’ve boosted my forwards with Henry and central defence with Silva.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion you had Sheringham in first round? If so, such a pointless "upgrade" to RVP as former is a much better fit + you badly needed replacing Trippier. Both Ronaldo and Henry are in great position to have a great game, would be goals in this one thats for sure.
no didn’t have Sheringham

my upgrades were Henry and Silva

There were no full backs free so decided to improve the core and wasnt going to turn down Henry. The front two is also mouthwatering and too good to turn down!

Šjor Bepo

no didn’t have Sheringham

my upgrades were Henry and Silva

There were no full backs free so decided to improve the core and wasnt going to turn down Henry. The front two is also mouthwatering and too good to turn down!
No worries then, Sheringham was probably in the original Henry team :)

P-Nut

Good luck @P-Nut and thanks @Šjor Bepo

Early thoughts;

- Steve Bruce is hugely exposed here against Henry and RvP

- Henderson doesn’t match up to the quality of Eriksen, Scholes or Essein in the slightest

- A front two pins Fernandinho back to try and help out as leaving them 1v1 is suicidal.

- The gap between Fernandinho and the other midfielders either grows or the whole team drops to compensate - either way it leaves space for my superior technicians to operate in.

I understand why P went all in to tighten up his midfield but the truth is it still isn’t up to the level of mine. I’ve boosted my forwards with Henry and central defence with Silva.
Im not sure I agree about individual quality besides Scholes being the obvious stand out. Eriksen I wouldn't say was in anyway better than Fabregas and Fernandinho I'd say was better than Essien as he's been knitting that City side together defensively for a good few years now. In any case the midfield doesn't have to be on the same level individually, they work perfectly as a unit with each complimenting the other. Similar to the previous round it is built around a similar style to the Liverpool side in setting a platform for the front 3 to shine.

Kane - Ronaldo was done in the last game, but to highlight it here for ones that missed it you've got Kane as a player that will go on to be leading all time scorer in the Premier league, being hampered in now way by Ronaldo who is arguably (along with Henry) the greatest PL player ever (peak wise)

And then finally you add Tevez to that mixture with his workrate and those peak years at the end of his United career fitting perfectly into the system and its a recipe for a mouth watering attack.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Religion or peanuts? That’s a question as old as time.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
First note, this transformed Trippier has played 4 games in the PL so it is much more rational to use the player he was before coming back to Newcastle which frankly was nowhere near equipped to deal with Ronaldo
Agree with this and a point that fell on deaf ears in the first game.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Also not sure on the RVP Henry 2 man partnership , both of their best form came when spearheading their attacks.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
As for P-Nut, that front 3 is wonderful and complimentary. Only real weakenss is the right side of the defence.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean if people are going to dig out trippier they are totally ignoring his spell at Spurs. In addition I’ve also highlighted how Ljundberg fits in with defensive work.

I don’t really see any kind of plan to deal with my XI from P though if I’m honest, and to suggest Essien is inferior to Fernandinho is laughable to me with the former a much more well rounded player.

The sore thumb in this midfield battle is Henderson ten times over. Let’s not gloss over that. Massively out of his depth.

TheReligion

Abusive
How is Coleman and Tevez going to do up against Henry, Cancelo and the drifting Eriksen?!

i don’t think very well…

P-Nut

I mean if people are going to dig out trippier they are totally ignoring his spell at Spurs. In addition I’ve also highlighted how Ljundberg fits in with defensive work.

I don’t really see any kind of plan to deal with my XI from P though if I’m honest, and to suggest Essien is inferior to Fernandinho is laughable to me with the former a much more well rounded player.

The sore thumb in this midfield battle is Henderson ten times over. Let’s not gloss over that. Massively out of his depth.
Same conversation I had last game regarding Henderson. Which midfielder in world football, never mind solely the PL has he looked out of his depth against in the last few years? As a hard working midfielder that bridges the gap between defence and attack there aren't many better examples in the last few years. He's gone up against the current City side loads and never looked out of place despite having to cover for TAA constantly and covering the same zone KDB operates in. I can't stand him personally, but to assume he'd get shit on by Eriksen and Essien is crazy talk.

TheReligion

Abusive
Same conversation I had last game regarding Henderson. Which midfielder in world football, never mind solely the PL has he looked out of his depth against in the last few years? As a hard working midfielder that bridges the gap between defence and attack there aren't many better examples in the last few years. He's gone up against the current City side loads and never looked out of place despite having to cover for TAA constantly and covering the same zone KDB operates in. I can't stand him personally, but to assume he'd get shit on by Eriksen and Essien is crazy talk.
Henderson looks good playing under Klopp in his system. He gets more from him.

Genuinely amazed you’re trying to suggest he’s got the quality of Eriksen and Essien.

P-Nut

Henderson looks good playing under Klopp in his system. He gets more from him.

Genuinely amazed you’re trying to suggest he’s got the quality of Eriksen and Essien.
Maybe we rate them very differently, but I wouldn't say Eriksen was ever the leading player in his role in the PL. Both have only ever been named in the team of the year once. Whilst Essien never actually made it. To paint them as running rings around him is absolutely mental. Even Fernandinho has been named in the team of the season and whilst it's easier to get in that side when you're winning things, which Eriksen maybe suffers from, Essien doesn't have that excuse.

You also state Henderson looks good in Klopps system, but there are a lot of similarities here. He's got the attacking full back next to him in Evra (similar to Trent) a holding midfielder comfortable on the ball behind him in Fernandinho (Fabinho), a flying wingers who dictates a lot of the attack on his flank in Ronaldo (Salah) and finally a selfless striker who drops deep, links play and opens the space for inside forwards in Kane (Firmino)

He is literally tried and tested against Europe's elite in this role.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion How high of a defensive line are you playing?
Not a high Liverpool style back line as I’m conscious of leaving space in behind, even though the recovery pace of the back four is sufficient in my opinion (even Terry was underrated in this sense)

Both CBs have the ability to play from the back too so being deeper isn’t an issue. I’d say moderate line.

TheReligion

Abusive
Maybe we rate them very differently, but I wouldn't say Eriksen was ever the leading player in his role in the PL. Both have only ever been named in the team of the year once. Whilst Essien never actually made it. To paint them as running rings around him is absolutely mental. Even Fernandinho has been named in the team of the season and whilst it's easier to get in that side when you're winning things, which Eriksen maybe suffers from, Essien doesn't have that excuse.

You also state Henderson looks good in Klopps system, but there are a lot of similarities here. He's got the attacking full back next to him in Evra (similar to Trent) a holding midfielder comfortable on the ball behind him in Fernandinho (Fabinho), a flying wingers who dictates a lot of the attack on his flank in Ronaldo (Salah) and finally a selfless striker who drops deep, links play and opens the space for inside forwards in Kane (Firmino)

He is literally tried and tested against Europe's elite in this role.
I mean if you’re just rating them by team of the season then I can see why you’d suggest that.

Id also say that’s absolutely not the yardstick and you’re hugely underrating both Eriksen and Essien. Especially the latter.

Šjor Bepo

Since when is a right wing the perfect use of Tevez? He will be okay here but thats about it.

P-Nut

I mean if you’re just rating them by team of the season then I can see why you’d suggest that.

Id also say that’s absolutely not the yardstick and you’re hugely underrating both Eriksen and Essien. Especially the latter.
I not personally, just my own rating of each, but it shows that their peers also didn't rate them as this force that Henderson would have a tough time playing against, compared to the players he's gone up against in recent years.

Anyway it is basically a dead end conversation as we won't agree on it.

P-Nut

Since when is a right wing the perfect use of Tevez? He will be okay here but thats about it.
He'll come inside constantly when Kane drops to play make. I agree though his peak is definitely as a centre forward, but he was great in a similar role at United when he had license to roam.

Šjor Bepo

He'll come inside constantly when Kane drops to play make. I agree though his peak is definitely as a centre forward, but he was great in a similar role at United when he had license to roam.
Which is way he will be okay but he was a striker, always. Drifting out wide or roaming around is much different then playing put wide with a license to go central.
Its far from the perfect fit you said it is which is why i commented :)

P-Nut

Which is way he will be okay but he was a striker, always. Drifting out wide or roaming around is much different then playing put wide with a license to go central.
Its far from the perfect fit you said it is which is why i commented :)
Ah ok, I think it's tough to find someone that offers everything he does in this side and role though with the PL restrictions. With CR7 on the pitch I needed runners and hard workers to allow him to have maximum effect going forward and not leave the side too exposed defensively.

TheReligion

Abusive
@P-Nut yes we can agree to disagree on Henderson however I’m still unsure on how Bruce will cope with my front two and their intelligence, movement and pace? Also Tevez roaming and Coleman on the right?

Cancelo Eriksen and Henry on my left..

How are you going to deal with all of this? I’m curious

P-Nut

@P-Nut yes we can agree to disagree on Henderson however I’m still unsure on how Bruce will cope with my front two and their intelligence, movement and pace? Also Tevez roaming and Coleman on the right?

Cancelo Eriksen and Henry on my left..

How are you going to deal with all of this? I’m curious
To be fair I'd probably have Kompany on that right side and Bruce going up against RvP instead of Henry. I picked Bruce early as his aggressive style alongside Kompany allows me to defend on the front foot and I'd say he's a decent match up for RvP personally.

Henry is obviously a problem against basically any defender available which is similar to Ronaldo in that regard. They are the obvious players with a massive x-factor.

On your last point, if Eriksen wants to constantly drift wide it allows Fernandinho more time and space in the middle of the park to dictate the game and supply the front line more and more. And whilst I don't deny Eriksens quality on the ball he was never the most dynamic of players to constantly be hurrying Fernandinho and posing a threat down that left side as well.

EDIT: Also to add Cancelo on the left also cuts inside more than any other full back in world football, so will be coming back into the area where I'm strongest.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair I'd probably have Kompany on that right side and Bruce going up against RvP instead of Henry. I picked Bruce early as his aggressive style alongside Kompany allows me to defend on the front foot and I'd say he's a decent match up for RvP personally.

Henry is obviously a problem against basically any defender available which is similar to Ronaldo in that regard. They are the obvious players with a massive x-factor.

On your last point, if Eriksen wants to constantly drift wide it allows Fernandinho more time and space in the middle of the park to dictate the game and supply the front line more and more. And whilst I don't deny Eriksens quality on the ball he was never the most dynamic of players to constantly be hurrying Fernandinho and posing a threat down that left side as well.

EDIT: Also to add Cancelo on the left also cuts inside more than any other full back in world football, so will be coming back into the area where I'm strongest.
I think Fernandinho is pinned back though or else you’re leaving Henry and RVP 1v1 with Bruce and Kompany…

Also huge miss match on your right with Coleman and Tevez in my opinion. Can see plenty of joy for my left.

Scholes is also the best midfielder on the pitch and again seems to be getting ignored. He’s dictating the game and creating from deep. With Henry and RvP running on its goals and more goals. I can’t see how Brucey and Vincent cope.

TheReligion

Abusive

Reminder of how good Eriksen was for Spurs seeing as he appears to be being down played to Henderson.

Also RvP. Unplayable.

There’s goals from all over the pitch here; Eriksen, Essien, Scholes, Ljundberg, Henry, van Persie

Whilst Ronaldo, Kane and Tevez contribute Henderson, Fabregas and Fernandinho fall short and offer a much lesser threat in my opinion.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
With Kane dropping deep Tevez (and Ronaldo) will work nicely running into those spaces he will vacate. All 3 are pretty flexible so like the look of it.

sherrinford

With Kane dropping deep Tevez (and Ronaldo) will work nicely running into those spaces he will vacate. All 3 are pretty flexible so like the look of it.
I have to try really quite hard to think of a worse combination than Kane and a badly-out-of-position Tevez constantly getting in each other's way.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I have to try really quite hard to think of a worse combination than Kane and a badly-out-of-position Tevez constantly getting in each other's way.
It all depends on the instructions, as an out and out winger role Tevez isn't suited at all, but I don't believe he's instructed to do that here. Both Kane and Tevez are hardly 6 yard box poachers, both will roam and combine. Son and Kane do this quite often, that's why you see Son score quite a few 'strikers' goals, in positions you would normally expect Kane to be in.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yep. They are both roaming in the same areas leaving no one clearly leading the line.

Not sure why it’s getting the love in as it doesn’t look right at all. Tevez is just shoehorned in.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ll revisit this tomorrow. Can’t really understand the voting so far as few people have said anything or explained. It seems willing to overlook or ignore some of the points made.

There’s huge glaring weaknesses down the Coleman/Tevez flank and nothings been said to address them despite me pointing them out and highlighting the Henry/Eriksen/Cancelo threat in that area.

Again Terry and Thiago Silva are a better pairing, and stylistic match, than Kompany and Steve Bruce. To suggest they can keep Henry and RvP under wraps is very optimistic. It would be a horror show for Bruce as much as I love him.

Šjor Bepo

if peanuts used a different system(has a perfect personnel for it) with same 11 on the pitch id vote for him, because he isnt i will probably opt for a draw which is painful after harms posts

sherrinford

It all depends on the instructions, as an out and out winger role Tevez isn't suited at all, but I don't believe he's instructed to do that here. Both Kane and Tevez are hardly 6 yard box poachers, both will roam and combine. Son and Kane do this quite often, that's why you see Son score quite a few 'strikers' goals, in positions you would normally expect Kane to be in.
Yep. They are both roaming in the same areas leaving no one clearly leading the line.

Not sure why it’s getting the love in as it doesn’t look right at all. Tevez is just shoehorned in.
Yeah Tevez isn't going to hold width and he's not going to be the 'Son', constantly making runs and stretching the play. Instructions won't change who he 'is' as a player. Both Kane and him are central attackers perennially coming towards the ball to take it into feet. Both slow. Ronaldo obviously offers a huge amount of penetration but, for me, it's not enough to save just how ill-suited Kane and Tevez are for each other - a dysfunctional attack.