Premier League Draft QF - Religion vs P-nut

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheReligion

Abusive

This legend taking on Coleman then coming inside on Steve Bruce. Come on now!

Arsene on my front two..

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I have to try really quite hard to think of a worse combination than Kane and a badly-out-of-position Tevez constantly getting in each other's way.
I find it really easy to envisage due to the fact he played with Ronaldo and Rooney constantly and its that exact version I'm using here.

From that trio Kane is the only difference and he plays a similar role to what Rooney did for us then. Spearheading the attack, but pulling the centre backs deeper to allow room in behind for CR7 and Tevez. For anyone that watched us extensively from 07-09 I don't see how it's hard to see how it would function.

The positions on the formation graphic aren't static and there's a lot of fluidity and opportunity for Tevez to get in central areas after a quick bit of interplay

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
This was really tough to call but giving it to religion. I usually wouldn't be a fan of a forward line of Henry/RVP but I think the midfield here will make it click. Its a really well envisioned setup.

For Pnut, I don't think Kane at CF works with Tevez at RWF. While Kane can influence a bit deep, you ideally would want someone with way more of false 9 tendencies there for it to be brilliant. You would still want Kane to be nearer to the goal more often than not. His game did suffer a bit when he had to drop deeper a lot more often at Spurs in the recent times.

sherrinford

I find it really easy to envisage due to the fact he played with Ronaldo and Rooney constantly and its that exact version I'm using here.

From that trio Kane is the only difference and he plays a similar role to what Rooney did for us then. Spearheading the attack, but pulling the centre backs deeper to allow room in behind for CR7 and Tevez. For anyone that watched us extensively from 07-09 I don't see how it's hard to see how it would function.

The positions on the formation graphic aren't static and there's a lot of fluidity and opportunity for Tevez to get in central areas after a quick bit of interplay
It's nothing like United's 07-08 side. Tevez never played from the right, and Kane is nothing like Rooney. Rooney was a much more dynamic player, who nominally ran the channels to accomodate Tevez - who couldn't stretch play and constantly looked to play with his back to goal and just off the front line - and Ronaldo - who had evolved to the point where he would abandon his wide position in favour of making dangerous runs infield off the ball. Of the three of them, Kane is most similar to Tevez.

Not as similar as he is to another forward who joined the club during that period though - Dimitar Berbatov. Kane is basically an inferior version of the classy Bulgarian, and you will struggle to find anyone who believed he enhanced that side. Berbatov was a great player who didn't quite fit with the other attackers. Rooney was not like Robbie Keane, or like others such as Bellamy, Reus, Giuly or Griezmann who would provide constant movement and penetrative running playing off of him, and Ronaldo did not provide it in an ideal way from a wide position as, as mentioned, he would move infield and condense the space horizontally, rather than constantly playing on the defenders shoulders and making diagonal runs from the touchline like Henry, Eto'o, Aubameyang, Salah and Mbappe did/do.

Your team is closer to the side after the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez axis was replaced by a much more static and less effective one. Except it's worse.

P-Nut

It's nothing like United's 07-08 side. Tevez never played from the right, and Kane is nothing like Rooney. Rooney was a much more dynamic player, who nominally ran the channels to accomodate Tevez - who couldn't stretch play and constantly looked to play with his back to goal and just off the front line - and Ronaldo - who had evolved to the point where he would abandon his wide position in favour of making dangerous runs infield off the ball. Of the three of them, Kane is most similar to Tevez.

Not as similar as he is to another forward who joined the club during that period though - Dimitar Berbatov. Kane is basically an inferior version of the classy Bulgarian, and you will struggle to find anyone who believed he enhanced that side. Berbatov was a great player who didn't quite fit with the other attackers. Rooney was not like Robbie Keane, or like others such as Bellamy, Reus, Giuly or Griezmann who would provide constant movement and penetrative running playing off of him, and Ronaldo did not provide it in an ideal way from a wide position as, as mentioned, he would move infield and condense the space horizontally, rather than constantly playing on the defenders shoulders and making diagonal runs from the touchline like Henry, Eto'o, Aubameyang, Salah and Mbappe did/do.

Your team is closer to the side after the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez axis was replaced by a much more static and less effective one. Except it's worse.
The 08 side attack was fluid. There are plenty of times Tevez started on the right and ventured all over the field. How would you display Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez on a formation graphic at that time? Because almost every site has Tevez on the right despite the fact we know he moved all over the pitch.

No one is expecting Tevez to stay fixed on that RW like a traditional winger would. He's an inside forward losing down from the front and putting in the typical displays we saw of him consistently for a good few years at United.

Also how on earth is Kane inferior to Berbatov by the way? One is going to be all time top scorer in the PL and the other never quite established himself as an undisputed starter at the very top level. Yes Berba was silky smooth on the eye, but impact on a game its undoubted who the better player is.

Himannv

@P-Nut can you post a different image of your side or something? I can sort of tell what TR has in his lineup and the rough formation based on the OP but I don't have details on yours. Cannot see the formation graphics, hence the request.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Agree with everything apart from the Berba/Kane part.....dont rate Kane as highly as majority but he is comfortably better then the bulgarian fraud.

TheReligion

Abusive
Have to say I’m pretty surprised to be behind here and can’t counter anything as literally all but one of the posters for P haven’t said anything.

Feel pretty hard done by as I’ve given far more detail on to how I’ll play and how I’ll deal with Ronaldo. Also highlighting a number of weak areas I’ll exploit. In contrast (and no offence P!) you’ve just cracked on and let them play.

As pointed out by @GodShaveTheQueen I’ve put a bit of thought in my set up, even changing in dramatically since my last match. My midfield is particularly strong and designed to make it work. The quality of Eriksen, Scholes (as usual) and Essien (can’t believe that one) is being totally ignored. Even Ljundberg, who I haven’t touched on, was a quality operator. He was a player of the season himself!

P has a number of dysfunctional areas on the pitch which have been flagged up but ignored.

Not much else I can say at this point as it becomes an echo chamber.

P-Nut

@TheReligion obviously my viewpoints differ massively. I feel like I've explained exactly how we'll play using systems still fresh in everyone's minds so not too much explanation needed really.

It's a star studded fluid attack which have a template of how I'd expect them to play from the United 08 side, with the only change in player being Rooney for Kane which although not an exact same type of player, do share some tendencies like leading the line whilst being able to drop slightly deeper and leave space for inside forwards, whilst still having goal scoring numbers to prove they still affect games from that role.

The midfield has shifted away from the Liverpool model slightly to be a bog standard direct 433 midfield. Fabregas the box to box playmaker, Henderson the work horse and Fernandinho anchoring.

Defence doesn't really need too much explanation either. An attacking full back in Evra who has a prior relationship with his winger. A stopper and ball playing combo in Bruce and Kompany and finally a balanced full back in Coleman who despite his last couple years with Everton (career obviously tailing off now) was dependable and an attacking outlet for years.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That Tevez can't play from RW is a bit hilarious. Every dog and his master here has been put out on the wing and like Tevez couldn't do it.

The only mistake for P-nut was not going Tevez - Kane - Ronaldo as that would be more in line with that 2008 side. Just by looking at highlights it's obvious how much Tevez went from the left. It's appropriate that Kane has been given comparison with Berbatov because it was obvious what Fergie wanted for that attack. Cantona like figure who would be both facilitator and scorer which is funnily exactly what you get with Kane. As I say, I would personally, switch the wings, but can see it working even in this scenario.

If we are looking at just peak versions, p-nut has a GOAT version of a player for this draft in Fabregas also, so all together I went with p-nut because I like his attacking potential more.

And again, people with indicating the score. Not my game, not my worry, but even if am not playing it's a bit irritating.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion obviously my viewpoints differ massively. I feel like I've explained exactly how we'll play using systems still fresh in everyone's minds so not too much explanation needed really.

It's a star studded fluid attack which have a template of how I'd expect them to play from the United 08 side, with the only change in player being Rooney for Kane which although not an exact same type of player, do share some tendencies like leading the line whilst being able to drop slightly deeper and leave space for inside forwards, whilst still having goal scoring numbers to prove they still affect games from that role.

The midfield has shifted away from the Liverpool model slightly to be a bog standard direct 433 midfield. Fabregas the box to box playmaker, Henderson the work horse and Fernandinho anchoring.

Defence doesn't really need too much explanation either. An attacking full back in Evra who has a prior relationship with his winger. A stopper and ball playing combo in Bruce and Kompany and finally a balanced full back in Coleman who despite his last couple years with Everton (career obviously tailing off now) was dependable and an attacking outlet for years.
What would be the plan to stop Henry?

Also the right hand side with Tevez and Coleman is very vulnerable and looks like it would leave Coleman pretty exposed?

Is there any plan to stop Scholes getting on the ball and dictating play or would you accept not having possession and playing on the counter?

TheReligion

Abusive
That Tevez can't play from RW is a bit hilarious. Every dog and his master here has been put out on the wing and like Tevez couldn't do it.

The only mistake for P-nut was not going Tevez - Kane - Ronaldo as that would be more in line with that 2008 side. Just by looking at highlights it's obvious how much Tevez went from the left. It's appropriate that Kane has been given comparison with Berbatov because it was obvious what Fergie wanted for that attack. Cantona like figure who would be both facilitator and scorer which is funnily exactly what you get with Kane. As I say, I would personally, switch the wings, but can see it working even in this scenario.

If we are looking at just peak versions, p-nut has a GOAT version of a player for this draft in Fabregas also, so all together I went with p-nut because I like his attacking potential more.

And again, people with indicating the score. Not my game, not my worry, but even if am not playing it's a bit irritating.
RvP and Henry are both GOAT versions? And Scholes?

RE the last part it’s almost as annoying as people dropping posts without saying a word (all of them!) if doing that forces people to explain a little then that’s fine by me and makes it less clandestine. Surely better no?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
RvP and Henry are both GOAT versions? And Scholes?
They are, am just saying that for me it prevailed having Fabregas on top of that attack (some like more your attack, that's fine).

RE the last part it’s almost as annoying as people dropping posts without saying a word (all of them!) if doing that forces people to explain a little then that’s fine by me and makes it less clandestine. Surely better no?
Never it's been said you have to clarify your vote. As am aware though you shouldn't indicate the score.

It's a close game also, not sure why you are acting so suprised that p-nut has votes on his side. Surely this couldn't and shouldn't be a walkover. That would be the only strange thing in terms of voting.

TheReligion

Abusive
They are, am just saying that for me it prevailed having Fabregas on top of that attack (some like more your attack, that's fine).

Never it's been said you have to clarify your vote. As am aware though you shouldn't indicate the score.

It's a close game also, not sure why you are acting so suprised that p-nut has votes on his side. Surely this couldn't and shouldn't be a walkover. That would be the only strange thing in terms of voting.
It wasn’t close until a few hours ago so perhaps I’m vindicated?

No idea that was a rule. If I’ve broken any of them I’ll happily withdraw. No issues!

Enigma_87

You know who
For me it’s very close. I’ve voted for Religion as I like his team a tad more - especially the midfield as I don’t rate Hendo all that much.
But it could go either way. Ronaldo vs Trippier is certainly something I considered going back and forth of changing my vote…

TheReligion

Abusive
For me it’s very close. I’ve voted for Religion as I like his team a tad more - especially the midfield as I don’t rate Hendo all that much.
But it could go either way. Ronaldo vs Trippier is certainly something I considered going back and forth of changing my vote…
Yeah I did want to upgrade him but was nothing left and couldn’t pass on Henry. Felt that using Ljundberg on that side would help out somewhat too.

Still consider his right side equally as vulnerable though!

sherrinford

The 08 side attack was fluid. There are plenty of times Tevez started on the right and ventured all over the field. How would you display Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez on a formation graphic at that time? Because almost every site has Tevez on the right despite the fact we know he moved all over the pitch.

No one is expecting Tevez to stay fixed on that RW like a traditional winger would. He's an inside forward losing down from the front and putting in the typical displays we saw of him consistently for a good few years at United.

Also how on earth is Kane inferior to Berbatov by the way? One is going to be all time top scorer in the PL and the other never quite established himself as an undisputed starter at the very top level. Yes Berba was silky smooth on the eye, but impact on a game its undoubted who the better player is.
I don't recall a single occasion when Tevez started on the right - he has always been a deep-lying forward, been deployed centrally and has always favoured the left half of the pitch. And that was exactly how United used him/ how he played here.

I wouldn't call what we played a 4-3-3 - the only time I would say we used that formation was when Tevez was dropped for a midfielder (usually Anderson, but sometimes to get three of Carrick/ Scholes/ Fletcher/ Hargreaves on the pitch). When Tevez played, he played up front with Rooney in a 4-4-2 with Tevez dropping into the hole. Ronaldo typically played on the right but was completely freed from defensive duties, something which Tevez and whoever played on the other wing - Giggs/ Nani/ Park/ Hargreaves in the Champions League Final - facilitated with their conscientiousness out of possession.

I'm not disputing that Tevez will be fixed to the wing - on the contrary, I'm saying he absolutely will move infield into the pocket between midfield and attack whether you want him to or not. That is the problem - Tevez will want to play in the same areas as Kane, hampering them both.

I'm sure most believe Kane is better than Berbatov was, but surely you would agree they are similar players stylistically and would probably agree that Berbatov didn't quite fit in to the team with the two attackers you are trying to deploy Kane with here.

Agree with everything apart from the Berba/Kane part.....dont rate Kane as highly as majority but he is comfortably better then the bulgarian fraud.
It's just my opinion and one I really don't expect anyone to share. It wasn't actually necessary to mention it and I shouldn't have as it has only distracted from the point I was trying to make.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@sherrinford no worries point wasnt lost and as i said, i agree with it. Out of Rooney and Tevez it was the former that was moving more to the wide areas.

Himannv

Yeah, I agree as well. I felt Tevez pretty much played through the middle.

Not saying that Kane, Tevez, and Ronaldo wouldn't work though - I think it could. Just that it's probably not the same as the Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo combination.