Premier League Gameweek 1 + Midweek EFL

Withnail

Liverpool are lucky they're getting Chelsea away in next before they gel properly.

How this has ended up being a 3-1 cruise i do not know. Havertz anonymous, Werner despite the commentators salivating hasn't looked much more than an accelerator.
It's hard to know when the midfield has been so ineffective. He really should have been put through one on one at least twice.

Withnail

I dont understand why pundits and fans are writing chelsea off as challenging for the title or even coming second, yes their defence might be suspect but so is man city's and liverpool's defence has been looking very leaky since the restart of last season, where chelsea was short compared to liverpool and man city was in the fire power department with only really pulisic looking legit world class for them last season and that was only for the second half of the season but now they have an attack that can rival that of liverpool and man city's.
City and Liverpool's 'suspect defence' let in 33 and 35 goals last season, Chelsea's let in 54. That's a huge difference.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I dont understand why pundits and fans are writing chelsea off as challenging for the title or even coming second, yes their defence might be suspect but so is man city's and liverpool's defence has been looking very leaky since the restart of last season, where chelsea was short compared to liverpool and man city was in the fire power department with only really pulisic looking legit world class for them last season and that was only for the second half of the season but now they have an attack that can rival that of liverpool and man city's.
As @Withnail said — the gulf was a good 20 odd goals last season. They conceded the most in the top 10 by a fair distance.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool are lucky they're getting Chelsea away in next before they gel properly.

How this has ended up being a 3-1 cruise i do not know. Havertz anonymous, Werner despite the commentators salivating hasn't looked much more than an accelerator.
In fairness we're owed a few of these (assuming we hold on) given the amount of times we were shithoused last season.

First hour was worrying but since we took RLC off we have by in large controlled the game.

TheGodsInRed

They weren't consistent enough last season and I think that could be even more the case when they half the starting 11 will be made up of new players, and it's not like they have had a pre-season to gel.

They could be a very strong team in the second half of the season though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Because they have just been dominated by Brighton. Play like that every week and Chelsea will win nothing.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Shit performance take the three points. Get that mendy deal done asap.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I found Brighton pretty impressive before they ran out of steam.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I´m a bit baffled about Havertz positioning in this game? Has Lampard watched any of his games last season?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Average performance. Players still looked unfit at times. Could never get that final ball right for Werner. Can only improve from here right ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He can actually play from the right wing. He’s just not been good today. Anyway id expect him to play centrally once Ziyech is fit.
In Germany sure - England is different. He looked very tired chasing Brighton’s LB all game long.

alexthelion

Put it this way: where do you feel a cop may kill black people without restraint? US for sure, UK maybe, EU not yet.
OT but, come on, really how likely is it in the UK?

That's balderdash. BLM should only be a 'thing' in the US, although, saying that, perhaps there should be a PLM (police lives matter) in the US as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Best I've seen Kante play for a while, if we're keeping less possession this season and playing double pivot again will suit him. Havertz was a bit lost. Kepa should get a hand on the goal, dived over it.

Don't think many had those goal scorers down.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Best I've seen Kante play for a while, if we're keeping less possession this season and playing double pivot again will suit him. Havertz was a bit lost. Kepa should get a hand on the goal, dived over it.

Don't think many had those goal scorers down.
Felt sorry for Kante covering for Havertz, James, and Jorginho. Just overworking him at this point. If Jorginho starts against Liverpool, book that as a loss.

RooneyLegend

As I said a few weeks ago, Chelsea keep making these player changes in the market but seemingly have forgotten the most important change. Frank Lampard is not the right man for the job. He's a mediocre coach and that is unacceptable for club with title challenging ambitions.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As I said a few weeks ago, Chelsea keep making these player changes in the market but seemingly have forgotten the most important change. Frank Lampard is not the right man for the job. He's a mediocre coach and that is unacceptable for club with title challenging ambitions.
Who would you replace him with?

duffer

Scout
Graham Potter? You’d imagine he’d get top players to play some great football.
He's had 2 seasons in England, 1 he took Swansea to 10th in the Championship and the 2nd Brighton to 15th in the Prem.

He might be one for the future but if Chelsea sacked Lampard for Potter it would be ridiculous gamble.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty decent Premiership game week all in all. Great results for some all round.
Looking forward to the Manchester clubs joining in next week...the red side in particular:)

duffer

Scout
Fair point, do you expect Azpi to play more, was surprised to see him benched tonight?
He's coming back from an injury and Lampard loves him as much for his attitude as anything else. It might be different when Silva comes in (as the experienced head of the back line) and James offers so much more going forward (not just long range goals but his crossing from the right is very good).

I think if they're both fit all season, Azpi and James will play about 30 games each.

RooneyLegend

Someone explain to me why the clubs that had little to no cutting edge going forward last season have come back with the same group of attackers, what are they hoping will change?

Brighton last season could dominate games and not score, yet it's the same players. Sheffield had group of blokes upfront who combined probably didn't get to double digits, they are back again. Do prem clubs know that there are legions of footballers who dream of playing in the league?

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bad week for us with arsenal, liverpool, Chelsea all winning. Even wolves and everton will be tricky going forwards.