Premier League Gameweek 28-29

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's hilarious that people think that's a foul. Does Doku make contact with his chest? Yes he does. But why is that?

Doku is attempting to kick a football. All MacAllister is doing there is hurling himself into Doku. He's not even got eyes on the ball. He's deliberately throwing himself in to hopefully get a penalty. If you doubt that, look at his reaction: he's already screaming and clasping his chest before it's humanly possible to have felt any contact.

And for the record I thought Liverpool heartily deserved to win that. But MacAllister's was about the 4th dive by LFC in those closing few minutes, and it was great to see the refs standup. The Salah two were even worse.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
It's hilarious that people think that's a foul. Does Doku make contact with his chest? Yes he does. But why is that?

Doku is attempting to kick a football. All MacAllister is doing there is hurling himself into Doku. He's not even got eyes on the ball. He's deliberately throwing himself in to hopefully get a penalty. If you doubt that, look at his reaction: he's already screaming and clasping his chest before it's humanly possible to have felt any contact.

And for the record I thought Liverpool heartily deserved to win that. But MacAllister's was about the 4th dive by LFC in those closing few minutes, and it was great to see the refs standup. The Salah two were even worse.
Salah has always been a massive diver and sadly he haven't been called out for it enough

Oscar Bonavena

Stonewall penalty for me, but Oliver and VAR are not going to give an injury time penalty against their paymasters and lose those lucrative refereeing gigs in the UAE.

Of course, no conflict of interest at all.

CloneMC16

Oh, right you are

But I still don't know... If you run 20 yards to throw your chest into someone's studs I think it should be game on :D

This one was more of a foul, although everything about this remains funny (Vidic's approval, Lampard ignoring Drogba, the yellow card)

How the hell did Drogba get a yellow card after being assaulted by Evans? :lol:

That is shocking refereeing. That challenge is a red card offence in my view. It looks like Evans did it on purpose. That's basically a guaranteed red card nowadays.

chomsky89

How is anyone saying that isn’t a penalty? He didn’t get the ball and studded him in the chest
Because by today's rules, that situation seems to have all the needed checkmarks of "unavoidable contact"
Two players are going at the falling ball simultaneously and both are looking at the ball without either of them being in an obvious position to know that they can't reach the ball first.
VAR room thought this fell under that rule.

chomsky89

It’s even worse considering the defence Liverpool had yesterday - 2 kids. He should have been bullying them.
Did well under the circumstances I felt, and did not have that many opportunities to bully anyone. Not once did he miss a pass/loose the ball in those 4 quick and tight 1-2s in the first half which is not one of his strengths. He did very well to get it out to Doku when hit the post. He set up Alvarez for that chance when he had all the time in the world to shoot from 16 meters, but skyed it. Foden and Alvarez were forced to be more defensive, and that resulted in him having to try to take down every long ball in a sandwich. Not Easy. And it was a lot of those balls today from city.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am leaning towards not a penalty, although I don't think many would have complained if it were given.

I thought Haaland played well given what he is, but that is not saying much.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I am leaning towards not a penalty, although I don't think many would have complained if it were given.

I thought Haaland played well given what he is, but that is not saying much.
Any other game and it was a penalty. The refs just didn't want to make the call at that moment in that particular game.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Because by today's rules, that situation seems to have all the needed checkmarks of "unavoidable contact"
Two players are going at the falling ball simultaneously and both are looking at the ball without either of them being in an obvious position to know that they can't reach the ball first.
Don’t have your foot 5 feet in the air. It’s totally avoidable

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Unrelated to the penalty, but how the hell do LFC manage those energy levels? I've never seen a team still closing down City for the last 20 with that much energy. It's absolutely insane. That coupled with the (let's admit) outrageously passionate Kop really do give a huge advantage. I've not often seen City unable to string 5 passes together, the sheer tenacity of Liverpool is absurd. Rodri was an absolute monster though, he and Kovacic somehow stayed calm.

Reasonably terrified how our midfiled is going to cope.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
You'd be happy with playon if that happened in midfield?
Apparently
Ahhh, sorry I missed that Doku didn’t stud him in the face… that makes all the difference.

No foul then…
....well yeah. It literally does. His boot didn't go that high, and that would have been a foul if he did stud him in the face. It didn't go that high, he got the ball, and barely touched his chest. No foul.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
I wasn't massively cut up about the decision yesterday. But having seen the replay this morning that shows that MacAlister gets the ball first and deflects it onto Doku's shin (which makes the studs into his chest totally unnecessary) I can't believe VAR hasn't given it.

It's a decision that gets made in almost any other scenario other than it being the last minute of a potential title decider. The whole VAR team has bottled it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Apparently

....well yeah. It literally does. His boot didn't go that high, and that would have been a foul if he did stud him in the face. It didn't go that high, he got the ball, and barely touched his chest. No foul.
I literally don’t know what you were watching. I get football is opinions but to say his foot wasn’t THAT high or he BARELY touched (you mean studded) his chest. It’s like you didn’t see it (despite being shown on this thread numerous times).

And while I liked 80s/90s football, that’s when “he got the ball” stopped being an excuse.. good or bad, games moved on.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I literally don’t know what you were watching. I get football is opinions but to say his foot wasn’t THAT high or he BARELY touched (you mean studded) his chest. It’s like you didn’t see it (despite being shown on this thread numerous times).

And while I liked 80s/90s football, that’s when “he got the ball” stopped being an excuse.. good or bad, games moved on.
I've just watched it again, in real time and in slow motion, in the different angles, and I confidently stand by what I said. No penalty. But never mind eh? Keeps the title race interesting and Arsenal are still on top. Win win.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I’ve not heard it until yesterday and now it seems to be the new catchphrase.

Ive heard it when it comes to handball (the balls kicked at a player from short distance and he wasn’t making his body shape bigger deliberately) and I can see how two players sliding into a tackle (both fairly) might lead to one coming worse off.

But not for high boot/studs up… I don’t see how that‘s unavoidable (or accidental).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just watching MOTD2

I think more happened in the injury time of West Ham vs. Burnley then happened in our entire game on Saturday.

The_weatherman

Supports
Liverpool
Hi, first time poster :) I do think it was a penalty, didn't Howard Webb admit he should have sent Nigel De Jong off in the WC final, it was more force of course but players shouldn't have boots in their chest! But not really that fussed, this happens, more pleased about the fantastic performance.

However, I do feel that the debates about decisions are harming the game a bit, we all get so tribal that every decision is viewed by fans dependent on who it went for or against. I am now trying to view decisions more neutrally, and I really feel that we need to step up here as fans generally, go on social media and decisions are always the centre of attention. It's really tiresome. These decisions will be going against your team, whoever you support.

DonkeyChops

Liverpool got something even better than a penalty yesterday: the chance to be the victims.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've just watched it again, in real time and in slow motion, in the different angles, and I confidently stand by what I said. No penalty. But never mind eh? Keeps the title race interesting and Arsenal are still on top. Win win.
I think you’re correct. I don’t think it’s the horrendous decision Liverpool and Klopp are making out. It could be given either way.

The pundits said this (even Carragher)

Sky Sports' Roy Keane:

"Klopp makes a good point about Doku getting the ball but his foot is so high. I don't think there's any force behind it. So, I think the officials got it right. But he's a lucky boy."

Sky Sports' Jamie Carragher:

"I think he sees Mac Allister coming in and he's almost trying to pull his foot away. I think if that's being given on the pitch, it's not getting overturned.

"But once it's not given, he's not gone fully right through with it. I agree with that, but I do think there is an unwritten rule in football where a penalty has to be a bit more.

"When it's in the box, it has to be a little bit more. He's lucky but I can see why he's not given it."

I think Carragher is spot on here. It’s a real 50/50 decision.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Never a penalty and finally common sense prevails. You can see why officiating has degraded though with many convinced it’s a pen.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The kind you'd want the ref to go look at the screen for. Don't let VAR make the big iffy calls ffs.
What difference does it make which (equally qualified) ref makes the call? If anything, you'll get a more reasonable decision from the ref in the VAR room over the one on the pitch who is knackered and has had 22 players and thousands on fans screaming at him.

TheReligion

Abusive
The kind you'd want the ref to go look at the screen for. Don't let VAR make the big iffy calls ffs.
I think if the ref has seen it, and it’s not a clear and obvious error (which it isn’t as could go either way) then not sure why VAR would get involved if I’m honest or what good sending the match official to the monitor would achieve.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Liverpool got something even better than a penalty yesterday: the chance to be the victims.
Considering the magnitude of the mistake I think it's only fair we get all the 50/50 decisions now until the end of the season. It's Spurs all over again and it's only right if everything is in our favour to make up for a potentially title deciding error.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What difference does it make which (equally qualified) ref makes the call? If anything, you'll get a more reasonable decision from the ref in the VAR room over the one on the pitch who is knackered and has had 22 players and thousands on fans screaming at him.
Has a ref at any stage gone over to the monitor and said" No, I'm sticking with my original decision"? Not one clown is brave enough...

I think, looking back, David Ellery might have done (on the grounds 1. He was a stubborn bastard 2. Teachers never admit a mistake) as would Pierluigi Collina, who the PL should hire to oversee the aforementioned clowns