Premier League increase number of subs on bench from seven to nine

OleBoiii

Confusing wording. So if a team subs a player through concussion, is the opposition team allowed an extra sub?
No, the other team must hit one of their own players in the head until he gets a concussion.

The Oracle

What I found interesting last night, was despite being the biggest advocate of increasing the number of substitutions to 5, Jurgen Klopp didn't use a single substitution against Tottenham :rolleyes:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Is this just to rub it further into the noses of teams with big squads the players they're not able to use?

Has to be said, this new concussion injury sub rule could pave a way back into the game for Phil Jones. He's guaranteed to give himself a whack each game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great, another rule that favours Liverpool. Jordan Henderson and Curtis Jones can be subbed off at any time with no penalty.

Zen86

What I found interesting last night, was despite being the biggest advocate of increasing the number of substitutions to 5, Jurgen Klopp didn't use a single substitution against Tottenham :rolleyes:
And it'll still be the FAs fault when his players go down injured or start suffering from fatigue.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Because thats kinda the entire point of this rule. If a player has concussion, they should be giving their brain time to recover. Presumably there is a maximum period that would apply though like 10 days or something. It should also discourage teams from cheating the rule.

lysglimt

Scout
So if a player has a slight concussion he can be subbed even after 3 subs - but if he breaks his leg the team has to play on with 10 men. This makes perfect sense.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So if a player has a slight concussion he can be subbed even after 3 subs - but if he breaks his leg the team has to play on with 10 men. This makes perfect sense.
Yeah I get they have to make it easier to take the correct precautions, but I’m not sure this is the way. Ripe for abuse as well.

Surely an independent doctor would make more sense.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Because thats kinda the entire point of this rule. If a player has concussion, they should be giving their brain time to recover. Presumably there is a maximum period that would apply though like 10 days or something. It should also discourage teams from cheating the rule.
Yep.

redmanc

Yep came to say the exact same thing, all he's doing really is a) making himself look a tool and b) ensuring the FA don't increase subs from 3 to 5

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yep came to say the exact same thing, all he's doing really is a) making himself look a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime and b) ensuring the FA don't increase subs from 3 to 5
Don’t do that

UncleBob

Weird..I might have misunderstood completely, but i thought the entire point of the rule was to actively encourage teams to take less risks with player health. Take the player off if there's a fear of concussion, best case it isn't. If it is, well, have a minimum period of days..Forcing a player to miss the next round if further checks show that there wasn't a concussion makes no sense. If the club doctors can't be trusted when it comes to this sort of thing, then the FA will have to have their own medical staff for it attending every match.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like they've over complicated a bit

If someone gets a blow to the head, they're assessed by an independent doctor, if he rules they can't continue then they're enforced sub (which is extra to the normal 3).

No limit, no opposition team also getting an extra sub... just a sub if an independent doctor rules there has been a concussion.

city-puma

Not the best outcome for us, but still better than before cause we can have two more options on bench.

RonaldoVII

Yep came to say the exact same thing, all he's doing really is a) making himself look a tool and b) ensuring the FA don't increase subs from 3 to 5
It's not just Klopp, though. Pep and Ole have had just as much to say about it and fixture congestion affecting players etc and both managers made only one sub in the derby at the weekend.

Web of Bissaka

Pointless.
Making football more easy and easier... picking the "right set of players" for the bench is part of the strategy and battle. Managers that chose wrongly will lose. It's also why utility player are a good bench player because of their usefulness to play in multiple roles. So sad, they're no longer valuable now for top teams.

Football is getting boring.

And of course, not like this will meant managers will use up all the max subs.

Web of Bissaka

It's not just Klopp, though. Pep and Ole have had just as much to say about it and fixture congestion affecting players etc and both managers made only one sub in the derby at the weekend.
I know right.

Managers: "Fixtures are bad, player's fitness gets worse, too many injuries"

Also the same managers: Made no subs or just one sub in a game.

Trash.

UncleBob

How is it interesting? The entire point of 5 subs is to maximize the chance of resting as many players as possible when given the chance, meaning when situation allows it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Klopp and Pep have been pretty clear on this, I don't get what you guys aren't understanding. They want 5 subs because they are afraid to use their alloted 3 in case they make the subs and a player gets injured. Its literally their entire argument. We can't make all our subs because injuries are too common this season, players are without a proper pre-season plus the amount of football with no break plus how much injuries are up.

They don't make subs in case someone pulls up injured afterwards.

The Oracle

Klopp and Pep have been pretty clear on this, I don't get what you guys aren't understanding. They want 5 subs because they are afraid to use their alloted 3 in case they make the subs and a player gets injured. Its literally their entire argument. We can't make all our subs because injuries are too common this season, players are without a proper pre-season plus the amount of football with no break plus how much injuries are up.

They don't make subs in case someone pulls up injured afterwards.
In that case, any logical person would say use 2 substitutions each game, and the 3rd substitution is to only be used if a player gets injured and has to come off.

For Pep to not use a single substitution at home against Fulham the other week, and for Klopp not to use a single substitution against Tottenham last night, points to one of two things:
- They are sticking two fingers up to the FA
- And/or they are hypocrites

padr81

Supports
Man City
In that case, any logical person would say use 2 substitutions each game, and the 3rd substitution is to only be used if a player gets injured and has to come off.

For Pep to not use a single substitution at home against Fulham the other week, and for Klopp not to use a single substitution against Tottenham last night, points to one of two things:
- They are sticking two fingers up to the FA
- And/or they are hypocrites
Or they are telling the truth and doing what he said and leaving it super late to make changes because they are worried. I mean Klopp literally spells it out when on about Chris Wilder. Wilder openly admits he's only thinking of Sheffield United. Yet people are trying to make out Klopp and co. are the ones being selfish.

Klopp couldn't explain it any better but people just want a reason to shit on him. He even refers to Brighton getting two muscle injuries in one game.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...p-five-subs-would-not-be-for-tactical-changes
So to say he's being a hypocrite is unfair, he literally was subbing on Keita in the 90th minute yesterday.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Confusing wording. So if a team subs a player through concussion, is the opposition team allowed an extra sub?
Yes, it's called the Concussion Volounteer Initiative, or VELOCICUSSION for short.