Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

croadyman

An average of 39k is better than I expected to be honest - although I'm not sure it brings in enough money to be worth the bad PR.

I guess the other point is there's a big disparity between the lower performing games and those performing well. The more popular teams are generally on Sky/BT more anyway and it's the Fulham V West Brom type game that will bring it down.

Also worth noting average doesn't include Brighton V West Brom from yesterdya which you'd expect to be pretty low.
WBA will have been on PPV three Monday evenings in a row after the game next week

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If i could get every United game PPV, CL included for a fiver, it would be a good deal.

Not such a good deal at 17 euros agreed.
I like watching other games too, sometimes more than a united match so I’d hate for club pay per view to be brought in as I would never pay to watch another team, even if paying for just united costing a fiver game was cheaper than the current sky Bt etc deals.

I’m thinking the best plan going forward is to continue losing as much interest in football so I don’t ‘need’ to see any games at all, just watch some highlights and have a passing interest, luckily this VAR nonsense and no crowds is helping that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So an average of £550-600k per game? I have no idea about the operating costs etc but that sounds like a success to me. Cnuts.
Success for Sky and BT. The clubs won’t get much of that.

Factor in the insane loss of revenue from Pubs and everyone is still making far less than before.

My mate owns a pretty successful pub in West London. Sky/BT fees were mental. He’s not paying it during Covid. I’d imagine many or most have gone the same way.

Don't Kill Bill

As I feared the United v Newcastle game got close to 100 000 subscriptions and the average overall is around 39 000 per game which is what the Premier League were aiming for .

I knew United fans would be stupid enough to pay for this and this will just continue until it becomes the norm
I wonder what they could sell the advertising for if they hadn't charged PPV there would have been millions a extra viewers?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's hope the lock down hypes up pressure on the league to bin this PPV nonsense, at least temporarily.

Jack-C20

If only there was some middle ground between not showing them and charging £15 for them... can’t a couple of well paid marketing people come up with some sort of compromise?

Chipper

Adulterer.
I doubt it. It costs them money to broadcast, so why would they with no revenue?
I doubt it too, but don't a lot of broadcasters use the 'world feed' and couldn't they use that?

Pictures and commentators already supplied as far as I understand it, no need pay your own hosts/pundits/commentators or hire a studio. The TV stations in different countries using that setup will still be making a profit as the advertising space they sell before/after/at half time will bring in more revenue than whatever they're paying for it.

Then many other places are paying for the pictures/ambient sound but have a commentator or two sitting in a broom cupboard somewhere doing their own comms so it's sort of a hybrid. That's cheap again as no need for commentators to go to the stadium, no need to have a full studio with cameras etc. and of course not having their own cameras at the match itself.

The pictures will exist and will be beamed around the world already so why not just tap into it and cut down on the presentation standard and cost? I'm sure they'd get more viewers/more advertising revenue from a live PL match with lower production value than they would showing a repeat of the Greatest Goals of 2004 or something.

Last edited:
I doubt it too, but don't a lot of broadcasters use the 'world feed' and couldn't they use that?

Pictures and commentators already supplied as far as I understand it, no need pay your own hosts/pundits/commentators or hire a studio. The TV stations using that setup will still be making a profit as the advertising space they sell before/after/at half time will bring in more revenue than whatever they're paying for it.

Then many other places are paying for the pictures/ambient sound but have a commentator or two sitting in a broom cupboard somewhere doing their own comms. That's cheap again as no need to go to the stadium, no need to have a full studio with cameras etc.

The pictures will exist and will be beamed around the world already so why not just tap into it?
im Not sure on the ins and outs, and clearly there are some sunk costs, and costs they need to incur just to get the highlights as well.

im sure it works in their favour not to show every game, as a scarce product is attractive.

Santos J

Ok but I can’t get the info on whether they’ll still show the matches?
I doubt it. It costs them money to broadcast, so why would they with no revenue?
Yeah they're gonna be shown

"The move follows a huge backlash against the £14.95 charge and from after the international break matches not selected by Sky Sports or BT Sport are once again set to be shown on free-to-air TV. This weekend’s matches not selected by Sky or BT – including West Brom vs Tottenham and Arsenal vs Aston Villa – will remain PPV matches."

"The move follows a huge backlash against the £14.95 charge and from after the international break matches not selected by Sky Sports or BT Sport are once again set to be shown on free-to-air TV. This weekend’s matches not selected by Sky or BT – including West Brom vs Tottenham and Arsenal vs Aston Villa – will remain PPV matches."
interesting. Quite surprised. It will dilute the value of future TV deals I think.

whoever thought £14.95 was a good price needs to grove their head a wobble. You can buy a day pass for now TV for £9.99, and watch the game you really want to watch, i.e your team and a couple more. £5-8 would be more like it.

EngimaMK

interesting. Quite surprised. It will dilute the value of future TV deals I think.

whoever thought £14.95 was a good price needs to grove their head a wobble. You can buy a day pass for now TV for £9.99, and watch the game you really want to watch, i.e your team and a couple more. £5-8 would be more like it.
Yep, I would be tempted by this for a reasonable fee. 15quid is ludicrous. If they're gonna remain so greedy, I'll keep visiting rivers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They screwed themselves by showing the extra games for free in the first lockdown, so were never going to get away with PPV after that, and definitely not for £14.95.
They most likely looked at championship, L1 & L2 charging £10 a game, and wrongly thought £15 was logical for a higher quality game.
Overlooking that those lower league teams season ticket holders are getting the home games free via deals with their clubs, and even some midweek aways.

The key extra thing to note is that most of those games can only be seen on the ifollow platform, you can't find streams online. You can tap into some clever VPN shenanighans, but firstly you're still paying that way, and secondly it's a bit dodgier than mere stream use, as you're linking your debit/credit card to your account.

Meanwhile, premier league fans have typically already paid for sky & bt, and may well have shelled out for a season ticket, so to try and smash them a 4th time was really optimistic, when they can just click a button and find the game elsewhere.

lsd

The Oracle
They will be showing every game the way they were doing before.

Devil may care

Agreed, they'd have still gotten some push back but a fiver for a game would have been more palatable to most fans.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Have any viewing numbers been released for the PPV games we've had so far?

fps

Ah great. I got rid of Sky Sports but an extra Bt Sport match a weekend would be lovely.

fps

Agreed, they'd have still gotten some push back but a fiver for a game would have been more palatable to most fans.
I’m glad they were this stupid about it, because the idea of it being normalised to pay ppv on top of a subscription fee on a service already also using advertising really boils my piss. I hope fans don’t go for it regardless of how it’s done, we all know how that would end up, all too top matches on ppv.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah great. I got rid of Sky Sports but an extra Bt Sport match a weekend would be lovely.
Bt especially is poor value with just one premier game a week. Pushing that to 2 or maybe even 3, plus a month with euro games and it's suddenly decent value.

Green_Red

Don't know if my point here has been made already, but.
You're lucky in the fact you support Man Utd with the amount they're on Sky/BT in the normal manner.
Us fans of clubs who only get shown the minimal amount they have to show teams will pay a lot more for PPV over a season.
Yep, my missus family are all Cov fans and have no gripes paying the £10 PPV to watch them. Plus they feel like its a way to support their club financially when not able to attend games so I completely understand where you're coming from.

Green_Red

WBA on PPV four weeks in a row is an absolute joke for their fans
Yea thats taking the absolute piss. On nowtv they do a pass that is £9.99 to watch all sky sports channels for the day, which could be two games on a Saturday or Sunday but here WBA fans have had to pay £60 to watch 4 games. Thats robbery without violence. No sports fan out there should be legitimising this type of thing by paying it.